Editorial direction of GP Rejects

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
WaffleCat

Re: Editorial direction of GP Rejects

Post by WaffleCat »

Simtek wrote:
giraurd wrote:Another thing I was pondering about is creating a full list of Rejects, adding it onto the website AND trying to cough up at least a couple of paragraphs and tidbits about each of them (ie. not full profiles, but something interesting), preferably past what Wikipedia says. This would make the website serve an actual purpose (lets face it, now there's none) - serving as an information source for the less-known F1 drivers. It would be a big task, but not impossible - if people think it's a good idea, reckon at least I could be quite productive at that.

A full list of rejects does exist here, so the only thing left to do in that regard is to write those short paragraphs. For the sake of everyone's sanity I suggest that one person at the very most do one letter, all the As, for example. The whole list is asking too much for any one person, it would definitely need to be a collaborative effort.

I call letter X!

Yeah, but seriously, I won't mind helping out a little, and I hope everyone else does the same.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

giraurd wrote:
Imho the one thing that needs to regularly get updated on the main site is the Reject of the Race, since we're doing it on the forum anyway. If it's just about lack of people updating, then I'm sure we should find at least someone who could take the responsibility of posting our picks on the main site a few days after each race.

Not to forget about the podcasts.

Along with social media. To get more people you need to heavily utilize social media.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Aguaman wrote:
giraurd wrote:
Imho the one thing that needs to regularly get updated on the main site is the Reject of the Race, since we're doing it on the forum anyway. If it's just about lack of people updating, then I'm sure we should find at least someone who could take the responsibility of posting our picks on the main site a few days after each race.

Not to forget about the podcasts.

Along with social media. To get more people you need to heavily utilize social media

I don't think the problem is a 'lack of people', but 'a lack of things to show for those people'.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

giraurd wrote:Another thing I was pondering about is creating a full list of Rejects, adding it onto the website AND trying to cough up at least a couple of paragraphs and tidbits about each of them (ie. not full profiles, but something interesting), preferably past what Wikipedia says. This would make the website serve an actual purpose (lets face it, now there's none) - serving as an information source for the less-known F1 drivers. It would be a big task, but not impossible - if people think it's a good idea, reckon at least I could be quite productive at that.

Returning to this, Old Racing Cars has a complete list of every driver who raced in F1 (even the Indy 500 racers) and excellent short descriptions of them all.
#FreeGonzo
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Long story short, I've got a season preview for 2016 almost ready; after a final polish once pre-season testing is done, it'll be ready to read (I'm also sitting on a third of a Super Aguri article, just fyi). Because I have no idea what Biscione intends to do with publishing any written content, I was considering the possibility of a separate-but-linked blog using Wordpress for which pieces of interest can be posted whilst the direction of the main site is decided upon.

In doing so, as long as we draw attention to it on the forums and social media accounts, I hope it can build up a bit of a following.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ataxia wrote:Long story short, I've got a season preview for 2016 almost ready; after a final polish once pre-season testing is done, it'll be ready to read (I'm also sitting on a third of a Super Aguri article, just fyi). Because I have no idea what Biscione intends to do with publishing any written content, I was considering the possibility of a separate-but-linked blog using Wordpress for which pieces of interest can be posted whilst the direction of the main site is decided upon.

In doing so, as long as we draw attention to it on the forums and social media accounts, I hope it can build up a bit of a following.

Good idea, though it might well end up being the de facto gprejects.com site at this rate!

Any movement on getting the China 2015 ROTR off the homepage Biscione?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AndreaModa wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Long story short, I've got a season preview for 2016 almost ready; after a final polish once pre-season testing is done, it'll be ready to read (I'm also sitting on a third of a Super Aguri article, just fyi). Because I have no idea what Biscione intends to do with publishing any written content, I was considering the possibility of a separate-but-linked blog using Wordpress for which pieces of interest can be posted whilst the direction of the main site is decided upon.

Good idea, though it might well end up being the de facto gprejects.com site at this rate!

Any movement on getting the China 2015 ROTR off the homepage Biscione?

