Reject of the Race - Styria (POLL UP)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Reject of the Race!

Poll ended at 02 Jul 2021, 13:21

#2 Drivers (Pérez, Bottas, Ocon, Ricciardo, Latifi)
6%
Daniel Ricciardo
21%
George Russell's luck
48%
Valtteri Bottas spinning in the pitlane
24%

Total votes: 33

Londoner

Reject of the Race - Styria (POLL UP)

Post by Londoner »

1. George Russell's luck. :cry: :cry: :cry:

2. Daniel Ricciardo. Appalling weekend all round.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Re: Reject of the Race - Styria

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

RUS - He is literally cursed
RIC - He is literally a curse
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

+1 on Russel's luck / Russel's car. Especially as it looked like "Mr. Saturday" was actually going to do it on Sunday for a change.

Sergio Perez & Valtteri Bottas should also be a consideration given they fell more than a pitstop away from their team mates. If it wasn't for Formula 1.5 they'd have been well down the order.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

George Russell's car has to be ROTR. Honourable mention to Ricciardo and Ocon, who were nowhere, and to the rain, which was nowhere to be seen.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1. George Russell's Williams (specifically not Russell himself)

2. Bottas-Perez AWS overtake graphic that predicted an easy overtake four laps from the line
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

George Russell's car - running 8th on merit but his car let him down.

The Merc and RBR number two drivers running in Formula 1.25 - a pit stop down on their team mate, never really looked like they were capable of challenging for more than third.

DHM for Leclerc after collecting pieces of carbon fibre for his collection from half the grid on the first lap.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Another vote for Russell's luck. Every time he's about to score points, the car breaks down or something else goes wrong. Dishonorable mention to Williams for the very same reason – the only luck they've had is that Haas is so slow, otherwise they'd be last in the championship by now (and indeed, the only car they got to the finish was behind Schumacher).
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Ricciardo - where has it gone?

(2) Russell's car/luck - why?
mario

Post by mario »

Meatwad wrote:Another vote for Russell's luck. Every time he's about to score points, the car breaks down or something else goes wrong. Dishonorable mention to Williams for the very same reason – the only luck they've had is that Haas is so slow, otherwise they'd be last in the championship by now (and indeed, the only car they got to the finish was behind Schumacher).

To be fair, that was also largely caused by the Leclerc-Gasly clash on the opening lap, with Latifi then having to pit for repairs after Gasly lost control due to suspension damage and ended up clipping Latifi.

I expect Russell's luck to win this, but I do feel that is letting Ricciardo off the hook for what was a fairly uninspiring performance this weekend.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Daniel Ricciardo: Definitely not covering himself with glory.

2) The Valterri Bottas/Sergio Perez duumvirate: A big margin from their teammates.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1st George Russell's luck. I don't know what to say. The man is cursed...

I can't even be bothered to do another one...
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
tBone

Post by tBone »

1. George Russell's car. Poor guy.
2. Frank de Boer. What the bathplug was that? Yes, it took place a few hours after the Styrian GP but this was by far the most rejectful thing of this day... :facepalm:
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

1: George Russell’s car: he’s never scoring a point for Williams is he? Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Latifi ends up breaking the Williams points drought

2: Daniel Ricciardo: And I thought he was dire at Monaco

DHM’s

Bottas/Perez: Giancarlo Fisichella at Renault would have been proud of those gaps between team-mates

Esteban Ocon: Has he already got comfortable with that new contract in his back pocket?
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

1. Williams.
  2. Ocon for being anonymous.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'm going to say

1. F1.5 - all of them LAPPED
2. The rain for coming too late.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
went

Post by went »

1- Russell's luck. Seriously. I was screaming at the TV.

2 - Latifi, Ricciardo & Ocon. Oh boy. Let's talk about teammates seriously underperforming. Latifi: We know his Williams is bad and there's little to ever expect from him, but his performance was shameful compared to Russell, all weekend long. One was comfortably in the points, the other was fighting with Mazepin for dead last. Admittedly because of an early race incident, but still, his starting position was pretty bad already, and he did nothing to help himself. Then Ricciardo had a power problem in one lap that dropped him like a rock, but then he ended up a minute behind Norris- not exactly the same racecraft as the briton. And then you have Ocon, who was completely anonymous and comprehensively beaten by Alonso all weekend. All in all, a pretty awful trio.

HM: The race itself. There were things happening here and there but otherwise it was a pretty straightforward affair. Pretty bland.

HM2: Bottas's pit lane spin. Seriously.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. George Russell luck - Bloody hell, please go to a witch mate.

2. Daniel Ricciardo - Unlucky engine problem made him drop after a good start but his potential across the weekend was wasted in traffic and miserable strategy.

