Social Media

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Aguaman

Social Media

Post by Aguaman »

I'm actually curious. This site could get major traction if the Twitter account did live tweeting during races. It would be funny and could work out really well.

Thoughts?
dr-baker

Re: Social Media

Post by dr-baker »

Aguaman wrote:I'm actually curious. This site could get major traction if the Twitter account did live tweeting during races. It would be funny and could work out really well.

Thoughts?

It relies on someone actually having the time and inclination to do so. Not everybody gets the chance to watch each and every race live.

It could work out well, but...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Well, we have a pretty active chat during the GPs, so I think somebody who's there regularly could give a good, reliable account, maybe.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Biscione operates the Twitter account as far as I know, I'm not sure if Nuppiz has access to it. On top of that, I don't think either of them is on the chatroom during the races.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

tommykl wrote:Biscione operates the Twitter account as far as I know, I'm not sure if Nuppiz has access to it. On top of that, I don't think either of them is on the chatroom during the races.

I know, I meant perhaps we could look at allowing a trusted forum member access to the account?
Everything's great.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Salamander wrote:
tommykl wrote:Biscione operates the Twitter account as far as I know, I'm not sure if Nuppiz has access to it. On top of that, I don't think either of them is on the chatroom during the races.

I know, I meant perhaps we could look at allowing a trusted forum member access to the account?

I'd be up for it if I were capable of jokes :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

More than happy to noodle about with the twitter account, currently looking for a new job that doesn't eat my Sundays so I *should* be able to do some live tweets or whatever is necessary.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Salamander wrote:

>implying there is a single trustworthy member of this forum :deletraz:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Rob Dylan wrote:
Salamander wrote:

>implying there is a single trustworthy member of this forum :deletraz:

#TopNotchBanter
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

dr-baker wrote:
Aguaman wrote:I'm actually curious. This site could get major traction if the Twitter account did live tweeting during races. It would be funny and could work out really well.

Thoughts?

It relies on someone actually having the time and inclination to do so. Not everybody gets the chance to watch each and every race live.

It's not like you have to actually tweet everything that goes on like Autosport. Just to do the fun stuff like incidents, driver radio that is shown and all that jazz.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Aguaman wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Thoughts?

It's not like you have to actually tweet everything that goes on like Autosport. Just to do the fun stuff like incidents, driver radio that is shown and all that jazz.

Most importantly of all though we need to be kept updated on the battle for 19th place, Marcus Ericsson's bid to finish ahead of Fernando Alonso in the championship, that sort of thing. Remember who we support ;)
#FreeGonzo
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Could work, but it would always have to stay 'banter' like for everyone's amusement and popularity.

For example, there's a football team called Hyde FC who currently play in the 7th tier of English football and because they have a very jokey twitter account, they have more followers than most Championship sides.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yeah, you definitely want a certain tone of voice and careful consideration of what to focus on.

Remember, there's tons of accounts out there already tweeting about current and past F1 goings on. Off the top of my head, there's @F1__1995, @WhenF1WasDifferent, @RetroRacingCo, @1990sF1, @monzasgorilla, etc, etc

And that's before you get into all of the self proclaimed journos regurgitating, retweeting, pontificating and just generally not doing anyone any favours. No point getting involved with all of that and trying to compete.

We want a clear focus, a reason for the account to exist and thus a reason why the average fan should be following us. When you think about live tweeting during a race, it makes up two hours of activity every two weeks. If you assume a 20 race calendar, then total live tweeting over a season is less than 0.5% of time in a year. You need to find something else to fill the other 99.5% of the time otherwise you'll effectively have a dormant account.

So maybe draw up a list of items that can be tweeted out. Off the top of my head, here's a few we could do:
- The "This Day in Reject History" posts
- ROTR and IIDOTR announcements
- Heavy content promotion (if/when any is ever published)
- Perhaps sharing of interesting forum discussions when they come up (F1 Fanatic does this occasionally).

Any more?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Adding the odd bit of backmarker trivia should really help, as far as I'm aware, we're really the only site that properly cares about such things.
Everything's great.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AdrianSutil wrote:Could work, but it would always have to stay 'banter' like for everyone's amusement and popularity.

For example, there's a football team called Hyde FC who currently play in the 7th tier of English football and because they have a very jokey twitter account, they have more followers than most Championship sides.

Wait, hold on, back up. There's a 7th Tier? That's like Joe's Diner rec league stuff right? Not even baseball has that many leagues.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Wallio wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:Could work, but it would always have to stay 'banter' like for everyone's amusement and popularity.

Wait, hold on, back up. There's a 7th Tier? That's like Joe's Diner rec league stuff right? Not even baseball has that many leagues.

There's more than 7! There's 23! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AndreaModa wrote:
Wallio wrote:

There's more than 7! There's 23! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system

I can't even begin to comprehend that. How in the hell do you guys keep track?

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

In terms of national coverage, you only get the top six tiers, and even then the vast majority is obviously reserved for the Premier League, with the Football League (tiers 2 to 4) next in line.

The rest are only covered regionally and locally, and even then, your local town newspaper might only cover down to say tier 12 or 13 depending on the number of clubs in the area.

The rest all just get on with it each season, playing on public playing fields, part time, little or no wages, most just for fun. It's a huge part of life for a hell of a lot of people in the country really. I think a lot of people, even in Britain, don't realise that.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

AndreaModa wrote:In terms of national coverage, you only get the top six tiers, and even then the vast majority is obviously reserved for the Premier League, with the Football League (tiers 2 to 4) next in line.