He's still waiting for the Chinese marshals to get it into the pits...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Good one Taxi :D

I'm planning, together with Londoner, write some race-by-race reviews. Hope everyone is fine with that!
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Front page of the site updated! :deletraz:
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

shinji wrote:Front page of the site updated! :deletraz:

Yes, I know the Chinese GP marshals are slow, but I didn't expect it would take ten moths to push Verstappen's car off our front page. :P
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

Also, This Day in Reject History will be posted on the site's Twitter and Facebook pages starting Sunday, now that the thread is about to come full circle.
#FreeGonzo
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

pi314159 wrote:

Yes, I know the Chinese GP marshals are slow, but I didn't expect it would take ten moths to push Verstappen's car off our front page. :P

We take meta to a whole new level.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

pi314159 wrote:I didn't expect it would take ten months to push Verstappen's car off our front page. :P

Exactly.

On the other hand, if it had been an HRT...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Biscione wrote:
pi314159 wrote:

We take meta to a whole new level.

Campos Meta?

In all seriousness, some of you may be aware of my intentions to post classic race reviews of a previous grand prix.

For example, with Australia i'm working on a 1995 review, as it was a memorable race with lots of reject moments.

DC's pitlane blunder
Moreno's spin at the same spot
Morbidelli podium
Pedro Lamy in the points
Forti and Pacific scoring their best ever results.

For other races aside from Europe (i'm dead set on 1999, any opportunity to cast Luca Badoer in a good light), i'm open to suggestions.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

WE HAVE NEW CONTENT AT LONG LAST! Ataxia's season preview has been published on the main page. :dance:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Great job all round guys. Particularly enjoyed Mario's article on Zakspeed-Yamaha. Was that originally published on the old site, because when I saw it initially it did ring a bell. Either way, great to have it up, along with the others.

What's up next? :D

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
girry

Post by girry »

Indeed, great one Ataxia - way better than any of "professional" journalists will cough up all year in my country, obviously.

@AndreaModa: I remember too reading the Mario article on Zakspeed engine earlier, so think it was published on the F1R site.
when you're dead people start listening
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AndreaModa wrote:Great job all round guys. Particularly enjoyed Mario's article on Zakspeed-Yamaha. Was that originally published on the old site, because when I saw it initially it did ring a bell. Either way, great to have it up, along with the others.

Yes, it was one of the last things to be put on F1R. We are slowly uploading old content that didn't belong to Jenoch, so some other little historical bits will start appearing.

As for future content, that doesn't look so bright! Aside from a little bonus thing in the next day or two, nothing else is lined up as of yet. :(

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AndreaModa wrote:Great job all round guys. Particularly enjoyed Mario's article on Zakspeed-Yamaha. Was that originally published on the old site, because when I saw it initially it did ring a bell. Either way, great to have it up, along with the others.

First of all, thanks for the kind words guys!

As for what's next, I've got a Super Aguri piece in the works at the moment, although that'll take a few weeks to finish and check over since it's quite lengthy already! After that, I'm sure I'll keep doing little bits and pieces as the year goes on (I might venture into GP2 and GP3 previews if there's interest for that, for example).

Of course, it'll be nice to see some other contributions; there's a few people with plans for content, but Biscione's not happy until he sees actual progress ;)
Bobby Doorknobs

The F1 95 review by TomPryce was also on the old site. Great to see we're slowly getting back on our feet!

I guess here is a good place to fill you all in on the progress of the Joe Kelly profile: It's finished! Or at least, just about. I just need to sort out the images, of which I have plenty. It's just a matter of deciding which ones to use, where to place them etc, which shouldn't take too long anyway. It's still not hugely long, but the word count is about twice as much as it was before and more importantly it contains information that you would probably struggle to find anywhere else ;)
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Me and Londoner can't present any progress until Sunday really :P
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Miguel98 wrote:Me and Londoner can't present any progress until Sunday really :P

Indeed.

I'm currently researching for my Sauber 2014 article, but that's still at least two months away from being written, thanks to dissertation. After that, I've got plans to do other rejectful F1 seasons for teams, perhaps Benetton 2001 or Jaguar 2000, or Honda 2007-2008. Actually,a full-blown article examining the Jaguar debacle would be pretty cool, but that'll take a long time to write.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

My Classic Australian GP review had been sent, and it's now just awaiting approval and any amendments that may need to be made.

I have an idea for China, but open to suggestions still. Most likely it'll be 2006.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

FullMetalJack wrote:My Classic Australian GP review had been sent, and it's now just awaiting approval and any amendments that may need to be made.

I have an idea for China, but open to suggestions still. Most likely it'll be 2006.

