Reject (or not) track design.

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dr-baker

Re: Reject (or not) track design.

Post by dr-baker »

AustralianStig wrote:So I just discovered you can purchase a semi-glossy poster of this pretty cheaply. I just ordered an A0 size (which is gonna be dammmn big) and including postage it was less than $50.

You can order them here: http://www.redbubble.com/people/sirdunn ... d-labelled

I'll be sure to post a picture once I've framed it and hung it on my wall!

That is pretty damn cool.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dr-baker wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:So I just discovered you can purchase a semi-glossy poster of this pretty cheaply. I just ordered an A0 size (which is gonna be dammmn big) and including postage it was less than $50.

You can order them here: http://www.redbubble.com/people/sirdunn ... d-labelled

I'll be sure to post a picture once I've framed it and hung it on my wall!

That is pretty damn cool.

Lol at AVUS.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
nome66

Post by nome66 »

i really do wish that layout were on one magical island or some sort of country.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

A track designed near where I live, suitable for F1 cars from the 50s and 60s, provided they can go down bumpy back roads through the bog. :P
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6519722
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Minecraft pig racing, because horses never captured my heart. Presented roughly in the order I made them.

The first three turns were ripped off from Catalunya. The double hairpin is definitely the hardest part.

This one looks hard, but it isn't. The chicane is easily straightlined, and the upper right corners are actually quite easy once you learn them.

Only the hairpin is actually a challenge, but there's a nice flow to the track. Like some of the others, the pole grid slot is implied to be on the start line, but this looks terrible and I don't do it anymore.

Like the previous one, it's more flowy than challenging.

Anticlockwise. The Nouvelle-looking complex is very difficult.

It's an oval.

To be honest, this one's a little tedious even for a cube-based game.

What if Melbourne was actually shaped like the Albert Park lake? This is the concept I abandoned halfway through.

And this is when I came up with soul sand runoff. The chicane and hairpin in the upper part are the big challenges.

It's a dirt oval.

Making scenery for one corner just made the rest of the track look worse. Oh well, it's a good layout. Instead of one or two really hard ones, it turned out to have a lot of moderately difficult corners, mainly because it's narrow.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

What you need to do now is build a circuit with a few elevation changes. Maybe a miniature Spa-Francorchamps, or any circuit where it's possible to put a pig-related pun in the title...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
UncreativeUsername37

dinizintheoven wrote:What you need to do now is build a circuit with a few elevation changes. Maybe a miniature Spa-Francorchamps, or any circuit where it's possible to put a pig-related pun in the title...

There are no raw stone slabs or even stairs, so I'd have to use cobble if I didn't want it to look bad. Which isn't that big a deal since it's what I use for normal roads, but the smooth stone looks so... racetracky is all.

I wouldn't do a mini-Spa-Francorchamps, at least for the first one I did, since the last one is inspired by the old Spa. Obviously it's not meant to be a copy since sweeping corners would be boring; it's a sort of Tilkefied version, perhaps. You can see it in the general shape of each corner once you're told. Probably, since this is the first time I've told anyone.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

I'll have to have a go at making these pig-racing tracks once I complete my current long-term building project, which is a Speed Racer inspired racetrack (so far I have only done the last corner and the start straight). I shall have screenshots of what I have currently done tomorrow, most likely :P
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
UncreativeUsername37

I figured the best way to show off elevation change would be a Suzuka ripoff.

More pictures here
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

You could always adapt the oval (fourth circuit down) that looks to be based on Indianapolis' rejectful road course, with stone bricks - complete with slabs and stairs - to have a real Brickyard, complete with slightly banked corners.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
TheFlyingCaterham

Here's my first attempt at making a Pig Racing circuit on Minecraft:
It is a semi-permanent race circuit with the track going through the nearby village and out into the surrounding fields. The main layout has 15 corners, and includes 3 variations along the way, and also a short circuit that goes to the left of the well, unlike the main track that turns right. Track direction is anti-clockwise

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
UncreativeUsername37

The kerbs make it look cutely beginnery and pretty at the same time. It looks like they're flat, though, which ruins the point of the slabs which is to make sure you don't cut a corner. The layout itself definitely looks like a good time, how you managed to make tight complicated corners but give the track a flow as well.
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

My Marina Del Rey effort in Los Angeles

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6585492

I've designed it so part of the actual marina is the paddock too, only a few new roads would need to be built.
UncreativeUsername37

UncreativeUsername37

can anyone make a rally track with all the bridges in this area? thanks
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:can anyone make a rally track with all the bridges in this area? thanks

I see what you (presumably) did there ;)
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

I've got another batch of pig racing tracks to show off, four kart circuits and eight full-size.

