Sprint races in place of quali being discussed again

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
RAK

Sprint races in place of quali being discussed again

Post by RAK »

Looks like they're once again bringing up the idea of replacing qualifying with a sprint race. https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55992727

Just seems to me to be a change in the wrong direction - qualifying as it stands works, more or less and there are things they could do to spice up the action that would be a lot better. Getting rid of some of the worst tracks, like Sochi and Yas Marina, for instance...
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Rob Dylan

Re: Sprint races in place of quali being discussed again

Post by Rob Dylan »

Any shake-up is always welcome for me, but I agree that this weird need to change up qualifying always makes me laugh, as quali is something that most people don't see any immediate need to change (even if better versions perhaps existed in the past).

Although it takes time away from fans, I'm actually happy they're reducing practice times on Friday to reduce the amount of testing, for example.

And I even heard talk of a reverse-grid situation that would take place after either the sprint or regular quali, and reverse grids are just strange to me. Whatever way I work them out in my head, they always seem like bullpoop and unfair to somebody for no meritorious reason. None of that, please.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Kuwashima wrote:It just seems inconceivable that Formula One could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

Someone who has access to the old podcasts, make that into a standalone sound clip.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Kuwashima wrote:It just seems inconceivable that Formula One could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

Someone who has access to the old podcasts, make that into a standalone sound clip.

I have access. Any memories of where in the podcasts I could find that quotation?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-braced-for-sprint-race-engine-freeze-decisions/5379695/?ic_source=home-page-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-1

Things to consider from here:
-> 100KM Sprint Qualifying Race on saturday, for the Canadian, Brazilian and Italian Grand Prix, with qualifying proper moving to Friday, to set the grid for that race.
-> Engine freeze from 2022 until 2025, something that Red Bull has been pushing on quite a bit.
-> Portuguese Grand Prix getting confirmed, which should be announced tomorrow (according to some information in the portuguese press).

On the sprint qualifying race, I'm not exactly sure if its going to work as intended. The problem of the quality of racing and dirty air won't help, and I'm not exactly sure how this will play out into the finances of the teams. F1 is trying to cut costs, and I'm not sure if this will help exactly. More races of MERCEDESWINSLOL won't be exactly good for anyone, and given its basically a 100km dash, considering Mercedes gap to the rest, it shouldn't be a problem dominating the races.

On the engine freeze, I hope they don't aproove it to be honest. Even though I like the idea of making engines more balanced - ala Indycar - freezing them into 2025 because Red Bull don't have a particularly high clue of how to develop their soon-to-be Honda, and they clearly don't want to become Renault's customer team again. The proposed balance of performance for the freeze does not give me any particular hope, as BoP is just another word to say "we screwed up the ruleset, so here is a short-term fix for it".

And Portuguese Grand Prix, yay! Should be without audience, given as things in October didn't really... go smoothly on that front.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Seems they may award points for it...
In which case, I really really don't like it. The championship should reflect the performance in Grands Prix only, for me. Not performance in quallie, in sprint races, in FP1, in 5 a side, in Esports etc .
And it'll devalue the GP. Takes away from the focus on Sunday for racing
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

Also won't that mean the people who actually pay to sit in the stands get less track action over the weekend, if FP2 is replaced by qualification, and FP3 and quali on Saturday are replaced by a 30 minutes sprint race?

Are they banking on spills in the sprint race leading to Parc Fermé breaking fixes to cars to shuffle the grid around? Sounds like something Liberty Media would think is a good idea.

And if you basically only have one FP session before qualifying, when are they supposed to give development drivers a go in the car?
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Fetzie wrote:Also won't that mean the people who actually pay to sit in the stands get less track action over the weekend, if FP2 is replaced by qualification, and FP3 and quali on Saturday are replaced by a 30 minutes sprint race?

Are they banking on spills in the sprint race leading to Parc Fermé breaking fixes to cars to shuffle the grid around? Sounds like something Liberty Media would think is a good idea.

And if you basically only have one FP session before qualifying, when are they supposed to give development drivers a go in the car?

All good points. I'm not a fan of cutting track time; those cars should be seen as much as possible. And yes; what about those development drivers?
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
mario

Post by mario »

Miguel98 wrote:On the sprint qualifying race, I'm not exactly sure if its going to work as intended. The problem of the quality of racing and dirty air won't help, and I'm not exactly sure how this will play out into the finances of the teams. F1 is trying to cut costs, and I'm not sure if this will help exactly. More races of MERCEDESWINSLOL won't be exactly good for anyone, and given its basically a 100km dash, considering Mercedes gap to the rest, it shouldn't be a problem dominating the races.

Firstly, I have to say that it is a welcome sight to see the old forum back up - couldn't find the old temporary forum, and thought this place was going to end up vanishing for good...

On a second note, with regards to the sprint qualifying race, right now there are no details on how exactly this system is meant to work - one of the very first tasks the FIA has set itself is to create a working group to try and flesh that idea out into a workable proposal. There's no indication on how this is supposed to interact with other regulations too, such as the tyre allocations, engine and gearbox usage etc. - again, that is very much in the "to be confirmed" category.

With regards to your question about how exactly this is meant to play out in the finances of the team - according to the BBC, Liberty Media have offered to pay each team $75,000 per sprint race. That is proving to be a sticking point, as, even if the cars are not damaged during the race, the teams probably won't be making much, if any, profit from that sprint race - it looks like Liberty Media would be skimming most of the profits from those sprint races off for themselves. If anything, the potential for cars to be damaged in some way during those sprint races suggests most teams would probably end up making a net loss on those sprint races.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Sprint races? Sounds like EA Sports have taken over the decision making at Liberty.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:Sprint races? Sounds like EA Sports have taken over the decision making at Liberty.

EA Sports. It's in the game.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!