2020 Rival Series Vicissitude Predictions Competition (RSVP)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rob Dylan

2020 Rival Series Vicissitude Predictions Competition (RSVP)

Post by Rob Dylan »

Whilst the forum was gone for six months, the members of the temporary forum took it upon themselves to continue the Predicament Predictions forum in the hope of getting themselves ahead in the championship should the forum return. I am therefore counting up their scores in a separate championship to see who of them was the best predictor of 2020. All scores from the main PP championship will be brought forward.

Russia
Our first race of the RSVP championship was in Russia, and long-time frontrunner dr-baker takes his first win of the season, in what was a case of everyone getting the answers mostly right, but usually off by a position or two. The results are as follows:

Results
1. dr-baker 15
2. RAK 12
3. dinizintheoven 12
4. rachel1990 8

Carrying their scores from the first three rounds, the RSVP championship looks as follows:
1. RAK 39
2. dinizintheoven 38
3. dr-baker 31
4. rachel1990 8

See you all at the Eiffel GP :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Re: 2020 Rival Series Vicissitude Predictions Competition (R

Post by Rob Dylan »

Eiffel GP
Three participants returned. dr-baker, perennial frontrunner but still yet to win a series, was leading this competition until RAK pipped him at the very last minute. The scores were close, and once again quite low. Here they are:

Results
RAK 13
dr-baker 12
dinizintheoven 10

RAK wins their first race of the season so far. Another close result means that the championship is still all to play for, though going the way of multiple champion RAK for the time being. Here are the standings:

Standings
1. RAK 52
2. dinizintheoven 48
3. dr-baker 43

See you in (checks notes) Portugal :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Portugal
Only two participants for Portimao, and both our contestants guessed the top three perfectly in the exact order. How on earth did they both guess that it would be Hamilton-Bottas-Leclerc?!?!?!?!?!?!

Sarcasm over, I think that statistically it is the most frequent podium in history now.

Results
RAK 20
dr-baker 18

RAK keeps the lead with five rounds remaining. Here are the standings:

1. RAK 72
2. dr-baker 61
3. dinizintheoven 48

See you in San Marino :dance:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'm already conceding the win to RAK. Unless there was one round that he missed?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

San Marino*
*Yes I know it was a different name but I'm not typing it out
dinizintheoven returned for the San Marino round and immediately won it! A predictable podium at the front (bar Ricciardo) meant some easy points to bag, but RAK was particularly impressive in guessing some places exactly correct, 7th and 8th particularly! Here are the results:

dinizintheoven 17
RAK 15
dr-baker 14*
*funniest race title

All the results have been relatively close to one another - we haven't seen anyone get something drastically wrong or right. I wonder what people would have predicted before Monza (and I'm looking forward to Sakhir!)

Here are the standings:

1. RAK 87
2. dr-baker 75
3. dinizintheoven 65

RAK is just consistently scoring ahead of dr-baker every round by a point or two, but that's all it takes! Four more rounds to go, and unless some major crazy stuff happens (again, Sakhir!) I'm guessing at an RAK championship. BUT we don't know yet, let's see what happens.

See you in (looks at notes) Turkey! :dance:
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Turkey
So after eight rounds, it seems like this championship is unassailable for RAK's rivals. Once again they win, their third win in four rounds, whilst perpetual dr-mansell I mean dr-baker remains second in the championship. Here are the results and standings:

RAK 14
dr-baker 11

Standings
1 RAK 101
2 dr-baker 86
3 dinizintheoven 65

RAK now has a 15 point lead, which in the current context means about a win lead, with three rounds remaining. It will take a miracle for him to be beaten.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:, whilst perpetual dr-mansell I mean dr-baker remains second in the championship.