The complex in the upper left is tough, but otherwise, I hope you're good with square corners. Which you should be if you've been practicing this sort of thing.

With the first part with all the quick changes of direction and the two hairpins, this is a pretty difficult track. Still not that much to say, it is just a little thing, but it's really good.

It's an indoor track, but outdoors. Why not?

The chicane doesn't leave any room for error, with the hairpin not too easy either. It's a fun track in spite of how blatantly artificial it is.

It's just an oval. This is the only pure oval in here, and obviously it's not much. I should make a triangle sometime....

I wanted to make something that felt a bit more natural than what I usually do, so I made a little hill (sort of) and built a circuit around it. You have to pay attention for the hairpin and the chicane, but it's not that bad.

The esses are the most fun part, the chicane is the most difficult part. The original idea was to base a track on the shape of France, and it's very stretched and dented, but you can still sort of see it....

It's a roval, but the road course is on the outside this time. Needs a few more corners or some elevation, it's a bit too simple, really.

This one is narrow, it's hilly, and you never get a break. A lot of the corners seem tough when you first try them, but have some trick that makes them easier. Not to say it is easy....

This is a nice little place, really pleasant atmosphere. The complex at the end is the hard bit, but it's all enjoyable, and for such a small circuit there's plenty of variety.

I'm probably the only fan track maker ever to be inspired by Korea. The place is meant to be a test track, with sectors for power, downforce, and grip. Of course, on pigs that doesn't mean anything, but at least it results in a diverse group of corners.

Not many barriers, just you and the sand dunes. There are a few high-speed "corners", which don't really exist since you're riding a pig, but mostly the track is about various chicanes. It's the atmosphere of the old Zandvoort crossed with Bahrain with the skill set of Gilles Villeneuve. Or something like that.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Minecraft pig racing, because horses never captured my heart. Presented roughly in the order I made them.

To be honest, this one's a little tedious even for a cube-based game.

*sees flashbacks of Gamechap & Bertie with their (Bertie's really) explosive shenanigans with the village being destroyed* "I say!"
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
TheFlyingCaterham

Have you tried making a circuit on a normal world yet? More elevation changes and other natural occurances make for a potentially more interesting circuit. I'm building one of them at the moment. Has a lot of layouts and decent elevation changes as well as somewhat realistic runoff. Parts of the track itself would probably be too dangerous for modern motor racing but whatever. I'll post some screenshots of it when I get the chance.

UncreativeUsername37

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Have you tried making a circuit on a normal world yet? More elevation changes and other natural occurances make for a potentially more interesting circuit. I'm building one of them at the moment. Has a lot of layouts and decent elevation changes as well as somewhat realistic runoff. Parts of the track itself would probably be too dangerous for modern motor racing but whatever. I'll post some screenshots of it when I get the chance.

I haven't. I find that when I try to build the kinds of things I do in superflat worlds in a normal arena, there's either not enough space to make anything that's interesting without destroying the place and ruining the point, or there's too much space so it might as well be in a flat world. I haven't specifically tried a pig track, though....
TheFlyingCaterham

The Autodromo Internacional de Benguela in Angola.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=576175

I kept the original layout of the circuit, but added a few extra features, such as a new paddock area, a sort of club circuit around the original paddock, a chicane on the back straight similar to the Variante Rettfilo in Monza, a couple of other shorter routes, and an extension to the north of the circuit.

The main circuit focuses on top speed and keeping momentum through the several long sweepers featured on the circuit.

