1985: From Alfa to Omega

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Good morning everyone.

This week saw an F1 car with the Alfa Romeo name take to the track for the first time since 1985. This got us thinking - what on earth happened during Alfa's last stint in the sport?

Our esteemed forumite Miguel98 has taken up the challenge and produced this excellent piece documenting Milan's woeful 1985 - a season so poor that even Minardi and Osella were able to beat their well-funded countrymen. Read it here today!

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Paul Hayes

Re: 1985: From Alfa to Omega

Post by Paul Hayes »

I very much enjoyed reading this - thank you!
mario

Post by mario »

Just to let you know that there either there is a section of missing text, or possibly something has accidentally been duplicated. The paragraph introducing the 185T ends with the words "Once again", but with nothing coming after them - was there meant to be another sentence that was cut short, or a bit of stray text mistakenly being pasted in the wrong place?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

mario wrote:Just to let you know that there either there is a section of missing text, or possibly something has accidentally been duplicated. The paragraph introducing the 185T ends with the words "Once again", but with nothing coming after them - was there meant to be another sentence that was cut short, or a bit of stray text mistakenly being pasted in the wrong place?

Ah yes, that was an erroneous piece of text that I managed to miss when proofreading the piece. It's been fixed. :)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

That was an informative article, with some nice humour. :) . But I believe the German GP was held at the modernised Nurburgring, not Hockenheim, in 1985.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

good_Ralf wrote:That was an informative article, with some nice humour. :) . But I believe the German GP was held at the modernised Nurburgring, not Hockenheim, in 1985.

Yes, that's correct! My bad on this one, totally missed it.. It was the first GP on the new Nurburgring track.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I wonder if Bruno Giacomelli was dreaming of his days at Alfa Romeo when he hauled himself out of bed at stupid o'clock on twelve Friday mornings in 1990?

The 185T was proof, if any were ever needed, that a good-looking car isn't necessarily fast.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dinizintheoven wrote:I wonder if Bruno Giacomelli was dreaming of his days at Alfa Romeo when he hauled himself out of bed at stupid o'clock on twelve Friday mornings in 1990?

The 185T was proof, if any were ever needed, that a good-looking car isn't necessarily fast.

Based on some 1990 interviews I've seen from Giacomelli, he knew perfectly well that Life had no chance of ever making the cut and just drove for fun (and presumably a bit of extra cash as well).
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Miguel98 wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:That was an informative article, with some nice humour. :) . But I believe the German GP was held at the modernised Nurburgring, not Hockenheim, in 1985.

Yes, that's correct! My bad on this one, totally missed it.. It was the first GP on the new Nurburgring track.

I'm really, really sorry, but that was the 1984 European Grand Prix. :P

Unless of course you specifically meant the German Grand Prix.

But seriously, that was some very nice work, Miguel. This may be one of our best non-profile pieces, thanks for taking it on.

Nuppiz wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:I wonder if Bruno Giacomelli was dreaming of his days at Alfa Romeo when he hauled himself out of bed at stupid o'clock on twelve Friday mornings in 1990?

Based on some 1990 interviews I've seen from Giacomelli, he knew perfectly well that Life had no chance of ever making the cut and just drove for fun (and presumably a bit of extra cash as well).

I just came across this 1999 interview: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... giacomelli

No mention of horticultural curiosities circa 1990 as the focus is on just one race, but at the end he calls his decision to persevere with Alfa Romeo the biggest mistake of his life. :lol:
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

Great Article. Thanks.

I have a thing for F1 cars with obnoxiously coloured wheels.