Off-season bit of fun 2019/20

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Off-season bit of fun 2019/20

Post by Nuppiz »

Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

It's been a while since the last post, so a new challenge is needed. We've had a reject driver, a reject team, a reject engine, now it's time for a reject... tyre supplier!

According to this Wikipedia article, there have been a total of 9 tyre manufacturers in the sport, only one of whom has not only not led anybody to a title, but has no wins whatsoever. That is Avon. The article to aim for is this one: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_ ... er_Company

Yes, the Cooper Tire (sic) and Rubber Company. There is more about Avon's motorsport history there than on the Avon Rubber plc page...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Honest answers please: have people lost interest in this? Am I picking target pages that are too obscure? Would you prefer just teams and drivers? Would a competitive element make this better? Do people just have the new year blues? Are people just getting busy again after the Christmas break?

Why the lack of interest?!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:Honest answers please: have people lost interest in this? Am I picking target pages that are too obscure? Would you prefer just teams and drivers? Would a competitive element make this better? Do people just have the new year blues? Are people just getting busy again after the Christmas break?

Sorry, i had an exam period and stress finding an internmentship place. That's done now, so i can fill it in. You could say i'm a bit busier now indeed.
Last edited by Nessafox on 28 Jan 2020, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Okay we start with:
Ear-sy Rider (an episode of Bob's Burgers) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear-sy_Rider
Outlaw Motorcycle Club https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_motorcycle_club
Motorcycle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle
Honda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda
Honda in Formula One https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_in_Formula_One
1983 Formula One World Championship https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Form ... ampionship
1982 Formula One World Championship https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Form ... ampionship
Avon Rubber https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avon_Rubber
Cooper Tire & Rubber Company https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Ti ... er_Company

Well that took a longer way around than expected.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Honest answers please: have people lost interest in this? Am I picking target pages that are too obscure? Would you prefer just teams and drivers? Would a competitive element make this better? Do people just have the new year blues? Are people just getting busy again after the Christmas break?

Sorry, i had an exam period and stress finding an internmentship place. That's done now, so i can fill it in. You could say i'm a bit busier now indeed.

Fair enough. Nice to know. Hope you get the results and the internship that you want!
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I think the end-point is a bit too obscure for me, and I wouldn't be able to think of ingenious ways to get there myself. The ones I knew, like Super Aguri, I enjoyed looking for because I knew enough about it.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:I think the end-point is a bit too obscure for me, and I wouldn't be able to think of ingenious ways to get there myself. The ones I knew, like Super Aguri, I enjoyed looking for because I knew enough about it.

Ok, thought that may be the case. Will bear that in mind.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:

Fair enough. Nice to know. Hope you get the results and the internship that you want!

Thanks, the internship contract is already signed, so now i got to do it good, (it counts for school points). I'll still have a rather busy februari. The school thing is isn't really college, that's always been above my level, but a sort of 'second high school' thing. I'm slowly finally finding my feet in society, that also means i'm a bit less busy in here. But i'm sure people are glad to know things are alright.
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Sorry, forgot about this for a while. Let's have one or two more rounds before the off-season finishes.

Next target page: Al Pease.
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

1. Good Bye Lenin! (soundtrack)
2. Daniel Brühl
3. Niki Lauda
4. Cosworth DFV
5. 1967 Canadian Grand Prix
6. Al Pease

I was a bit lost at first but then noticed Daniel Brühl... it was quite easy from there.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Ludwig Heusner - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Heusner
Heidelberg University - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg_University
Heidelberg - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg
Nelson Piquet Jr - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Piquet_Jr.
2008 Canadian Grand Prix - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Canadian_Grand_Prix
Category: Canadian Grand Prix - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... Grand_Prix
1967 Canadian Grand Prix - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Canadian_Grand_Prix
Al Pease - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Pease

I was actually hoping Heidelberg leading to Hockenheim leading to Mosport Park but didn't work that way.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

well, fact of the day for me: Nelson Piquet Jr. lives in Heidelberg. Who knew?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:well, fact of the day for me: Nelson Piquet Jr. lives in Heidelberg. Who knew?

Maybe Nelson Piquet Snr?

:lol:
MCard LOLA
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

dr-baker wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:well, fact of the day for me: Nelson Piquet Jr. lives in Heidelberg. Who knew?

Maybe Nelson Piquet Snr?

:lol:

And his postman?..?

I'm particularly taken with the fact that Kelly Piquet is with Daniil Kvyat ...I know its old news, but I just wondered about how they met
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

As we are still in the extended off-season, or is it the summer break, or during the virtual race season, we might continue this for a bit longer, and I may try to be a bit more consistent with giving a new challenge each week. Originally I was giving longer, but most people seem to attempt this in the first week anyway, so that's what it will be.

The original aim was to give a reject from as many different categories as I could think of, beginning with team, driver, engine, tyre (only one reject entry in that list!). I would have continued with reject fuel supplier (hard to ascertain, but I would have chosen Pennzoil, being Lola's fuel supplier, and I believe this was the company's first foray into the sport but I don't know if they have ever returned. And are there any other fuel suppliers that never got good results? Sasol perhaps?), race track (Le Mans Bugatti, India, South Korea, etc.)… But drivers and teams seem to be the more popular options, and there are more to choose from in these particular categories (plus they are the only ones with firm, fixed criteria!).