Also I've finished building the Minecraft racetrack I mentioned earlier, and I'll upload some screenshots of it when I get around to doing it. I'll leave a preview of it though which I had already previously uploaded.

UncreativeUsername37

Doing a bunch of different layouts in a pedometer thing... that was pretty cool. And so were, you know, the actual layouts. If only I had the power to build random racetracks everywhere in the world.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

The further thought occurs that you could use soul sand for gravel traps, instead of gravel - it'll slow your racing pigs down and stop them from going splat into a barrier and dropping raw bacon everywhere.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Someone on Joe Saward's blog suggested that when F1 decided to have a race in New Jersey, apart from the Port Imperial track that was selected, there was another proposal for a race in Liberty State Park. I got intrigued and figured I'd see what kind of track I could come up with on those premises.

This is what I managed: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7018013

A 5.7 km circuit. What do you think? It's mostly fast flowing, but with a few pesky 90 degree corners.

I think the new commercial rights holder would be pleased to have a race in that spot, since they share the same name, so it's like free promotion :D
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Waris

Post by Waris »

Here, I made one in Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn for the heck of it too: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7018014

4.9km. I like this one better. It looks a little bit like Silverstone, which makes sense considering they're both airfields.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
TheFlyingCaterham

I was messing around in GT6 this morning and ended up creating a couple of impromptu rallycross circuits on Willow Springs. Might be fun to try some actual races on them sometime.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=614850
http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=614851 (I'm a little indecisive of the start/finish area in general, though they both would probably remain around that area if I were to do any recisions to the layout)

TheFlyingCaterham

Pardon the double post, but as there's been two months since I made the previous post it should be fine.

Made a slight revision to the original (and therefore best) Charade circuit, to make it more suitable for modern championships. The layout has been kept mainly the same, with the occasional chicane for safety reasons, but I think I've made them interesting enough. The main changes, however, would be vastly increased runoff in places, and a general widening of the course. It would probably require a decent amount of earthworks but because of F1 monies it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=634835 (The layout itself)
http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=634832 (Runoff areas)

EDIT: I've also been messing around with making rallycross circuits for the last couple of months, and decided to post some I made recently (since I didn't bother saving my other ones).

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=635197
A course at Spa-Francorchamps, incorporating the old l'Ancienne Douanne loop, along with a new dirt section in the adjacent forest and Radillon. Backwards.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=635422
A modification to the Mettet rallycross circuit, which adds an infield section to the course, while straightening out some of the "chicanes" on the course, as I feel those sections remove some of the flow to the circuit, plus they annoy me. I've also drawn the circuit in a different style, in which I define the track limits, not just the layout. With this style it is easier to define the width of the course and some of the corners, but means I'm not quite sure what the circuit length is.

TheFlyingCaterham

With a concept layout of the proposed Grand Prix in Miami now revealed to the world it seems only natural for me to make my own layouts around the area.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=685539: A design that I made a couple of days before the concept layout was revealed, which winds through the Bayfront and Bicentennial Parks in which both CART and IMSA used to race at.

http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=685974: A design more based off of the concept layout, which includes sections in both Port Miami and around the arena, trying to get rid of the problems I see in the concept layout (or at least, problems that can actually be fixed going off this base design).

UncreativeUsername37

I've made a lot of pedometer circuits, and I thought I'd show you my favourite ones ever that are reasonably safe and have space for garages, made into a schedule.

1. Anguillan Grand Prix – Anguillan Grand Prix Circuit
I don't actually remember whether I won the round I entered with this, but that doesn't matter. With a few different types of corner, plenty of runoff, and multiple good overtaking spots, it's a nice place to start the season.

2. Algerian Grand Prix – Circuit Aéroport de Tamanrasset - Aguenar Hadj Bey Akhamokh
The name of the occasional pre-war race is back with this simple airport circuit. The western corner is much talked about in the alternate universe where this series exists, but flow is retained throughout the whole track without things getting easy or repetitive.

