The F1 Rejects Field Trip Thread

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
dinizintheoven

Re: The F1 Rejects Field Trip Thread

Post by dinizintheoven »

Again, sounds like a good plan.

I must remember to check the HWNSNBM forum more, so I don't miss threads like these...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dinizintheoven wrote:Again, sounds like a good plan.

I must remember to check the HWNSNBM forum more, so I don't miss threads like these...

Just use the 'view your posts' thing Jim.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

My plan at the moment is for sometime in early February. Most of January is going to be a pig of a month for me with work and my mother is coming to visit in the last weekend of January, so I can't make it before.
By then I'll be allowed to drive again and I'll have a car at my disposal, so I'm definitely up for it. Really want to see the land speed record cars even though I saw them at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2013.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

OK, so it seems from the Formula E thread a couple of months ago that the London FE round seems promising for an F1 Rejects meet-up. I'm sure we can discuss and arrange that nearer the time, around the time that tickets go on sale.

But in the meantime, is anybody interested/free to go to the BTCC media day on 24th March? And is anybody planning to go to the FR3.5 round at Silverstone in late August?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I have a day's holiday still to use up before the end of March and if I can't carry it over I might the BTCC day. I'll have to see how I feel nearer the time though because its a trek up there.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I don't think I'll be making any of these race weekends, but I'm definitely going to the E Prix in London. Does anyone know when ticket sales start?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:I don't think I'll be making any of these race weekends, but I'm definitely going to the E Prix in London. Does anyone know when ticket sales start?

No idea, but looking at when the tickets for the other rounds went on sale, I would say up to a couple of months prior to the race.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I don't know whether this belongs here or in the Formula E thread, but there is news on tickets for the London races. Tickets will go on sale from 1st May, but will only be available for those who sign up to the newsletter for the first three days. Info here. Prices will range from £20 to £200. I suggest that, to arrange the much-discussed field trip, we arrange it here in the field trip thread.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I am definitely in, although I'm looking to pay £50 max for the privilege.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

All going well I'll be there, can't go too far wrong with Ryanair and a hostel/airbnb :)
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I hope to go too, but it does depend on the price. I knew we wouldn't be getting it for free unlike some of Europe, but on the other hand I don't want to pay F1 prices if that's what it comes to.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:I hope to go too, but it does depend on the price. I knew we wouldn't be getting it for free unlike some of Europe, but on the other hand I don't want to pay F1 prices if that's what it comes to.

Prices start from £20. I'll post more details of prices and what they get you on Friday, when they go on sale (to those who sign up to a newsletter - more widely available from Monday).
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I plan on picking up the cheaper tickets and spend the weekend in England from Friday to Monday.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I'm going to consult my brother about this. Our birthday (we share a birthday, how weird is that?) is a few days before the ePrix, so it would be a good present for us to see this historic race.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:I'm going to consult my brother about this. Our birthday (we share a birthday, how weird is that?) is a few days before the ePrix, so it would be a good present for us to see this historic race.

My sister and I were supposed to have the same birthday (born 2 years apart) but she was born 9 weeks early, so that didn't happen.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Simtek wrote:I'm going to consult my brother about this. Our birthday (we share a birthday, how weird is that?)

It's not weird if we're talking about twins. :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Salamander wrote:
Simtek wrote:I'm going to consult my brother about this. Our birthday (we share a birthday, how weird is that?)

It's not weird if we're talking about twins. :P

Touché.

How about born on the same day 11 years apart? ;)
#FreeGonzo
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I know of a couple of brothers who are less than a year apart. Talk about keen.

Anyway, I suggest that all those getting tickets keep up to date here as to the sort of tickets they intend to get. Would be good to watch the race together if we can.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Info now available at Ticket Master website: http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/2015-fia- ... orcatid=25

Where are people planning to sit/spectate? Where do people suggest? I'm thinking one of sections 6, 7, or zone C. Also still considering a podcast once we have got to know each other a little bit at the event. Also planning going both days.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I have no idea where to go or which day to plump for (I don't think I'll do both) or even which type of tickets to go for!

I'll also need to check with a friend to see if he wants to go with me.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I'm definitely in on this, sections 6 & 7 look good to me as its near the E Village (whatever goes on there) and it would avoid the faff of having to cross the track to get to the E Village. Happy to book on behalf of people if necessary.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I got my ticket for both races, Zone C :D

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Zone A for me, I only bothered with Saturday...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I decided to pass, I'm afraid. I didn't think that all the tickets would be standing and don't really want to spend even £35 for that when that can get you a whole day of BTCC and a seat. Sorry guys.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Barbazza wrote:I decided to pass, I'm afraid. I didn't think that all the tickets would be standing and don't really want to spend even £35 for that when that can get you a whole day of BTCC and a seat. Sorry guys.

Booooooooo.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

OK, so with the London ePrix now rapidly approaching, I think a Forum meet-up needs some proper arranging. A link to a currently provisional timetable can be found here.

