Unpopular F1 opinions

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
CarlosFerreira

Re: Unpopular F1 opinions

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Warren Hughes wrote:Jaime Alguersuari has genuine potential.

So does Buemi.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

Don't know if it's already been stated, but both Timo Glock and Adrian Sutil could be world champions in the right car.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

The 107 % rule is, even with the new slower teams, absolute BS and who ever brought up introducing it again should forever be banned from having anything at all to do with motorsport *exaggeration*
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Stalling the rear wing? how bout Stalling the engines for a change!!!
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Klon wrote:The 107 % rule is, even with the new slower teams, absolute BS and who ever brought up introducing it again should forever be banned from having anything at all to do with motorsport *exaggeration*

I wouldn't could that as an exaggeration. Jean Todt puts F1 into disrepute.

Vitaly Petrov and Nico Hulkenberg are two of the most underestimated drivers in years.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Warren Hughes wrote:Jaime Alguersuari has genuine potential.

So does Buemi.

Buemi having potential isn't unpopular, lots of people believe that.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

If Chandhok got a superlicense, so should have Sebastien Loeb
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Jordan wrote:If Chandhok got a superlicense, so should have Sebastien Loeb

Chandhok won two races in GP2. I think he's pretty qualified.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

JeanDenisAlcatraz wrote:Don't know if it's already been stated, but both Timo Glock and Adrian Sutil could be world champions in the right car.

Hells yes. I think that last season proved that most people could be world champion in the right car (other than Kazuki Nakajima).
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:
JeanDenisAlcatraz wrote:Don't know if it's already been stated, but both Timo Glock and Adrian Sutil could be world champions in the right car.

Hells yes. I think that 1997 proved that most people could be world champion in the right car (other than Kazuki Nakajima).

Fixed.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

dr-baker wrote:
watka wrote:

Hells yes. I think that 1997 proved that most people could be world champion in the right car (other than Kazuki Nakajima).

Fixed.

:lol:

Nonetheless, I rate both Glock and Sutil highly.
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

dr-baker wrote:
watka wrote:

Hells yes. I think that 1997 proved that most people could be world champion in the right car (other than Heinz-Harald Frentzen).

Fixed.

Double fized!
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
FloProAct

Post by FloProAct »

IdeFan wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
watka wrote:
Hells yes. I think that 1997 proved that most people could be world champion in the right car (other than Heinz-Harald Frentzen).

Fixed.

Double fized!

Whereas 1999 proved he could get far closer in the wrong one!
coops

Post by coops »

Bahrain was an anti-climax and the current rules and regulations could lead to a dull season and Prost, with his FIA money in his back pocket, can claim as much as he wants that things will get better but its not looking promising.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Breandan Hartley looks like a girl. So does Nico Rosberg, and so did nick Heidfeld - even when he had a beard.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

David Coulthard was good enough to be World Champion back in his prime.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

redbulljack14 wrote:David Coulthard was good enough to be World Champion back in his prime.

When was his prime then? 'Cause I thought his 'prime' was during the late 90s, when he had the best car in the field, hence rendering your statement false :lol:

But under different circumstances I'd agree anyway.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Brendan Hartley hangs around outside the Red Bull garage looking like he's just asked someone to go in there to buy some alcohol for him.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
coops

Post by coops »

Gah! If only the FIA had introduced Bernies Medal System then the Bahrain GP would have been ten times more exciting with a tonne of over taking and attempts to win!!!
-Enzo Ferrari
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

F1 would be more exciting if it included four oval races.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
coops

Post by coops »

Cynon wrote:F1 would be more exciting if it included four oval races.

I'D VOTE FOR THAT!

And Rockingham is a great circuit. And using Rockingham would end the annual "SAVE SILVERSTONE, NO, NO LETS USE BRANDS HATCH" nonsense that I personally get bored of.
-Enzo Ferrari
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Rockingham, Eurospeedway Lausitz, Indy, (a resurfaced) Daytona. Simples :D

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rockingham, Eurospeedway Lausitz, Indy, Martinsville! (I love this track on NASCAR console games!)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

dr-baker wrote:Martinsville! (I love this track on NASCAR console games!)

Prepare for broken nosecones and strained necks! (Turning left 400 times is going to cause some serious problems considering the G-force they can pull round the turns compared to NASCAR).

Image Image
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Cynon wrote:F1 would be more exciting if it included four oval races.

Spoken like a true American. I agree wholeheartedly.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

kostas22 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Martinsville! (I love this track on NASCAR console games!)