3. Djiboutian Grand Prix – Djibouti Grand Prix Circuit No. 2
The heat is intense, but at least the drivers won't be very taxed mentally; there are only six or seven corners worth worrying about in five kilometres. It's all about good braking, good exits, and depending on the car, slipstreaming tactics. And going through the western corner with all that wing trimmed out makes you feel alive.

4. Iranian Grand Prix - Shahrake Mahdi Circuit
So we had to close down a bit of a major road, but it's economically worth it for the city to host this race. Probably. Like the previous race, there's usually a good amount of switchbacks and slipstreaming to watch, especially along the long back straight which is somehow also the pit straight. But on this track, the corners have radii.

5. Polish Grand Prix – Tor Ponetów Górny Drugi
This track is narrow roads and long, fast corners with a few slower ones that still have a flow. It feels slightly Reims-like, although you won't be spending as much time on straights. Driving this race is 86 laps of thrills. Watching it, well, it can be a bit spread out sometimes. But you won't get sick of watching cars around here easily.

6. Monégasque Prix d'Or – Monaco: the Director's Cut
Ever heard of Casino Chicane, Crazy Mirabeau, Fontaine du Portier, or the Theatre chicane? Check 'em out.

7. Brisbane Prix d'Or – Brisbane ePrix Circuit
Now this one I do remember entering with and not winning. Anyway, FE is heading to London next year instead, but this track won't be forgotten. You've got a couple corners that clearly wish they were faster than they were, a couple actual fast corners, a couple hairpins, a chicane, and one really complicated corner that years later I love just as much. Also, for the second time this season, the pits are around the back.

8. Danish Grand Prix – Horsens Harbour
Win this race and join Jack Brabham, Stirling Moss, and best of all Jac Nellemann. Angular corners of several different angles, some in a twisty section and some after a long braking zone, leave little room for error and lots of room for overtaking.

9. Latvian Grand Prix – Streets of Rezekne
A sinuous sequence that looks purpose-built, a couple long straights ending in almost-square corners, and the greatest roundabout chicane you'll ever see. Simple but great.

10. Bathurst 350 – Nguiu Circuit
This track's corners are just too awesome and too varied to summarise it. We had to get rid of a few trees, but it was worth it.

11. Ni-Vanuatu Grand Prix – Circuit Luganville
Do you like medium-slow corners? Corners that might or might not be flat depending on the car? Straights that are longer than they really should be? I do.

12. Malagasy Grand Prix – Circuit d'Antananarivo
There's a support race around the oval to enjoy before the main event, which takes a right at turn 2—though mind the roundabout jutting out from the left—before going around Lac Anosy. The many medium-speed corners feel fast because of the short braking zones, and you could compare the track to the Hungaroring.

13. Cameroonian Grand Prix – Circuit Douala
Several long corners, a single slow one, and elevation changes that actually affect the way you take some of them. This one isn't too complicated, it just wants you to have fun. The heat isn't great, but it isn't as bad as Singapore.

14. Southern African Grand Prix – Kazungula Circuit
Do you like tri-country circuits? Of course you do. But how about four countries? How about corners that are almost the same radius but still all feel different? How about long straights and short braking zones for lots of tension-filled overtaking attempts? How about four bridges, totalling over a kilometre of bridge? Sounds good to me.

15. Argentine Grand Prix – Uruguay River Circuit
Oh, look, it's a normal racetrack and it's not 25 degrees out. Seriously, this is just a normal, Argentine-inspired racetrack. Couple hairpins, a few fast angular corners, one relatively long one with a kink before it. Put your name alongside Fangio, Stewart, Andretti, and Michael Schumacher. Make a crucial overtake in the penultimate race of the season. It's just a normal but nice track.

16. United States Prix d'Or – Golden Gate Park
Like Mexico, we had to sacrifice a baseball park to motorsport to bring you this layout. A few square or almost-square corners accompany a few fast sweeps, topped off by the complicated challenges in the northeast section, which includes the deceptively named McLaren corner. The walls are everywhere. Passing isn't easy but isn't hard. No matter how you set up the car, you're going to be losing out somewhere. And it's in a great city which is in a rich country. It'd a great place to have the finale of this series if it existed.