The rest are only covered regionally and locally, and even then, your local town newspaper might only cover down to say tier 12 or 13 depending on the number of clubs in the area.

The rest all just get on with it each season, playing on public playing fields, part time, little or no wages, most just for fun. It's a huge part of life for a hell of a lot of people in the country really. I think a lot of people, even in Britain, don't realise that.

The Non-League paper (a National, weekly edition) focuses quite heavily all the way down to tier 12. But they do sometimes put in the cup competition fixtures and results for lower tiers.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

AndreaModa wrote:Yeah, you definitely want a certain tone of voice and careful consideration of what to focus on.

Remember, there's tons of accounts out there already tweeting about current and past F1 goings on. Off the top of my head, there's @F1__1995, @WhenF1WasDifferent, @RetroRacingCo, @1990sF1, @monzasgorilla, etc, etc

And that's before you get into all of the self proclaimed journos regurgitating, retweeting, pontificating and just generally not doing anyone any favours. No point getting involved with all of that and trying to compete.

We want a clear focus, a reason for the account to exist and thus a reason why the average fan should be following us. When you think about live tweeting during a race, it makes up two hours of activity every two weeks. If you assume a 20 race calendar, then total live tweeting over a season is less than 0.5% of time in a year. You need to find something else to fill the other 99.5% of the time otherwise you'll effectively have a dormant account.

So maybe draw up a list of items that can be tweeted out. Off the top of my head, here's a few we could do:
- The "This Day in Reject History" posts
- ROTR and IIDOTR announcements
- Heavy content promotion (if/when any is ever published)
- Perhaps sharing of interesting forum discussions when they come up (F1 Fanatic does this occasionally).

Any more?

As previous posts had suggest a focus on
- Manor
- Sauber
- Lotus/Renault - Palmer and Maldonado

and any randomness that happens. Maybe a little tongue cheek bagging out of Brundle, Crofty, Herbert, Keith (F1 Fanatic) and maybe also give a little focus on the reject drivers in other series.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AndreaModa wrote:In terms of national coverage, you only get the top six tiers, and even then the vast majority is obviously reserved for the Premier League, with the Football League (tiers 2 to 4) next in line.

Interesting. Sounds a lot like baseball over here, just to a much much larger extreme. Now you guys have the whole promotion/relegation thing there (which I find pretty neat.) Could a club from say Tier 9 climb to the Premier League? At least in theory?

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Wallio wrote:

Interesting. Sounds a lot like baseball over here, just to a much much larger extreme. Now you guys have the whole promotion/relegation thing there (which I find pretty neat.) Could a club from say Tier 9 climb to the Premier League? At least in theory?

Yep. The theory goes that a team in tier 23 could theoretically go all the way to the Premier League. Granted, it would take bloody ages and require a complete overhaul of the club to meet infrastructure/organisational/financial standards, but the possibility is there.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

AndreaModa wrote:
Wallio wrote:

Yep. The theory goes that a team in tier 23 could theoretically go all the way to the Premier League. Granted, it would take bloody ages and require a complete overhaul of the club to meet infrastructure/organisational/financial standards, but the possibility is there.

The last two success stories would probably be AFC Wimbledon and Fleetwood Town. The former was founded in 2004 and rose from tier 9 to tier 4 by 2013 and the latter came from tier 8 (with the help of serious funding) to tier 3 within 6 years.

Sadly, the difference between tiers 1,2 and 3/4 are pretty huge. Like a hundred million pounds huge if you wanted to survive year on year.

Bournemouth have shown that it can be done with a little bit of luck and a talented, hungry team. Came from the bottom of tier 4 to the Premier League within 5 years (I think)
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Damn, I'm impressed. I wish we would do pro/reg over here. While it wouldn't work for football, since theres just one league, hockey, basketball, and especially baseball could pull it off. But the MLS won't even do it.....

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Wallio wrote:Damn, I'm impressed. I wish we would do pro/reg over here. While it wouldn't work for football, since theres just one league, hockey, basketball, and especially baseball could pull it off. But the MLS won't even do it.....

But players move from D-League to the NBA and vice versa. So yeah.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Well yea, and they do in the AHL-NHL, and from Short Season A, to Full A to AA to AAA to the MLB as well, not the same thing though.

The closest we had here was in the 1950s (IIRC) when the Cleveland Barons of the AHL challenged for the Stanley Cup and were (illegally) turned down.

Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Live Twitter could work quite well provided it stays towards what the sites about. While the Majority of people will be focusing on the fight for first our would be the battle of the Manors for 17th place. Likewise it may be good to know that Hamilton has lead his 200th lap this season. it would be more interesting for us to know that Marcus Ericsson has spent 350 laps in 14th.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

peteroli34 wrote:Live Twitter could work quite well provided it stays towards what the sites about. While the Majority of people will be focusing on the fight for first our would be the battle of the Manors for 17th place. Likewise it may be good to know that Hamilton has lead his 200th lap this season. it would be more interesting for us to know that Marcus Ericsson has spent 350 laps in 14th.

That is important. Maybe during the testing period focus on Sauber, Renault and Manor.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

At this stage we can lump in McLaren as well, in a "well, it can't get any more rejectful than that, can it?" sense.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

dinizintheoven wrote:At this stage we can lump in McLaren as well, in a "well, it can't get any more rejectful than that, can it?" sense.

Eh McLaren is too popular.