Reject (or not) track design.

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
nome66

Re: Reject (or not) track design.

Post by nome66 »

that's the original Imola circuit you've made there
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

nome66 wrote:that's the original Imola circuit you've made there

I may have made the track similar to the original, but if you look closely, I tightened Tamburello to become a medium speed corner and moved the track inwards. Asides from that, the track is mostly original.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
I forti sopravivono

Post by I forti sopravivono »

My dad told me there were plans to make an F1 circuit in Limburg, the Netherlands. only to be canceled after protests by treehuggers and people living nearby.
It would be located on the place where nowadays Circuit "De Peel" is: an oval for stockcar racing.

So I decided to design an f1 track with start-finish on the existing oval.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=5910550
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I forti sopravivono wrote:My dad told me there were plans to make an F1 circuit in Limburg, the Netherlands. only to be canceled after protests by treehuggers and people living nearby.
It would be located on the place where nowadays Circuit "De Peel" is: an oval for stockcar racing.

So I decided to design an f1 track with start-finish on the existing oval.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=5910550

Obviously the real reason they didn't do it is so they wouldn't reveal the intriguing mysteries of De Peel Air Base!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
UncreativeUsername37

I went on gmap-pedometer to make a cool street circuit, but I made this instead.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:I went on gmap-pedometer to make a cool street circuit, but I made this instead.

Better than the current Hockenheim in my opinion :P

Some more tracks for you guys:

A reject redesign of a good track, Sao Paulo!

Horrid redesign of Suzuka!

Spa will never look the same again :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I have been working on this in my spare time,and boy am I proud of it.Featuring detail that you can't do on GMaps Pedometer this is:

Kansas City Raceway

Featuring details from pit lane to parking lots to grandstands,this is probably my most detailed track I have ever created...in the middle of a supermassive parking lot.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
UncreativeUsername37

WaffleCat wrote:I have been working on this in my spare time,and boy am I proud of it.Featuring detail that you can't do on GMaps Pedometer this is:

Kansas City Raceway

Featuring details from pit lane to parking lots to grandstands,this is probably my most detailed track I have ever created...in the middle of a supermassive parking lot.

It sure beats the hundreds of two-minute gmap-pedometer circuits I haven't released....
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

WaffleCat wrote:I have been working on this in my spare time,and boy am I proud of it.Featuring detail that you can't do on GMaps Pedometer this is:

Kansas City Raceway

That thing is just awesome. Nothing else to say.

I'm continuing my series of reject tracks:

Fuji redesign!

A track between the villages of Stavelot and Masta using part of the old Spa

New Jersey is made worse than it is!

What do you think?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

I'm even more bored than I have been, so I'm going to make a few more tracks here:

Why bother? :lol:

New England Targa Florio!

Again, why bother? :lol:
It looks like a screwed up fish...

A few km down the road from Lime Rock, we find the Edsel Ford Memorial Course!
Yet Edsel never lived near Lime Rock...

Ok now, what have you done?! :x
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

UncreativeUsername37

Making tracks on my keyboard (I'm using QWERTY):
vbnmklpoijhytrewqazxc
vcxzaq234567890oiuhnb
UncreativeUsername37

Imola: Maximum Flow Edition
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6085601
UncreativeUsername37

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Mosport reimagined:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6162023

For some reason, the map was in Lyon and there was nothing over Mosport which I think is a bit odd on the websites part
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

roblomas52 wrote:

For some reason, the map was in Lyon and there was nothing over Mosport which I think is a bit odd on the websites part

The Rhône river doesn't look unlike Mosport Park though!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
UncreativeUsername37

watka wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

The Rhône river doesn't look unlike Mosport Park though!

Well, yes, that's the joke.
UncreativeUsername37

I'd just like you all to know that, for two handicap races in the 1930s, this actually happened.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:I'd just like you all to know that, for two handicap races in the 1930s, this actually happened.

What would an F1 race be like on a track like that?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

nome66

Post by nome66 »

follow the leader or(depending of the length of the straights) a draft session
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
UncreativeUsername37

Not sure where to put this, but oh well. So I fired up F1 Challenge, got in the 1999 Minardi, and did a few laps on every track... backwards. Here are my thoughts.

Melbourne
The final turn is surprisingly easy, or at least easy to not screw up. The penultimate turn is an easy but fun apex-clipper. The next two corners are also easier then before, particularly Ascari. The new first turn of high-speed chicane is much like the old one, but the new second part is now easy flat. The Clark chicane is just a pointy thing with a curved braking zone, nothing too unusual. Turn 6 feels like it turns a lot more degrees than it does forwards. Turn 4 is scary with the amount of runoff you get, and turns 1 and 2 are much like the Clark chicane. Overall not as fun.

