A definite forum meet-up

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
dr-baker

A definite forum meet-up

Post by dr-baker »

So watka and I have already definitely agreed to meet at the Surbiton Flyer, by Surbiton station in south-west London, at 1 pm on the Sunday of the Australian GP. I am likely to have watched the race by then, watka possibly not. If anybody would like to join us on that day for a pint and a bite, please join us!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Re: A definite forum meet-up

Post by dinizintheoven »

The one weekend I'm not available...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:The one weekend I'm not available...

Maybe it might not be a one-off?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

The pub looks well lovely BUT way too far + I don't drink. But its a cracking idea so have a great time guys!
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:The pub looks well lovely BUT way too far + I don't drink. But its a cracking idea so have a great time guys!

I don't drink either... Well, not alcohol anyway. But food on the other hand...
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So this took place today, just Watka and me, and it was nice, despite my voice doing what it normally does (louder and louder, until someone tells me it's too loud , then I calm down again!).

We thought it would be nice to do this again, maybe mid-season in a pub on the bank of the Thames in Kingston. Who's up for this? Maybe if it's the European season, a weekend between races, so we don't need to find a pub showing qualifying or the race?
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

When I get back to Britain, I might be in London for a few weeks, so if the planets align, I'm up for it!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'm going to provisionally say first weekend in July (either the Saturday or the Sunday, depending on what people can do). (As in, the weekend between Azerbaijan and Austria).
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Should be alright with me!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:Should be alright with me!

MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I will attempt to keep it free.

In my defence this time, my weekend was filled with beer, Stanforth's pork pies and one of Aagrah's speciality eat-in-only curries so I'm not going to be complaining too loudly.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:I will attempt to keep it free.

In my defence this time, my weekend was filled with beer, Stanforth's pork pies and one of Aagrah's speciality eat-in-only curries so I'm not going to be complaining too loudly.

Sounds like a decent time. There should be an acceptable Thames-side pub that does a curry and beer (wouldn't be a pub without beer, would it!). Used to be a pub in K-town that did banana beer. Don't know if still the case?
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Even if it is, I'd avoid banana-flavoured beer like a combination of bubonic plague, cancer and AIDS. I want my beer to taste of beer!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I take it you don't like it then?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

There is some historic F1 testing today, of cars from 1970s and 1980s, at Brands Hatch. I only found out about it this morning on Twitter from the Brands Hatch Twitter feed. Thought it would beat a day in the library. Can always catch up on bank holiday Monday. ;) I have seen a Fittipaldi, ISO-Williams, a few Tyrrells and McLarens and a Wolf.

Would have suggested a meet up here if I thought a few people would be free on a working week day and if I had known about it sooner...

EDIT: The irony of this is that the GP cars are on the Indy loop today...
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

As regards the plan for next weekend, due to life circumstances, I won't be attending any meet-up after all. (Have to take my car off for repairs after a guy hit the side of my car at a petrol station. He couldn't see me right ahead of him!) But of course don't let me stop anybody who still wants to do something.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:Have to take my car off for repairs after a guy hit the side of my car at a petrol station. He couldn't see me right ahead of him!

Is his name Sebastian Vettel?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Have to take my car off for repairs after a guy hit the side of my car at a petrol station. He couldn't see me right ahead of him!

Is his name Sebastian Vettel?

It was either Vettel or Maldonado. ;)
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Biscione's going to Knockhill for the BTCC in a few weeks. I'm thinking of going too. Anyone else want to join along?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:Biscione's going to Knockhill for the BTCC in a few weeks. I'm thinking of going too. Anyone else want to join along?

I'm considering it. Depends on placement rota. Just looked at the event page on Knockhill's website: a chance to walk the track at the end of racing in the Sunday sounds like a photo opportunity for a make-up and good outlets will remain open. Sounds promising. Just need the time off!

https://www.knockhill.com/events/britis ... ampionship
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Rob Dylan wrote:Biscione's going to Knockhill for the BTCC in a few weeks. I'm thinking of going too. Anyone else want to join along?

Bah, I'm going to the wrong BTCC round - I'm off to Snetterton next week. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I am free that weekend. Just gotta be able to drive back down to Kingston/London for the following day. Simples!
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'd be up for going if I had any idea how to get there... Looking around online for coaches or buses from Edinburgh, but it looks like I'll have to get to Fife first and then a bus from there (if there are any)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I've just booked my tickets for Knockhill! Now I just have to figure out where I will be spending the Saturday night. (The Sunday night will involve driving back to south-west London for 11:30 am Monday morning.)
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dr-baker wrote:I've just booked my tickets for Knockhill! Now I just have to figure out where I will be spending the Saturday night. (The Sunday night will involve driving back to south-west London for 11:30 am Monday morning.)

With the cost of the petrol Baker, you might be better off getting a flight up there if you can.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I've just booked my tickets for Knockhill! Now I just have to figure out where I will be spending the Saturday night. (The Sunday night will involve driving back to south-west London for 11:30 am Monday morning.)

With the cost of the petrol Baker, you might be better off getting a flight up there if you can.

With the amount of petrol my car uses, a flight will cost more than the petrol bill.

(My car's a diesel. ;-) )

But factoring in the time and cost of transfers, plus the fact that I may then be going straight from uni to home in Essex, and that I don't like hauling luggage around on public transport (especially through central London), I'll use the car! Plus it'll give me the chance to stick up on meat from the farm shop at Tebay services.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

That's my kind of service station!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:That's my kind of service station!

Tebay in Cumbria is generally considered to be the best services in the country. Then and Gloucester services, which they also own!
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Don't forget to pick up a generous supply of Stringer's Dry Stout at Tebay as well.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Don't forget to pick up a generous supply of Stringer's Dry Stout at Tebay as well.

And how am I then going to be able to get that to you, eh? ;)
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So who else is definitely going to Knockhill next weekend? I will certainly be there on the Sunday, and probably the Saturday too, but depends on my tiredness and getting up to Scotland after doing a night shift on Thursday night. Will probably watch from the hairpin at the end of the lap, but will probably explore on the Saturday.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

My attendance is now in doubt, having been admitted to hospital and potentially stuck here for an entire week. Great timing for something like this to happen :facepalm:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DemocalypseNow wrote:My attendance is now in doubt, having been admitted to hospital and potentially stuck here for an entire week. Great timing for something like this to happen :facepalm:

Get well soon.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

While I am about to break free from the confines of a hospital ward, my doctor has made it clear in no uncertain terms that running around like a maniac at Knockhill is off the agenda! So that's me done for :(
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DemocalypseNow wrote:While I am about to break free from the confines of a hospital ward, my doctor has made it clear in no uncertain terms that running around like a maniac at Knockhill is off the agenda! So that's me done for :(

So could you do an Alonso and just lounge in a deckchair trackside instead?! Seriously, as a student nurse, I ought to say, "Take the doctor's advice seriously!"

i am about to head off for Scotland soon, in the next few hours, by car. So if I'm going to see any of you there, I will try to pick up free WiFi when and where I can.
MCard LOLA
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Alright guys, this thing is gonna be wayyy, wayyyyyyy out there, but here's something in case someone HAPPENS to be out there.

So. I'm thinking of going to the first Formula E event of the upcoming season in Hong Kong on the 2nd/3rd of December.

I know there's very little, if any, Asian representation bar myself, but if anyone happens to be anyone in the area around then or also planning to attend, let me know.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Anyone else going to Silverstone next year?