The F1 Rejects Field Trip Thread

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
DemocalypseNow

The F1 Rejects Field Trip Thread

Post by DemocalypseNow »

As the F1 Rejects Forum edges ever closer to 4 years old, I'm surprised that not once there has been an on-location F1 Rejects...um, well I can't imagine it ending up as anything else than a total clusterf***.

Regardless, I do wonder if anyone else is interesting in participating in such madness? I think it's about time the racing world had the F1 Rejects spirit forced upon it, whether they like it or not. We could always travel under the alias of the Zsolt Baumgartner Fan Club, pretending we all think it's 2004 and cheering like crazy every time an STR drives past. Or perhaps start a new cult where everyone wears grey bike helmets and carries a fire extinguisher with them at all times. Just generally confuse the hell out of anyone and everyone.

I would put forward the suggestions of Monza and Spa-Francorchamps, as they are both located pretty centrally in Europe and are not overpriced to f*** like Silverstone. Possibly also Budapest which seems to have reasonably priced tickets. Also because the bars are so much cheaper than here :D

So, what does everybody think? Ready to spread the word of HWNSNBM first-hand across Europe? :)
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: The F1 Rejects Field Trip Thread

Post by Ataxia »

I would love this to happen...unfortunately, I am at the mercy of Student Finance and thus wouldn't have that kind of money.

Unless I find a job or something. :)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:I would love this to happen...unfortunately, I am at the mercy of Student Finance and thus wouldn't have that kind of money.

Unless I find a job or something. :)

Megabus to Brussels is £9 each way, and you can hitchike the rest of the way to Spa! :mrgreen:

Image Image
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Depends on a lot of things. I need to have the time and the money. Either way, if we're going to meet up, we''ll be on a camping, drinking, barbequing and occasionally watch a race.
There's plenty of opportunities (both camping and drinking ) in the Ardennes, despite it being in the middle of nowhere, there's lots of tourism (adventure and food mainly) to make it a fun family trip, and not overly expensive, either. Unless if you want great luxury, in that case, bathplug off.
I wouldn't mind picking up some people from nearby airports, if i have the time. Obviously, i don't own a bus, so i can't perform miracles.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

P.S. I just realised I picked a bad forum for this thread, can someone perhaps move it to EvdP where it's more relevant and going to get more views!

Image Image
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

It's almost happened a few times, last time when the young drivers' test was at Silverstone but none of us made it in the end.

Perhaps a better idea would be something like a WEC race which will be cheaper by a factor of about 5, and still feature masses of former F1 drivers and rejects and be a great spectacle too?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

AndreaModa wrote:It's almost happened a few times, last time when the young drivers' test was at Silverstone but none of us made it in the end.

Perhaps a better idea would be something like a WEC race which will be cheaper by a factor of about 5, and still feature masses of former F1 drivers and rejects and be a great spectacle too?

Or the historic races at spa, you get a whole weekend of old reject cars, old epic cars + an endurance race with something like 200 cars. It's not expensive at all, there's not a lot of people, but those who are there, share the same interests.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

This wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:It's almost happened a few times, last time when the young drivers' test was at Silverstone but none of us made it in the end.

Or the historic races at spa, you get a whole weekend of old reject cars, old epic cars + an endurance race with something like 200 cars. It's not expensive at all, there's not a lot of people, but those who are there, share the same interests.

Both of these ideas sound good...I like the reject appeal of a WEC race, but all the historical cars at Spa would also be very interesting indeed.

Goodwood Festival of Speed was an idea I had, but a) the cheapest ticket is £25 (on a Thursday) and b) it's a pain in the ass for non-UKists.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'm all up for something. But again, being a student, I have to think about costs, but don't count me out yet.

Spa sounds good, but a WEC race or something might also be considered.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I'm definitely up for a meet-up as well. There are a few good reasonably-priced international races planned for 2013 in the UK that we could consider:

FIA WEC in April, with European F3 (Silverstone)
DTM in May, with European F3 (Brands Hatch)
Blancpain Endurance Series in June (Silverstone)
International GT Open in July, with European F3 Open (Silverstone)
Auto GP in September (Donington)

Plus all of the British championships.
Last edited by Faustus on 02 Jan 2013, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Can't you guys come and see a race in somewhere in Spain? It's probably sunnier! ;)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:Can't you guys come and see a race in somewhere in Spain? It's probably sunnier! ;)

They have motor racing in Spain? :?

