The Totally Ripper/Bonza V8 Supercar Thread.

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Londoner

Re: The Totally Ripper/Bonza V8 Supercar Thread.

Post by Londoner »

To the surprise of few people, Gizzy's joining T8 for 2016 onwards.. To the surprise of everyone though, he ISN'T replacing Lowndsey. Instead, we've got a three-car T8 team for 2016 and 2017.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

East Londoner wrote:To the surprise of few people, Gizzy's joining T8 for 2016 onwards.. To the surprise of everyone though, he ISN'T replacing Lowndsey. Instead, we've got a three-car T8 team for 2016 and 2017.

Goodbye 2016 championship then :roll:

It'll be interesting to see where the third REC comes from, if Tekno keep going with theirs. I suspect either LDM are downsizing (again) or they've bought Fiore's from V8SC for some stupidly low amount of money.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

Well that was one of the worst starts I've ever seen anywhere at the start of race 4. What a farce.

I blame that completely on the acceleration zone. I really do not understand why on earth they still have that after what happened at Adelaide last year. It just causes problems.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

This will be interesting to see, he was rapid last time around in the Gold Coast international race. I like seeing high profile forigeners have a crack at V8 Supercars
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
RonDenisDeletraz

And PRA shoot themselves in the foot. Again. :D
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

James Courtney was injured in a strange pit incident at Eastern Creek, the turbulence from a navy helicopter dislodged some metal which struck Courtney in the ribcage. I blame Bronwyn Bishop.
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

I see what you did there.
RonDenisDeletraz

Watching the Sandown 500, Whincup has been leading most of the day. Good job also to Tim Blanchard, who is running in the top 10 on merit so far.

simonracer

Post by simonracer »

My god Mostert had a bad one in qualifying for the 1000, the car almost went over the wall going into Forrest's Elbow. He has a broken upper left leg and wrist. And 5 marshalls have been injured, one seriously although fortunately his injuries are not life threatening.
RonDenisDeletraz

simonracer wrote:My god Mostert had a bad one in qualifying for the 1000, the car almost went over the wall going into Forrest's Elbow. He has a broken upper left leg and wrist. And 5 marshalls have been injured, one seriously although fortunately his injuries are not life threatening.

Was a serious crash, wish all the best to Mostert for his recovery. Just goes to show how the slightest mistake at speed can have bad consequences.

Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I am in Australia at the moment visiting family and have seen bits and pieces of Bathurst. The nasty crash happened about 5 minutes after we switched on Practice. We've just seen the very wet Top 10 shootout which featured some amazing car control.

When we were in a pub earlier the (mute) coverage was on and I saw a Larry Perkins feature. You will be pleased to hear that a picture of that awful BRM P160 featured.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

It's like Whincup has sought inspiration from Will Power, because that was some grade-A choking at Bathurst. He blew a surefire win by overtaking the SC, and then decided to bin it. Slam dunk ROTR for the reigning champ.

Lowndsey gets his sixth win at the mountain. :D
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

OsellaFA1L wrote:James Courtney was injured in a strange pit incident at Eastern Creek, the turbulence from a navy helicopter dislodged some metal which struck Courtney in the ribcage. I blame Bronwyn Bishop.

Bronwyn? from neighbours? Is she still alive?
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

What a comeback for James Courtney! Also with Jack Perkins !! Incredible drive :D :D :D :D
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
RonDenisDeletraz

AxelP800 wrote:What a comeback for James Courtney! Also with Jack Perkins !! Incredible drive :D :D :D :D
I know, was great to see. HRT have usually been fast at street circuits, they won Adelaide and were close in Townsville.

PRA return to their old habit of being massive chokers, Winterbottom is still in the box seat for the title but moments like that will rattle him.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

There's a possibility we may finally have two competitive Volvos next year,as James Moffat will be replacing David "haven't even scored a top 15 result all year" Wall in the second car.

And in a very strange move, David Reynolds will be leaving PRA to drive an Erebus crapbox for 2016 onwards. :badoer:
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Aaaaand the first race of the season is WHINCUPWINSZZZZ. Yeap, this is gonna be a long season...
RonDenisDeletraz

The second race was much better, James Courtney proved HRT still have a lot of pace on street circuits. On a grimmer note Tander proved in the same race that HRT also still have their typical unreliability.

Big crash for Chris Pither in the Super Black car, I was in the pit straight grandstand and everyone there was relieved when he got out of the car

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:The second race was much better, James Courtney proved HRT still have a lot of pace on street circuits. On a grimmer note Tander proved in the same race that HRT also still have their typical unreliability.

Big crash for Chris Pither in the Super Black car, I was in the pit straight grandstand and everyone there was relieved when he got out of the car

No, Pither crashed on the infamous turn 8 before slamming an opening on the inside of the straight.

On the funny note on the early of race 2 commentators were saying "McLaughlin battles with Gisbergen." I was confused where is Gisbergen in the STIX car and thought McLaughlin was with Lowdnes. Then I remember Gisbergen had moved to 3x 8 team. Whoops.
tommykl has a stroke
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Just a great race 3. Like Adelaide 1991 but got restarted. NickPercatWinsWat yeahhhh
tommykl has a stroke
RonDenisDeletraz

AxelP800 wrote:
RonDenisDeletraz wrote:The second race was much better, James Courtney proved HRT still have a lot of pace on street circuits. On a grimmer note Tander proved in the same race that HRT also still have their typical unreliability.

