Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Hungary (Results)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 06 Aug 2021, 08:02

Alpine
92%
Mick Schumacher
No votes
Sebastian Vettel
No votes
Williams
8%

Total votes: 26

Londoner

Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Hungary (Results)

Post by Londoner »

1. Alpine as a whole (the team, Ocon and Alonso). The best entire team performance I think I've witnessed since the Schumacher/Ferrari days. Ocon didn't put a foot wrong all day, Alonso put on an amazing defensive display which effectively sealed Ocon's win.

2. Williams. DOUBLE POINTS FINISH GET THE bathplug IN THERE! :dance:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
You-Gee-Eee-Day

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Hungary

Post by You-Gee-Eee-Day »

WILLIAMS

OUR MAN JORJ
:deletraz:

F1 2019 in a nutshell:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
"Ferrari is faster"
Mercedes 1-2
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

1. Fernando Alonso - he was the best driver in the world at one point and today he gave us a flashback to those very days

2. Ocon/Vettel - kept their head out of trouble into turn 1 and drove very well at the top.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

I have to call out Alonso specifically, without rolling him up with Ocon or Alpine as a single nomination, for this one because he had no right to keep Hamilton behind him for as long as he did. Had his "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" act lasted 2 or 3 laps less, there's a good chance Hamilton would've picked Vettel & Ocon off. No feel good win without him, imo.

HM Williams. Double points finish. Far from guaranteed even with the carnage involved.
Last edited by Enforcer on 01 Aug 2021, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

1. Alpine: utterly faultless performance taking maximum advantage of the chaos around. Alonso especially really helped Ocon hold onto the win
2. Williams: double points!
HM:
Ocon: would be IIDOTR if not for the team performance
Alonso: ditto
the race: Hungary is never normally this exciting
Latifi: first points!
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

1. Nando for his best defensive drive in Hungary for about 14 years.
  2. Latifi for being too slow to get caught up in Buttass's mistake, and then being not slow enough to get caught by Sky's hopes and dreams.

Honourable mentions for Seb and Ocon for their duel at the front.
Last edited by Ciaran on 01 Aug 2021, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Esteban Ocon: Absolutely not the driver I expected to be on the top step of the podium. A quiet, but eminently consistent drive to take full advantage of the conditions he found himself in.

2) Williams: The points they've been threatening through much of the year have finally been acquired. Russell unlucky again to fall back behind Latifi, but they at least managed the double points finish.

Honourable Mention: Fernando Alonso - one of the greatest defensive drives I've ever seen in Formula One; Sebastian Vettel - another podium for a generally unfavoured team.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

1. Fernando Alonso - for single-handedly preventing Lewis Hamilton from winning this race. Esteban Ocon (and Vettel) would have been a sitting duck if not for Alonso's driving.

And he won Driver of the Day which means even the social media mob knows exactly what happened there.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
went

Post by went »

1- Alonso: This was Imola 2005 all over again, except now the Renault was a clearly worse car with clearly worse tyres. He gave Ocon and Vettel a 1-2 and prevented another "HAMILTONWINSLOL". And he keeps showing that he has nothing left to prove to anyone.

2 - Williams: I didn't have a double points finish on my cards.

HM: Ocon: Perfect drive, holding on to a surprising lead and extracting every second out of the help he got from Latifi's and Alonso's blockades.

HM2: Vettel. I do rather enjoy seeing his rainbows all over the Hungarian podium.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I'm voting for Esteban Ocon. I didn't expect him or Alpine to win this year – sure, luck played a part, but he did everything he had to do.

Honorable mention to Williams for finally scoring some points! :D
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Alpine. As a whole. What a race. Fernando showing his class and Ocon showing why he got that contract. What a race from them.

2- Williams. What a result. Taking advantage of brain fades and the consequences that others felt from that. Still they go ahead of Alfa Romeo and after the last few weeks that was the least that they deserved.

HM - Vettel. So close to win 54. Not sure I would have said that at the start of the year.

Hm- Mick Schumacher. Kept his own in the worst car of the field and kept his head to try and salvage points. Not to be but a good effort.

EDIT HM- Lewis Hamiltons luck- ' The stewards are out to get me' BS.
Last edited by rachel1990 on 01 Aug 2021, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
tBone

Post by tBone »

1. Ocon - a win! And with an excellent, flawless drive under great pressure.
2. Latifi - 8th in a Williams and ahead of Russell

HM to the teams of Alpine and Williams as a whole and a very HM to Alonso. Perhaps slightly less unexpected (by me) but my goodness, the 40 year old's still got it.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

The actual guys will be nominated plenty, so...

Valtteri Bottas - absolutely stellar wingmanning, taking out Lewis' four closest Championship rivals in one go.

George Russell - to outright tell his team "compromise my race if there's any way it helps Nicky" is exactly the sort of thing Toto wants to hear.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Alpine for winning, and not just inheriting it, but keeping up the pace both in first place and in stopping the charging Hamilton. I've not been convinced by Ocon's lack of pace over the last few races, so him coming back to suddenly bloody win was NOT something I expected before the race start :D

Nicholas Latifi for taking advantage of the situation to finish comfortably ahead of his teammate when it mattered. Say what you want about "our boy George, three cheers for George" Russell, but Latifi finished ahead, on merit, at the one (probably) race this year where it mattered. Good job Nic.

