Forum Facts

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
AndreaModa

Re: Forum Facts

Post by AndreaModa »

Good argument Watka, though I'd be inclined to say Sunday trading laws (at least in the UK) came long before the advent of online shopping. It's main drivers in my eyes are convenience, and boosting the economy. When you work 5 days a week full-time, why have one day to go shopping when you can have two, and greater flexibility? It's about making it as easy as possible for people to spend money, and thus benefit all areas of society - shops and their owners (whether local or national chains), councils through additional rent, the government through more VAT and more corporation tax, and the people employed in the shops who are given another opportunity to earn money.

Whether people like it or not, an economy such as the UK's is driven primarily by the financial sector, and the service sector of which the vast majority is retail. Much has been made of the rise of online shopping, but it's becoming more apparent as time goes by that the physical store isn't going to die out, shop owners just need to adjust their approach - making their shops attractive and easy for people to use and drop into when they want - which includes opening on Sundays. Allied to that they need to ensure they have a good presence online with a decent website and online shop. It's a joined-up strategy that is required, not one over the other. Otherwise, with the ease of websites like Amazon, eBay and Gumtree, you can quickly take your custom elsewhere if your local shop isn't up to task.

Unfortunately an argument such as restricting Sunday trading hours will do nothing to protect local shops. If anything, as I pointed out above, it will make them even less accessible and thus more susceptible to loosing business to alternatives that make it easy for people. Too many old shop owners are too cynical and too set in their ways to innovate and make the changes needed to keep business. In Banbury, a medium-sized town of some 40-45,000 where I come from, I can think of numerous independent shops that are either already shut or not far from it because they haven't changed since I was going into them as a kid in the mid-90s. And none of that has anything to do with Sunday trading laws. It's a case of risking standing still and becoming completely irrelevant to the new generation. Simple as that.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote: Too many old shop owners are too cynical and too set in their ways to innovate and make the changes needed to keep business.

When I read that sentence, one thing came to mind: Bernie.

And actually, my main reason for not wanting Sunday trading is more along 'religious' reasons, and also explained by this website, giving more than economic reasons.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

I agree with AndreaModa.

Another argument is that for a lot of people, sunday is the only day of the week that they have enough time to do their purchases. That is the hard reality of many people on this planet, including the rich countries. Denying them the possibility (some of them have access to online shops, but not all of them) is isolating them from society.

In the modern day, treating sunday as different from other days of the week is just not sustainable. Especially the fact that in my city, there is nearly no public transport on a sunday, is just ridiculous. Even people just wanting to visit their family are denied of the possibility to do that. So even the non-economical reasons to keep sunday a special day are just not in touch with reality of most people.

I understand that Bakers ideas are rather a case of 'how it would be in an ideal world', but there is no denying the fact that we don't live in an ideal world, and we got to make the best out of the opportunities we have. (and also it's impossible to define 'ideal' as different people have different dynamics and different needs in their life)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Also, banning Sunday trading stops the creation of part-time working opportunities that can be invaluable to some who don't have the possibility to do so during the week. I don't buy the argument that people have to work more because of Sunday trading - in many cases, weekday and weekend staff are seperate, or at least weekend working is not mandatory. The rail industry is a good example - no drivers are contractually obliged to work Sundays, but can opt to if they wish.

To ban Sunday trading imposes restrictions upon the population some people would be against. After all, there is not much to force us to avoid using Sunday as a 'family day', rather we are simply choosing not to. The nuclear family is dead, the campaign for keeping Sundays as a day for family is flogging a dead horse. The demographic is a minority.

Also, what This said. Our perspectives of 'ideal' change drasticly from person to person. There's no need to ban something for everyone when many are happy with it being so, and might be quite annoyed or angered with such a ban.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I use the "student" argument to justify Sunday trading being made longer, most of our brethren do not awaken from their slumber until well after noon time. :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:I understand that Bakers ideas are rather a case of 'how it would be in an ideal world', but there is no denying the fact that we don't live in an ideal world, and we got to make the best out of the opportunities we have. (and also it's impossible to define 'ideal' as different people have different dynamics and different needs in their life)

Biscione wrote:Also, what This said. Our perspectives of 'ideal' change drastically from person to person. There's no need to ban something for everyone when many are happy with it being so, and might be quite annoyed or angered with such a ban.