No, Pither crashed on the infamous turn 8 before slamming an opening on the inside of the straight.

I know, I was at the damn track, saw it on the big screen.

Michael Caruso is leading the championship by virtue of consistency, didn't really do anything that notable apart from keep his car straight when so many others couldn't. The first time anyone not driving a Holden or Ford has led the championship since the old V8 Supercar regulations started in 1993.

Good too see Percat and LDM get the win, I have a lot of respect for Lucas Dumbrell, he has managed to overcome disability and punch above his weight on a comparatively small budget.

RonDenisDeletraz

Sorry for the double post, but it's exit stage left for the Sydney Olympic Park Circuit

RonDenisDeletraz

Good race at Symmons Plains today, Will Davison was somewhat lucky to win, SVG and Winterbottom were ahead of him but went off on oil at the hairpin from Cameron Waters in his Ford late in the race. Shane was out on the spot where as Winterbottom recovered to 3rd. Certainly an eventful race

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Good race at Symmons Plains today, Will Davison was somewhat lucky to win, SVG and Winterbottom were ahead of him but went off on oil at the hairpin from Cameron Waters in his Ford late in the race. Shane was out on the spot where as Winterbottom recovered to 3rd. Certainly an eventful race

It looked like something out of a video game!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

V8 Supercars is no more

Yeap, you're quite right. it's becoming the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship. I imagine the bogans are most displeased about this. :P
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

simonracer wrote:And now Volvo will be gone at the end of the season.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/05/05/volvo-v8-supercars-engines-recalled-to-sweden/

This is going to become very embarrassing very quickly for the sport. The amount of manufacturers present is rapidly heading for a big fat zero.

Eventually we'll have Proton, Perouda and Mekong being the trio of cars in the field, but thanks to the Australian govt, the entire calendar will be restricted only to races in Nauru.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Biscione wrote:
simonracer wrote:And now Volvo will be gone at the end of the season.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/05/05/volvo-v8-supercars-engines-recalled-to-sweden/

This is going to become very embarrassing very quickly for the sport. The amount of manufacturers present is rapidly heading for a big fat zero.

Eventually we'll have Proton, Perouda and Mekong being the trio of cars in the field, but thanks to the Australian govt, the entire calendar will be restricted only to races in Nauru.

That's a rather overreaction IMO. But also there are no rumour about what manufacturer to enter. The issue is there are no unified super touring formula. How about combining DTM, Super GT, STCC's solution F, and Stock Car Brasil regulations?
tommykl has a stroke
RonDenisDeletraz

V8's fanbase has dropped like a rock since the Foxtel deal was introduced. Pay TV is simply unaffordable for a large section of the traditionally working class supporters of the championship.

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

What a race that race 1 at Barbagallo. Awesome one! I won't spoiler here :D
tommykl has a stroke
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

-- Warning spoiler --

What a weekend for Tim Slade, massive congratulations to him!
tommykl has a stroke
Samster

Post by Samster »

Awesome news but given how previous European drivers (Premat, Engel, Dahlgren) have gone in the series I can't see her being anywhere other than last place every race at least for her first season. And all of those three had already raced a few seasons in some form of touring car, Simona only has Bathurst last year.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Samster wrote:

Awesome news but given how previous European drivers (Premat, Engel, Dahlgren) have gone in the series I can't see her being anywhere other than last place every race at least for her first season. And all of those three had already raced a few seasons in some form of touring car, Simona only has Bathurst last year.

Well, but those three came to get bullied to submission by the midfield plebs. You have other examples of european themselves bullying others: Priaulx, Ekstrom (please do Bathurst again Ekky) and Bourdais as prime examples.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
RonDenisDeletraz

Nasty crash for young James Golding in the Moffat Volo on the first lap of the Sandown 500. Speared off at the end of the back straight, probably due to tyre failure. Glad to see he was able to walk away.

In other news, it looks like there will be intermittent rain showers for most of the day

TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

The race at Homebush will be replaced by a race in Newcastle from next year onwards.

http://www.supercars.com/news/champions ... 37018115=1
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

Bathurst has just ended and it was rather dramatic (and will become quite controversial.)
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So that's the third Bathurst in a row Whincup's managed to throw away the victory in the late stages. :badoer:
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

So as previously noted, that finish was quite interesting to say the least.

After being easily one of the fastest cars on race day, Whincup managed to take not only himself, but Tander and McLaughlin out with him in two corners. Whincup made a clumsy move on McLaughlin heading into the Chase which forced the Volvo to do some rallycross. Whincup slowed to readdress his position to McLaughlin at the end of the Chase, which opened the door for Tander. But right as Tander went for the move, he got tagged by the rejoining McLaughlin, which saw the both of them into the wall, with the former retiring from the race and the latter ending up 15th, two laps down. Whincup got a 15 second penalty at the end of that, which left him in 11th, which handed the victory to the Tekno car of Davison and Webb, after barely managing to hold off van Gisbergen (Davison ran out of fuel just at the finish line, too). I'm pretty sure that also means that Davison and Webb are the first winners of the 1000 (and perhaps one of the few winners in races without handicaps in general) to not actually lead a lap.

The results aren't set in stone yet though, as Triple 8 are appealing the penalty. Apparently McLaughlin got a 25 point penalty when the incident was relooked at, but I can't find a source that says this yet. Would be quite a controversial victory if the appeal is successful, I reckon.
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.