19%
Sebastian Vettel on dry tyres
62%

Total votes: 21

Miguel98

Reject of the Race - Turkey 2021 (POLL)

Post by Miguel98 »

Nominations time!
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Hermann95
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Reject of the Race - Turkey 2021

Post by Hermann95 »

An easy one:

Sebastian Vettel. The call for slicks was just :facepalm:
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Sebastian Vettel: Disastrous decision to go onto the mediums, which lost him any ground he had made up.

2) Hamilton's strategists/Lewis Hamilton: Lost a couple of places and several valuable points in a very tight championship.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

1. Alan van der Merwe for trusting dumbasses on Facebook over decades of medical research.
  2. Aston Martin. OK, it was a gamble, but it was a "stick the paycheck on Bielefeld against Bayern" kind of gamble.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Vettel's stop for slicks

Hamilton's stop for new inters
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

1. Aston Martin strategists. Vettel's sole lap on slicks is the tragicomedy we live for at GPR.

2. Daniel Ricciardo. I thought he would follow Sainz in carving through the field, at not one point did he look like he would salvage a result. I am disappointed.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Mazepin for that jink against Lewis under blue flags

(2) Ricciardo for null points from an anonymous race
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Daniel Ricciardo was pretty disappointing all weekend. Dishonorable mention to Aston Martin/Vettel for their disastrous tire strategy – they ruined all of their chances to get points, it has been a while since a team got it this wrong.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Vettel for reasons as stayed above.

Anonslow, sorry I mean Alonso.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
went

Post by went »

Mazepin's defending against Hamilton: Sure, we all know he's utterly useless as a F1 driver. But I'd have expected him to at least become acquainted with the only maneuvre he does dozens of times every race: giving way to the frontrunners. It seems not.

Tsunoda: He was 8th after the start, not so far behind his teammate. He finished one lap behind, spin and hopeless defending against anyone who got anywhere near him (other than his first laps against Hamilton) included.

Mercedes's strategists: Waited too long to pit Hamilton because they didn't want to overrule him. In the end, he was stuck in a lose-lose situation: if they left him outside, his tyres were nearing the cliff as everyone else's started working; but if they pitted him, he didn't have enough laps left to get his tyres into shape as everybody had already finished the process. They bottled the call and ruined his race, giving Verstappen a much larger gap than anybody would have expected from a track in which Hamilton was so clearly dominant.

McLaren: Sainz schooled Ricciardo pretty badly and Norris barely held on against a guy who had started 19th on a similarly powerful car.

I'm not nominating Vettel because, well, someone had to try, he had little to lose and the track spent the second half of the race on a weird state in which it was too dry for inters but too wet for slicks. Someone would have done it at some point.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Vettel's strategy move and Van der Merwe's 'knowledge of science' deserve this, but dishounourable mentions to Hamilton/Merc, Ricciardo, Tsunoda for dropping off again, Alonso and mobile chicane Mazepin.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Mazepin's move was very dangerous and dodgy, I have no idea what he was even attempting to do there.

Fernando Alonso maybe truly deserves this award for being among the most hyped drivers going into the race. He was too opportunistic into turn 1 and got punished for it (no way did Gasly deserve a penalty). Then at the back he punts off Mick Schumacher only a few laps later and finishes in the basement with the Williams drivers. Beforehand people were suggesting him for a shock podium :facepalm:

Merc strategy is just one of those things. Hamilton didn't really have a bad race - 5th is perfectly serviceable, even if they expected better.

However, Aston strategy is something else entirely :deletraz: I really want to know whether it was Seb or the team who suggested it. Considering the calmness of Seb over the radio, my instinct would be to suggest it was the driver who had thought it up. It was really comical to see the guy slipping around and around and almost doing a David Coulthard "and into the pitlane OOOAAAHHH".

Really I don't think there was any real standout contender, so I would probably say Vettel or Alonso.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- Aston Martin/ Seb Vettel- Since they win as one they can look like idiots as one- The track was nowhere near dry enough for Slicks. And it epically failed. pitting twice in 2 laps because you had the wrong tires on is pure reject material
2- Mazipin- For ignoring blue flags. Again. He could have done Red bull a massive favor and took Hammy out with his driving.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Sebastian Vettel/Aston Martin: Probably the dumbest strategy I can remember since Toyota choked away the 2009 Bahrain GP. When you can’t even negotiate a straight line or pit lane turn correctly you know you messed up.

