NEW PROFILE: Tony Brise

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Ataxia
Not Important

NEW PROFILE: Tony Brise

Post by Ataxia »

Ladies and gents,

Sometimes, I write very silly things. Today (or rather, several months ago when I put this together) I've been a little more serious as I attempted to remember a fantastic young racing talent cut down in his prime.

So, here's Tony Brise's story. A perennially-underfunded young talent who found a way into F1, was mentored by a two-time champion...before losing it all. I hope it's worth your time.

Thank you.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Barbazza

Re: NEW PROFILE: Tony Brise

Post by Barbazza »

A very good read - I sadly never did get round to buying David Tremayne's book 'The Lost Generation' about him, Tom Pryce & Roger Williamson. It's now out of print of course.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

It's at times like this (i.e. a new profile of a driver who was killed just out of action and not actually on the track) I remember there's a sort-of-profile of Justin Wilson masquerading as a post somewhere on the HWNSNBM forum, and it'd be worth digging that out for another read.

Another fine job, this one, obviously, and who knows what might have been for Tony Brise and the Hill GH2, an unraced car that doesn't seem to be mentioned amongst other unraced cars. Was it too far back in the past to be remembered?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Very good read Ataxia, I'm always a sucker for stories about people that could never fulfill their immense talent for whatever reason.

Barbazza wrote:A very good read - I sadly never did get round to buying David Tremayne's book 'The Lost Generation' about him, Tom Pryce & Roger Williamson. It's now out of print of course.

Not to try and rub it in, but it really is a fantastic book. Read it about 4 times and it's great to have for reference.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

I also approve. After reading your article, it really puts up a massive "What if" and in this case, one wonders if the late 70's and early 80s could have been the era of Brise, especially as there were multiple single title winners in that time
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Collieafc wrote:I also approve. After reading your article, it really puts up a massive "What if" and in this case, one wonders if the late 70's and early 80s could have been the era of Brise, especially as there were multiple single title winners in that time

Or the era of Cevert, or Peterson, or Nilsson, or Pace or Pryce or... So much talent lost in those years :cry:
girry

Post by girry »

dinizintheoven wrote:It's at times like this (i.e. a new profile of a driver who was killed just out of action and not actually on the track) I remember there's a sort-of-profile of Justin Wilson masquerading as a post somewhere on the HWNSNBM forum, and it'd be worth digging that out for another read.

https://gprejects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7557
Yeah if anyone of you guys are willing to use the base text for the website it's all yours - probably just need to get it shortened quite a bit to meet the main site's standards, then have some details added about the tragic ending + a couple of YT videos to accompany.

--

Brilliant work on the profile as usual, and the advent calendar is a great idea too - enjoying it very much.
when you're dead people start listening