2010 was fairly rejectful, with Hamilton, Vettel and the Ferraris racing down the pitlane like total cockwombles, Button almost causing a pile-up at the restart, loads of cars pitting for the wrong tyres for the weather, Virgin having a howler of a race, and of course, Buemi's bizarre accident in free practice. It was also the race that proved Schumacher was past it.
Bobby Doorknobs

FullMetalJack wrote:My Classic Australian GP review had been sent, and it's now just awaiting approval and any amendments that may need to be made.

I managed to read through it. Great work, man. With a little bit of tidying up and some pictures it should be ready for the main page :)
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I take it you appreciated my paragraph towards the end about Simtek. I felt they deserved a mention.

Agree with you that a few images would be good, of Pacific and Forti obviously.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

We're going into the spoof news business!

There will be a subsection of the website called The Gravel Trap, dedicated to "news" articles taking a sideways look at the sport's topical issues.

In our first story off the presses, we cover the Driver of the Day public vote fiasco, which after attempting to clean up the system, ended with a surprising winner.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Love it! :dance:
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Now, where have my papayas gone?

Love the significance of the number of votes obtained by those in 2nd and 3rd places. ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

dr-baker wrote:Love the significance of the number of votes obtained by those in 2nd and 3rd places. ;)

I was wondering how long someone would take to get it :deletraz:

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Biscione wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Love the significance of the number of votes obtained by those in 2nd and 3rd places. ;)

I was wondering how long someone would take to get it :deletraz:

Considering how long I spent on that team's thread...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
girry

Post by girry »

I love the parodic touch. Great work.
when you're dead people start listening
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

The race review from Australia done by me and Londoner is up on the main page right now! :P

Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

I'm loving these new articles.
Keep up the good work!
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
Bobby Doorknobs

I might begin researching another profile soon, this one on Don Beauman, a mid-fifties reject who was killed in a racing accident only a few miles from where I live. His death produced something of a shock here in Ireland, possibly being the catalyst to the cessation of motor racing in Wicklow and at the Curragh, where there was another accident that killed a driver and a marshal.

That said, I do have a few things I need to get out of the way first before diving straight into the research, so we'll see.
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

Simtek wrote:I might begin researching another profile soon, this one on Don Beauman, a mid-fifties reject who was killed in a racing accident only a few miles from where I live. His death produced something of a shock here in Ireland, possibly being the catalyst to the cessation of motor racing in Wicklow and at the Curragh, where there was another accident that killed a driver and a marshal.

That said, I do have a few things I need to get out of the way first before diving straight into the research, so we'll see.

And I have in fact started now, so the chances of this actually getting done have considerably increased ;)
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

Just throwing out an idea here, so be prepared to shoot it down if necessary: What do people think of the possibility of doing obituaries for recently deceased rejects? I think it would be a nice thing to do and there are very few rejects whose deaths would likely be reported by major motorsport publications, so there could be something of a niche there.
#FreeGonzo
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Simtek wrote:Just throwing out an idea here, so be prepared to shoot it down if necessary: What do people think of the possibility of doing obituaries for recently deceased rejects? I think it would be a nice thing to do and there are very few rejects whose deaths would likely be reported by major motorsport publications, so there could be something of a niche there.

Yep I think that would be nice - that's what this website is all about, glory to those who deserve recognition but never got it.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Bobby Doorknobs

AustralianStig wrote:
Simtek wrote:Just throwing out an idea here, so be prepared to shoot it down if necessary: What do people think of the possibility of doing obituaries for recently deceased rejects? I think it would be a nice thing to do and there are very few rejects whose deaths would likely be reported by major motorsport publications, so there could be something of a niche there.

Yep I think that would be nice - that's what this website is all about, glory to those who deserve recognition but never got it.

On the subject of this, I'm considering turning this into an end-of-year retrospective, sort of like what Autocourse do in their annuals (or so I'm led to believe).

On another subject, I wouldn't mind doing reviews of rejectful car racing films, or hell, even the good ones like Le Mans. I always felt Jenoch were being very generous in their Driven review (and oddly not generous enough in their Talladega Nights review).

I also really need to get my arse into gear with the Seb Buemi profile. Three weeks on and I'm still only as far as his F3 career...

It would also be extremely awkward if he got the Renault drive for next year, as some rumours are suggesting...

And then there's the Don Beauman profile that's finished but unpublished for some reason...
#FreeGonzo