Daniel Ricciardo: After his strong recent surge this weekend saw the return of the pre-Summer Break Ricciardo. Out in Q1 and made no impression on the points while the man he replaced helped Ferrari to eat into McLaren’s advantage from a similar position. Finished behind the Alfa Romeo’s for good measure.

Lewis Hamilton: Can someone just mute or unplug his radio for one race so I don’t have to listen to him? Also Rachel made a fantastic point after Hungary that he needs to grasp these situations by the scruff of the neck and take charge and this race proved that again.

Nikita Mazepin: What was he trying to achieve with that move except maybe become to the Dutch what Jean Louis Schlesser is to the Tifosi?
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

1. The Vettel fiasco.
2. The weather, rain more or dry up please.
Batty

Post by Batty »

Not giving it to AM. Seb called it and he lost a point. It was a risk and he didn't crash.

1. Ferrari and Mercedes strategy - Charles and Lewis lost positions not pitting earlier. Staying out was not the right option at all. Charles could have gotten P2 or P3 while Lewis could have gotten P3 if he pitted around the same time as Checo potentially if Charles stayed out.

2/ Mazzy for his dirty mirrors nearly hitting Lewis.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

1. Vettel pls
2. Nikita pls
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Something not previously mentioned: Gasly's penalty - SO harsh when he was 3 abreast in the wet. Without it, could have beaten Hamilton, possibly even Leclerc.

Though Tsunoda dropping like a stone again was poor too. Given Red Bull squad's record for hiring and firing, I can't see being around much longer.

Think it's harsh to nominate Vettel/Ricciardo/Hamilton as the first two were out of the points and nothing much to lose by rolling the dice, and Hamilton was in between a rock and a hard place.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

1. Sebastian Vettel - I know it was a calculated gamble but that one lap cameo on slicks looked totally amateur. You knew it was a bad call after literally three corners?

I can't call Mercedes strategy rejectful, I believe Hamilton really thought track would be dry enough to go for slicks in the last 10 laps or so. When it became clear it won't dry up, he was screwed either way. If he didn't pit for new inters, he'd lose places anyway (same as Ocon who barely beat Giovinazzi for the last point).
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Alan van der Merwe - not having vaccines and then being COVID-positive.
2. Sebastian Vettel - too much risk taking slicks, especially mediums
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

James1978 wrote:Something not previously mentioned: Gasly's penalty - SO harsh when he was 3 abreast in the wet. Without it, could have beaten Hamilton, possibly even Leclerc.

You could make a case for the stewards getting the award given that decision and - unless I missed something - their complete failure to penalise Mazepin for chopping Lewis. OK, they got the Alonso on Mick decision right but you don't have to be a genius to call that one!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I’d also like to throw Giovanazzi a nomination after finding out that he disobeyed team orders not once but twice. Raikkonen was so much faster and would have surely overhauled Ocon for that last point. Given Alfa need every point they can to at least put doubt into Williams minds I think that’s a bit petty from Gio and also tells me that I don’t think he’ll be partnering Bottas next year
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Vettel's strategy - No words, just vibes. Guess they employed Ferrari for one round. Can see why they did risk it but it was so hilarious it's really hard not to be a slamdunk.

2. Fernando Alonso - Had him thinking he could steal a podium but his overambitious move into turn 1 and then crashing into Mick was pure amateur stuff on conditions he should excel.

Honorable mention to Antonio Giovinazzi for disobeying twice team orders, to Daniel Ricciardo for having a 5000 RGR race and, while not an official nomination, Alan van der Merwe's... science research. :facepalm:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Rob Dylan

Re: Reject of the Race - Turkey 2021 (POLL)

Post by Rob Dylan »

The poll from Turkey is open! You have 48 hours to vote in the poll at the top of this thread. Get voting :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Londoner

Re: Reject of the Race - Turkey 2021 (POLL)

Post by Londoner »

Find out who slipped and slid to the ignominy of ROTR around Istanbul Park right here tonight!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l