Unpopular F1 opinions

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Unpopular F1 opinions

Post by Wallio »

AndreaModa wrote:
Wallio wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:I only know the Hulk won Le Man because he's in F1, I couldn't tell you who his co-drivers were without looking it up.
Ask me who the current WEC champs are?

Irrelevant. I know Audi has dominated Le Mans they have only lost 3 times since 2002 I believe, once each to Bentley, Peugeot, and now Porsche (although the EXP Speed 8 was an Audi in drag.....)

But I can name but three of there drivers total: McNish, Pirro, and Christenson. That's it.

Andre Lotterer is displeased with you.

Guilty as charged. I plumb forgot (although I must also admit I missed the background of the whole Lotterer meme here).

To be fair though, how many can you (or others) name? Without wiki-ing it.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Wallio wrote:To be fair though, how many can you (or others) name? Without wiki-ing it.

His teammates Benoit Tréluyer and Marcel Fassler. Earl Bamber and Nick Tandy were the Hulk's teammates this year. Also Frank Biela, Loic Duval and Timo Bernhard. Gené, Wurz and David Brabham from when Peugeot won it. And that's straight off the top of my head.
#FreeGonzo
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Interesting, and I must say impressive.

I do think this goes back to a classic debate I often have with my racing friends: "Do you root for teams (or manufacturers) or drivers? Unlike most Americans I root for the team first, then the driver a far distant second.

F1 (In order):
Red Bull
Manor
Ferrari

Indycar (In Order):
Penske
Ganassi
Andretti

NASCAR (In Order):
Penske
Hendrick
Stewart-Haas

NHRA (In Order):
DSR
Jim Dunn Motorsports

Sports Cars (In Order):
Corvette Racing
Risi

Global Rallycross:
Andretti

I could go on. To me its the teams and manufacturers that make it for me. The driver gets largely forgotten. Like for example, I know there was a good 30 year period in F1 where every Champion was from the "Big 4". and I could probably name (most of) the WCCs. But the drivers? I'd need help, especially in the 80s.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Simtek wrote:
Wallio wrote:To be fair though, how many can you (or others) name? Without wiki-ing it.

His teammates Benoit Tréluyer and Marcel Fassler. Earl Bamber and Nick Tandy were the Hulk's teammates this year. Also Frank Biela, Loic Duval and Timo Bernhard. Gené, Wurz and David Brabham from when Peugeot won it. And that's straight off the top of my head.

Impressive :roll:
girry

Post by girry »

Wallio wrote:Indycar (In Order):
Penske
Ganassi
Andretti.

That's rather bold to admit on GPRejects. *appreciative applause*
when you're dead people start listening
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

giraurd wrote:
Wallio wrote:Indycar (In Order):
Penske
Ganassi
Andretti.

That's rather bold to admit on GPRejects. *appreciative applause*

I generally root for Penske whereever he runs. I just like him and his history. It made it interesting when he ran the Porsche in ALMS, as I generally dislike that marque, but seeing them mix it up with the Audis was fun.

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Simtek wrote:

Well yeah quite unusual to see you remember more teams than driver.

For me, every driver who drives and have driven for Ferrari I will support them. Even Eddie Irvine
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

With the impending US GP coming up I thought I'd point out that I miss the races at Indianapolis. It's a shame we don't still go there, even though Austin is great, F1 being at Indianapolis seemed, um, right.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

That opinion's definitely not unpopular with me! The infield circuit was cool, and I like how they mixed that banked final turn with a regular track - some variety I think the current calendar could desperately use - and I can recall some damn good races happening there ('03 and '06 spring to mind).
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:With the impending US GP coming up I thought I'd point out that I miss the races at Indianapolis. It's a shame we don't still go there, even though Austin is great, F1 being at Indianapolis seemed, um, right.

The infield circuit has always struck me as a messy and clumsy compromise enforced by the fact that they could not have any variation in the elevation of the corners, taking away one potential aspect to make a corner more challenging or interesting. Furthermore, due to the constraints imposed by having to work within the boundaries of an existing track, you couldn't really have many long sweeping bends or an extended fast complex of corners - instead, the main options boiled down to tight slow speed corners.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Rob Dylan wrote:That opinion's definitely not unpopular with me! The infield circuit was cool, and I like how they mixed that banked final turn with a regular track - some variety I think the current calendar could desperately use - and I can recall some damn good races happening there ('03 and '06 spring to mind).