More like Barrichello, Coulthard or Moss.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Bahrain
The first round at Bahrain finally went the way of dr-baker, if only by one point. Three similar predictions led to three almost identical scores, with the doctor winning by just a single point over his two rivals for the first time since Russia. Here are the results:

dr-baker 16
dinizintheoven 15
RAK 15

Standings
1 RAK 116
2 dr-baker 102
3 dinizintheoven 80

By the mathematical possibilities of possibilities, dinizintheoven can still win this, but after missing a few rounds is likely completely out of the picture. Unless they make any major mistakes, RAK's consistency looks to have won them yet another championship. But let's see what happens.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Even when I tried to gain the unfair advantage of opening threads on a temporary forum with only a few entries, I still take the Barrichello position...
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Shakira
So the 2020 Shakira Grand Prix was somewhat unpredictable, and as you can imagine that unless our contestants would guess a Pérez / Ocon / Stroll podium, points would be low. Aaaaaaaand points were low:

RAK 8
dr-baker 7

And yet STILL in spite of this madness, RAK still manages to get an extra point over dr-baker. The championship is all but sealed at this point, but let's look at the standings going into Abu Dhabi.

1. RAK 124
2. dr-baker 109
3. dinizintheoven 80

Mathematically dinizintheoven, who has missed a few rounds, can no longer win the championship. RAK has a 15 point lead which is basically unassailable unless he doesn't take part in Abu Dhabi. But let's wait and see what happens.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:Shakira
So the 2020 Shakira Grand Prix was somewhat unpredictable, and as you can imagine that unless our contestants would guess a Pérez / Ocon / Stroll podium, points would be low. Aaaaaaaand points were low:

RAK 8
dr-baker 7

And yet STILL in spite of this madness, RAK still manages to get an extra point over dr-baker. The championship is all but sealed at this point, but let's look at the standings going into Abu Dhabi.

1. RAK 124
2. dr-baker 109
3. dinizintheoven 80

Mathematically dinizintheoven, who has missed a few rounds, can no longer win the championship. RAK has a 15 point lead which is basically unassailable unless he doesn't take part in Abu Dhabi. But let's wait and see what happens.

Shakira! Love it. Wonder who came up with that one?! :facepalm:
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Abby Dabby
The season finale, and RAK goes in with a 15-point lead. dr-baker probably wanted a predictable race that he could capitalise the most points from. Unfortunately for him and everyone, we got a Verstappen win and all the players in the wrong place - no-one got the podium finishers correctly. Let's see the results:

Results
dr-baker 13
RAK 12
dinizintheoven 8

So dr-baker does win the race, which is exactly what he needed to do, but RAK's powers are simply too strong. Like in Bahrain, the defending champion of 2018 and 2019 managed to only lose races by a point or two, keeping that gap consistent ahead of his chief rival. Therefore the standings are as you can guess:

Standings
1 RAK 136
2 dr-baker 122
3 dinizintheoven 88
4 Rachel1990 8

And there you have it, folks. The three participants in the breakaway series all put up a very good fight - no embarrassing performances but also no crazily good predictions. The similarity in what people were guessing allowed RAK to keep the lead, and neither baker nor dinizintheoven made the gamble that could have overhauled that lead. But that's all, folks. Hope you enjoyed the 2020 RSVP Championship.

See you in 2021 for the reunification :dance:
RAK

Post by RAK »

With Mercedes being so dominant over the season and little at the top end to shake them off the podium, the same conservative strategy I've been pursuing over the last couple of seasons has once again worked in my favour. I kind of get the feeling that next season will be similar, albeit with more potential competitors than just the few people who made their way over to the temporary forum and that it'll take a big shake-up in 2022 to make a more adventurous prediction strategy work out.

Thanks to dr-baker for keeping the competition running and I hope to see him right up there at the top in the next championship.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RAK wrote:Thanks to dr-baker for keeping the competition running and I hope to see him right up there at the top in the next championship.

Thanks. I was doing it to try and gain the unfair advantage and win this, but alas! It was not to be. Maybe next time, as you suggest.

And didn't Rachel1990 enter a few rounds of this on the temporary forum?
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dr-baker wrote:And didn't Rachel1990 enter a few rounds of this on the temporary forum?
She did, yes: the first extra round in Russia. I can add her to the standings.

