Sabine Schmitz (1969-2021)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rob Dylan

Sabine Schmitz (1969-2021)

Post by Rob Dylan »

This was an absolutely unexpected one that came this morning. I actually just a few days back watched an old episode of Top Gear where she laps around the Nurburgring faster than Jeremy in a Ford Transit. An absolute sport and I would say a great example of women leading in motorsport.

I honestly had no idea she was even unwell, so this one came as a double-shock. What a shame. RIP.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dinizintheoven

Re: Sabine Schmitz (1969-2021)

Post by dinizintheoven »

Here's something none of you know. A year and a half ago, I was assessed for a certain neurological defect a year and a half ago (after a year and a half of waiting for it), and if I said the results were positive I can almost hear the screams of "IMAGINE MY SHOCK!" from all parts of the world, even Australia if J&E are still occasionally watching. Anyway, one of the tests - given to a grown 40-year-old man, don't forget - was to compose a short story inspired by some objects - and my assessor gave me a suitable example using some of the available objects, and I couldn't use those. I was actually hoping that she wouldn't pick the playing card (Queen of Spades) and the toy Mercedes SL because as soon as I saw those, I was already forming an idea... The Queen of Spades was Sabine, and she was driving a lap of the Nürburgring in the Merc, showing a seven-foot-tall curly-headed thug how it's supposed to be done. Meanwhile, James May (represented by a miniature koosh ball, which his hair looks a bit like) would simultaneously drive a lap around the Top Gear test track, in a 1.3-litre Proton (represented by a red wooden cube, because it looks vaguely similar). Sabine, of course, blitzed the 'Ring in record time while Captain Sense Of Direction was still trying to find his way around Chicago. And on completing her lap, she handed over to The Orang-utan who said "Right! Watch this! POWER!" and ploughed into the Armco on the first corner. Meanwhile, at Dunsfold, Captain Slow was just approaching the Hammerhead.

I had no idea Sabine was cancer-ridden at the time. I'd still have told the same story even if I knew, although it'd have been in the back of my mind. She's the first Top Gear presenter to die that I've actually been alerted to, as none of the others in Motoring Journalism Valhalla I'd ever recognised as Top Gear presenters. As well as the Wikipedia article, I found a summary by Gavin "Big-Surname" Braithwaite-Smith of PetrolBlog (which I'm a fold reader of) of all the presenters from 1977 (that he knew of) to what was then the present day. I'd not heard of Tom Coyne, Barrie Gill, Bob Friend or Tom Boswell, Frank Page had a long stint (1980-88) but that's before I was watching (and I don't recall seeing him on any pre-1989 clips that turn up on YouTube) ,and I'd never realised that Russell Bulgin and Sir Stirling Moss were ever part of the programme.

So this is the first Top Gear death that actually hits me directly... and only four days after Murray Walker. Auf Wiedersehen und Vielen Dank for all the laps, Sabine.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Re: Sabine Schmitz (1969-2021)

Post by dr-baker »

Such a young age to die, and yet I still hadn't realised that she was in her fifties. I could have sworn she was 10 years younger. Having the cancer since 2017 would explain why she didn't continue in her Top Gear role beyond 2016, a programme I enjoyed watching her on because she always seemed to be so happy and full of life.

RIP.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA