Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Austria 2021

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 10 Jul 2021, 08:08

Carlos Sainz Jr.
7%
George Russell
18%
McLaren
75%

Total votes: 28

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Austria 2021

Post by Londoner »

1. Lando Norris. Qualified P2 on merit, finished P3 and matched the Mercedes for pace. If not for that dubious penalty he'd have finished P2.

2. George Russell. Q3 in a Williams, and three laps away from a point on merit.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Austria 2021

Post by Klon »

Londoner wrote:1. Lando Norris. Qualified P2 on merit, finished P3 and matched the Mercedes for pace. If not for that dubious penalty he'd have finished P2.

2. George Russell. Q3 in a Williams, and three laps away from a point on merit.

Nothing more to be added. Well, okay, I got one more: an honourable mention to Carlos Sainz for his excellent management of the hard tyre.
Last edited by Klon on 04 Jul 2021, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Spooder918

Post by Spooder918 »

1. McLaren: Brilliant driving from Lando, Front row start on merit and if it wasn't for that undeserved penalty he would've gotten P2. Daniel also had a decent race, great drive from him to start from P13 and finish P7, almost P5. Not much more he could've done.

2. George Russell: So close yet so far. He was 3 laps away from a point in that Williams. Seriously brilliant driving.
that guy from '18 US GP wrote: NYOOOOOOOM
Jack Aitken!
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Lando Norris: An incredible drive to make the most of his spectacular qualifying performance. A well-deserved podium if ever I saw one.

2) George Russell: Pity about the overtake so late in the race to lose him the precious point, but his qualifying was excellent and he almost made full use of that for a team which could desperately use results at this time.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Ricciardo - Lando's was not improbable but Danny's was

(2) Bottas - George's was not improbable but Valtteri's was
went

Post by went »

Norris: Extracting every last drop out of his car.
Sainz: An impressive P5 with a nail-biting last couple of laps. Fantastic hard tyre management.
Russell: Look, I love Alonso so I was pretty torn when he denied Russell that last point, but the Briton's race was still pretty remarkable. Especially if you look at Latifi, as usual.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1. Lando Norris. Should have been 2nd. Still what a season he is having. Another Poduim!!

2. George Russell. So close and yet so far. Why couldn't a Ferrari fail for gods sake. Still he is making waves and impressing at the right time.

Hm- Sainz. Not bad and a great first stint on the tyres.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

1 George Russell: Making Q2 is not newsworthy with Russell anymore, if anything it’s a failure if he’s knocked out in Q1. What is newsworthy though is making Q3 and coming within 3 laps of a point on merit. I’m half hoping someone gets disqualified afterwards for his sake

2: Carlos Sainz: Qualified 11th and fell to 13th at the start but his strategy was great and he wound up an unexpected 5th

Lando Norris only gets an HM from me because I’m getting accustomed to him being up there now. It’s the 3rd time he’s put McLaren on the podium this season. That said I didn’t expect him to Qualify 2nd and only a bullcrap penalty stopped him from finishing there
tBone

Post by tBone »

1. Lando Norris. Matching the Mercs on pace is textbook IIDOTR material.
2. Carlos Sainz. Great driving, well executed strategy.

HM for George Russell. I am not nominating him, because I think he wasted too much by being over-cautious at the start. It was otherwise a very good race from him, albeit less good than he seemed to imply in the post-qualifying interview.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. Norris
2. Sainz
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
mario

Post by mario »

tBone wrote:1. Lando Norris. Matching the Mercs on pace is textbook IIDOTR material.
2. Carlos Sainz. Great driving, well executed strategy.

HM for George Russell. I am not nominating him, because I think he wasted too much by being over-cautious at the start. It was otherwise a very good race from him, albeit less good than he seemed to imply in the post-qualifying interview.

He has tended to be a bit more cautious at the start, but it's always a bit of a difficult situation - there is a tendency for bottlenecks to form at Turn 3, and a risk that his race could have gone the way of Ocon if he found himself pinched between two cars, but equally it did cost him a bit in the opening stages.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Batty

Post by Batty »

Not gonna nominate Lando cause like I expect this from him considering he has scored in every race this season. So, I'm just nominating 1 driver.

Carlos Sainz - Solid race and looked after the tires well. Made his strategy work and got 5th.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Another nomination for Lando Norris, so close to pole and would have been second in the race without that penalty. Honorable mention to George Russell, he would have got my vote if he had been one place higher.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Lando Norris - Driver of the year thus far and today was his best drive thus far. Amazing.

2. Carlos Sainz Jr. - Brilliant drive on strategy to 5th.

Honorable mention to George Russell and Daniel Ricciardo.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

1) George Russell. It's one thing to have the pace but have an unreliable car. It's another to spend all race dragging that car up into the points. If he had 2 fewer laps he would finally give Williams points finish they seek.

2) Daniel Ricciardo. That's the kind of pace and racing we expect from the honey badger. He looked like the seasoned driver Mclaren wanted him to be, a vast improvement over last weekend's showing in Austria.

Honourable Mentions:
Ferrari drivers (Rallied and got a good points finish to minimize the damage Norris's podium did to their Constructor's battle)
Kimi Raikkonen (If we don't count his final lap he drove that car to places it shouldn't be in)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Shawn040217

Post by Shawn040217 »

1) Sainz - On a circuit where the Scuderia have struggled, and where their rivals in papaya had the high ground with their power advantage, Sainz did a great job to charge through from Q2 elimination by nursing his rubber for 40-so laps and coming on strong in the closing stages for solid points.

2) Russell - Great effort from the Briton this weekend. While ultimately it proved fruitless just like last weekend, he got a Williams into Q3 on merit, helped by a great Merc motor, and came oh-so-close to seeing off Alonso for points if not for older tyres.

Honourable Mentions :
Norris - this youngster has really gone from stride to stride this season. Was able to hold off Lewis Hamilton of all for 28 laps, and if he had not copped the penalty, he would very likely have clinched the 2nd step.

Ricciardo - in what has been a challenging transition year for him, he had a decent showing - he was able to show some raciness, and did well to hold off a hungry Leclerc - results like these are just what Danny needs
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Norris deserves a nomination for matching Mercedes, and Ricciardo's performance I didn't see coming. I'll just give it to everything about McLaren.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll at the top of this thread!

Honestly, I was loath to give George Russell yet another option, and I reached the compromise of fusing Norris and Ricciardo's good races together into one McLaren nomination. These same drivers are doing too consistently well :lol:

Anyhoo, you have 48 hours to vote, let's see who wins :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!