Also @RAK, due to the unofficialness of this competition, you will unfortunately not be receiving a prize this year.
(Though I'm not sure if my friend even got around to sending you your 2019 prize... :oops: )
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:
dr-baker wrote:And didn't Rachel1990 enter a few rounds of this on the temporary forum?
She did, yes: the first extra round in Russia. I can add her to the standings.

For some reason, I thought she entered more rounds than that. Ahh well, never mind. In which case, she was very much the MasterCard Lola of the series.
MCard LOLA
RAK

Post by RAK »

Rob Dylan wrote:(Though I'm not sure if my friend even got around to sending you your 2019 prize... :oops: )

I don't believe so and having been working from home for almost the last year, I wouldn't have received it if it was shipped between those times, but with the rumours of Rich Energy returning (https://twitter.com/decalspotters/status/1358117651583754245), the prize may be all the more relevant now...
Last edited by RAK on 09 Feb 2021, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Crikey o'blimey, I won a round. I'm getting a slight hint of what it must be like to be Pierre Gasly, or Sergio Pérez, or Vittorio Brambilla, or Alessandro Nannini.

Actually, with my current brush with medical trouble, I'm getting a better idea of what it's like to be Alessandro Nannini than I would like, and I don't mean I've taken up smoking and put on about six stone.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Crikey o'blimey, I won a round. I'm getting a slight hint of what it must be like to be Pierre Gasly, or Sergio Pérez, or Vittorio Brambilla, or Alessandro Nannini.

Actually, with my current brush with medical trouble, I'm getting a better idea of what it's like to be Alessandro Nannini than I would like, and I don't mean I've taken up smoking and put on about six stone.

How is your health? I seem to remember you saying something about it at some point, but I can't remember the details.

And well done on winning a round!
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:How is your health? I seem to remember you saying something about it at some point, but I can't remember the details.

One and a half weeks into what I suspect is a trapped nerve in the elbow I wrecked eleven years ago. At this stage that probably rules out something like MS. Probably.

If it doesn't clear up by the end of March I'll investigate further. Right now I have no desire whatsoever to be near, let alone inside a medical establishment. Or anywhere else, really.
Last edited by dinizintheoven on 11 Feb 2021, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Actually, with my current brush with medical trouble, I'm getting a better idea of what it's like to be Alessandro Nannini than I would like, and I don't mean I've taken up smoking and put on about six stone.

One and a half weeks into what I suspect is a trapped nerve in the elbow I wrecked eleven years ago. At this stage that probably rules out something like MS. Probably.

If it doesn't clear up by the end of March I'll investigate further. Right now I have no desire whatsoever to be near, let alone inside a medical establishment. Or anywhere else, really.

Chances are, if you get a GP appointment at the moment, you're quite likely to get a telephone consultation. Or, if you are still going to physical supermarkets in person, try popping to your local pharmacist, if you happen to have a supermarket nearby with a pharmacy within.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:Chances are, if you get a GP appointment at the moment, you're quite likely to get a telephone consultation.

Which is what happened, and is all that was needed, under the circumstances.

dr-baker wrote:Or, if you are still going to physical supermarkets in person...

Bwaaaa ha ha ha ha! What a crazy concept! I haven't done that since 22nd July 2020. Six and a half months of online-only grocery shopping, and if t'interwebnet doesn't have it, I don't get it. And to think that until last year, I considered having your groceries delivered to your front door via the internet to be the exclusive preserve of lazy students and other smeg heads.

One day, if I live to see that day, I may once again venture past the threshold of my local Tesco (which, by that time, will be approximately eight miles away). It'll be a strange and surreal experience to be doing that for the first time since I was still in my 40s (and with a zero on the end, at that). And then, after about two minutes, the novelty will wear off and I'll make a beeline for the checkouts and the exit with minimum distraction.

Six months without a bag of crisps. Six months with UHT milk. Six months with nowt but porridge for breakfast. But also, six months with a very well stocked freezer and a load of tins of soup and baked beans littering the lounge because there's no room left in the kitchen. It could be worse. But it still isn't normal.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Yep, there sure is a load of not-normal going around at the moment.
MCard LOLA