And one "event" which could easily be the most rejectful thing ever
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

WeirdKerr wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:That opinion's definitely not unpopular with me! The infield circuit was cool, and I like how they mixed that banked final turn with a regular track - some variety I think the current calendar could desperately use - and I can recall some damn good races happening there ('03 and '06 spring to mind).

Yeah, Coulthard's race in '03 was tragically bad :deletraz:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Rob Dylan wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:

Yeah, Coulthard's race in '03 was tragically bad :deletraz:

Not as tragic as poor Monty's GP.

I agree, Indianapolis is arguably the single-seater-racing capital of the US, much like Silverstone is the single-seater-racing capital of Great Britain. COTA has thrown up 3 decent races out of 3 so far, but it won't give me the same feeling that the Brickyard did.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Part of me agrees re. Indianapolis, another part of me felt weird seeing a race there that wasn't the Indy 500. Although of course that horse had long since bolted with the NASCAR race there.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CoopsII wrote:With the impending US GP coming up I thought I'd point out that I miss the races at Indianapolis. It's a shame we don't still go there, even though Austin is great, F1 being at Indianapolis seemed, um, right.

We got some very good racing there, 2003 and 2004 in particular were great. 2004 providing us with one legendary moment.

I think it helped that they seemed completely suited to the ultra high-speed cars of that time, I honestly can't envision today's cars speeding through the banking.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Frankly I don't miss Indy at all. IndyCar's Indy GP layout is better anyway. And Austin is great for F1, as far as I'm concerned.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Salamander wrote:Frankly I don't miss Indy at all. IndyCar's Indy GP layout is better anyway. And Austin is great for F1, as far as I'm concerned.

+1 Indy should be for the Indy 500 and nothing else personally. And I quite like the Austin track.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I'll agree with this, as long as long as that "three-hairpin-in-a-row" BS at the end is taken out.

Overall though, when it came to the Indy GPs, I liked it for a few reasons:

1.) Indy is the RACING capital of the US (not just single seaters), NHRA's biggest race is there, and ESPN has said before, that the first Brickyard 400 was the race that made NASCAR look more like a legitimate series and less like the pre-1994 Southern regional hobby it was.

2.) The lack of elevation was boring, but it also made it a bit more of a challenge IMO. This is just going by my experience in sims, but each corner looks the same, so its difficult to accurately judge entry speed, at least to me anyway.

3.) As I have said many times before, it was considered an "ultra-low downforce" circuit, like Monza, and F1 desperately needs more of those. When Indy and the old Hockenheim were still around, teams had to design low drag packages. Now they don't.

Austin is a great track no question, and deserves a GP. But if Bernie gets his way and adds a second US race, I personally think it should be in Indy.

LolLola

Post by LolLola »

Salamander wrote:Frankly I don't miss Indy at all. IndyCar's Indy GP layout is better anyway. And Austin is great for F1, as far as I'm concerned.

Not by missing the south banking, Austin is just good at the esses, the rest is carbon copy of Tilke's (and FIA's) shitty heritage. Also to mention the ocean of asphalt
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

LolLola wrote:

Not by missing the south banking, Austin is just good at the esses, the rest is carbon copy of Tilke's (and FIA's) shitty heritage. Also to mention the ocean of asphalt

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.
Everything's great.
LolLola

Post by LolLola »

Salamander wrote:
LolLola wrote:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.

So you do
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

The new Mexico City track layout is far better than the old Monza-clone layout that it used to be.
Everything's great.
girry

Post by girry »

ummm...."Monza-clone"? Does two long straights, and nothing else even remotely reminiscent of Monza, constitute a "Monza-clone"?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

giraurd wrote:ummm...."Monza-clone"? Does two long straights, and nothing else even remotely reminiscent of Monza, constitute a "Monza-clone"?

Don't forget the Parabolica-knockoff connecting those straights.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

giraurd wrote:ummm...."Monza-clone"? Does two long straights, and nothing else even remotely reminiscent of Monza, constitute a "Monza-clone"?

Long straights, chicanes, and Peraltada and Parabolica were/are fairly similar. It's not really a clone, obviously, but as close as you're going to get.
Everything's great.
girry

Post by girry »

Yeah - but Parabolica is more stop-start than the long Peraltada, and Mexico City's old profile also had the never ending esses. That made it so much more an aero grip track than a power track that I don't think those two tracks are even in the same ballpark. It was more of a Silverstone "clone" if you ask me.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I liked the old track, because it offered up something a bit different, and went alongside Monza and the old Hockenheim as decent power tracks, which we're sorely lacking these days to balance out the rest.