So to give an idea of what's possible, please fill in the info below and we (I?) can start arranging this meet-up:

-Which day(s) are you attending: Sat/Sun/both
-Which area is your ticket for: Zone A/B/C/number
-At what point in the day would you like the meet to happen (based on timetable) (post-race/at end of day is also an option)
-Would you like a community-based podcast to be recorded as part of this event or not: Yes/no

I suggest we keep all plans for this field trip/meet-up to this thread for the ease of keeping everything to one place. Thank you, and I hope to meet some of you soon!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

-Which day(s) are you attending: Sat/Sun/both
-Which area is your ticket for: Zone A (Sat)/B (Sun)/C/number
-At what point in the day would you like the meet to happen (based on timetable) (post-race/at end of day is also an option): either 11-12 or 1-2 pm or after 5 pm
-Would you like a community-based podcast to be recorded as part of this event or not: Yes/no

Sorry for double-post, but I thought I would make my intentions clear, and less confusing if I separated my responses from the template.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Both/C/Eh/Sure

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

AAAARGH! WHY IS THIS SITE SO OBSTRUCTIVE?

Many, many times I've heard a wall of complaints from all my pals on the other side of the Atlantic about Ticketmaster's absolute domination of the ticket sales market, hence I've tried to avoid them whenever possible. Now, when I'm forced to use them, it just tells me the site can't complete my request without giving a single reason why.

AAAARGH!

----------------------------------------------------------

Ten minutes of jumping through hoops later... there were very few tickets left, so it seems - good news for the event and for Formula E itself, though it's cost me twice as much as I was originally expecting to be there. What I had to do was use the "Best available seats" ("seats" hur hur hur) to book in section 17, start again, add one for section 24, take out the one for section 17, then put that through. Now I face a nervous wait to see if I'm actually going to be emailed the ticket or whether Ticketmaster will tell me to get knotted because I put the optional extra line in my address that may or may not be on my credit card statement that I don't get sent to me by snail mail any more. Except that they won't actually tell me to get knotted, they'll just cancel the order without any indication they've done so.

But if, I repeat, if it is all successful, I'll be there on the Saturday on platform 24, lording it over all you plebs who are down below in zone C. Actually, I would have joined you all there, except it was already full (as were A and B) and the platform wasn't.

Any reject-forum meetup I'll do pretty much any time that day, though I reckon it'd be a far better idea to do so after the race so there's time for a few fine ales... and that is if I can find somewhere to stay that night that won't break the bank.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Well, I wish you good luck with your endeavours, Mr Dinizintheoven!
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I do at least have a printed page that says "This is a ticket, don't lose it or copy it" now...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:I do at least have a printed page that says "This is a ticket, don't lose it or copy it" now...

Brilliant! So I am guessing there are enough of us to start doing a field trip/meet-up? Anybody know of any good pubs in the area?
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I have consulted the weighty tome that is the Good Beer Guide 2015, and it says:

The Eagle Ale House, 104 Chatham Road, SW11 6HG
The Falcon, 2 St John's Hill, SW11 1RU
The Fox & Hounds, 66-68 Latchmere Road, SW11 2JU
The Lighthouse, 441 Battersea Park Road, SW11 4LR
Powder Keg Diplomacy, 147 St John's Hill, SW11 1TQ

The Eagle is at least some kind of F1 reference, and it was the local CAMRA branch's pub of the year in 2012. Of course, it might be full for most of the day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:I have consulted the weighty tome that is the Good Beer Guide 2015, and it says:

The Eagle Ale House, 104 Chatham Road, SW11 6HG
The Falcon, 2 St John's Hill, SW11 1RU
The Fox & Hounds, 66-68 Latchmere Road, SW11 2JU
The Lighthouse, 441 Battersea Park Road, SW11 4LR
Powder Keg Diplomacy, 147 St John's Hill, SW11 1TQ

The Eagle is at least some kind of F1 reference, and it was the local CAMRA branch's pub of the year in 2012. Of course, it might be full for most of the day...

Powder Keg Diplomacy also sounds like how Mr Ecclestone rules F1...
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I'm up for a beer afterwards in Saturday! Happy to be on a podcast too but I'm not the most confident on record.

And hi everybody, I've been quiet recently as I've been sorting out a house move and well as trying to arrange a wedding!

Happy to exchange phone number via DM.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So that's TommyKL, Watka, Dinizintheoven and me so far. I suggest 5 to 5:30 pm on the Saturday by gate 3. I will also message you guys to confirm plans. Any others wishing to join in, message me and I will include you.

Timetable here.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Looks like I'm going to have spare tickets, so let me know if you're interested (don't need to give me face value for one if cost is an issue for you)!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So the FE meet-up seemed to be a success (although I have yet to listen to the podcast I have almost finished downloading). What next?

How about meeting to listen to Murray Walker talking about Monaco at Beaulieu in early December? Info here. Thoughts?
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Now here's a better idea. Race of Champions field trip at the 2012 Olympic stadium! It's on Friday 20th and Saturday 21st November, and tickets for both days vary from £36 to £240.

Which option do people prefer? Or are both options a possibility?
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Might be up for Beaulieu but can't do the ROC!