Suggestion: GP Rejects discord

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website

Should we stay with Mibbit or change to Discord?

Poll ended at 16 Jul 2017, 22:12

Switch to Discord
50%
Stick with Mibbit
50%

Total votes: 8

Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Suggestion: GP Rejects discord

Post by Butterfox »

Not sure if this has been suggested before but since the anime community got me into Discord, it would maybe make sense to have one? Not to replace the chat, obviously, but it's easy to access.
So if anyone is interested, i'll create one immediatly.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
UncreativeUsername37

Re: Suggestion: GP Rejects discord

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Well, this isn't a very positive reply, but I feel like some feedback, though it hurts, would be better than silence.

My first thought was "As you've accidentally implicitly stated, Discord is for nerds. So I'm in."

But now minutes later I'm thinking its very use might make things worse. When we have Mibbit for casual in-joke-filled conversations (that's the feeling I've got anyway, I haven't been there in forever) and we have the forum for (relatively speaking) long-form and serious stuff, do we need something that's sort of like both? It'd probably just split the best of what we already have. Sort of like what the dual channel situation is doing to British F1 coverage.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

No i appreciate the feedback. Your points are valid. I just wanted to test if there was any disire for it among the members.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Well, even if the intention is not such, a GPRejects Discord would practically replace the current IRC channel. I don't see a lot of people willing to have two instant messaging services open at the same time.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Nuppiz wrote:Well, even if the intention is not such, a GPRejects Discord would practically replace the current IRC channel. I don't see a lot of people willing to have two instant messaging services open at the same time.

I agree with Nuppiz on this. If the IRC didn't exist yet, I would pick Discord, because it has much better functionalities and looks sleeker. As it happens, the IRC does exist, and switching over from one to the other seems like a bit too much of a hassle.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Oh man, when I read the thread title I thought something had kicked off and I hot footed it over here as fast as a very fast thing.

Now I learn it's connected to that stuff I don't use and I feel disappointed at the lack of red hot goss.
Just For One Day...
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Well at first i thought 'for those who don't use the IRC chat' but yeah.... now i realise those members are probably the same ones...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:Oh man, when I read the thread title I thought something had kicked off and I hot footed it over here as fast as a very fast thing.

Now I learn it's connected to that stuff I don't use and I feel disappointed at the lack of red hot goss.

Ditto.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Oh man, when I read the thread title I thought something had kicked off and I hot footed it over here as fast as a very fast thing.

Ditto.

Let's start our own discord, spice things up a bit.

dr-baker is a racist and hates old people.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Ditto.

Let's start our own discord, spice things up a bit.

dr-baker is a racist and hates old people.

No I'm not! I'm a sexist and hate young people... :facepalm:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:No I'm not! I'm a sexist and hate young people... :facepalm:

Sounds like an admission of UKIP membership too. :shock:
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Ringo was the only talented member of the Beatles.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:Ringo was the only talented member of the Beatles.

Well, I do believe that he was by far the best narrator of Thomas the Tank Engine by far.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I'm not against it as a direct replacement for Mibbit.

Mibbit is feature-poor, though has less barriers to access for newcomers on desktop (it has a crazy simple UI).

It does poorly on mobile though (I have to use AndroIRC on anything that isn't a PC) and the recent episode of lapsing HTTPS certificates shows it isn't the best taken care of either.

If there's enough support for it I'm happy to mothball Mibbit and move to Discord. The way I see it, if we did it soon, we're merely be choosing to make the switch, rather than having to make the switch later on.

There is a poll active now at the top of the page with which you can make your intention clear. I would like to point out this ain't Brexit, the results are non-binding and simply advisory. :vergne:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DemocalypseNow wrote:I would like to point out this ain't Brexit, the results are non-binding and simply advisory

Actually, the Brexit referendum result was also technically non-binding and an advisory result only for the sitting government and...

...never mind.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

As someone who doesn't care, I'd prefer just to stick with Mibbit because I'm used to it. I suppose I'm not integrated enough, because I don't see where the need to move is coming from. But if we were to move, I suppose I'd follow everyone else. But I've never had a problem with Mibbit.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

There is no need to move, as i said, i originally thought it would be cool for the members not on the mibbit, but forgot that the mibbit regulars would probably the same people already familiar with discord.
But as Democalypse has sort of unconciously suggested, discord is growing quite large, and in a few years probably half of our members will have a membership anyway. It's really the next big thing regarding apps. The easy thing is that you can be part of multiple communities on the same app. It's also really easy to manage for admins and mods and once you registered, really self-explaining for members. The mobile is not very convenient when you're a mod or admin, but for other members it's fine. The pc version is very easy.

Of course the argument contra is that the IRC is fine as it is and that discord is more a community thing than a chatroom, which can lead to competing against our own website.