IIDOTR - Mexico 2021 (POLL)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1

Pick your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race!

Poll ended at 13 Nov 2021, 10:33

Fernando Alonso
No votes
Kimi Raikkonen
62%
Pierre Gasly
38%
Sebastian Vettel
No votes

Total votes: 21

Londoner

IIDOTR - Mexico 2021 (POLL)

Post by Londoner »

1. Pierre Gasly. Easily the best of the rest today.

2. Sebastian Vettel. A quiet race with a reward, just what Aston Martin needed.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race - Mexico 2021

Post by Enforcer »

Going to go with Pierre Gasly too. He's been best of the rest a few times, and does have the best engine for Mexico. But he still comfortably beat the Ferraris who have a better car.
RAK

Post by RAK »

1) Pierre Gasly: I expected him to do decently and pick up a few points; being best of the rest was admittedly a step above that.

2) Fernando Alonso: Didn't start in a great position, but pulled it back for a points score.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Going for the old hands in midfield cars that are Vettel, Raikkonen and Alonso. Not a bad day’s work for 3 men with a combined age of 115.

Gasly as well for repeatedly dragging that car into places it shouldn’t belong. If AlphaTauri take 5th in the constructors then he’ll have done it almost singlehandedly
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

1. Kimi Räikkönen. Equalling the season-best result, was able to stay ahead of all those who had grid penalties.
2. Pierre Gasly.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

1- The ones who some thought should have retired by now (Vettel, Kimi, and Alonso). All had a clean race (only during the race though Kimi I am looking at you) and all three scored good points.

2- Pierre Gasly. Dragging Alfa Tauri by its neck now. 5th is back on for the red bull juniors and its all thanks to him.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

1. Pierre Gasly for being best of the rest – you can always count on him to deliver, but it's still better than I expected from AlphaTauri.
2. Kimi Räikkönen for equaling his best result of the season with an impressive eighth place.
3. Nikita Mazepin for what may have been his best race weekend so far. After he ended up in 11th after the start chaos, I was expecting him to drop back immediately (or crash out), but he managed to hold off the drivers behind him longer than I'd ever have thought.
went

Post by went »

1- Gasly
2- The Three Old Men
IceG

Post by IceG »

(1) Verstappen - did it totally on merit from the first corner pass to the flag with no drama, no whining, and no dodgy manoeuvres. Just a brilliant, clean champion's race.

(2) Vettel, Räikkönen and Alonso - three world champions showing how it is done. All scored points in under-performing cars, with three different engines, entered by teams with names beginning with "A".

(HM) Ferrari - for showing that they deserve third in the WCC this year.
Batty

Post by Batty »

1. Sebastian Vettel - Great drive and great strat from AM.

2. Kimi Raikkonen - Despite all the trouble he had before the race, he managed to put in a clean one and score points. Didn't see that coming.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Peter the Gas Leak gets my vote too - thrashed Ferrari for best of the rest. Kimi gets 2nd place.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

1. Kimi Raikkonen - He's beating Giovinazzi 10-1 in the standings with his drive. What more can I say?

2. Sebastian Vettel - Very solid hands as well.

Honorable mentions to Pierre Gasly and Lando Norris.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dj_vicious

Post by dj_vicious »

1. Gasly: A quiet, but well-earned 4th place. This man is carry AT on his shoulders.

2. Perez: it took him a while to get to grips with the Red Bull, but now he is delivering the performances the team hired him for: Put pressure on Hamilton and Mercedes. Drover over 40 laps on the mediums, setting personal bests towards the end of his run, then closed a 10-second gap to Hamilton, forcing the latter to wear out his tires and fall further behind Max. It was a strategic master class and Perez' unique skills were central to its success.
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

A question for the forum. Where can Gasly go? He’s been top class the last two years, yet it feels like he has no shot at the Red Bull drive. I feel like he’s (more or less) a match for Leclerc, Sainz, Russell, Norris etc. but there’s no room in the short or medium term future at a team capable of winning races on pure merit. Why is this?
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:A question for the forum. Where can Gasly go? He’s been top class the last two years, yet it feels like he has no shot at the Red Bull drive. I feel like he’s (more or less) a match for Leclerc, Sainz, Russell, Norris etc. but there’s no room in the short or medium term future at a team capable of winning races on pure merit. Why is this?

I wonder if he is eyeing hammy's seat at Merc when Hammy gives up.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

rachel1990 wrote:
Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:A question for the forum. Where can Gasly go? He’s been top class the last two years, yet it feels like he has no shot at the Red Bull drive. I feel like he’s (more or less) a match for Leclerc, Sainz, Russell, Norris etc. but there’s no room in the short or medium term future at a team capable of winning races on pure merit. Why is this?

I wonder if he is eyeing hammy's seat at Merc when Hammy gives up.

Would Merc consider a Red Bull junior? Obviously it would be great for Gasly.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

At the moment I can't see Mercedes junior driver to be ready for gig when Hamilton gives up. If he continues up to Kimi's age then it might be different scenario.

But as of now I can see it Norris, Sainz and Gasly being top options.

Norris if McLaren hasn't made the leap to the championship contender while Mercedes stays on top with new rule changes. Sainz if Ferrari goes for emotion and signs Mick Schumacher to take place in the factory team and Gasly in nearly any other scenario, unless he takes Alonso's spot at Alpine when Spaniard retires.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Poll is open at the top of this thread. You have 48 hours to get voting for your Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race candidate :dance:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Re: IIDOTR - Mexico 2021 (POLL)

Post by Rob Dylan »

And the results are in! Read the incredibly interesting and sexy race report, written by yours truly
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Londoner

Re: IIDOTR - Mexico 2021 (POLL)

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l