The one-car restart
19%
Valtteri Bottas
59%

Total votes: 27

Londoner

Reject of the Race - Hungary (Results)

Post by Londoner »

1. Alfa Romeo. This entire team is a clownshow. Congratulations on dropping behind Williams in the standings! :facepalm:

2. Valtteri Bottas. YOU BLOODY FOOL! :facepalm:

Dishonourable mention to Mercedes strategists, threw away possibly the easiest Hamilton win possible with a mindboggling decision not to pit with the rest of the field. :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Reject of the Race - Hungary

Post by Enforcer »

1st - Valtteri Bottas
2nd - Valtteri Bottas
3rd - Valtteri Bottas

HM - Valtteri Bottas
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

1. Valtteri Bottas, for finally beating Lewis at something...being the most hated man in the Netherlands.
  2. Ted Kravitz for his French accent.
Dishonourable mention to Lewis for restarting on inters, but giving us the glorious sight of a one-car grid.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Valterri Bottas: Another wretched performance for him in the wet; it has once again proven to be his biggest weakness. His abysmal start has likely killed the championship battle as well indirectly, since Verstappen got shafted.

2) Mercedes' strategy following the restart: It was only through the sheer pace of their car that Mercedes even managed to secure a podium via Hamilton, thanks to misreading the conditions where literally everybody else took the call to go for slicks.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. Alfa Romeo's pitstops: they made an utter hash of every single pitstop or strategy call going; if they'd called it even slightly better, they could've had a double points finish
2. Valterri Bottas: amateurish driving, to be frank
DHM:
Lance Stroll: similar to Bottas, with the mitigating factor of him trying to avoid an existing crash
Mercedes strategy: while it resulted in the great race we got, it cost Hamilton a free hit at a win, and resulted in the farcical image of only Hamilton taking the restart
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

1. Image This.

2. Valtteri Bottas.

DHMs - Alfa Romeo in so many different ways.
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

Mercedes - Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Also c'mon you can't argue against that image ;)

Alfa is definitely a close 2nd though :P
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

1. Valtteri Bottas - it's not even close. This should be a win by default for this race.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
went

Post by went »

1 - Bottas: Pathetic start, awful driving, ruining races left and right. Probably a fitting replacement for Kimi when he's finally fired from Mercedes.

2- The clown who told Hamilton not to pit.
Last edited by went on 01 Aug 2021, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

1. (pending the appeal) Aston-Martin, for failing to be able to provide a fuel sample for scrutineering.
2. Bottas
3. Alfa Romeo (pit crew)
Last edited by Fetzie on 01 Aug 2021, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1 Mercedes drivers. Plural. Bottas decided to wipe out nearly half the grid (though it was hilarious) and Hammy decided to play wait on the second formation lap while everyone else saw the wood from the trees didnt pit despite the track being bone dry aka Kimi 2009. And then whinging the whole time. Oh just shut up.

2 Stroll. Let's just copy Bottas and wipe out nearly the other half of the grid.

Hm- Alfa Romeo. As a whole. Gio's driving, Kimi's unsafe release, and allowing Willams to jump them into 8th in the constructors.- EDIT- and yet they still get a bloody point,

(EDIT)
HM- Seb Vettel's Fuel- DSQ for fuel. HOW??? Typical Aston Martin/Racing point/ Force India thing to do I suppose. Thank god Ocon won and Vettel was only second. God the scenes if Hammy had won this race like that...
Last edited by rachel1990 on 01 Aug 2021, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I'm voting for Valtteri Bottas, that was just embarrassing (although he did end up helping his team in a way).

Dishonorable mention to the top three teams – just one point for Red Bull, zero for McLaren and Mercedes threw away an easy win.
Chrisdude

Post by Chrisdude »

1. Valtteri Bottas - complete schoolboy error; the kind you'd put money on your common garden variety of Tsunoda or Mazepin to make. Not only did he singlehandedly wipe out the entire opposition, he also destroyed the most exciting spectacle of the race by removing any hope of a fair fight at the front. The one saving grace being that his rejectfulness provided the kind of chaotic, crazy situation we (mostly) all love.

2. Alfa Romeo - Pure comedy. Exactly the kind of race they should have turned into a double points finish and they make a monumental bollocks of it. Fully deserve to be behind Williams.

DHM - Hamilton taking the restart alone. Bet you never thought you'd see fewer cars take a grid start than USA 2005?
tBone

Post by tBone »

1. The starting grid after the red flag. That was hilarious and therefore textbook ROTR material.

2. A shared nomination for the first lap nutcases Bottas and Stroll. That's the stuff some of us expected Mazepin to do.

DHM to Alfa Romeo. Threw away every chance of a good result with silly penalties.

