New segment: Reject Games

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Ataxia
Not Important

New segment: Reject Games

Post by Ataxia »

Hello ladies and gents,

Today sees the debut of a new GPR segment called "Reject Games", in which we play through some of the less-good video games based on Formula 1 (or similar). This time, Formula 1 '98 has been the object of our scrutiny and you can read that here: http://gprejects.com/centrale/formula-1-98

I hope you enjoy it, and we might do another few over the year if it does well.

Thanks!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
TomPryce

Re: New segment: Reject Games

Post by TomPryce »

Hi!

If you want, feel free to make my article on Formula 1 an entry in this series :)
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Great article. Interestingly enough, according to Wikipedia, the cover mostly featured Jarno Trulli (perhaps with a barely visible line of cars behind him) except on the UK version which featured Hakkinen and in the U.S. it had, bizarrely, Eddie Irvine.

Wikipedia also states that, despite the poor reviews and issues covered in the article, it was a best-seller. Which tells you something.

Incidentally, if you're considering another piece you might want to take a look at this game based firmly on F1 but without a licence from the PS2...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS3:_Racing_Simulation_3
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:Great article. Interestingly enough, according to Wikipedia, the cover mostly featured Jarno Trulli (perhaps with a barely visible line of cars behind him) except on the UK version which featured Hakkinen and in the U.S. it had, bizarrely, Eddie Irvine.

Wikipedia also states that, despite the poor reviews and issues covered in the article, it was a best-seller. Which tells you something.

Incidentally, if you're considering another piece you might want to take a look at this game based firmly on F1 but without a licence from the PS2...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS3:_Racing_Simulation_3

Thank you! I've got a decent sized list with a few obscure turds on it, but I'll definitely check this out as well!

TomPryce wrote:Hi!

If you want, feel free to make my article on Formula 1 an entry in this series :)

To be honest, I'm personally happy with it as a standalone article; although F1 had a ton of our favourite drivers, the game is one of my all-time favourites and I wouldn't be comfortable shoving "Reject Games" in front of it!

Oh, and the "Reject Rating" is kinda arbitrary, but higher numbers indicate greater rejectworthiness ;)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Formula 1 '98 was the first Formula 1 game I bought on PS1 and it put me off F1 games for a long time. As you say, the understeer made the cars absolute dogs, I'd have to go for a high downforce set up everywhere.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Yes - as Watka says - Monaco was impossible to drive nicely as the steering was rubbish . F1 98 was a big step backwards from 97. And if I recall, F1 99 brought a safety car and AI who would let you have a 10 second lead, and then upped their pace to prevent you from extending that by any great amount
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

yannicksamlad wrote:Yes - as Watka says - Monaco was impossible to drive nicely as the steering was rubbish . F1 98 was a big step backwards from 97. And if I recall, F1 99 brought a safety car and AI who would let you have a 10 second lead, and then upped their pace to prevent you from extending that by any great amount

Never played F1 99 but the Wikipedia page agrees with you and also mentions the AI passing through walls to overtake you!

Catch up logic can be done well (I remember it being pretty reasonable in TOCA Touring Cars), but when its wrong, it ruins everything.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

watka wrote:
yannicksamlad wrote:Yes - as Watka says - Monaco was impossible to drive nicely as the steering was rubbish . F1 98 was a big step backwards from 97. And if I recall, F1 99 brought a safety car and AI who would let you have a 10 second lead, and then upped their pace to prevent you from extending that by any great amount

Never played F1 99 but the Wikipedia page agrees with you and also mentions the AI passing through walls to overtake you!

Catch up logic can be done well (I remember it being pretty reasonable in TOCA Touring Cars), but when its wrong, it ruins everything.

I stil have PTSD over Mario Kart 64. To say that game had a slingshot effect built in would be one of the biggest understatements of video game history.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Ataxia wrote:Oh, and the "Reject Rating" is kinda arbitrary, but higher numbers indicate greater rejectworthiness ;)

Any indication of which drivers correspond to which star ratings?

Five stars would be HWNSNBM, surely. One star, maybe a "You Lucky Bastard" such as Ricardo Zonta or Narain Karthikeyan...?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Oh, and the "Reject Rating" is kinda arbitrary, but higher numbers indicate greater rejectworthiness ;)

Five stars would be HWNSNBM, surely. One star, maybe a "You Lucky Bastard" such as Ricardo Zonta or Narain Karthikeyan...?

As I say, completely arbitrary...usually it'll have some relation to the game, but it could just end up being whatever's funniest. I dunno.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Ataxia wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:

As I say, completely arbitrary...usually it'll have some relation to the game, but it could just end up being whatever's funniest. I dunno.

"Given the amount of times I fell asleep waiting for something interesting to happen in this game, I would give it a rating of Ralf Schumacher playing golf in a pair of brown khakis while ocean sounds play in the background."

"This game has such a loose grip on reality, I'd have to give it a rating of Shigeaki Hattori wearing ballet shoes on an ice rink."

"Unfortunately, with the game being so bugged with crashes that it was rendered unplayable, I have no choice than to give it, by default, a rating of Pastor Maldonado wearing a suicide vest whilst partaking in a cheese rolling contest hosted in the world's biggest hall of mirrors."
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image