Interlagos
Juncao really sneaks up on you. Once you learn where to brake, it's not so frustrating, though. Mergulho is a set-up corner—it's a lot like turn one at Watkins Glen in GPL, if you've experienced that—into whatever that hairpin is called, which still feels like a hairpin. The other hairpin also still feels like a hairpin, and I was never able to nail turns 7 and 6. Always ended up taking a wide line. Turn 5 is flat but you brake right after it, and Curva do Sol doesn't actually provide challenging curved braking for turn 2, just easy curved braking. Like Melbourne, it's still fun but not as much.

Imola
There's no brake marker for the last/first chicane. You just have to guess and hope you don't end up on the grass. Rivazza feels much like it does forwards. Forwards Alta is impossible on a keyboard (or maye I'm just bad at it—what do you think, AndreaModa?), but here it's sort of doable. It feels a bit like the normal version, but different in some weird way. Maybe it's just slower. Acque Minerale is the highlight, with a hill blocking your view of the corner until you're already in it. You just have to know where to brake and where and how hard to turn in. Turn 7 is a decreasing-radius thing, Tosa is pretty generic, Villeneuve is much more generic than it is forwards, and Tamburello is just as generic as it is forwards.

Monaco
It's narrow and unforgiving and pointy, but it's not as memorable as it is forwards. It's just a pointy thing, then a pointy thing, then a pointy thing... it's a good thing the real version is clockwise.

Cataluna
The last corner is a fun sweeping thing, as is the penultimate. La Caixa and that corner before it that's tighter now have that "um where the bath**** is the line" feel that that section of CotA has. Campsa is fun and sweeping just like it is anyway, and that chicane before it now feels a bit like Villeneuve at forwards Imola. Turn 5 is a corner and there's not much to say about it, stay on the outside of turn 4 then cut in to the apex, turn 3 is easy, and turns 2 and 1 are a chicane. For some reason, the short straight after/before turns 1 and 2, and the chicane itself, have that quaint lower series feel when they're done backwards.

CGV
It's boring. You know how forwards, this track is really fun? Well, backwards it's boring. It's a boring 90-degree flow-stopping tight chicane, a hairpin, the same corner twice, another chicane, and then some corners that are maybe a little interesting but it doesn't save it.

Magny-Cours
The final corner isn't remarkable, but it's not boring to drive either. The chicane right before it feels even less necessary. Imola drives similarly but a bit quicker. The Adelaide hairpin has a little green kerb on the entry/now exit that you never knew about before but will appreciate now. It's a better track forwards.

Silverstone
The short braking zones into slow or high but not medium-speed corners are still here. The Abbey chicane feels like it shouldn't be there, it breaks up the flow. You really want to come onto a long straight out of Bridge in this direction, but you don't. Becketts coming before Maggotts takes a few laps to get used to.

A1-Ring
The second funnest track. Except for the first corner which could be a bit less tight, it flows really well. Not just in the sense that there are no corners to break it, like the old Spa (or a lot like Suzuka, but just a bit more like the old Spa) where you can feel the flow as you drive. Corner-by-corner, the last one is a tight thing after a long straight with not much character, and the penultimate turn isn't challenging anymore. But it gets better. Going over that hill in reverse puts you on some other plane of happiness—seriously, if you have F1C or any other thing about that era, try it yourself afterwards—and then the two infield corners are really good. They're easier than they are normally, but going through them just feels really good. Like I said, it's that "flow" feel. Picking out a braking point for turn 3 is tricky, then the first two turns don't change much, although they don't have that really fun uphill braking.

Hockenheimring
It's like itself but with curved braking zones. Seriously.

Hungaroring
Another one that's just like it already is. It feels a bit faster for some reason, though. The chicane of 6 and 7 really comes up on you, though that's probably just because I'm not used to it. Turn 4 isn't as fun, and it's easy to brake too late for turn 2.

Spa-Francorchamps
Come out of La Source, the last corner once again, into the curved braking of the Bus Stop. Negotiate the first chicane, then the tighter second one. Keep the steering lock to a minimum through Blanchimont for the best run down to the high-speed Paul Frere, then brake again right afterwards for Stavelot. Fagnes is sort of like turns 1/2 or 9/10 at Melbourne but faster. Sort of. Go through the first apex of Pouhon flat, then let off the throttle—don't brake—as you roll through the second. Try not to admire the hill directly in front of you at the corner after Pouhon, which sadly doesn't have a slightly weird entry anymore, then go through the much easier to brake for Rivage. Les Combes is more straightforward then you would think a backwards Les Combes is, but make sure to use just the right amount of kerb and put in just the right amount of steering out of the final corner for the long, long Kemmel straight. As you go down the straight, psyche yourself up for the most dramatic corner in the entire world ever, backwards Eau Rouge. You know that wall to the left of the old entry? You know how it goes perpendicular to the track? You might want to lift a bit is all I'm saying. So either lift and be a little scared as you go through the corner or don't lift and be a lot scared—I never took it flat successfully myself, the visibility of the corner not helping—and run down to La Source, then inevitably brake too early because there are no signs in this direction. This circuit does what the A1-Ring just fails to do in making you feel the "flow" aura around you the entire lap. It's the best circuit on the calendar, both forwards and backwards.

