GPR Go-Karts Meeting (Saturday 24th Sept, Milton Keynes)

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

GPR Go-Karts Meeting (Saturday 24th Sept, Milton Keynes)

Post by Aerond »

Hi there!

I'm probing if there'd be enough people to meet for a Go-Karts day!?

Here's the idea:

We find a kart track in the Uk (since there's a majority of British people around, and since it's easy enough for other Europeans to find flights and fly in if there's enough people interested. I'd of course be up to join and fly into the Uk for the meeting). Preferably outdoor and centrally located, but suggestions are welcome.
We book a Grand Prix / Endurance morning, I hope there's enough of us to get the track exclusively. Of course friends/family are welcome!
After track time, we can go to a nice pub and get food and drink plenty of ...
I'd be pleased to organise all this.
I'd estimate between 70 and 100 quid per person (depending how much you drink and eat after the karts)

I think it'd be a nice way to do a GPR meeting and have a fun day out altogether. I think the best would be to organise this for late summer / early autumn on a weekend.

So... let us know if you'd be interested and let's talk about possibilities and dates!

UPDATE: The proposed location is Daytona Milton Keynes, Saturday 24th September.

List of people

DEFINITELY IN

Aerond
SuperAguri
AndreaModa
Tommykl
Ataxia
Dinizintheoven
roblomas

MAYBES / AWAITING OPINION

Aislabie
Miguel98
dr-baker
Biscione
FullMetalJack
Gonzalez
Peteroli
EastLondoner
Last edited by Aerond on 15 Apr 2016, 18:37, edited 7 times in total.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
AndreaModa

Re: GPR Go-Karts Challenge/Meeting (UK, 2016)

Post by AndreaModa »

I like this idea, always up for a bit of karting action, only thing that stops me is cost and a lack of people to go racing with. This solves one of those problems, so if I can find the cash and the date is okay then I'm up for this definitely! :)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

AndreaModa wrote:I like this idea, always up for a bit of karting action, only thing that stops me is cost and a lack of people to go racing with. This solves one of those problems, so if I can find the cash and the date is okay then I'm up for this definitely! :)

Yeah, well, I tended to put the estimated price towards the high side of course, but pub visit/bills would be optional I guess. If we have the track for ourselves for a while I estimate it'd be between 60 and 90 pp, depending on the track and the activity. If you come by yourself or sharing car and then have only a couple pints in the pub then I think it'd be under 100 quid.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

You know, I might actually have some spare cash by the time this (potentially) arrives.

Should we all bag our favourite reject teams to race for on the day? Dibs on Forti, seeing as Pedro Diniz drove for them.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Well, aside from a few days in late May, I'm free and in Britain from September, so any weekend from then on is perfectly fine with me :D

Dibs on Johnny Claes, of course.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

A big question mark would be which track to use? Has to be convenient for people from all over the UK to get to. So for example, if I were to attend it would have to ideally be somewhere not too far from a stop on the WCML or ECML (and hopefully I could blag a lift off one of you lot for the rest of the journey :P). So somewhere like Grand Prix Karting, which is actually in Birmingham, rather than some trading estate or field out in the middle of nowhere, and is pretty much considered a fair journey for most people (i.e. not too far north or south, like Buckmore Park for example would be).
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Biscione wrote:A big question mark would be which track to use? Has to be convenient for people from all over the UK to get to. So for example, if I were to attend it would have to ideally be somewhere not too far from a stop on the WCML or ECML (and hopefully I could blag a lift off one of you lot for the rest of the journey :P). So somewhere like Grand Prix Karting, which is actually in Birmingham, rather than some trading estate or field out in the middle of nowhere, and is pretty much considered a fair journey for most people (i.e. not too far north or south, like Buckmore Park for example would be).

Yep. Needs to be convenient. Last place I went was South Wales Karting Centre which is in the middle of bloody nowhere between Cardiff and Bridgend. Brilliant track and the equipment was pretty good too, and professional blokes on site who know what they're doing. Only trouble is the location.

For me personally, depending on the day I'll be on either two wheels or four so I'm happy with wherever providing it isn't 200 miles away! ;)

And reject themed clothing (or motorsport in general for those without) should be a requirement!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I'm game.

Can I suggest Cheddar as a venue? :P (I'm joking, of course, it's probably a bit a) small and b) in the middle of nowhere).

I'd be happier with a post-September date since I'll be in a more central location, but ultimately I don't mind.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

After doing a bit of scouting, this is tracks I see feasible:

Grand Prix Karting
http://www.grandprixkarting.co.uk/
Nearest National Rail: Adderley Park (walking distance)
Price of Grand Prix / Endurance session: 50/65 (at least 10 people required)

Daytona Milton Keynes
https://www.daytona.co.uk/venues/miltonkeynes/
Nearest National Rail: Milton Keynes Central (walking distance)
Price of Grand Prix / Endurance session: They have Open Races on Saturdays. 67 pp. I guess we'd need to be at least 20 to have the track exclusively, but it sounds like a good idea as there'll be enough people guaranteed if we join an Open Race. Some Saturdays they have 90 minute endurance races, which are raced in teams of 2, 3 or 4 people.

