The forum is 10 years old

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

The forum is 10 years old

Post by Nuppiz »

Based on member registrations and the still-remaining original subforum introductory threads, the forum was officially "opened" on Saturday, 28th March 2009 under its original host F1Rejects. One of the members who registered all the way back then still remains active - Klon. I'd call that a bit of an achievement. I probably would've registered then as well if I weren't away from home that weekend - back then mobile internet was still a luxury...

As we all know for a bit under half of its lifetime the forum has been under a different rule, due to an unfortunate set of circumstances that forced F1Rejects to cease existing. While forum activity has reduced from the early 2010s heyday, we still get a decent amount of activity during F1 weekends. So here's hoping for another 10 years!
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The forum is 10 years old

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Cheers and hopefully in 10 years I can access this with a video chip in my eye :D
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I appear to have joined when the forum was but a day old, on 29th March 2009, I think after hearing it be announced on one of the classic, surely-missed podcasts. And I have enjoyed my time on here since. No wonder my post count is high, higher than... All?! :shock:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Aivan saatanan hyvältä!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Congratulations!

Had fun here, learned a lot, had istsy bitsy drama one time but that calmed down. I'm no longer as attached to the forum as i used to be but still have warm heart.

Thanks for those 10 years.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Waris

Post by Waris »

Hooray! To 10 more years of us!

And I still hope one day we'll find out what happened to the original F1 Rejects forum...
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Ah those were the days...
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

If I'd never joined up here, I'd never be doing what I do now.

So thanks all - you've all been lovely.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Obviously, haven't been around for the full ten year, but I can say this place has been nothing but awesome.

Seriously, from the 14 year-old that joined the forum to talk about rejects and make custom championships to the 21 year-old who....still talks about rejects and makes custom championships, this place has been fairly important in my life, so to speak. Whenever I've got free time, I'll always pop by to see what's going on in here.

From a young fan of the old site to someone who actually contributed a bit to the new site, I love F1/GP Rejects for highlighting those that deserve to have a story written about them that have been overlooked. Keep on being awesome, GPRejects :--)
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Well, it's been a while! I'd been reading the website and lurking on the forums for months before I finally joined, and I've now been in this mad house for what it worryingly approaching half my life. F1 Rejects solidified my love of motorsport into my teenage years around the underdog spirit, GP Rejects allowed me to take on some writing projects I would otherwise never have done myself, and the community surrounding one site then the other has provided me with a strong group of people, some of whom I proudly consider to be some of my oldest friends.

Y'all have been nothing but supportive (except for Klon, but that's just Klon being Klon) from the moment I joined as what we all believed to be the youngest forum member. Especially everyone who has or does regularly frequent the chatroom, where thousands of mornings, afternoons and evenings were wasted or well spent discussing alternate championships, motorsport history, geopolitics and wrestling among other things. You made me realise that motorsport engineering was an actual thing people study, helped me out and called me out on my shite when I was at a low point through university, and ultimately without you lot, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Somewhat ironically, thanks to your support throughout my almost 9 years in this community, I now have a job in motorsport that leaves me with precious little time to visit this forum with as much regularity as I did in the past, when I'd devote more time to it than to any other pursuit. Ultimately, this is a good problem to have. I will not turn my back on this community that shaped the person I've become, but I guess this serves as an explanation for why I've not been around as much.

I love you all.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

First started reading the forum c.2012, when I would read Jenoch's opinion pieces and find myself agreeing with them way too much. Back then (2011-2014) I was on F1Fanatic all the time, but found it very partisan towards Hamilton, Vettel and Räikkönen - even Alonso fans weren't made to feel welcome there. Wanted a change of forum and scene, and eventually found the forum here. Made a straight switch on the weekend of the Monaco GP that year and have barely given F1Fanatic a thought since. Have loved the community here and done everything I can to keep the silliness and the fun alive. It's a lot quieter here since the new GPRejects forum was founded, but that doesn't matter to me.

I, too, love you all.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Been on this forum almost since the beginning, those were simpler times.

Unlike others on here, I don't love you all. I think you're all sound, but I wouldn't go that far.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

FullMetalJack wrote:Unlike others on here, I don't love you all. I think you're all sound, but I wouldn't go that far.

It was me joining the forum wasn’t it? :lol:
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Blimey is it really that long, :shock: I suppose it is as it's the 10th birthday of the brawn era or as I call it a real changing of the guard season in F1, something I don't think had happened before in F1 (except 1994 when Benetton started a brief dominant period) 2 of the previous years Top teams struggled and more than 1 Previously midfield team started winning....
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Congratulations and thank you all as well for making Gp Rejects what it is. I don't think any of us would have it any other way.
I joined on 1st April by the looks of it, so I guess that also makes me part of the old guard?
Not much of a poster myself, rarely do I feel I have much to contribute.
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Frentzen127 wrote:I joined on 1st April by the looks of it, so I guess that also makes me part of the old guard

Noob.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Ten years... :shock: That's just incredible, it really shows how time flies. I think I first found the forums in 2010 or 2011 (not that long after I had become an F1 fan), though it took me a while to join. I never really became a fixture here, but I can't deny I had quite a bit of fun in those days. :D And while my activity is a shadow of what it used to be (though I can't say I was ever one of the most active here), I still visit every F1 weekend to vote on IIDOTR and ROTR and update that one alternative championship. Old habits die hard. ;)

Congratulations to the forums on this milestone – may they remain active for years to come!
girry

Post by girry »

It's a shame the activity has dipped lately. I blame that on the FIA eliminating the true Rejects.

This is probably the nicest community I know online. It's a trait not many forums have these days, or have ever had, and I hope it enables us to continue - even if it is with "only" the current activity levels. Here's to another 10 years. :dance:
when you're dead people start listening
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

tommykl wrote:Y'all have been nothing but supportive (except for Klon, but that's just Klon being Klon) from the moment I joined as what we all believed to be the youngest forum member.

Yeah, just throw a random insult against me out there like that. Sure, why not?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Ataxia wrote:If I'd never joined up here, I'd never be doing what I do now.

So thanks all - you've all been lovely.

I second this. It's why, unfortunately, I've not been around much of late. It's reached 10 years old thanks to a change in ownership and name and perhaps it'll take that to survive the next 10. But life finds a way...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image