That said, I also like the new track. At first sight I was very sceptical of the stadium layout, but after seeing it in action, it's a masterstroke. I'd be surprised if we don't see something similar (maybe not on that scale) at a track redevelopment or new build in the future. It's just a shame the track through that section is a bit mickey mouse. Overall though, a massively valuable addition to the calendar. I was thinking during the race, "why has F1 been away from Mexico for so long?!"
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

AndreaModa wrote:I liked the old track, because it offered up something a bit different, and went alongside Monza and the old Hockenheim as decent power tracks, which we're sorely lacking these days to balance out the rest.

That said, I also like the new track. At first sight I was very sceptical of the stadium layout, but after seeing it in action, it's a masterstroke. I'd be surprised if we don't see something similar (maybe not on that scale) at a track redevelopment or new build in the future. It's just a shame the track through that section is a bit mickey mouse. Overall though, a massively valuable addition to the calendar. I was thinking during the race, "why has F1 been away from Mexico for so long?!"

I agree with you. The stadium bit looked awful in Champ Car, and looked awful last year, but with the fans inside it was fairly awesome.

Shame about the Peraltada... maybe they should recreate it on a different section of the track?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Interlagos should be held in the same high esteem as the other grandee circuits such as Monza et al.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:Interlagos should be held in the same high esteem as the other grandee circuits such as Monza et al.

Not unpopular with me.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

CoopsII wrote:Interlagos should be held in the same high esteem as the other grandee circuits such as Monza et al.

I don't even have Monza in my list of legendary tracks. Monaco, Spa, and Suzuka are the only ones as far as I'm concerned.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

I don't even have Monza in my list of legendary tracks. Monaco, Spa, and Suzuka are the only ones as far as I'm concerned.

Yup. Monaco, Spa and Suzuka as the legendary ones.

Silverstone, Monza, Montreal and Interlagos in the tier below. I'd add Melbourne too, but that may be up for debate.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

FullMetalJack wrote: I'd add Melbourne too, but that may be up for debate.

It's difficult for Melbourne because, despite us going there for twenty years, it hasn't had it's fair share of Big Moments compared to Adelaide due to it being at one end of the calendar and Adelaide being at the other. No title showdowns in March, is there? However, I think it has given us some great races so it's definitely up there for me.
Just For One Day...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CoopsII wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote: I'd add Melbourne too, but that may be up for debate.

It's difficult for Melbourne because, despite us going there for twenty years, it hasn't had it's fair share of Big Moments compared to Adelaide due to it being at one end of the calendar and Adelaide being at the other. No title showdowns in March, is there? However, I think it has given us some great races so it's definitely up there for me.

That's my thinking behind it. But i'd never put it at the end of the F1 calendar, it's such a great season opener.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

FullMetalJack wrote:That's my thinking behind it. But i'd never put it at the end of the F1 calendar, it's such a great season opener.

I agree that Melbourne is a great opening track, but do any of us actually know why we feel that way? It's even more feely than something like the flow of a circuit.

More interesting for me is the closing round: I know a lot of people like Suzuka as the last track, but personally I think Interlagos is better. It's epic enough on its own to make a title-decider that much better, but not so good that I want it to be in the middle so I can just enjoy the track; this is my main problem with a high-speed-themed track like Suzuka being the final round. Also, the short length and sort of Magny-Cours-style "packedness" gives Interlagos an "arena" feel if you squint, which is perfect for a final round.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Brazil has one hell of an atmosphere which makes it so good as the final round. Same with Suzuka, although I personally prefer the Interlagos track itself. Melbourne is a great track and is a great season-opener track, however it doesn't have that rabid audience who shout manically at everything going on which makes the first two tracks so special at closing a season :D
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The fact it isn't by some would surprise me greatly. I assumed this was already widely accepted to be the case.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Most of these traditional circuits needs to be removed from F1. This year proved once more Monza and Monaco circuits are failing in producing good races. Interlagos only have good races with rain. The races in dry conditions were boring, like in this year, 2014, 2013, 2011 and 2010. Silverstone is much more a miss than a hit.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Well, there you go Biscuittione. Enjoy the surprise.
Just For One Day...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Not sure if my thinking is clouded by the tragic absence of a French GP but I always liked Magny-Cours.
I also respect the French for standing up to the Greedy Martinet.