Monza
Parabolica is a lot like turn 4 at Catalunya. Ascari feels more generic. The Lesmos aren't quite as flowy, but they're still fun. It's easy to brake too late for Della Roggia and Rettifilo.

GP-Strecke
I felt nothing whilst driving this track. Not excitement, not boredom, not fascination, not frustration. Coca-Cola is an okay corner, Veedol is an okay corner, the Bit-Kurve has gone from really fun to an okay corner, the turn before Bit-Kurve is an okay corner.... The Schumacher-S is a "you're just supposed to know" corner like Acque Minerale or Eau Rouge. You will inevitably correct slightly coming out of Karussell. Having a smooth exit, having a big moment, and going off are not options. Turn 4 has gone from really fun to an okay corner. You didn't remember turn 1 being a significantly lower radius than turn 2 when you were driving the track forwards, but it is.

Sepang
The final hairpin is the same as before. The next three turns, previously the best complex in the history of motorsport ever, are now merely pretty fun. 10 links 11 and 9 together just like it does normally. 11 isn't as tricky and challenging, and 9 has curved braking, but it's not as hard to time as it is in the clockwise version. 7/8 and 5/6 still feels like themselves, turn 4 doesn't feel as fun for some weird reason I'm not sure of, and turn 2 has curved braking, but it's such a wide curve that it's not really hard, a lot like turn 2 at Interlagos.

Suzuka
Bleh. It's not nearly as fun. The Casio Triangle is boring, 130R isn't scary, and you won't go off on the Spoon Curve every other lap anymore. The hairpin is just a hairpin, the new first Degner is bland and the second is easy, and the Dunlop Curve into the fourth ess isn't as hard to do as the other way round. The first two esses are a high-speed chicane, turn 2 has become generic, and turn 1 is easy flat.

So I highly recommend trying this yourself if you have F1C, because it was really fun. The A1-Ring and Spa are the best by some margin, and if you only feel like a few tracks, Imola should be checked out too just so you can experience backwards Acque Minerale.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

There's a bunch of reversed original circuits of F1C which you can found here: http://forum.race4sim.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=93

I once drive A1 in reverse. SO fun
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
girry

Post by girry »

Used to do the tracks reverse in GP4 for fun, too, and I can share the feelings about Eau Rouge Reverse as Ugncreative. It's the most insane thing ever invented on earth, still remember first seeing the view from hilltop and going towards it 320kph for the first time.....that didn't end up well...

Depending on how accurately it's modeled, I find Parabolica reverse real fun, too - finding the perfect lane there and trying to stay on it is a never ending mission.
when you're dead people start listening
UncreativeUsername37

There are a couple lakes just east and west of Animal Kingdom that would make good racetracks....
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Pretty cool how everything is to scale. Like how diddy Martinsville is!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

That is an epic poster. And the only race track I have ever driven round frames it all!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Why do I have a feeling to want the poster in my bedroom even though it is a loft conversion? :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

roblomas52 wrote:

Why do I have a feeling to want the poster in my bedroom even though it is a loft conversion? :lol:

I have printed this off onto A3 in the uni library and it looks pretty good, although A1 or A2 would be even better (the text is still quite small). But it's amazing just how big the Manx TT is, with all those to scale. It took me a while to find Martinsville, and Eldora is rather small too! And while it is clear how big La Sarthe and Nordschliefe are relative to all the other tracks, the Manx TT still dwarfs them by a BIG margin. And Indianapolis boasts how big itself is via the image below (yet is on a pretty normal scale in the image above!)...

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Looking at that, I wonder how many countries would fit inside the TT course. Monaco would, certainly; San Marino and Liechtenstein I'd have to check.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Looking at that, I wonder how many countries would fit inside the TT course. Monaco would, certainly; San Marino and Liechtenstein I'd have to check.

And the island of the Isle of Man is pretty small by itself - about 30 miles long and 15 miles wide. But having spent a night in San Marino (and got fuel cheaper there than in the surrounding Italy, of course), I would be surprised if San Marino would not somehow fit inside the TT track.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:Looking at that, I wonder how many countries would fit inside the TT course. Monaco would, certainly; San Marino and Liechtenstein I'd have to check.

