Tony Shelly driver profile!

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Tony Shelly driver profile!

Post by eytl »

Hi everyone,

The next driver profile has now been uploaded! It's the story of Tony Shelly, the Wellingtonian car dealer's son who spent one season in Europe in 1962 and became only the second New Zealand driver to start a World Championship Grand Prix. Whilst all the other Kiwi drivers to have achieved that have some claim to fame, Shelly seems to be forgotten except in the record books, and that was something we simply had to correct.

http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/shelly/index.html

Hope you enjoy the read!

Cheers,
Enoch
wsrgo

Re: Tony Shelly driver profile!

Post by wsrgo »

eytl wrote:Hi everyone,

The next driver profile has now been uploaded! It's the story of Tony Shelly, the Wellingtonian car dealer's son who spent one season in Europe in 1962 and became only the second New Zealand driver to start a World Championship Grand Prix. Whilst all the other Kiwi drivers to have achieved that have some claim to fame, Shelly seems to be forgotten except in the record books, and that was something we simply had to correct.

http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/shelly/index.html

Hope you enjoy the read!

Cheers,
Enoch

Ben waiting for this for a long time, as I hadn't heard much of him. It has been worth the wait!! Thanks a lot!! Well done!!!
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

Quite interesting. I wonder if he had a better overseas career, it would last longer
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I find Mr. Shelly strikingly similar to Mark Webber. Or rather, vice versa. Any relation?

ImageImage
-*:-
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

For a second I thought that said Tony Stewart...
Trump 2016
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Jocke1 wrote:Image

Looks more like Rob Brydon to me, to be honest.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
mario

Post by mario »

Good work guys - it's an interesting read and a nice insight into the racing scene in Australia and New Zealand at the time (which, as you say, attracted a pretty high profile international attendance at times).
Wizzie wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:Image

Looks more like Rob Brydon to me, to be honest.

Now that you mention it, I can see the resemblance there (and it is actually more striking than I'd thought).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

darkapprentice77 wrote:For a second I thought that said Tony Stewart...

Tony Stewart here would only be tied into an A.J. Foyt profile thanks to the amount of influence Foyt had on Stewart's career. Of course, Foyt having a profile might be one of the more controversial F1 Rejects as he won the 1961 Indianapolis 500, the year after it lost it's World Championship status.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Thanks eytl for the Shelly profile. It's quite an interesting look into another era with all those non-championship F1 races in Britain.

Now might that be Alex Caffi in your new avatar picture?
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Yannick wrote:Now might that be Alex Caffi in your new avatar picture?

Actually, that's definitely Stefan Johansson. The front page announces an upcoming article on the complete dud that was the Footwork-Porsche :D
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
GMiranda

Post by GMiranda »

Wonderful profile!!!
leo76

Post by leo76 »

Come on Baker, we don't need you scaring people off. We're not like that on here.
leo76
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

leo76 wrote:Come on Baker, we don't need you scaring people off. We're not like that on here.

Yeah, you heard the spambot Baker, stop scaring people off. :P :lol:

What's even funnier is that I don't think the good Doctor has actually posted in this thread as of yet. :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

leo76 wrote:Come on Baker, we don't need you scaring people off. We're not like that on here.

You know you've got a reputation when even spambots are wary of you... :lol:

Seriously, why on earth do they target threads in this subforum only?
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Baker's law also applies to spambots.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

-*:-
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wow. If only I were able to scare the spambots away, eh? Then the world may be a nicer place. Although there would then be fewer references to this...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Enoch, it's great you want to write a profile on Patrick Friesacher next, the erstwhile Minardi driver who came 6th (and last) in the infamous 2005 USGP. I have got a few sound clips from the Austrian broadcast of the race in which Niki Lauda and Heinz Prüller (the Austrian version of Murray Walker) desperately try to fill the time with jeering at the lack of on-track action and at each other. There is an especially notable scene when Friesacher's fuel nozzle does not get on during his pitstop in which Heinz, with his incredible knowledge of events from motorsport history, reminds Niki of the first time when he was in the lead of an F1 race, and he also went for a pit stop and the fuel nozzle didn't get on, thanks to which he lost the race lead. From that point on in the broadcast, Niki teased Heinz whenever he could. At one point, he even asks "Heinz, have you just yawned?" after such a noise had been heard live on the air.

Enoch, if you want me to send you the sound clips, feel free to send me a private message.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Yannick wrote:Heinz Prüller (the Austrian version of Murray Walker)

I wish I could understand the language, Pruller der Bruller sounds like he was an epic commentator
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

This article would need rephrasing now.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:This article would need rephrasing now.

This post didn't need posting twice...
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

pasta_maldonado wrote:

This post didn't need posting twice...

...or even once, arguably.

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2, your enthusiasm for this forum is appreciated, but we'd also appreciate if you didn't revive old threads unless you have something that really needs to be said, or otherwise might be of particular interest to the community. I understand the delineation may be difficult to really make but, without trying to sound harsh, I'd ask you to put more thought into the value of what you post. This is an announcement thread for a driver profile that we don't even have the rights to republish. It's not exactly something that merits further contribution.
#FreeGonzo
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

My apologies and I don't know how I managed to post the same thing twice.