24 Heures du Mans would be cool too, but to a decent place for it you need to book in like...July, 11 months before the race :shock:

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

kostas22 wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Can't you guys come and see a race in somewhere in Spain? It's probably sunnier! ;)

They have motor racing in Spain? :?

24 Heures du Mans would be cool too, but to a decent place for it you need to book in like...July, 11 months before the race :shock:

You need to book that early? I always thought that you could find a nice space to camp. It's because that would be also my choice and because it would be rejects aplenty methinks. 24 hours of full on party and motor racing. What could be better?
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

If it's not too far from where I am (preferably Spa, though France and Germany might be OK), relatively cheap and not too badly timed, I may be able to do it :)

And I can confirm that the Spa 6 Hours is a good occasion if the weather's OK. Plenty of reject cars, garage access and only costs around 25 euros.

The other 6 Hour race, the one that counts for the WEC, is also 25 euros.

The Blancpain 24 Hour race is relatively cheap as well: 55 euros for a 4-day pass with pit access and 150 euros for a 5-day camping spot at Pouhon.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:I'm definitely up for a meet-up as well. There are a few good reasonably-priced international races planned for 2013 that we could consider:

I would definitely be up for the DTM at Brands...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I'd rather avoid England. For reasons I really can't fathom, its cheaper for me to travel to mainland Europe than it is the south of England. It's a joke, but its a by-product of trains being so ridiculously overpriced, to the point that air fares within the UK can also be jacked up. Also, I don't own a car, cause, you know, petrol prices are so darn expensive...

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

kostas22 wrote:I'd rather avoid England. For reasons I really can't fathom, its cheaper for me to travel to mainland Europe than it is the south of England. It's a joke, but its a by-product of trains being so ridiculously overpriced, to the point that air fares within the UK can also be jacked up. Also, I don't own a car, cause, you know, petrol prices are so darn expensive...

Not to mention car insurance costs.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

redbulljack14 wrote:
kostas22 wrote:I'd rather avoid England. For reasons I really can't fathom, its cheaper for me to travel to mainland Europe than it is the south of England. It's a joke, but its a by-product of trains being so ridiculously overpriced, to the point that air fares within the UK can also be jacked up. Also, I don't own a car, cause, you know, petrol prices are so darn expensive...

Not to mention car insurance costs.

And car tax. And if you're in London, congestion charge. Cars are a minefield of taxation, resource-drainage and bureaucracy. It's a shame one can't teleport...
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

tommykl wrote:If it's not too far from where I am (preferably Spa, though France and Germany might be OK), relatively cheap and not too badly timed, I may be able to do it :)

And I can confirm that the Spa 6 Hours is a good occasion if the weather's OK. Plenty of reject cars, garage access and only costs around 25 euros.

The Blancpain 24 Hour race is relatively cheap as well: 55 euros for a 4-day pass with pit access and 150 euros for a 5-day camping spot at Pouhon.

The Pouhon camping is filled up very fast, though especially for the 24hours. But there are enough possibilities for campings, chalets, motels etc in nearby villages. I'm not familiar with how the TEC bus services are. Or your mom could bring us ;) is 150 per spot or per person?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:
tommykl wrote:If it's not too far from where I am (preferably Spa, though France and Germany might be OK), relatively cheap and not too badly timed, I may be able to do it :)

The Pouhon camping is filled up very fast, though especially for the 24hours. But there are enough possibilities for campings, chalets, motels etc in nearby villages. I'm not familiar with how the TEC bus services are. Or your mom could bring us ;) is 150 per spot or per person?

I don't know, it just said 150 euros...

For the TEC, the 395 bus goes from Verviers to Reuland and passes right next to the circuit. As for my mum, it still takes around half an hour to get there from where I live, and there's only three places left in the car if you take out me and her... ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

This sounds like a brilliant idea. Just don't make it the first half of August, and I'll count myself interested.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
thechicanef1

Post by thechicanef1 »

I'm ruled out. I don't live in either Australia or Europe. :( :evil:
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Sadly, it's unlikely I'll travel to one of those places in the near future. I'll be at Jerez for the pre-season tests, though :D
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

BTCC at thruxton is always good and you can go round the paddock for free on the Saturday
Like silverstone it is a fast airfield circuit and last year it was very moist and cold when I went with my dad and my mate and I forgot my gloves which meant I couldn't open a packet of crisps that well
Last edited by roblo97 on 01 Jan 2013, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Phoenix wrote:Sadly, it's unlikely I'll travel to one of those places in the near future. I'll be at Jerez for the pre-season tests, though :D

You need to tell me when do you plan to go, then. It's just 100 km from where I live.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Merda. Actually, I was thinking about going to Jerez tests if I could find cheap transportation, as I know someone who maybe had paddock access for the Jerez test, but, I just realised I have to be in the UK and move flats again on the first day of testing.