So this week's challenge is from random page to... my personal favourite, MasterCard Lola.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:As we are still in the extended off-season, or is it the summer break, or during the virtual race season, we might continue this for a bit longer, and I may try to be a bit more consistent with giving a new challenge each week. Originally I was giving longer, but most people seem to attempt this in the first week anyway, so that's what it will be.

The original aim was to give a reject from as many different categories as I could think of, beginning with team, driver, engine, tyre (only one reject entry in that list!). I would have continued with reject fuel supplier (hard to ascertain, but I would have chosen Pennzoil, being Lola's fuel supplier, and I believe this was the company's first foray into the sport but I don't know if they have ever returned. And are there any other fuel suppliers that never got good results? Sasol perhaps?), race track (Le Mans Bugatti, India, South Korea, etc.)… But drivers and teams seem to be the more popular options, and there are more to choose from in these particular categories (plus they are the only ones with firm, fixed criteria!).

So this week's challenge is from random page to... my personal favourite, MasterCard Lola.

It might be the case that it ends up running for a quite long period of time - good to give us something to keep us entertained these days.

As an aside, I have checked and Pennzoil have returned to F1 since then - they have officially been Haas's oil and lubricant supplier since they joined in 2016 (although Shell is still officially Haas's fuel supplier, being the recommended supplier for Ferrari). If you consider that to count, then Pennzoil wouldn't be a reject fuel/oil company.

As for Sasol, that wouldn't count as they were still supplying Jordan in 1994, and Jordan's 194 comfortably passed the threshold to escape reject status. It seems quite hard to find reject fuel suppliers, as several of them have sponsored quite a few teams over the years - but maybe Repsol might be a candidate?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:As an aside, I have checked and Pennzoil have returned to F1 since then - they have officially been Haas's oil and lubricant supplier since they joined in 2016 (although Shell is still officially Haas's fuel supplier, being the recommended supplier for Ferrari). If you consider that to count, then Pennzoil wouldn't be a reject fuel/oil company.

As for Sasol, that wouldn't count as they were still supplying Jordan in 1994, and Jordan's 194 comfortably passed the threshold to escape reject status. It seems quite hard to find reject fuel suppliers, as several of them have sponsored quite a few teams over the years - but maybe Repsol might be a candidate?

Thanks Mario. With folk like you on this forum, I knew I would get a reliable and interesting answer. So with Haas, am I right in understanding that Haas's fuel is actually Pennzoil-branded Shell products? Because when I was trying to research it myself, they are two brands owned by the same company, right?

And Sasol, of course, I should have remembered they were still with Jordan in 1994, hence why I was able to remember them so well!

Repsol - maybe? I know they were associated with Pedro de la Rosa for many years. Looking at the Wikipedia page for the Arrows A20, it looks like Repsol were only title sponsors but the team actually used Elf fuel? So they may never have been suppliers in the sport?
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

1. 1887 Wimbledon Championships – Gentlemen's Singles
2. Ernest Renshaw
3. Berkshire
4. Ayrton Senna
5. Cosworth
6. MasterCard Lola

Another lucky break there. I most certainly didn't know about Senna living in Berkshire for a while.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

dr-baker wrote:Repsol - maybe? I know they were associated with Pedro de la Rosa for many years. Looking at the Wikipedia page for the Arrows A20, it looks like Repsol were only title sponsors but the team actually used Elf fuel? So they may never have been suppliers in the sport?

Jordan was the first to use Repsol fuel in 1998, although i can remember of anyone else has used it since
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

peteroli34 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Repsol - maybe? I know they were associated with Pedro de la Rosa for many years. Looking at the Wikipedia page for the Arrows A20, it looks like Repsol were only title sponsors but the team actually used Elf fuel? So they may never have been suppliers in the sport?

Jordan was the first to use Repsol fuel in 1998, although i can remember of anyone else has used it since

Well, Jordan famously scored a 1-2 in that year's Belgian GP, so I guess that would be enough to unrejectify Repsol as a fuel supplier.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Only had Nuppiz try going from random page to MasterCard Lola... I was going to update this weekly, but I will give this until next weekend for a few others to have a go before naming a new 'target'. It'll probably be a driver next time. But of course, as this is non-competitive at the moment, you can always aim for any of the pages I have already listed.

After all, it is just meant to be a bit of off-season fun...
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Oh sorry i just forgot...

i'll make one right now.

So we start at Ukatny Island https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukatny_Island, theres no better place to start!
Theres little options so i'm going to break the 'no places' rule. We go to the Caspian sea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspian_Sea
To Baku https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku
There we go, Formula 1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One
And formula 1 constructors, oops it redirects to champions only https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... _Champions
Well i guess there were champions in 1997 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Form ... ampionship
And so was another team https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MasterCard_Lola