Raikkonen to retire from F1

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Alextrax52

Raikkonen to retire from F1

Post by Alextrax52 »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTSUHnoDG4L ... =copy_link

Expected really given his age and I think it came a season too late given his declining speed and a few silly mistakes.

Still doesn’t take away from some great memories. Japan 2005, 4 times a winner at Spa, Abu Dhabi 2012 and of course the 2007 World Championship are some of my favourite memories

Farewell Iceman. You know what you are doing
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Raikkonen to retire from F1

Post by Butterfox »

To the surprise of absolutely no-one. (i mean it was a surprise he kept going this long)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Years ago, as a callow youth, I remember wondering why Derek Warwick kept on going. What’s the point, you’re never gonna win anything now Degsy, knock it on the head. As I look at Raikkonen retiring for good today I’m sure tonnes of people feel the same way I did about Warwick back then. We’ve missed the point, they kept on going because it’s F1, why would you stop if you didn’t have to?

Hey, do any of the older members remember that site where you could ask ‘Kimi’ anything and most answers were “I was taking a shite”? That was brilliant.
Just For One Day...
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Does anyone else relate things like this to their own age? As in, "He was the last current driver who was in F1 when I was still at school... Well, sixth form, anyway!"
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Hm well Alonso was already around when i was still in school, but all the rest came after that.

The last driver to race from when i seriously started watching F1 was Michael though, and that's already a while ago. In fact 'sons of' from when i started watching (Max, Kevin, Mick) have been racing for a while now. And kids of Kimi/Fernando generation might soon also arrive. I mean my point is that i'm already over the fact that everyone is so young.

I respect Kimi's obvious achievements, but ever since hist Lotus days, he's been known as a driver who doesn't always give 100% and i rather have someone trying a bit harder. Regardless if Kimi has fun or hasn't, he had his time, time to put in someone who can still give 100% each weekend. (and isn't Gio :) )
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'm happy that he's retiring on his own terms, but I'm also happy he's going. He had a few extra years of winding down after Ferrari, and it's good to let someone else with a bit more promise into that Alfa Romeo seat, like Valtteri Bottas :pantano: :pantano: :pantano:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Well, Klon, you got what you wanted. I can't say I'm even remotely surprised at the decision, though - if I was Kimi I'd have called it quits as soon as Corona-chan started violating the world. Was it really worth it for these last two seasons?

CoopsII wrote:Hey, do any of the older members remember that site where you could ask ‘Kimi’ anything and most answers were “I was taking a shite”? That was brilliant.

If you mean The F1 Slate, I'm still convinced it was someone on here (when it was still the F1 Rejects Forum) that was behind it. There were too many similarities.

Paul Hayes wrote:Does anyone else relate things like this to their own age? As in, "He was the last current driver who was in F1 when I was still at school... Well, sixth form, anyway!"

Michael Schumacher, in my case... in a season that also featured Jos Verstappen and Jan Magnussen from the "father of current and recent F1 drivers" stable.

Which actually doesn't narrow it down to a single season, so I'll specify that it was 1997.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

dinizintheoven wrote:Well, Klon, you got what you wanted.
CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES, COME ON

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Farewell, old man, and know that I will not miss you nor your insufferable fanbase for one second.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Predictions he'll be the 2022 Dark Mini in MiniDrivers :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Paul Hayes wrote:Does anyone else relate things like this to their own age? As in, "He was the last current driver who was in F1 when I was still at school... Well, sixth form, anyway!"

Yeah, he’s the last F1 driver to be my age or older. From this point forward every f1 driver from now til the day I die will be younger than me!
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Actually, I'd forgotten that Alonso started at the same time, of course!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dinizintheoven wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Hey, do any of the older members remember that site where you could ask ‘Kimi’ anything and most answers were “I was taking a shite”? That was brilliant.

If you mean The F1 Slate, I'm still convinced it was someone on here (when it was still the F1 Rejects Forum) that was behind it. There were too many similarities.

That was it! I just checked and, other than a long dormant Twitter page, it seems to have been lost in the ether. Shame, and I also remember it being linked to a member of the forum from back then too but I don't recall who. It definitely wasn't Dr Baker - not enough laydezz on it.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote: It definitely wasn't Dr Baker - not enough laydezz on it.

You're right, it wasn't Nurse Dr Baker. But I do spend a lot of time with the laydezz at work, being a nurse and all that.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Still an absolute playa. Respect :dance:
Just For One Day...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

And why's Kubica the first choice from cold storage?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Orlen wrote:Make Kubica drivings plox.

Saubfer Romeo wrote:Gib Polski oilmoneys plox.

Orlen wrote:Deal.

Nico Hülkenberg wrote:Das ist nicht gut!

Alex Albon wrote:*obscenties in Thai*

Callum Ilott wrote:I should be playing cricket anyway.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Spectoremg wrote:And why's Kubica the first choice from cold storage?

Orlen money.