The "Do We Have Enough Money To Survive" Thread

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
DemocalypseNow

The "Do We Have Enough Money To Survive" Thread

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Yes.

A whole bunch of people have donated since January. There is a little over $30 in the hosting account meter at the moment (enough for 3 months), while our money statsh is a mixture of USD and GBP. Because of how strong sterling is to USD right now we got a good exchange rate.

That means as of today, GPR currently holds enough finance to run until November 30, 2016. Thank you to everyone who has donated so far.

My hope is in future to simply stop taking donations and pay the entire maintenance cost myself. Right now $150 a year is a fee I don't have the disposable income to reliably pay, but hopefully that changes and I won't have to rely on others to make up the difference.

I will periodically update this thread with news regarding our finances.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
DVST8R

Re: The "Do We Have Enough Money To Survive" Thread

Post by DVST8R »

And here I was thinking this was a thread about Manor... :facepalm:
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Biscione wrote:Yes.My hope is in future to simply stop taking donations and pay the entire maintenance cost myself.

Please don't pay for the costs all by yourself. That would not be fair. If the worst happens and in the unlikely event that no one contributes towards future costs, I will split the costs 50/50 with you.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

DVST8R wrote:And here I was thinking this was a thread about Manor... :facepalm:

That's what I thought when I first saw this thread. Granted, i'd be happy if the answer was yes to that too.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Update: We are ticking along nicely. Every so often someone donates a month's server costs at a time, and it's always different people that are doing so on each occasion, which is very nice, it was always the aim to have everyone together and spread the cost thinly between one another. We're currently all set until 12 January 2017 at the moment.

Image Image
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Unexpected expense

Due to events relating to FormulaRejects.com, said domain name has been renewed ahead of schedule, taking an extra £5.99 from our annual budget.

I wouldn't go as far to say this is a drop in the ocean, but does represent a 75% increase in costs this month.

In much worse news, HMRC has caught up to the fact we (as in, I) are a UK entity and are being charged VAT. So our monthly hosting costs are up 20% to $12 a month. Yes, the irony, our hosts are US based, and we pay in US currency, but we still get taxed by the British government. Go figure.

That means our projected cash reserves running out date is now 1 December 2016.

Another update will appear in due course.

Image Image
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Anyone have an update in regards to the site's financial situation? 2016 is nearing its end so our cash reserve is expected to run out soon according to Biscione :(

Also, where is the "donate" button? I can't seem to find it on the main website anymore...
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:Anyone have an update in regards to the site's financial situation? 2016 is nearing its end so our cash reserve is expected to run out soon according to Biscione :(

Also, where is the "donate" button? I can't seem to find it on the main website anymore...

I took it offline when I put up adverts. it didn't seem ethical to solicit donations from people when also raking in ad money.

Unfortunately I'm having some administrative issues retrieving revenue from Google, but once that is rectified, we will have five months worth of expenses covered.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just clicked on the ad for that Lego concrete block stuff. Fascinating (not sarcastic).
Just For One Day...
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

Now the financial year has started, what's with the nick change again? I'm still calling you Biscione....

On other notes, what is the present situation of our finances?
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

SuperAguri wrote:Now the financial year has started, what's with the nick change again? I'm still calling you Biscione....

On other notes, what is the present situation of our finances?

Our reserves are now empty and we are running at a loss in terms of costs vs income. This is literally thanks to Brexit - our providers are not UK based, the exchange rate has tanked and our costs are up 28.2% compared to this time last year despite our providers not raising rates.

We'll be getting 3 months worth of costs in ad revenue from Google at the end of the month once they release the funding (we just fell short of their minimum payout last month). The problem is this will be the first payout since October last year. I'm not flat broke anymore however, so I'm just paying whatever difference we have out of my own money now without any issue.

Image Image
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Just out of curiosity what is one month's worth of running costs? (Roughly?) $100?

I would donate again if the button came back up, for as much as I gripe on here I do love the place. One man should not fund the site alone, admirable as what you're doing is. I can almost promise I wouldn't be the only one.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Wallio wrote:Just out of curiosity what is one month's worth of running costs? (Roughly?) $100?

$26.67. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things. Plus my time - to cut costs, I manage the VPS myself, so if something breaks at the server level, I can't just call on the host to fix it - it's up to me! There have been times in the recent past that, thanks to the sharp right turn into the gig economy pervading employment in the D/E socioeconomic class, means there are many times I earn less than my monthly expenses. It's a pain in the ass!

Image Image
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

DemocalypseNow wrote:
Wallio wrote:Just out of curiosity what is one month's worth of running costs? (Roughly?) $100?

$26.67. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things. Plus my time - to cut costs, I manage the VPS myself, so if something breaks at the server level, I can't just call on the host to fix it - it's up to me! There have been times in the recent past that, thanks to the sharp right turn into the gig economy pervading employment in the D/E socioeconomic class, means there are many times I earn less than my monthly expenses. It's a pain in the ass!

Indeed, on paper that's not much, but you're time is worth something. Well next paycheck (10 days roughly), I'll kick in $30. Not much I know, but it will be one month you don't have to worry about anyway.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
BioBiro
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BioBiro »

DemocalypseNow wrote:Our reserves are now empty and we are running at a loss in terms of costs vs income.
If someone wanted to donate, how would they go about it?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

BioBiro wrote:
DemocalypseNow wrote:Our reserves are now empty and we are running at a loss in terms of costs vs income.

If someone wanted to donate, how would they go about it?

There is a PayPal donate page here - I don't like to promote it given we're running ads right now, seems a bit unethical to ask for donations whilst also shoving advertising in peoples faces.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Every time I visit the site I try to remember Crash Team Racing. Has there been any improvement?
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

CoopsII wrote:Every time I visit the site I try to remember Crash Team Racing. Has there been any improvement?

This month yes. You may have noticed some ad positions changing - simply changing the (more terminology, sorry) active view viewable helps, which in turn may increase CTR. Will take a while to know for sure.

Image Image
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

As promised, I threw in $30 today. Its hardly earthshattering, but at least we won't lose money this month. And my word, you were not kidding about the exchange rate. If I had had that when I visited the UK, I'd have stayed!

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Wallio wrote:As promised, I threw in $30 today. Its hardly earthshattering, but at least we won't lose money this month. And my word, you were not kidding about the exchange rate. If I had had that when I visited the UK, I'd have stayed!

When I visited the USA in early 2008, it was the other way round. $1.96 to a pound.

Now the boot is on the other Schumacher...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Wallio wrote:As promised, I threw in $30 today. Its hardly earthshattering, but at least we won't lose money this month. And my word, you were not kidding about the exchange rate. If I had had that when I visited the UK, I'd have stayed!

When I visited the USA in early 2008, it was the other way round. $1.96 to a pound.

Now the boot is on the other Schumacher...

When I was in the UK (circa 2004) it was something like $2.48 or so to the pound. I remember a store having a Ferrari team jacket for 250 pounds. I was going to buy it until I remember that it was basically $500!

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Thank you to everyone that donated! I mean really, the response was mega. In one day we received enough money to pay for seven months of running costs. Huzzah!

Except you, FMJ. You shall not be thanked. You know what you did. :pantano:

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

DemocalypseNow wrote:Thank you to everyone that donated! I mean really, the response was mega. In one day we received enough money to pay for seven months of running costs. Huzzah!

Except you, FMJ. You shall not be thanked. You know what you did. :pantano:

I'll donate properly next time, I promise.
I like the way Snrub thinks!