Pacific Edge

Australian GP called off

Post by Pacific Edge »

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... iZRUU.html

Still early days in the announcement, will be interesting to see what they do
Yannick

Re: Australian GP called off

Post by Yannick »

People on Indianapolis-style racing fan message boards are currently debating rumors amongst each other that the replacement race might be Indianapolis, slotting into the calendar ahead of COTA.

Make of that what you will.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Yannick wrote:People on Indianapolis-style racing fan message boards are currently debating rumors amongst each other that the replacement race might be Indianapolis, slotting into the calendar ahead of COTA.

I would like that. Disappointed at another year without Melbourne, but I think Indy would be an interesting alternative.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
Yannick wrote:People on Indianapolis-style racing fan message boards are currently debating rumors amongst each other that the replacement race might be Indianapolis, slotting into the calendar ahead of COTA.

I would like that. Disappointed at another year without Melbourne, but I think Indy would be an interesting alternative.

I would not be surprised if Liberty Media did try and organise a race there, given how heavily they are trying to pivot the sport towards the USA - however, I do wonder whether there might be a few concerns about a repeat of the 2005 farce if they went back there with the current tyres.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

mario wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

I would not be surprised if Liberty Media did try and organise a race there, given how heavily they are trying to pivot the sport towards the USA - however, I do wonder whether there might be a few concerns about a repeat of the 2005 farce if they went back there with the current tyres.

Note that if F1 does return to Indy they will likely use the layout used for the Indianapolis GP in Indycar, which circumvents the banked corner:

Though I would rather have the banked corner myself :)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
Note that if F1 does return to Indy they will likely use the layout used for the Indianapolis GP in Indycar, which circumvents the banked corner:

Which versions have FIA Grade 1 licences for F1 racing? Like CaptainGetz12, I would like to see the return of a banked oval turn, but suspect that it will be the version above that will be used.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

They should totally put the sprint race at Indy if they have it. You could have every variation of the circuit open at the same time, and on different laps the drivers have to do different variations of the circuit. It could be a confusing Mario-Kart mess where the drivers are at the mercy of the engineers telling them which way to go. And if they go the wrong way the lap doesn't count and they have to do it again.

Ross Brawn, my email is at [email protected]. Email me if you want more great ideas.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I was under the impression Roger was asked about this by Pruett or Fryer or Pockross or someone of their level, and he basically said "lol nah we're good".

Plus COTA cleared another fall date with the local authorities for a "major event".
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:

Which versions have FIA Grade 1 licences for F1 racing? Like CaptainGetz12, I would like to see the return of a banked oval turn, but suspect that it will be the version above that will be used.

The standard road course has already been given a Grade 1 licence (the variant used by MotoGP does not appear on their list of homologated circuits).

Wallio wrote:I was under the impression Roger was asked about this by Pruett or Fryer or Pockross or someone of their level, and he basically said "lol nah we're good".

Plus COTA cleared another fall date with the local authorities for a "major event".

That does seem to be the more likely scenario - if the teams are already there, then it's probably easier to run the same event again in the way that they reran races in Austria.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"