DHM to the booing in the stands. Yeah guys, Hamilton also isn't my favorite driver but come on, show some respect for objectively one of the greats of the sport.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

also nominating Valtteri Bottas and Lance Stroll for their antics in wiping out everyone else. Thankfully, unlike in Silverstone, the perpetrators took themselves out of the race too for good measure. However, the reaction now is very sad as it means that the title is being decided by folks getting shoved into barriers on lap 1 rather than in any kind of straight wheel-to-wheel mastery.

Alfa Romeo for being the only survivors NOT to benefit from the lap 1 carnage.

TV Direction for not showing any of the top 5 basically at all until Hamilton got there a few laps from the end. As someone said on Discord, you wouldn't even have known Ocon was racing if we didn't have the graphics.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I'm changing my nomination to the stewards. Reprimanding drivers for showing their support for human rights yet again proves that money (including that from bigots) goes above everything else in F1. #WeRaceAsOne indeed. :facepalm:
IceG

Post by IceG »

Meatwad wrote:I'm changing my nomination to the stewards. Reprimanding drivers for showing their support for human rights yet again proves that money (including that from bigots) goes above everything else in F1. #WeRaceAsOne indeed. :facepalm:

Likewise my first and only nomination.

Otherwise it would have been Bottas for giving us such a great race.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. Hamilton's whining. Let me get this straight, you like close racing when you're punting your closest rival off but not with Alonso?
2. Bottas. More fuel for the sack him fire.
went

Post by went »

3 - Aston Martin. Losing a P2 (and gifting Hamilton two more points, ffs) through sheer incompetence. Lovely.
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

ROTR: Bottas, definitely Bottas, that 2nd Merc might as well have Russell's name on it hereafter.

DHM:
1. Alfa Romeo for that unsafe release more than anything else, yet Kimi still got a point because of...
2. ...Aston Martin's luck, one driver follows Bottas' example, the other lost a podium because of fuel consumption.
Last edited by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 on 01 Aug 2021, 20:49, edited 3 times in total.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Plenty of candidates here (most noticeably Bottas) but for most costly it probably does have to be Alfa Romeo. That 7 point gap to Williams might be too much to bridge if there isn't another freak race.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

James1978 wrote:Plenty of candidates here (most noticeably Bottas) but for most costly it probably does have to be Alfa Romeo. That 7 point gap to Williams might be too much to bridge if there isn't another freak race.

"Might be."

Hands up anyone who can see Alfa Romeo making up that deficit, freak race or no freak race...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Bottas is an obvious candidate, mentions for Stroll who tried to copy Bottas and Alfa-Romeo who seemed to had no idea what they were doing.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Bottas has to be front and centre, big shout out to Alfa too for being utterly incapable of making any headway in the sort of race they must have been praying for.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. The image of Hamilton sitting alone in the grid - It felt like something out of Moto GP than F1. How the hell did Mercedes allowed that to happen?

2. Valtteri Bottas and Lance Stroll - Nominating both because both did some of the dumbest driving I remember on a first lap in a long time. Bottas was clumsy, but Stroll did something way dumber in my opinion. The grid drop is fully deserved for Spa.

Honorable mentions:

Alfa Romeo - What the hell was that? So, Gio started on dries but then they put him on inters after the red flag? I don't know, that was really weird. And the whole pitroad shenanigans from both drivers... Gio getting a DTP for violating pitspeed (been a while since we've seen two of these in sucession) and Kimi for killing Mazepin.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

#RaikkonensaidnotoMazepin .

That race restart grid.

Vettel's fuel sample. Even more rejectful if the team's excuse of fuel pump failure is true and the fuel is there, but the FIA just can't get to it.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

1. Valtteri's nutritionist: Didn't provide Bottas enough morning porridge.

2: Alfa: So, with Vettel's DQ, Kimi got a point, and still that bathplug them even more against Williams.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

1. Valtteri Bottas for his idea on how to keep his Mercedes seat
2. The stewards for not giving Bottas the 3-race ban he deserves
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Batty

Post by Batty »

I know people will vote Val first but I'm not

1. Alfa Romeo - This is what they have done:
- Let out Gio during the weekend who hit his front wing on the back of Stroll in the pits.
- Putting Gio on slicks and then bringing him back in
- Putting Kimi into Mazepin
- Both Kimi and Gio had to serve 10 second penalties
- Kimi had a slow stop after his 10 second penalty.