Image Image
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:
Faustus wrote:I'm definitely up for a meet-up as well. There are a few good reasonably-priced international races planned for 2013 that we could consider:

Cool! I'm definitely there. We'll talk more about it nearer to the time and see if we can sort something out.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

tommykl wrote:The Blancpain 24 Hour race is relatively cheap as well: 55 euros for a 4-day pass with pit access and 150 euros for a 5-day camping spot at Pouhon.

I am very likely to go to the Spa 24 Hours. It's a great race, very spectator-friendly and the time of year is good for me (27th and 28th of July). There is a chance that I might be working for a team at the race, but if not, I will probably go anyway with some friends. Either way, I'll let you know nearer to the time and we'll see if we can arrange something.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

What about the BTCC at thruxton in Hampshire because its cheap and on Friday and Saturday, paddock access is free
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Faustus wrote:I am very likely to go to the Spa 24 Hours. It's a great race, very spectator-friendly and the time of year is good for me (27th and 28th of July).

Woohoo! A potential birthday treat!

On the other hand, perkele: it doesn't clash with the Brutal Assault festival (7th-10th August), but I hope to have secured a job I like by then, and with two days' travel at either end (at least) I doubt I'd get more time off than these few days...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Ferrim wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Sadly, it's unlikely I'll travel to one of those places in the near future. I'll be at Jerez for the pre-season tests, though :D

You need to tell me when do you plan to go, then. It's just 100 km from where I live.

Actually, I'm still discussing the details, since it will be a meeting with the peers of the webpage I've been collaborating in for 2 months now (7thGearF1). I'll keep you informed ;)
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Faustus wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Cool! I'm definitely there. We'll talk more about it nearer to the time and see if we can sort something out.

DTM at Brands sounds good. I've got my own van so transport to the track is ok. Plus I live in Kent anyway. I don't know a lot about DTM but the cars always look great so that's enough for me. Pencil me in.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Could be worth pointing out that tickets to Formula Renault 3.5 races are free, and come with a couple of support races (usually a round of a Formula Renault 2.0 series and a Renault Clio race). Disappointingly though, there are no rounds being held in the UK next year. :(
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Backmarker wrote:Could be worth pointing out that tickets to Formula Renault 3.5 races are free, and come with a couple of support races (usually a round of a Formula Renault 2.0 series and a Renault Clio race). Disappointingly though, there are no rounds being held in the UK next year. :(

You mean this year?! Yeah, I'm disappointed about that too. Although in 2012, the tickets at Silverstone weren't free as they were at the same event as (I think) the WEC Autosport 6 Hours race.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
Backmarker wrote:Could be worth pointing out that tickets to Formula Renault 3.5 races are free, and come with a couple of support races (usually a round of a Formula Renault 2.0 series and a Renault Clio race). Disappointingly though, there are no rounds being held in the UK next year. :(

You mean this year?! Yeah, I'm disappointed about that too. Although in 2012, the tickets at Silverstone weren't free as they were at the same event as (I think) the WEC Autosport 6 Hours race.

You may or may not be right there, I can't actually remember whether it was them on the bill or not! :oops:

Still, it was only £15 for the whole day, plenty of racing and full access to the pitlane prior to the 6 hour race.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Turns out that I am definitely going to the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year, after being away since 2003. I'm only going at the weekend, so Saturday the 13th and Sunday the 14th. £57 per day. Undoubtedly not the cheapest day out, but I'm going with my father who is coming from Portugal especially for it and I haven't been to a motorsport event with my father for almost 20 years.
Last edited by Faustus on 23 Jan 2013, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I am thinking of asking my dad to go to the spa 24 hours with me if my GCSE'S clash with my parents timeshare in Malta.
Burg cup seams like fun as well :D
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Joey Zyla wrote:FEED YOUR CAVALRY

But they're not hungry!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
Joey Zyla wrote:FEED YOUR CAVALRY

But they're not hungry!

I also wasn't aware I had any...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.