Japanese Grand Prix cancelled due to rise in COVID-19 cases

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
RAK

Japanese Grand Prix cancelled due to rise in COVID-19 cases

Post by RAK »

BBC reporting it now - wonder if the race will be replaced by another one or if the teams will have some extra preparation pre-US Grand Prix.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Rob Dylan

Re: Japanese Grand Prix cancelled due to rise in COVID-19 ca

Post by Rob Dylan »

I hear that there will be a revised calendar released soon. I'm hoping for breaks, but as usual I'm cynical that we'll get four consecutive races at Abu Dhabi :pantano:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I have a feeling this was known internally for sometime. the official "F1 Experiences" page had ticket packages up very briefly for a Texas GP before being pulled.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Likely as not, F1 has already raced in Japan for the last time ever.

Definitely, F1 has already raced in Australia for the last time ever.

And to think that, once upon a time, someone on this forum - I wonder who it was? - made an offhand comment with the implication that Bernie Ecclestone was so drunk with lust for the acquisition of hard cash that he'd book a Grand Prix in Saudi Arabia with no concern given to that country's reputation that's even more chequered than the chequered flag - but, come on, even he wouldn't do that, surely? And yet, here we are, in the regime of his successors, about to do exactly that.

The Taliban Grand Prix - coming to the streets of Kabul in 2029, with Formula E trial events in the 2027-28 and 2028-29 seasons. You heard it here first. And on that day, you will refer to me as Nostradamus.

Following F1 is becoming more and more of a case of Stockholm Syndrome with every passing year.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Likely as not, F1 has already raced in Japan for the last time ever.

Definitely, F1 has already raced in Australia for the last time ever.

And to think that, once upon a time, someone on this forum - I wonder who it was? - made an offhand comment with the implication that Bernie Ecclestone was so drunk with lust for the acquisition of hard cash that he'd book a Grand Prix in Saudi Arabia with no concern given to that country's reputation that's even more chequered than the chequered flag - but, come on, even he wouldn't do that, surely? And yet, here we are, in the regime of his successors, about to do exactly that.

The Taliban Grand Prix - coming to the streets of Kabul in 2029, with Formula E trial events in the 2027-28 and 2028-29 seasons. You heard it here first. And on that day, you will refer to me as Nostradamus.

Following F1 is becoming more and more of a case of Stockholm Syndrome with every passing year.

So how long until a Grand Prix in North Korea, Mondas, or Skaro?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Well at least North Korea has an actual car industry. (no joke, they really have)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Please, NOT another venue having to take 2 races back to back please! (23 races is too many anyway!)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Butterfox wrote:Well at least North Korea has an actual car industry. (no joke, they really have)

And Skaro build lots of individual transportation devices...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Wallio wrote:I have a feeling this was known internally for sometime. the official "F1 Experiences" page had ticket packages up very briefly for a Texas GP before being pulled.

An email received from an /r/F1 user seems to disconfirm it.
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

So Japan can hold an Olympics that last 16 days over multiple places no problem but can’t hold a Grand Prix weekend lasting 4 days in one location and that has a much tighter COVID bubble?

Someone help me understand how that makes sense
mario

Post by mario »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:So Japan can hold an Olympics that last 16 days over multiple places no problem but can’t hold a Grand Prix weekend lasting 4 days in one location and that has a much tighter COVID bubble?

Someone help me understand how that makes sense

It seems the financial and political repercussions from not holding the Olympics would be much more than the cost of not holding the Japanese GP, hence why that has gone ahead and the race has not.

There are also reports that Liberty Media are now looking to hold a race in Qatar in November to replace the Australian GP, helping them to maintain that 23 race calendar. It does make you wonder whether that might be a one off, or if they could use this as a means of adding that circuit to the calendar to pad it out.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Nothing can stop that inevitable 23 race calendar! Liberty will host a thousand Abu Dhabi races if that's what it takes :deletraz:

At the very least Qatar is somewhere different (for F1 at least). Variety is at least welcome.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Looks like Qatar gets its Grand Prix. I can't exactly say I'm happy about yet another slave-driving Middle Eastern petrostate getting a Grand Prix over established tracks, but I can't say I'm surprised either.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The sub-heading

Formula 1 has cut its schedule to 22 races this season...

sounds like a parody headline from 20 years ago when they started expanding the calendar. 22 races in a year is cutting back from the original plan of 23, and it will still be the most races ever done in a single year. I can't imagine the teams and their families are complaining about this.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:. I can't imagine the teams and their families are complaining about this.

I hope that's sarcasm, because I definitely can imagine the complaints!

Unless you mean complaints about the cancellations. First time, I read it as no complaints about there being a record number of races...
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

As a good friend of mine on the other side of the Atlantic said:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a clown honking a horn at a human face... forever.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

dr-baker wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:. I can't imagine the teams and their families are complaining about this.

Unless you mean complaints about the cancellations. First time, I read it as no complaints about there being a record number of races...

The Baker hurt himself in his confusion :P
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Butterfox wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

The Baker hurt himself in his confusion :P

Baker needs a cuddle from his mummy... :cry:
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

It’s lucky these tracks don’t make a lot of money from F1 (thanks Bernie) as we’d possibly see a few shut down permanently if they relied on it. Ironic.
Just For One Day...