Sadly, you have a strong, valid point. Technically, I'm against working on a Sunday full-stop. But people still fall ill and get injuries on Sundays so we need doctors and nurses. If there were no police, crime may well climb on a Sunday, so we need police too. Fires still happen, so fire crews too. And once you start making exceptions for some people, where do you draw the line? Is it essential to have plumbers or locksmiths to work Sundays? What about pharmacies? So being consistent is difficult. And we all have free will to make our own decisions and choices, so to heck with it. There's an ideal world, then there's the real world. And I enjoy watching people getting paid to do their job of driving fast around race tracks on Sundays...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:I understand that Bakers ideas are rather a case of 'how it would be in an ideal world', but there is no denying the fact that we don't live in an ideal world, and we got to make the best out of the opportunities we have. (and also it's impossible to define 'ideal' as different people have different dynamics and different needs in their life)

Biscione wrote:Also, what This said. Our perspectives of 'ideal' change drastically from person to person. There's no need to ban something for everyone when many are happy with it being so, and might be quite annoyed or angered with such a ban.

Sadly, you have a strong, valid point. Technically, I'm against working on a Sunday full-stop. But people still fall ill and get injuries on Sundays so we need doctors and nurses. If there were no police, crime may well climb on a Sunday, so we need police too. Fires still happen, so fire crews too. And once you start making exceptions for some people, where do you draw the line? Is it essential to have plumbers or locksmiths to work Sundays? What about pharmacies? So being consistent is difficult. And we all have free will to make our own decisions and choices, so to heck with it. There's an ideal world, then there's the real world. And I enjoy watching people getting paid to do their job of driving fast around race tracks on Sundays...

Sunday's just another day. Doesn't matter what religious or social connotations it brings, it's just one more cog in the seemingly never-ending cycle of days.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:Sunday's just another day. Doesn't matter what religious or social connotations it brings, it's just one more cog in the seemingly never-ending cycle of days.

For you, maybe, but it isn't so for everybody. Although it can feel like that sometimes. Life is what you attempt to make of it.
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

dr-baker wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Sunday's just another day. Doesn't matter what religious or social connotations it brings, it's just one more cog in the seemingly never-ending cycle of days.

For you, maybe, but it isn't so for everybody. Although it can feel like that sometimes. Life is what you attempt to make of it.

That's a bold statement. I'd rather say 'sunday doesn't necessairily has to be sunday, it also can be a tuesday, or wednesday or every other day depending from person to person', and it doesn't specifically have to happen every week. I would consider moon and sun cycles as significantly more important than week cycles, because that's how our planet rolls. So stating that every day is the same is a bit scientifically untrue. Everyday has the potential to be unique. Sounds like you're depressed, Ataxia :P
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

On the front page it says the forum has exactly 4000 topics! :D
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

87 people have got 1000 or more posts.
Officially Retired
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Did the apocalypse began? For some reason on my tablet I can't see anyone's avatars :?
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

HawkAussie wrote:87 people have got 1000 or more posts.

Of whom 3 have 10,000+ posts.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
HawkAussie wrote:87 people have got 1000 or more posts.

Of whom 3 need to get out a little more

Fixed ;)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I just noticed that I've made the 8,000th post in the Black Stig Memorial Forum.
#FreeGonzo
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

This wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
This wrote:You really want me to answer that? :lol:

In short: i'm kind of being a parody of myself by over-exagerrating things and pulling them out of their context a lot. With purpose to test how good this forum copes with these kind of thing. I'm testing out how far one can go, so it will encourage people to be themselves, no matter how weird they are, because they know you people can deal with it. ;)

So, how is it going? That sociological experiment with us as your guinea pigs?

