This Day in Reject History: Your help needed!

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Bobby Doorknobs

This Day in Reject History: Your help needed!

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Right, you all know that thread in the JDD forum that I keep updating (almost) every day? Well, that is soon going to become a regular feature of the main site and its associated social media platforms. Now, for most of the time that thread's been going I was pretty much grabbing the first thing I could find from Chicane F1's calendar and writing about it. While it has been effective (and not to mention a time saver) I did end up missing some pretty big moments, such as Andrea Moda's glorious Monaco Grand Prix start.

I have been doing some research on every day of the year to help improve this coming feature, but it's an enormous task to get the best possible content and I could use a little bit of assistance from this most esteemed community.

What I'd love to have is as many exploits by reject drivers and teams that can be dated. Anything from noteworthy accomplishments in F1 (e.g. Bianchi's Monaco points) to achievements elsewhere like wins in CART/IRL/IndyCar, WEC/WSC, junior series, touring cars etc. and even anything that has nothing to do with reject teams or drivers, but is still nevertheless rejectful, like the Korean Grand Prix jeep from a few years back.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated :)
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Re: This Day in Reject History: Your help needed!

Post by AndreaModa »

Well for a start, on this glorious 1st February, in 1976 this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cJiZt-qoYk
Was Neve a reject? Can't remember myself but even if he wasn't, that shitty Birmingham skyline that is unrecognisable today is rejectful enough in my eyes to warrant a mention!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

AndreaModa wrote:Well for a start, on this glorious 1st February, in 1976 this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cJiZt-qoYk
Was Neve a reject? Can't remember myself but even if he wasn't, that shitty Birmingham skyline that is unrecognisable today is rejectful enough in my eyes to warrant a mention!

Well, Neve is most definitely a reject, so it's definitely worth including! :D
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AndreaModa wrote:Well for a start, on this glorious 1st February, in 1976 this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cJiZt-qoYk

Some of it is still recognisable. I knew most of the roads he drove down instantly.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Both Patrick Neve and Birmingham are surpassed in rejectfulness by... what that presenter is wearing!

The 1970s: the decade that taste forgot.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

So i was searching the internet looking for ideas for future questions for the question thread when i came across this
http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/otd/index.html

Might help for future on this day posts
Bobby Doorknobs

peteroli34 wrote:So i was searching the internet looking for ideas for future questions for the question thread when i came across this
http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/otd/index.html

Might help for future on this day posts

I appreciate the effort but I have run across it already and have been using it as an aid for the past month or so. It is still tremendously useful despite a number of dates being inaccurate (Perry McCarthy's unmasking as the Stig, for example). But thanks for the gesture :)

Anyway, I've been doing my own research into series results and so far I have catalogued a number of results from the World Sportscar Championship (up to and including 1973) and the European F2 Championship (up to and including 1980). I've also started looking at non-championship results and the odd pre-war Grand Prix (for the likes of Stuck and Étancelin). As I've said before though, it's quite a big task!
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Out of interest, what would be the long-term intention for this? Trying to find a brand new fact each and every day indefinitely, or have these repeating on a three-to-five year cycle?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:Out of interest, what would be the long-term intention for this? Trying to find a brand new fact each and every day indefinitely, or have these repeating on a three-to-five year cycle?

Well, I'm not entirely comfortable with repeating many of the facts that are already in the original forum thread, certainly for years on end (assuming I end up doing it that long). And I'm going to be perfectly honest, I did very little actual in-depth research into what might be interesting to include. As I said before, Andrea Moda's Monaco start was missed, as was Life's début, Apicella's career (though I did talk about another event from the same race, strangely enough) etc. I also found myself simply posting drivers' birthdays a lot, and I want to reduce that as much as possible. Sure, it's nice to remember a birthday, but sites like Stats F1 are doing that already, and I would rather fill that space with, say, a Le Mans win or a title clinching race from another series.
#FreeGonzo