Grands Prix that Never Happened - Australia and Oceania

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Good evening everyone :)

Recently we've managed to achieve a regular content stream on our website for the first time in a couple of years (the more churlish amongst us might say the first time since 1999-2001, but we're not acknowledging that :pantano: ), and tonight we're adding to our portfoilo with the first in an occasional series of articles.

In the 70+ years of the Formula One World Championship, around 70 different tracks have managed to etch their names into the history books. Some of those venues, like Silverstone, Spa-Francorchamps, the Nurburgring and Caesars Palace have become household names in the motorsport community thanks to their F1 exploits. But it got us thinking, what of the various venues which have tried and ultimately failed to hold a Grand Prix?

Taking his maiden bow as a GPR author, giraurd has begun this new series by taking a look Down Under at the various proposals in Australia and New Zealand, which you can read right here today!

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
CoopsII

Re: Grands Prix that Never Happened - Australia and Oceania

Post by CoopsII »

Yeah, that was great and thank you for reminding me about A1GP, I’d totally forgotten THAT was a thing.

Maybe it’s time for a “Most Forgettable Racing Series” Thread. You could put that silly football team one in it too.
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

John Crichton-Stuart, the Marquess of Bute wrote:Hoots mon, that Sandown track is pure pish, ye ken?

I have never heard anything like that from inside any form of racing car, ever. It sounds like he was being tortured.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:Yeah, that was great and thank you for reminding me about A1GP, I’d totally forgotten THAT was a thing.

Maybe it’s time for a “Most Forgettable Racing Series” Thread. You could put that silly football team one in it too.

I've watched both series race at Brands Hatch. I can't remember much of the Superleague Formula action, but I can remember this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DShv0G-y0NA
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

^I’d put that firmly on the Olympiacos car there, the gap was never there.

It’s a pity my local Macclesfield Town FC were never given the chance to field a car, it’s just down the road from the Merc garage……
Just For One Day...
V8fan12

Post by V8fan12 »

Londoner wrote:Good evening everyone :)

Recently we've managed to achieve a regular content stream on our website for the first time in a couple of years (the more churlish amongst us might say the first time since 1999-2001, but we're not acknowledging that :pantano: ), and tonight we're adding to our portfoilo with the first in an occasional series of articles.

In the 70+ years of the Formula One World Championship, around 70 different tracks have managed to etch their names into the history books. Some of those venues, like Silverstone, Spa-Francorchamps, the Nurburgring and Caesars Palace have become household names in the motorsport community thanks to their F1 exploits. But it got us thinking, what of the various venues which have tried and ultimately failed to hold a Grand Prix?

Taking his maiden bow as a GPR author, giraurd has begun this new series by taking a look Down Under at the various proposals in Australia and New Zealand, which you can read right here today!

Hey Londoner, quick little correction for that article - the Ardmore Airport is actually on the outskirts of Auckland, not in the South Island. It is still in use today as a general aviation airport.
Owner of the Peak Motorsport Group.

Biscione wrote:I mean, Renaldo Jimenez, could you ask for a more world class pay driver? Who even is Alexey Buyvolov, amirite?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

V8fan12 wrote:
Londoner wrote:Good evening everyone :)

Hey Londoner, quick little correction for that article - the Ardmore Airport is actually on the outskirts of Auckland, not in the South Island. It is still in use today as a general aviation airport.

It has been fixed! Thank you :D
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.