F1Rejects IRC channel

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: F1Rejects IRC channel

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Obviously all the "Mibbit pls" and "Goddammit Mibbit" comments every time y'all get disconnected have pushed it just that little bit too far. :deletraz:
#FreeGonzo
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

And I thought it was on my end. Phew!

Perhaps if it doesn't get fixed soon then we might consider moving to e.g. a Discord channel or something?
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Yeah, I also had that a few days ago. Only took an hour for me to regain access, though.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I can get back online now.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I would like to bring back the discussion of a topic: considering that even GPM2 World now has a Discord server, I think that - for all the joy and happiness that has come from the chatroom - it's time to get modern around here.

I think we should setup a Discord server to replace the chatroom in a midterm range. Not just this: I think that this should be the start of a process that we try to revitalize the forum. While content was definetelly short, we need to get new blood in: the "old guard" now has less free time, and while forums aren't that popular anymore (cough, reddit, cough) I think we can still attract new people to the website based on discussion of our love - motorsports.

I thik we should all discuss what we change in the forum layout as well - while I do love the reject theme around here, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea if we switched around the actual forum layout into "better" names and if placed around something with current active topics of discussion.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Miguel98 wrote:I thik we should all discuss what we change in the forum layout as well - while I do love the reject theme around here, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea if we switched around the actual forum layout into "better" names and if placed around something with current active topics of discussion.

I don't use chat rooms for anything anywhere so I will stay away from that topic. But I disagree about moving away from a reject theme. It's the ethos of the place, and probably our USP (unique selling point).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

As far as a Discord is concerned, it is a good idea, but it only makes sense if we can lure a number of people over there. There's little point in opening something new if still only three or four losers hang out there at the best of times.

And we've had the discussion about luring new people here all the goddamn time, but nothing has ever come of it. New articles appear nowhere near frequently enough, Biscione's pipe dreams seem to be just that. It'd take an aggressive marketing plan and someone willing to execute it. I do like the idea of modifying the subforums, currently there is nowhere near enough activity to justify separating the Jean-Denis Deletraz Memorial Forum and the Jean-Denis Deletraz Memorial Forum. With the canon also being dead, there is little need for the PMMF to be divided into four subforums either.

Baker is right on sticking with a reject theme, if we remove that we move from a unique dying forum to a bland dying forum. Maybe rename some places to more "modern" rejects like SeaBass, Alguersuari etc. is an option worth considering.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Klon wrote:As far as a Discord is concerned, it is a good idea, but it only makes sense if we can lure a number of people over there. There's little point in opening something new if still only three or four losers hang out there at the best of times.

And we've had the discussion about luring new people here all the goddamn time, but nothing has ever come of it. New articles appear nowhere near frequently enough, Biscione's pipe dreams seem to be just that. It'd take an aggressive marketing plan and someone willing to execute it. I do like the idea of modifying the subforums, currently there is nowhere near enough activity to justify separating the Jean-Denis Deletraz Memorial Forum and the Jean-Denis Deletraz Memorial Forum. With the canon also being dead, there is little need for the PMMF to be divided into four subforums either.

Baker is right on sticking with a reject theme, if we remove that we move from a unique dying forum to a bland dying forum. Maybe rename some places to more "modern" rejects like SeaBass, Alguersuari etc. is an option worth considering.

I assume you didn't mean to say Deletraz twice? :D
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I'll throw my support in there for a Discord server too. I've found myself going on the IRC less and less recently, chiefly because it's the only chat I regularly visit that uses it anymore, everything else is on Messenger or Discord. I prefer it for several reasons. It's easier to attract new people to it because it's A New Thing, while IRC makes it look like we haven't changed in 10 years. On top of this, you can see who's a member even when they're not online, which avoids the effect of joining in the middle of the day, seeing you're the only one there and assuming it's a deserted place no one visits anymore. Plus, you can see past messages so you don't really miss out on what happened if you log on mid-convo. I've been in a community that switched from IRC to Discord for chat purposes and if anything, the Discord is far more active than the IRC was.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

I'm in for the Discord thing. I may be biased because I use this service very frequently, however the best thing about that in my opinion is that you can make several specialized channels for the server so it doesn't mash up with other chat (for example Alternate F1 race commentary could justify a new channel).

I do think a Discord server can bring new people in, but I guess time will tell. And yes, in my subjective opinion the reject theme should stay because this is in what lies the uniqueness of Grand Prix Rejects.

P.S. You can also make customized emotes for a Discord server. It makes stuff a lot better imo ;)
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Gertrand Bachot

Post by Gertrand Bachot »

And it's up. Anyone and everyone is welcome.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Gertrand Bachot wrote:And it's up. Anyone and everyone is welcome.

To further complement this: we're running a trial to see if the move to Discord will be of good fortune or not, essentially. Everyone is free to join to discuss motorsport/music/general life and topics. Over this next week, we're going to add more stuff to the channel as hopefully more people show up for discussion regarding to future mid-term plans to attract some sort of new blood to the forum.

So, yeah, feel free to join of course! It's for everyone! <3
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Seriously, thank you for this. This is the best decision the forum has made in quite a while.

One thing I'm looking forward to is that fact that we can save discussions and convos that happened during a race. Like the famous 2014 Monaco chat pastebin, we no longer have to go to weird lengths just to have some good memories on here.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:. Like the famous 2014 Monaco chat pastebin, we no longer have to go to weird lengths just to have some good memories on here.

Care to elaborate? I have no idea of what it is to which you refer.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

There are just many experiences I remember sharing on the IRC channel, but because you can't save it, or see what was typed before you arrived, lots of those jokes and memories have vanished. Discord keeps the messages up before you arrive and you can catch and save anything that folks type, which I think is much nicer.

And I'm sure someone can show you the IRC when the 2014 Monaco Grand Prix was going on. People were going a little.... crazy. :D
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Also Nuppiz, you should change the title and first post of this topic to include Discord chat :)
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dr-baker wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:. Like the famous 2014 Monaco chat pastebin, we no longer have to go to weird lengths just to have some good memories on here.

Care to elaborate? I have no idea of what it is to which you refer.

This is what he's on about. Contains a lot of strong language and... how should I put this... language that's hard to understand if you're not used to the idiosyncrasies of that weird place.

CaptainGetz12 wrote:Also Nuppiz, you should change the title and first post of this topic to include Discord chat :)

I think we're waiting for Miguel to sort out the rules and stuff before "officially" launching this thing.

...and yes, I'm Bobby Doorknobs.
#FreeGonzo