Lakeside Karting
http://www.lakeside-karting.co.uk/
Nearest National Rail: Chafford Hundred (walking distance, 1 mile)
Price of Grand Prix / Endurance session: 74/84 (no minimum required), they also have open events on weekends updated on their website.

Brentwood Karting
http://www.brentwood-karting.com
Nearest National Rail: Brentwood, walking distance (1.2 miles)
Price of Grand Prix / Endurance session: 59/69 (no minimum required), they also have open events on weekends updated on their website.

Thruxton Kart Centre
http://www.thruxtonkarting.co.uk/
Location: Thruxton circuit, close to Basingstoke, Salisbury and Newbury.
Nearest National Rail: Andover (6.2 miles)
Price of Grand Prix / Endurance session: 62/82 (to join one of their events, we'd have to check calendar and reserve). A bit in the middle of nowhere but the track layout seems really good.

Rye House Karting
http://www.rye-house.co.uk/
Nearest National Rail: Rye House (walking distance)
Price of Grand Prix / Endurance session: The website is not very clear about this, but small parties of around 10 are available to hire the track. They also have Laser Tag and Crazy Golf on site.

Red Lodge Karting
http://www.redlodgekarting.com
Nearest National Rail: Kennet (1.8 miles)
Price of Grand Prix / Endurance session: They have open events on weekends at 45 pp

Daytona Sandown Park
https://www.daytona.co.uk/venues/sandown/index.php
Nearest National Rail: Esher, walking distance (1.2 miles)
Price of Grand Prix / Endurance session: 67 pp. They have open races on weekends, same as Daytona Milton Keynes.

Surbiton Raceway
http://www.surbiton-raceway.co.uk/
Nearest National Rail: Tolworth (walking distance, less than 1 mile)
Price of Grand Prix / Endurance session: Between 40 and 65. Minimum 7 drivers. Not the most exciting track layout.

I think Milton Keynes or any of the others around the M25 would work best for me, as I could get an early low-cost flight into Luton, Gatwick or Stansted, get a car for the day, and leave on an evening flight. Of course feel free to propose other venues.
Last edited by Aerond on 12 Apr 2016, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

No prizes for guessing which track i'd vote for. Although i've never been on the full size track, so I have no advantage there.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

List of interested users, so far:

1.Aerond (prefers MK, if not Birmingham or any of those close to Stansted)
2.Ataxia (accessible from Oxford)
3.tommykl (same as Ataxia)
4.AndreaModa (literally "not 200 hundred miles off Bristol")
5.Biscione (prefers Birmingham or easily accessible from Edinburgh)
6.FullMetalJack (prefers Birmingham, or MK if not Birmingham)
7.Miguel98
8.EastLondoner
9.dinizintheoven
10.peteroli34 (midlands or London)
11.roblomas
12.watka (if Surbiton or Sandown)
13.dr-baker (if around London or MK)
14.Superaguri
15.Aislabie
16.Gonzalez (if Sandown, Brentwood, Surbiton or Thruxton)
Last edited by Aerond on 12 Apr 2016, 19:43, edited 9 times in total.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

I'd be up for a bit of this. Although expect my performance to be worthy of a profile here :D. Location wise the midlands or closer to London would pobably be the best bet
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I would also be up for this. I think as far as location goes, Milton Keynes or Birmingham would be the best locations from a geographical perspective. Having been to Thruxton to spectate, the track layout is indeed as cool as it looks on the map. Rye House and Lakeside also look pretty cool in my opinion.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

Not fully interested yet, but still worth looking into that and asking.

In case i put my name forward, As my only mode of getting there will be Public Transport, the best avaliable tracks here from my place would be anywhere close to London: Sandown and Surbiton as well as Thruxton would be the ones that could suit me.
Last edited by Gonzalez on 12 Apr 2016, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I wasn't really sure I can justify to my wife spending a day to go quite far away to do some karting but Surbiton and Sandown are right on my doorstep, so if you choose there I could be tempted (happy to do lifts from the station)! Don't let your decision hinge on me though.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I've been karting at Sandown before (all the way back in 2001, in my first term at university). But I know Surbiton very well and live close to Thurrock for Lakeside karting. Around London (as these three tracks are) would be convenient for those travelling from the continent, centrally located for Europeans and Brits. If it is at one of the aforementioned tracks (or perhaps Milton Keynes), count me in for a day out.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

If you don't mind someone coming along who is a noob to both the forum and to karting (despite living approximately 10 miles from a well-regarded track which I go past on my commute every work day) then I'd happily come along and give it ago.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Aislabie wrote:If you don't mind someone coming along who is a noob to both the forum and to karting (despite living approximately 10 miles from a well-regarded track which I go past on my commute every work day) then I'd happily come along and give it ago.