We'll see if it worked when someone else tells things about themselves that are considered controversial by society. I'm just paving the road for others. (at least, i hope)

The reaction of this forum is very interesting, in the fact that the general reaction is 'yeah, whatever, do what you want'. This proves this forum is more open-minded when it really matters than most of internet, or at least not against it. In most places, you would expect hate messages rather soon. Well, i haven't received one yet, so i can say this place is LBGT-safe. Now why would i use this place as an experiment? Well, after all this is an autosport forum, a typical guy place. (At least, that's what society says). Fact is that typical guy places are usually very transphobic and homophobic into the extreme. The fact that reactions on here are reasonable, means this forum just passed a huge test. It also proves autosport is not an elite guy thing anymore. Don't worry about the lack of 'native females' here, this will just take time.
Then why over-exaggerating things in a self-humourous way? Well, it's a lot easier than just saying the truth, because of the simple fact that nobody takes it serious. People know what i'm saying is nonsens, but that there's also a hint of truth in it, because if it wasn't, i wouldn't say it. Humour is the best way to see how far you can go with people. And threatening to do it with others was just situational. Well, i have the feeling that i can now say 'things are going to change a lot, deal with it'. And it's not going to change for fun or for excitement. It's not actually a fetish, it's not just dressing up either, i was just very curious how the forum would cope with the thought of me as a female person. And altough i'm obviously different than other people here, people generally didn't see that one coming. Except for those who read the hints i already dropped. Nothing is without a reason.

More information than you wanted to know? I don't have to tell this, but i choose to do it anyway, because i like this forum, and i want this place to be a safe home for all people, no matter who they are.
Now who was that guy that wanted an LBGT team somewhere? Well, you can come out of your closet now, it's safe enough here! :D

Well despite being one of the more right leaning 'MURICAN! members on here, I'm going to a midnight performance of The Rocky Horror Show (the live play) as Frank N Furter. How's that for a curveball? I'm bringing my wife (as Columbia) but still.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

See that?

Just reached 5000 posts.

Am waiting for my certificate.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

pasta_maldonado wrote:See that?

Just reached 5000 posts.

Twatwaffle.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

:lol:
Just For One Day...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Image of the year.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Biscione wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:See that?

Just reached 5000 posts.

Twatwaffle.

Post of the God Damned Year.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

5000 posts. I guess I need this image as well.

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bobby Doorknobs

There have been no new members since September. This is the longest time in the forum's history that no new members have joined. Usually there's at least a few every month. :|
#FreeGonzo
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Simtek wrote:There have been no new members since September. This is the longest time in the forum's history that no new members have joined. Usually there's at least a few every month. :|

I hadn't noticed this before, but sure enough, after a short investigation, it turns out user registration has been disabled, ever since the forum broke out with a case of eBola. Now that I've noticed, it's been reactivated.

However, given how much the site has been bombarded by spambots and the like over the years, new registrations will require admin approval to be accepted. The forum database is filled with enough worthless spam account as is.

Image Image
Bobby Doorknobs

Biscione wrote:
Simtek wrote:There have been no new members since September. This is the longest time in the forum's history that no new members have joined. Usually there's at least a few every month. :|

I hadn't noticed this before, but sure enough, after a short investigation, it turns out user registration has been disabled, ever since the forum broke out with a case of eBola. Now that I've noticed, it's been reactivated.

However, given how much the site has been bombarded by spambots and the like over the years, new registrations will require admin approval to be accepted. The forum database is filled with enough worthless spam account as is.

And already three people have joined. :lol: But how many of them are real?
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Prior to this post, this forum has had 333,030 posts, meaning 303 posts until hitting 333,333 posts!
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:Prior to this post, this forum has had 333,030 posts, meaning 303 posts until hitting 333,333 posts!

And the honour of 333,333rd post goes to:
Aguaman wrote:
Biscione wrote:The 'designs' (i.e. the red) on the car look like something a boy racer would stick on his Corsa :facepalm:

Pretty much or like how some 10 year old would design his car in a video game.

How mundane.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Prior to this post, this forum has had 333,030 posts, meaning 303 posts until hitting 333,333 posts!

And the honour of 333,333rd post goes to:
Aguaman wrote:
Biscione wrote:The 'designs' (i.e. the red) on the car look like something a boy racer would stick on his Corsa :facepalm:

Pretty much or like how some 10 year old would design his car in a video game.

