The Stewards
30%
Yuki Tsunoda
40%

Total votes: 30

Londoner

Reject of the Race - Austria 2021

Post by Londoner »

1. Yuki Tsunoda. Crossing the pit lane entry line once is a silly rookie error. To do the same thing AGAIN is absolute galaxy brain stuff. :facepalm:

2. Kimi Raikkonen. Powered into contention on the final lap with a bizarre tangle with Vettel where it seems he didn't use his mirrors. Time to retire fam.

Honourable mentions to Sergio Perez for his incident-filled race, and Lewis Hamilton for damaging his car over the kerbs under no pressure. That's the sort of error which loses titles.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ferrim

Re: Reject of the Race - Austria 2021

Post by Ferrim »

Fernando Alonso!!!

Why did you have to overtake George, mate? What does a point mean for you at the grand age of 40?

Only half-joking :)
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

1. Kimi. Just retire old man.
  2. Checo for waking up at T4 and choosing violence.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
Spooder918

Post by Spooder918 »

1. Yuki Tsunoda: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. He crossed pit entry twice. The same exact thing.
2. George Russell: Again, his luck runs out. Don't get me wrong, he drove a great race, but he just can't seem to get any points.

Dishonorable mentions go to Kimi Raikkonen for that bizarre crash on the last lap, and Hamilton for damaging his car and ruining his race.
that guy from '18 US GP wrote: NYOOOOOOOM
Jack Aitken!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

That Anthem - a bit of the old cringe, really ridiculous

Kimi Räikkönen - a man who never made the most of his talent, a man who maintains an imbecilic persona of an aloof counterculture icon that only makes him look like a jackass, a man who refuses to acknowledge that his talent well has run dry and that he has never gotten the ability to actually work to make up for it, a man who embarrassed himself yet again with team radios and a move at the end that genuinely permits the question whether he's still mentally fit to drive a road car (let alone a race car); just do the world a favour and go away, forever, and take your insipid fanbase, who only like you because you feed their delusion that they can succeed in this world without any social skills, with you
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) The stewards - three penalties for overtaking. Are track limits now the responsibility of the faster car?

(2) Tsunoda - talking of track limits and white lines.
went

Post by went »

1- Kimi: Where the hell was he going, seriously.

2- Tsunoda: How do you even screw up getting into the pit lane twice in a row.

3- Masi: His rulebook apparently says "if multiple drivers break the same rule, the rule ceases to apply and everybody gets scot-free". The Q2 incident is not the first time he's applied it.

HM: Pérez: Getting two identical penalties for shoving Leclerc out of the track is not a good look but at least they wre racing incidents, unlike Tsunoda's.
Last edited by went on 04 Jul 2021, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1. Stewarding. Again. Wtf was going on today. Very poor Decisions again.

2. Kimi Raikkonen. Just retire man. Give it up. Very poor at the end with both Russell and then taking himself and Vettel out.

Hm- Yuki Tsonda. Crossing the white line coming into the pits. Doing it once. Bad enough. Doing it twice. Well that's plain rejection.

Hm- Austrian National Anthem. Eh? Why do it that way? It was plain bizarre. What next for the British Gp? Geri Horner singing god save the queen then wannabe?
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
IceG

Post by IceG »

rachel1990 wrote:Geri Horner singing god save the queen then wannabe?

I wanna really, really, really wanna fascist regime...
tBone

Post by tBone »

went wrote:1- Kimi: Where the hell was he going, seriously.

2- Tsunoda: How do you even screw up getting into the pit lane twice in a row.

3- Masi: His rulebook apparently says "if multiple drivers break the same rule, the rule ceases to apply and everybody gets scot-free". The Q2 incident is not the first time he's applied it.

HM: Pérez: Getting two identical penalties for shoving Leclerc out of the track is not a good look but at least they wre racing incidents, unlike Tsunoda's.

Call me lazy, but this is exactly what I wanted to say.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Belegur

Post by Belegur »

Raikkonen and Tsunoda were pretty bad, but the stewards just take the prize here. If it's getting to the point when an opinion of Jeremy Clarkson makes sense, then you know there's a problem.
mario

Post by mario »

1. Tsunoda - as others have noted, to have made that mistake once was bad enough, but to then make the same error in exactly the same way was poor. He'd have been down in 15th place without the Raikkonen-Vettel crash near the end, which kind of sums up how badly things went for him today.

2. Raikkonen - he was rather lucky to get away with clipping Russell a lap or two earlier, but the collision with Vettel was, to put it politely, not exactly his finest moment.

Indeed, it has to be said that this season does perhaps have an air of "one season too long" about it for Kimi, as he's made a fair few errors - Portugal was poor, he'd also ended up clipping Leclerc in the first race at this circuit and now we have had two further incidents today, the second of which was rather poor.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'm going for Tsunoda as yes the stewards were terrible but making that mistake twice is reject gold. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

The Stewards: I guess we’re not allowed to have hard but fair racing anymore. Michael Masi needs to be fired

Lewis Hamilton: caused self-inflicted damage to his car and he was punished for it. Had it just been him and Bottas they would have held station but Norris’s presence meant Mercedes’s hand was forced. The drivers title is threatening to slip away.

Sergio Perez: However the constructors may still be on for Mercedes if this guy puts in more races like this. Wanted the glory in his attempts to get past Norris and then copped the same penalty twice for being the defensive driver later on.

Charles Leclerc: If the outside line doesn’t work once why are you trying it again and again? He can’t just expect to get past here there and everywhere.

Yuki Tsunoda: Crossing the white line on pit exit once is silly, to do it twice is careless

Kimi Raikkonen: What was that at the end? Just retire mate

Fernando Alonso: You killjoy.

Aston Martin: Utterly terrible strategy and no race pace either as proved by Stroll being passed by a Williams
Batty

Post by Batty »

1. Yuki Tsunoda - Dude got penalties for the same thing at the same place. lol. That's some rejectfulness that I associate with GPRejects (prev. F1 Rejects).

2. The Anthem - That was something that felt so late 90's make something cool out of the anthem.

HM - Kimi Raikkonen - Bruh.
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Yuki Tsunoda: A pretty ridiculous pair of mistakes to make; you'd think he'd have learnt after the first time.

2) The stewards: I'm not convinced that a lot of the penalties were fair and I think it's a discouragement to ballsy moves that the sport doesn't need.

Dishonourable Mention: Kimi Raikkonen - a ridiculous way to end a race that wasn't exactly his finest hour to begin with.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Sergio Pérez had a disappointing race after a good start to the season. The low points of his race reminded me of what things were like for Gasly and Albon at Red Bull – I'm expecting a lot better from him, even if he was decent apart from those few moments...

Dishonorable mention to Fernando Alonso. Not because his race was bad, he actually did very well, but that point was supposed to be Russell's. :cry:
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I think there are plenty of nominees and things to say, but I think there are two drivers clear cut above the rest for the award this weekend:

1. Yuki Tsunoda - To cross the white line once was bad. To do it twice?! Bloody hell, how? Did your engineer not warn you?

2. Kimi Raikkonen - This is somehow worse than the inccident in Portugal with his team-mate.

Honorable mentions:

Lance Stroll - Pitlane speeding penalty? In 2021? :facepalm:

The Anthem - It was something and I can tell you exactly what it was: NOT GOOD.

Sergio Pérez - What... the hell? C'mon Checo, you are better than that. I imagine he was pretty mad from the Norris incident but he was driving very agressive and his double penalty was just hilarious. Although...

Stewards - Yes, again, and I do think that stewards of F1 are a big candidate for ROTY. Today was just another icing on the cake. The Norris/Checo incident was hard racing and I do think it should be penalized. The problem is when you look at similar inccidents at other corners there was no penalty. And then, if you take that into account, Pérezs double tap on Leclerc should have been more than 5 seconds as there was contact? Just very weird day in the office for Masi and Warwick.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
mario

Post by mario »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Lewis Hamilton: caused self-inflicted damage to his car and he was punished for it. Had it just been him and Bottas they would have held station but Norris’s presence meant Mercedes’s hand was forced. The drivers title is threatening to slip away.

I've seen a few suggest that, but Wolff now thinks it wasn't self inflicted as Hamilton wasn't running wide at Turn 10 - instead, material fatigue now looks like the more likely cause of that failure.