You are super welcome!
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

If Surbiton, Brentwood, Sandown and maybe Thruxton gets put forward i will be very happy to consider myself interested.

Also, how long would this meeting last for?
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

I'd like to formally propose Saturday 24th September for the meeting, at Daytona Milton Keynes.

The track cannot be booked until June, and payment must be made in advance at the moment of booking; it will be around 70 pp.

We are not ensured track exclusivity unless there's 20 of us, but the track would be happy to get as many of us as we are, and then open the event for other people to come, which is ok with me. As for the time, it's early, but I think 11:30 or Noon would be perfect (people need to be at least 30 minutes in advance)

Let me know how all this works for you, and if we don't reach a consensous we'll look at another day / track.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

How much track time are we getting for 70pp? What's the format?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Biscione wrote:How much track time are we getting for 70pp? What's the format?

You get a 10 minute practice/qualifying session, and then a 40 minute balls-to-the-wall race. The price includes helmet rental and the fact that we have the circuit to ourselves, so it's a reasonable price considering those things.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Ataxia wrote:

You get a 10 minute practice/qualifying session, and then a 40 minute balls-to-the-wall race. The price includes helmet rental and the fact that we have the circuit to ourselves, so it's a reasonable price considering those things.

I agree.

Will try to convince my mum to let me go. If I am on college at that time, maybe I can escape to England. Will see.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ataxia wrote:

40 minutes isn't bad. Will they split us into smaller groups for the qualifying and run multiple sessions?

As far as date and location are concerned, it's all fine with me.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

AndreaModa wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

40 minutes isn't bad. Will they split us into smaller groups for the qualifying and run multiple sessions?

As far as date and location are concerned, it's all fine with me.

1 lap qualifying session? :P
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Haha that would make it interesting! No, from experience I've seen that sometimes with larger groups you'll get split into groups of 5 for example to give you a bit of room on track and time to learn the course without the track being full of other novices too! So if there were 20 of us, perhaps 3 or 4 groups with 10 minutes each.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

Well I am definitely going. :D

I might come the day before as I might have some stuff to do in London, however I am going to hire a car so I might be able to help some people get to the track.

Maybe NE and EC London, Epping, Stansted, Cambridge, Bedford, Letchworth, Luton and Watford type areas. So nearer the time we can work out these things.
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: GPR Go-Karts Meeting (Saturday 24th Sept, Milton Keynes)

Post by Aerond »

Looking on tripadvisor I found this place where I think we can go after the karts:

https://www.tripadvisor.es/Restaurant_R ... gland.html

We of course can book somewhere fancier, but I think an option like this can cover all budgets, the reviews are good and it looks nice. It's about 2 miles off the venue and I think us people going by car could give a lift to those travelling on public transport.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'm free on the 24th of September (fortunately - the annual Warhorns festival is the weekend before!) so, let's do this!

And so I find whether another nine years of driving a diesel not particularly fast along the highways of the continent will have further eroded what little ability I ever had to find the fastest way round a corner...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

For the record, I'm going to pass on this, but I'll let you all know if things change (I'll put it in the diary as a reminder).
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Aerond wrote:I'd like to formally propose Saturday 24th September for the meeting, at Daytona Milton Keynes.

I do believe that's the Saturday of Freshers Week, but I'll only be a train ride away so may be able to make it.

A week or so earlier and that's on my doorstep (unless I cut it really fine with my travels in which case I might be in Ljubljana).

TL;DR - I'm a maybe.
SuperAguri
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SuperAguri »

As it is now August and September is but a month and a bit away, are there any updates to this as flights will probably need to be booked soon to get a good price on them.
<@Ataxia> these people are making a mess of their crepe suzettes
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

SuperAguri wrote:As it is now August and September is but a month and a bit away, are there any updates to this as flights will probably need to be booked soon to get a good price on them.

On my side I haven't pursued this any further for now; I'm really short of money and there doesn't seem to be a massive interest either.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I'm still very much up for it, though preparation on my end would be minimal...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

tommykl wrote:I'm still very much up for it, though preparation on my end would be minimal...

Likewise. Although I have literally no money and no job right now, I'd have thought by September that my situation will have improved!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

What they said. I'd been wondering about this myself. I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to finish stone dead last at karting once again!
Gonzalez

Post by Gonzalez »

So, with the proposal date getting closer to us, but with no further considerations over the past couple of months, I have just thought of coming up with a possible idea.

How about splitting up the Meeting group in half, with 1 group of those definately attending and another different group.

For the other different group, Most of us who are currently on the "Maybe Attending" list are in the South East, so i think it would be good for that other group to form together and meet up at another Karting place that they would feel more able to get to, just need somebody to host that other group.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Still interested, still likely to be the next Chanoch Nissany.
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

I'm actually living in Milton Keynes until exactly one week before this when I move to Wales, so I'll have to cry off
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Well, this is supposed to be happening in two weeks. Any news?