That's whole thing is rejectful

2. Bottas - It's pretty evident why. Rookie error and boom. But hey we got chaos thanks to him.

Regarding the whole Lewis not pitting. George was talking to Karun and brought up this point. Mercedes is the first pitbox, so they would have been delayed by so many coming into the pits to avoid an unsafe release. A lot of things could go wrong there. I thought it was a good point.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Bottas - Wouldn't it be simpler to just hand your notice in at Merc rather than all this?
FIA Race Director - Reprimanding Vettel (and three others) for wearing a t-shirt during the national anthem. It's 2021, it's a t-shirt, sit down.
Just For One Day...
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I know nobody's mentioned him yet as there are more glaring errors, but how about a DHM for Danny Ric? With a Red Bull and Mercedes out, plus a Ferrari and his teammate, and the two remaining cars from the top 2 teams compromised, you'd expect him to be on or around the podium, but didn't even score points. I don't know if he had damage but it wasn't mentioned as Verstappen having damage was far more high-profile. Though Rosberg was pretty critical of him in the quali show too.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

James1978 wrote:I know nobody's mentioned him yet as there are more glaring errors, but how about a DHM for Danny Ric? With a Red Bull and Mercedes out, plus a Ferrari and his teammate, and the two remaining cars from the top 2 teams compromised, you'd expect him to be on or around the podium, but didn't even score points. I don't know if he had damage but it wasn't mentioned as Verstappen having damage was far more high-profile. Though Rosberg was pretty critical of him in the quali show too.
People have said he had damage but I missed it during the 937 replays shown during the red flag. Assuming he did get damage, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It's true however that he got completely ignored by the cameras and the commentary, and was almost entirely anonymous (not helped by the dreadful TV direction who seemed to only follow one Mercedes for the entire thing) from start to finish.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Decided to leave this for today as being a big Aston Martin fan I was upset with the ending. Don’t worry we’ll be back

Anyway

Bottas: As soon as it rained I knew he was going to be in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. Every time it rains he drives like he’s not fit to be a Formula 2 driver. Yesterday was a new low even for him. And he only got a 5 place grid drop for wiping a quarter of the field out of the race. Oh well at least he can’t play rolling roadblock at Belgium.

Stroll: There’s trying to avoid an accident and then there’s whatever that was. It’s like he completely forgot where the corner was

Alfa Romeo: This was a demonstration in how not to maximise these days for struggling teams and this team has had history with this before (Monaco 2014 anyone?). Dreadful pit releases, awful strategy choices and only 1 point courtesy of disqualification. Williams showed them up big time.

Hamilton: For a man who repeatedly says in public that he loves a wheel to wheel scrap he sure does get annoyed whenever someone actually gives him one. Some might say that passing Alonso is one of the hardest jobs in F1. Yeah it might be if your driving an Aston Martin or AlphaTauri but it shouldn’t be if your driving a Mercedes on fresh tires lapping 2-3 seconds quicker and it took a mistake to finally get past. Despite getting 2nd I still think he’s lost 8pts but he was hardly on his own in that which leads us nicely onto….

Mercedes Strategists: That to me is the definition of missing an open goal. The restarted race was set up for Hamilton to just run and hide and Mercedes did that. While it created an amusing 1 car grid it was yet another strategic blunder and only the sheer pace of the car salvaged a podium, a situation they should never have been in to start with.

The “We race as one” thingy: I’ve felt awkward about this ever since Saudi Arabia were given an F1 race. The question marks about Vettel’s pride t-shirt are now making me wonder if anyone involved actually cares about it. Simon Lazenby’s post race interview with the German summed it up.
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

1) F1 officials: They try and promote 'we race as one' then fine drivers who wear t-shirts promoting exactly that
2) Bottas/Stroll: Yeah if the track is slippery maybe brake a little earlier?
3) Mercedes Strategists: Never going to forget that image of Hamilton on his own on the grid...way to throw away an easy win
4) Alfa Romeo: This will cost them 8th in the championship, they didn't take advantage of the craziness, and the pitlane crash with Mazepin was just silly on so many levels
Rob Dylan

Re: Reject of the Race - Hungary (POLL)

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll at the top of this thread!

As with IIDOTR, you are all absolutely spoiled for choice after Hungary. However, you can only make one vote. What was in your mind the absolute most rejectful candidate from the Grand Prix. You have 48 hours to vote before our results are in :dance:
Rob Dylan

Re: Reject of the Race - Hungary (Results)

Post by Rob Dylan »