And the island of the Isle of Man is pretty small by itself - about 30 miles long and 15 miles wide. But having spent a night in San Marino (and got fuel cheaper there than in the surrounding Italy, of course), I would be surprised if San Marino would not somehow fit inside the TT track.

After checking the relative size of the TT circuit to the Isle of Man, the Vatican would of course fit inside as would Monaco, Nauru, Tuvalu and San Marino combined. On their own, it's possible that Liechtenstein and the Marshall Islands could fit as well. And that's not counting all the dependant territories like Gibraltar, for example.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

I've been trying for ages to make a good track around my own city, but i only got to dull or riduculously long tracks. However, i finally find something flowing and short around the University (yes, my little town has that :P ) It uses some (wide) bicycle paths and parkings, and mostly private roads. So it's not safe at all. Sadly no elevation changes.

Had to search a while to find the right thread, but i think this is the one.

Edit: improved it a bit http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6515591
Last edited by Butterfox on 17 Jan 2015, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

A very rejectful track I designed on the public roads near where I live, suitable for 1960s F1 cars. :P
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6513970
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
UncreativeUsername37

(Look at the actual road, not just the line since it's too sharp in some places. I know you're probably used to that, but here it's particularly bad.)
http://gmap-pedometer.com?r=6514942
A street circuit (apparently for karts) in Germany. Featuring the new Masta Kink.
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/?r=6515014&rf=1

A street circuit around the suburb that I live in. It's narrow, fast, and quite hilly for a suburban area. Definitely wouldn't happen IRL though due to the narrowness and the fact that people live on about every street on this circuit.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Definitely wouldn't happen IRL though due to the narrowness and the fact that people live on about every street on this circuit.

Doesn't stop the Isle of Man doing so in Douglas for a fortnight each summer... But there again, that is for motorbikes!
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

dr-baker wrote:
TheFlyingCaterham wrote:Definitely wouldn't happen IRL though due to the narrowness and the fact that people live on about every street on this circuit.

Doesn't stop the Isle of Man doing so in Douglas for a fortnight each summer... But there again, that is for motorbikes!

Then do what I just did: just say it's not for cars.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

After two previous attempts at designing circuits to bring the Leinster Trophy back to my hometown, here's the most dangerous iteration yet: http://www.mappedometer.com/?maproute=381134

The main and back straights (the R751 or Marlton Road) were used on the original Wicklow Circuit back in the '50s. At the end of the main straight is a sharp hairpin going uphill. Following this is an extremely fast section that goes very quickly downhill round about the 2 km mark, it's a drop of nearly 100 m over 1 km. The cars (or bikes) would more than likely have to slow down at the point where Greenhill Road joins with Convent Road. This is followed by a sharp right past the convent before going downhill again and left onto the main street. This section is mostly flat (in terms of both throttle and slope), apart from another downhill section just past the post office (just past where the road splits in two). Following this flat-out section is a left-hander past the Grand Hotel onto the back straight on Marlton Road before a chicane takes the driver back onto the start-finish straight.

Why is it dangerous? The width of the track, especially from about 2.5 km to the Grand Hotel and the sudden drop in elevation from 2 km pretty much all the way down to the convent make it downright insane to even consider racing on.
#FreeGonzo
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

Here's a couple of street circuits that would almost certainly never happen in the center of Le Mans (both around 6.5 km):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/swvu221rx4ry52d/le%20mans%20pontliere%20layout.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z50voj8jdiwucn1/le%20mans%20rue%20du%20circuit%20layout.JPG?dl=0

I came up with this idea after seeing the layout of the original 2 layouts for the 24 hour race, which went into Le Mans itself. To give you an idea, this is the original 1923 layout (White House isn't totally accurate, but you get the idea) placed on top of the current satellite image.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xaoaa0utctgsz3/le%20mans%201923.JPG?dl=0

Both circuits are based as much as possible on the original 2 layouts, but they had to be heavily modified in places. For example, the main straight as it was in 1923 is now impassable, as there is a major road going across it with fences on either side.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

dr-baker wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

I have printed this off onto A3 in the uni library and it looks pretty good, although A1 or A2 would be even better (the text is still quite small). But it's amazing just how big the Manx TT is, with all those to scale. It took me a while to find Martinsville, and Eldora is rather small too! And while it is clear how big La Sarthe and Nordschliefe are relative to all the other tracks, the Manx TT still dwarfs them by a BIG margin. And Indianapolis boasts how big itself is via the image below (yet is on a pretty normal scale in the image above!)...

So I just discovered you can purchase a semi-glossy poster of this pretty cheaply. I just ordered an A0 size (which is gonna be dammmn big) and including postage it was less than $50.

You can order them here: http://www.redbubble.com/people/sirdunn ... d-labelled

I'll be sure to post a picture once I've framed it and hung it on my wall!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.