Meatwad wrote:Sergio Pérez had a disappointing race after a good start to the season. The low points of his race reminded me of what things were like for Gasly and Albon at Red Bull – I'm expecting a lot better from him, even if he was decent apart from those few moments...

Dishonorable mention to Fernando Alonso. Not because his race was bad, he actually did very well, but that point was supposed to be Russell's. :cry:

And yet, in a way it was better for Perez to simply take the penalties and instead rely on building a large enough gap to Leclerc - because he ultimately ended up making more places that way than he lost from the time penalties. It does kind of sum up the issue with the time penalties - that, in quite a few cases, it can be preferable to take the penalty and simply focus on pulling far enough ahead to avoid losing the place.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) Kimi Raikkonen. Just, why?

2) Yuki Tsunoda. Getting a pit lane entry penalty once is bad luck. But doing it twice was not a good look.

(Dis)Honourable Mentions:
Stewards (Rather harsh for a couple of the penalties, mainly with Perez)
Esteban Ocon (Been having a rough time after signing his new contract)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

mario wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Lewis Hamilton: caused self-inflicted damage to his car and he was punished for it. Had it just been him and Bottas they would have held station but Norris’s presence meant Mercedes’s hand was forced. The drivers title is threatening to slip away.

I've seen a few suggest that, but Wolff now thinks it wasn't self inflicted as Hamilton wasn't running wide at Turn 10 - instead, material fatigue now looks like the more likely cause of that failure.

Was it caused by a kerb at turn 10? I thought it was caused by his mistake over the kerb at turn 1. Either way both proved very costly in the end
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

That rock anthem thing. Mimed too. Austria already has plenty of cheese.
went

Post by went »

Bonus after-hours honourable mention to Latifi and Mazepin for being penalised for speeding under double yellows, as if they had had anything to gain at that point, as well as being the only ones out a large group of suspected drivers.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/stat ... 4088065027
Shawn040217

Post by Shawn040217 »

#1 : Tsunoda - despite looking good through practice and quali, missed out on a solid haul of points by committing a novice error, not once, but TWICE. While he's got speed, and age on his side, he needs to harness it and cut down on mistakes like these if he is to keep his gig.

#2 : Aston Martin - after a decent quali, the alternate strategy just didn't seem to work out for them - they looked at sea and invisible all race with the exception of Vettel colliding with Kimi

HM to stewarding, and throwing in Ocon as well - is it just me, or has he been a tad complacent ever since he signed that new contract?
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Imagine if the old site was still around. Who would you expect to see as ROTR on the main page? Either Tsunoda or Räikkönen. They'll be my nominations.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

I can't look further than the race's serial offenders Sergio Perez and Yuki Tsunoda. Perez for doing Leclerc dirty twice after Norris got a (justified imo) penalty for doing the exact same thing and Tsunoda for repeated white line infringments. If it was up to me I'd make them joint winners!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Given Autosport's marks out of 10, it should really be Kimi lol
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
mario

Post by mario »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
mario wrote:

Was it caused by a kerb at turn 10? I thought it was caused by his mistake over the kerb at turn 1. Either way both proved very costly in the end

That seemed to be more of a symptom of the loss of downforce than the root cause of it, as far as I am aware.

UncreativeUsername37 wrote:Imagine if the old site was still around. Who would you expect to see as ROTR on the main page? Either Tsunoda or Räikkönen. They'll be my nominations.

I agree they'd probably be the most likely candidates - Kimi might edge out Tsunoda there, in part because Tsunoda does at least have the excuse of a lack of experience.

That said, with the number of penalties that Tsunoda picked up, it makes me wonder - was Tsunoda also doing the same thing in the Styrian GP, and it just went unnoticed at the time? It seems a little odd that he'd be making those mistakes when it was the second race at that venue.
Pacific Edge

Post by Pacific Edge »

Tsunoda: Same mistake twice in the same race? Well done.

Kimi Got all flustered on the radio, then took it out on Vettel
Rob Dylan

Re: Reject of the Race - Austria 2021 (POLL UP)

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll at the top of this thread!

A couple of strong, classic candidates for the nomination at Austria the second time around. Get your vote in by 48 hours from now :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Re: Reject of the Race - Austria 2021 (POLL UP)

Post by Rob Dylan »

Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!