Joe Kelly driver profile!

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Bobby Doorknobs

Joe Kelly driver profile!

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Hello all,

At long last Grand Prix Rejects can now boast it's first driver profile! This one covers Joe Kelly, Ireland's first Formula One driver, who did not make a huge impact in the two world championship rounds he entered, but was actually rather successful in other events around the British Isles.

For those of you who remember the original result was a 1,500 word piece thrown together in a week using online sources. It might have been publishable quality in the earliest days of F1 Rejects, but the standard has improved since then, so it remained on the shelf. However, a few months later a man got into contact with our esteemed site administrator. This man was Joe's son Redmond, who had a wealth of information and photographs covering his father's life and career, which included some really fascinating tales both from his time as a racing driver and from his property trading days, the end result of this correspondence being a 3,000 word profile including previously unknown stories about his interactions with such figures as Roy Salvadori, Bernie Ecclestone and even the band U2!

Anyway, enough talk, here's the profile: http://gprejects.com/centrale/drivers/joe-kelly

Cheers,

Simtek (or Anthony, seeing as my name is at the bottom of the page!)
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Re: Joe Kelly driver profile!

Post by dinizintheoven »

Sláinte to Messrs. Byrne and Kelly (junior) for all that!

What we need now is an equally comprehensive profile for Justin Wilson, with the article that's still somewhere in these forums as the base. After all, he is eligible for a full profile and with the anniversary of his all-too-sudden death coming up in August, you'd think that would be an appropriate time.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dinizintheoven wrote:Sláinte to Messrs. Byrne and Kelly (junior) for all that!

What we need now is an equally comprehensive profile for Justin Wilson, with the article that's still somewhere in these forums as the base. After all, he is eligible for a full profile and with the anniversary of his all-too-sudden death coming up in August, you'd think that would be an appropriate time.

Go raibh míle maith agat!

And with regards to the Wilson profile, I seriously think all it needs is some minor rewriting and some photographs before it can be published. It certainly looks more comprehensive than what I've got for Kelly!
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I remember reading your first draft, and it was good then. Re-reading the published profile made me wonder where all the extra information had come from! Really great stuff, thanks for the hard work.

One suggestion - perhaps things like photo credits should be included under the images? And also a disclaimer at the bottom of the article thanking or referencing sources (in this case Joe's son).
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Content! Omnomnomnomnomnom!
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Nice work, great to see new material!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I guess I can reveal right now that I've already started working on a profile of my own. With exams coming up, I don't expect to be able to finish it by then, but I'm not fussed. I'm working towards a very specific and symbolic deadline for it...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

At last! This profile is done!! I feared that it would be axed since it was cut short during F1rejects's relocating.

I can't wait to see more of these, since the read was pretty good!
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

tommykl wrote:I guess I can reveal right now that I've already started working on a profile of my own. With exams coming up, I don't expect to be able to finish it by then, but I'm not fussed. I'm working towards a very specific and symbolic deadline for it...

Johnny Claes?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

FullMetalJack wrote:
tommykl wrote:I guess I can reveal right now that I've already started working on a profile of my own. With exams coming up, I don't expect to be able to finish it by then, but I'm not fussed. I'm working towards a very specific and symbolic deadline for it...

Johnny Claes?

I guess it's not really a surprise (especially considering I've been talking about it on the chatroom for a bit)...

Can you tell what the symbolic deadline is, though? ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

tommykl wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:

Johnny Claes?

I guess it's not really a surprise (especially considering I've been talking about it on the chatroom for a bit)...

Can you tell what the symbolic deadline is, though? ;)

I can :P (but won't)
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

tommykl wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:

Johnny Claes?

No, it's more because you're Belgian and a known for your love of 1950s F1. :P
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

Just want to say how great I think the profile is! Great subject, nice anecdotes. Congratulations to all involved. We'll definitely be giving it a plug on the next podcast. Bravo.