Alpha Tauri for being the only team to finish in the points every race this year. Good job from both of them, even if Tsunoda's incoherent screaming halfway through the race was a bit strange.

Vettel for again almost somehow winning this year. Incredible that even just here and Monaco he's already outscored his 2020. After a decreasing level of performance 2017-2020, it seems like something of a late-career renaissance in 2021 for the dude.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Alpine for racing competively, keeping their heads, winning the race, and getting fifth.

(2) Williams for keeping out of trouble and double points
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. The Alpine drivers. Fabulous.
2. The race. An exciting event at the bumhole of racetracks.
HM: Vettel.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

ps. Aislabie - fabulous take on Bottas' performance.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

1. Alpine
2. Latifi (think he deserves it more than Williams as a whole as I was expecting him to plunge down the order and even behind Russell. None of it).
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

1. Alpine: Did anyone know this is actually the 50th win for the team since they started competing as Toleman 40 years ago? So happy for Ocon, he looked down and out only 2 years ago after losing his seat at Racing Point, talk about irony. Alonso's clearly still got it.

2. Williams: First points since 2019, first double points finish since 2018, in double figures for the first time since 2017. I'm especially happy for Russell after another puncture looked set to scupper him again early on and both cars briefly being under investigation.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

1 Alpine, both Ocon and Alonso did an outstanding job and are obvious candidates.
2 Latifi. Williams finally scores points, double points, but Latifi's been looking just stronger than Russell and deversed to finish ahead of him very much.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Alpine - Outstanding drive from both drivers. Ocon put his best drive in F1 thus far and Alonso gave out one of his best defensive drives which, in the end, won Esteban the race. Fantastic.

2. Williams - DOUBLE POINTS AND AHEAD OF ALFA ROMEO IN THE STANDINGS

Honorable mention to Sebastian Vettel for finishing on the podium with a fantastic drive (before getting disqualified) and for also doing the best activism from an ally on LGBT rights in a country which is rapidly turning into a place not to be for us. Was fantastic to see him give such a clear and loud voice on the subject. More than the EU has done thus far.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Latifi for beating his teammate.

Williams for having both drivers scoring multiple points each.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

1. Alpine: Ocon got that extra bit of luck and then survived the growing pressure to win ... thanks in big part to Alonso, who kept Lewis behind long enough in a car that had no right to do so.

2. Latifi: Aided enormously by the start of course but audacious moves and kept it long enough at the front to prevent a Lewis win later in the race. Also, helped massively in Williams hunt for 8th in the WCC
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Aloooonsoooo
That's all I want to say
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Batty

Post by Batty »

1. - Alpine - A 1-5 pending AM's appeal which could be a 1-4. Amazing stuff.

2. - Mick Schumacher - Dude was dicing it with Max, George and stuff. Great stuff.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Alpine as a whole: Ocon didn’t put a foot wrong and deserved his win while Alonso was the ultimate team player in holding off the only man who could spoil the fairytale for so long.

Williams: Let’s just rattle off a few stats to show how seismic a day this was for the Grove team:

George Russell’s first points in a Williams
Nicolas Latifi’s first points ever
Williams’s first points since Germany 2019
Williams’s first double points finish since Italy 2018

Yes Russell might have been lucky not to get disqualified but after everything he’s been through he deserves some fortune

HM to Max Verstappen for salvaging 2 points with basically half a car. 2 points which could prove vital come Abu Dhabi.
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

1) Alpine: Ocon had a faster car behind him virtually all race but demonstrated great maturity, aided by his teammate's heroic defending from Hamilton
2) Williams: Given the progress they have made over the last 2 years this is well deserved, both Nicolas and George stepped up to the plate and this might mean they pip Alfa to 8th come season's end

HM's
-Vettel: Unlucky with the fuel, hopefully Aston Martin can win their appeal, also off track he has been a heck of an example for us all to follow
-Hamilton: Should have been an easy win, thankfully for the neutral it wasn't, good drive back through the field though, especially if he is still struggling that much with Covid
-Verstappen: Good effort bringing that wounded car home in the points, especially getting past Ricciardo in the end
-Schumacher: Valiant defending against Max, only ever one winner but it was great to see
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Despite being one of GPR's most notable Williams fans, i'm going to be unbiased here.

1. Alpine - A great team effort. Can't give it to just Ocon because of Alonso, and vice versa.
2. Williams - Been waiting to see them back in the points for a long time. Means so much to Russell after coming so close, and i'm over the moon for him, I thought he was cursed. Really pleased for Latifi too. I couldn't stop smiling at the end of the race.

HM - Antonio Giovinazzi - No points, but starting from the pitlane meant he avoided all the first lap carnage. Smart move.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Rob Dylan

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Hungary (POLL

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll at the top of this thread!

Voting has begun for what you think is the most improbably great drive of the race in Hungary. And how spoiled for choice we are! You have 48 hours to make your decision :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Rob Dylan

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Hungary (Resu

Post by Rob Dylan »