Honorable mention to Esteban Ocon for getting beaten by Alonso again (and quite comprehensevely so) and Charles Leclerc for that dumb move on Gasly.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Batty

Post by Batty »

Daniel Ricciardo - Eeesh. Qualifying went bad (14th before Seb's time got wiped out) and then was practically nowhere close after good start.

HM - George Russell's luck. Dude ain't meant to score at Williams it seems.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

George's Russell luck - No lucky no party

Leclerc - Despite his performance, his first lap was Leclerc pls then destroyed Raikkonen's front wing.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Leclerc because taking Gasly out made me sad
The left-handers for keeping everyone apart despite the track being 35 or 40% DRS zone
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

UncreativeUsername37 wrote:The left-handers for keeping everyone apart despite the track being 35 or 40% DRS zone

But if you took out the left-handers ...(an endangered species in Austria already ) ....you're left with that silly Bahrain outer loop track ....aaaaargh .
Or maybe you had another cunning plan ?
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) George Russell's car. Heartbreaking for him, that car was on track to scrape a few points.

2) The race itself. I barely remember this one, pretty lackluster.

(Dis)Honourable Mentions:
Daniel Ricciardo (Slow and unimpressive all weekend)
Red Bull Strategists (Should have stuck with Perez on the one-stop, they knew you get screwed by lap traffic here because of how short the Red Bull Ring is)
Last edited by CaptainGetz12 on 28 Jun 2021, 19:53, edited 3 times in total.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

1. Daniel Ricciardo - massive lack of pace on both Saturday & Sunday when his teammate was the best of the rest again. Guess Paul Ricard was a dead cat bounce?

Honorable Mention:

Esteban Ocon - continues to keep pole position for Mr. Anonymous Award - and that says a lot with Antonio Giovinazzi in the field.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

yannicksamlad wrote:
UncreativeUsername37 wrote:The left-handers for keeping everyone apart despite the track being 35 or 40% DRS zone

But if you took out the left-handers ...(an endangered species in Austria already ) ....you're left with that silly Bahrain outer loop track ....aaaaargh .
Or maybe you had another cunning plan ?

I was thinking they'd be tightened. The track would be like Bahrain, but the inner part.
I mean, I wouldn't actually want that to happen, it's just fun to think about
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

1.) Danny Ric - This season feels worse than his start to 2019, which was pretty awful. Mclaren is 3rd in WCC on merit, essentially running one car. Especially glaring when most people (myself included to be fair) thought he would easily blow Lando away.

2.) Leclerc - Old "Chuck The Chair" hit a quarter of the field, killed AT hopes and dreams, received no penalties, and still won driver of the day somehow. Can something be both awesome and rejectful?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:Red Bull Strategists (Should have stuck with Perez on the one-stop, they knew you get screwed by lap traffic here because of how short the Red Bull Ring is)

I think that I have to disagree with you there and that it was worthwhile for Red Bull to gamble on that strategy.

Bottas had been holding Perez off for quite some time, who seemed to be getting stuck in a position roughly a couple of seconds behind Bottas. His tyres were a lap older than Bottas's were, and although it looked like both Mercedes cars were a little hampered by rear traction, it didn't look like Perez really had enough of a pace advantage to be able to try and close up enough on Bottas to attempt a move, or even really to pressure him that closely.

If you sit there and just copy Bottas, then it's hard to see how Perez would pass Bottas on the same strategy. The second stop did make sense as a gamble to try something different - you're probably going to end up with the same 4th place finish at worst, and at best it might have been enough of a difference for Perez to have snatched 3rd from Bottas near the end.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Lest Valtteri forget.

I've had a non-stop weekend so I've only just watched the qualifying and the race back to back. The above incident is what ROTR is supposed to be about, right? Even though it didn't happen in the race itself this time...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

mario wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:Red Bull Strategists (Should have stuck with Perez on the one-stop, they knew you get screwed by lap traffic here because of how short the Red Bull Ring is)

I think that I have to disagree with you there and that it was worthwhile for Red Bull to gamble on that strategy.

Bottas had been holding Perez off for quite some time, who seemed to be getting stuck in a position roughly a couple of seconds behind Bottas. His tyres were a lap older than Bottas's were, and although it looked like both Mercedes cars were a little hampered by rear traction, it didn't look like Perez really had enough of a pace advantage to be able to try and close up enough on Bottas to attempt a move, or even really to pressure him that closely.

If you sit there and just copy Bottas, then it's hard to see how Perez would pass Bottas on the same strategy. The second stop did make sense as a gamble to try something different - you're probably going to end up with the same 4th place finish at worst, and at best it might have been enough of a difference for Perez to have snatched 3rd from Bottas near the end.

Even with the gamble, it likely wasn't a good shot due to being placed right in the middle of traffic. If RB knew the Mercs had trouble with corner exit they should have pressured Bottas to make a mistake, or perhaps force him to pit.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll at the top of this thread.

There are four very juicy picks for Reject of the Race after Styria. You have 48 hours to get your vote in :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!