Prepare for broken nosecones and strained necks! (Turning left 400 times is going to cause some serious problems considering the G-force they can pull round the turns compared to NASCAR).

That will prevent a repeat of Bahrain...
MCard LOLA
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Grounds effects should be taken back to F1 (it's more of a controversial point than an unpopular one).
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Formula one needs the return of steel brakes to replce the carbon composite ones currently in use.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Lausitzring, Rockingham UK, Darlington, and Martinsville on the F1 calendar. What do you say to that?

Formula 1 needs to go to Algarve and needs to go to Russia, Bulgaria, and India.

F1 needs the United States GP more than the United States needs F1.

RAK

Post by RAK »

Cynon wrote:Formula 1 needs to go to Algarve and needs to go to Russia, Bulgaria, and India.

It's already going to India. The proposed track sucks harder than a supercharged Vax.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

As well as going to Eurospeedway Lausitz, Rockingham UK, Indy and Martinsville, F1 also needs the Manx TT track and to visit the Vatican City State. After all we have Monaco and the Hungaroring...
MCard LOLA
coops

Post by coops »

kostas22 wrote:Prepare for broken nosecones and strained necks! (Turning left 400 times is going to cause some serious problems considering the G-force they can pull round the turns compared to NASCAR).

Well? Do they want to get paid or not? T'other week I sprained by shoulder chopping a tree down. No-one cared about me!
-Enzo Ferrari
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

coops wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Prepare for broken nosecones and strained necks! (Turning left 400 times is going to cause some serious problems considering the G-force they can pull round the turns compared to NASCAR).

Well? Do they want to get paid or not?

Well, initially I only suggested Martinsville because I was good at it in games - and it was short. But with this much popularity, somebody should get onto Bernie straightaway! At least there shouldn't be any shortage of pit lane space, considering as how they're used to 43-car fields... And it'll sort out who's good at getting past other cars as everybody will be quickly having to either lap or get lapped by others. And imagine all that dirty turbulent air around the whole track all the time!!! :o :o :o

And at least it would beat going to another Mickey Mouse track, the likes of which we've seen too many of recently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World_Speedway
MCard LOLA
coops

Post by coops »

dr-baker wrote:
coops wrote:

Well? Do they want to get paid or not?

Well, initially I only suggested Martinsville because I was good at it in games - and it was short. But with this much popularity, somebody should get onto Bernie straightaway!

I've always believed the Ovals or Superspeedways (Is there a difference?) should be introduced to the F1 calendar as they are a discipline in themselves, unique as it were. And I recall and interview with DC who thought the same as me.
-Enzo Ferrari
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

coops wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Well, initially I only suggested Martinsville because I was good at it in games - and it was short. But with this much popularity, somebody should get onto Bernie straightaway!

I've always believed the Ovals or Superspeedways (Is there a difference?) should be introduced to the F1 calendar as they are a discipline in themselves, unique as it were. And I recall and interview with DC who thought the same as me.

There is one problem the FIA wouldn't like however - cost.

Millions would be spent developing what would basically be a B-spec car especially for the ovals to achieve much lower levels of drag.

Image Image
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

coops wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
coops wrote:Well? Do they want to get paid or not?

Well, initially I only suggested Martinsville because I was good at it in games - and it was short. But with this much popularity, somebody should get onto Bernie straightaway!

A superspeedway is generally over two miles in length. The only two currently on the schedule are Talladega and Daytona.
coops

Post by coops »

kostas22 wrote:Millions would be spent developing what would basically be a B-spec car especially for the ovals to achieve much lower levels of drag.

Thats quite true but if it worked they'd be happy with the points it earned them. Despite what some F1 team leaders say in public I'm sure they're happy to spend whatever it takes to get points.
-Enzo Ferrari
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

kostas22 wrote:Millions would be spent developing what would basically be a B-spec car especially for the ovals to achieve much lower levels of drag.

Why not introduce a rule that makes teams have to run on ovals with the standard car then?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

dr-baker wrote:And at least it would beat going to another Mickey Mouse track, the likes of which we've seen too many of recently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World_Speedway

Argh! I really hope HWNSNBM does PUNish you! ;)
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Phoenix wrote:

Why not introduce a rule that makes teams have to run on ovals with the standard car then?

Easier said than done. The only way I'd see that working without it being exploited is a blanket ban on modifications throughout the season. And we don't want that, it means whoever wins the first race will automatically win the titie.

Image Image