How mundane.

Quite so, indeed. :(
MCard LOLA
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Oh my God, tuens out our forum moderator is Alex Wurz covering himself as kostas/stramala/biscione

That'a a news! :badoer:
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Bobby Doorknobs

"Total members 1049"

I believe now is a good time to abandon ship...
#FreeGonzo
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Simtek wrote:"Total members 1049"

I believe now is a good time to abandon ship...

Don't worry, what's the Wurz that could happen?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Over the past year or two, I have noticed that my average "posts per day" (an average from the day I joined) has fallen from well over 5/day to currently being 4.40/day. However, I have just realised that, rather than being a few thousand posts behind Wizzie as "person with most posts", I am now only around 300 behind. Wasn't my intention, but...

Fits in with my recent theory that there seem to be much less posting generally on this forum over recent months. Or is my perception warped?
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Well, we seem to have more calmer periods. However i don't think that the forum gets read significantly less.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I have kinda drifted away, still enjoy reading the site and forum, but I just can't think of anything creative or interesting to post. Maybe I just procrastinate too much.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Bobby Doorknobs

It's the chatroom really. It's taken over the role of the forum for a lot of people; you'll notice that some members who don't post as much here are quite active in the chatroom.

As for me, I've just not really been bothered with the forum very much for a number of reasons.
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It's a shame, because I feel like I miss out on a lot of chat and banter now that people post on the IRC more often. Half of the time there is nobody else there when I log in, and when it is busy it is primarily taken up by people talking about fifth forum stuff. As someone who has no interest in that forum, the IRC chat can feel like a waste of time for me a lot of the time.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Rob Dylan wrote:It's a shame, because I feel like I miss out on a lot of chat and banter now that people post on the IRC more often. Half of the time there is nobody else there when I log in, and when it is busy it is primarily taken up by people talking about fifth forum stuff. As someone who has no interest in that forum, the IRC chat can feel like a waste of time for me a lot of the time.

...and as someone who's losing interest in it, I just want somewhere to discuss normal things. Like Bake-Off.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Ataxia wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:It's a shame, because I feel like I miss out on a lot of chat and banter now that people post on the IRC more often. Half of the time there is nobody else there when I log in, and when it is busy it is primarily taken up by people talking about fifth forum stuff. As someone who has no interest in that forum, the IRC chat can feel like a waste of time for me a lot of the time.

...and as someone who's losing interest in it, I just want somewhere to discuss normal things. Like Bake-Off.

Interest in that lowermost of the forum seems to be declining in general, at least for the time being, and the IRC has accordingly moved towards discussion of general aspects of F1, a significant amount of talk regarding other motorsport and general moaning and complaining about our lot in life. It's really not as mysterious and nefarious as it's cracked up to be.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

dr-baker wrote:Over the past year or two, I have noticed that my average "posts per day" (an average from the day I joined) has fallen from well over 5/day to currently being 4.40/day. However, I have just realised that, rather than being a few thousand posts behind Wizzie as "person with most posts", I am now only around 300 behind. Wasn't my intention, but...

Fits in with my recent theory that there seem to be much less posting generally on this forum over recent months. Or is my perception warped?

I think the forum is definitely quieter then it used to be, Maybe more people are using the chat then the threads. We did seem to loose a few people when the site changed over. It just seems that their are less of us maybe.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

peteroli34 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Over the past year or two, I have noticed that my average "posts per day" (an average from the day I joined) has fallen from well over 5/day to currently being 4.40/day. However, I have just realised that, rather than being a few thousand posts behind Wizzie as "person with most posts", I am now only around 300 behind. Wasn't my intention, but...

I think the forum is definitely quieter then it used to be, Maybe more people are using the chat then the threads. We did seem to loose a few people when the site changed over. It just seems that their are less of us maybe.

Changing to a different site with a different layout and less profile-oriented content definitely left us with fewer members and less of an established presence. We're trying to pick up some new audiences, but the simple fact is a lot of us have studies and/or jobs taking up a considerable amount of time.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?