The Totally Ripper/Bonza V8 Supercar Thread.

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
simonracer

Re: The Totally Ripper/Bonza V8 Supercar Thread.

Post by simonracer »

the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

This annoys me greatly. The problem with these plans is they assume that V8 engines have no road relevancy these days, but nothing about V8 Supercars are road relevant - the only parts that are common between V8s and their road-going companions are the headlights. If they want relevance, they may as well go back to Group C - or even better, Appendix J.

Now, I'm all for letting other body styles in, because I wouldn't mind seeing a Mustang go up against an Astra and whatever Datsun and co want to build, but they should have V8s, because that's what the series is now. With DTM downsizing their engines, V8SC will be pretty much the last touring car series with V8s, which makes it a unique product, and therefore a bit easier to sell (especially internationally and even more so for the US, where Warburton clearly wants to make some ground).

And then there's another thing working against V8SC - parity. These idiots can't get engine parity right even when the regs are ridiculously tight - they've got no hope of getting different configurations close. They way I see it, two things will happen: either we end up with a repeat of the Group C era (parity issues cause the manufacturers to stop caring), or we get a repeat of the Group A era (dominance of one or two cars cause the manufacturers to stop caring). The best case scenario is a repeat of Project Blueprint (they force all the cars to be completely identical - i.e. what we have now).
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

East Londoner wrote:If Frosty is to be believed, the kek train is starting early at Surfers :roll: :lol:

Meanwhile, DJR are losing their title sponsorship at the end of the season. If this were a few years ago, this would be a devastating blow to the team. But it isn't, because Penske.

And the other half of this DJR saga involves who is replacing Ambrose. So a former Penske driver in Sam Hornish Jr. is replacing Marcos Ambrose who is going to race for DJR/Penske. What's next? Will Power or Simon Pagenaud and Marcos Ambrose in the Bathurst 1000? Actually... that might not be a bad idea.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
East Londoner wrote:If Frosty is to be believed, the kek train is starting early at Surfers :roll: :lol:

Meanwhile, DJR are losing their title sponsorship at the end of the season. If this were a few years ago, this would be a devastating blow to the team. But it isn't, because Penske.

And the other half of this DJR saga involves who is replacing Ambrose. So a former Penske driver in Sam Hornish Jr. is replacing Marcos Ambrose who is going to race for DJR/Penske. What's next? Will Power or Simon Pagenaud and Marcos Ambrose in the Bathurst 1000? Actually... that might not be a bad idea.

Nah, we obviously need Montoya in a V8 Supercar next year :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Wizzie wrote:Nah, we obviously need Montoya in a V8 Supercar next year :P

Remember what he did at Daytona with a jet dryer? Now in Australia he'd do that while flipped upside down.
Leyton House

Post by Leyton House »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:

This annoys me greatly. The problem with these plans is they assume that V8 engines have no road relevancy these days, but nothing about V8 Supercars are road relevant - the only parts that are common between V8s and their road-going companions are the headlights. If they want relevance, they may as well go back to Group C - or even better, Appendix J.

Now, I'm all for letting other body styles in, because I wouldn't mind seeing a Mustang go up against an Astra and whatever Datsun and co want to build, but they should have V8s, because that's what the series is now. With DTM downsizing their engines, V8SC will be pretty much the last touring car series with V8s, which makes it a unique product, and therefore a bit easier to sell (especially internationally and even more so for the US, where Warburton clearly wants to make some ground).

And then there's another thing working against V8SC - parity. These idiots can't get engine parity right even when the regs are ridiculously tight - they've got no hope of getting different configurations close. They way I see it, two things will happen: either we end up with a repeat of the Group C era (parity issues cause the manufacturers to stop caring), or we get a repeat of the Group A era (dominance of one or two cars cause the manufacturers to stop caring). The best case scenario is a repeat of Project Blueprint (they force all the cars to be completely identical - i.e. what we have now).

Agreed. This Warburton is clearly trying to pass himself off as Ecclestone, scheduling the 'official preseason test' on the same day as the Bathurst 12 hour and telling every V8 driver he must attend, thereby robbing the 12 hour of it's major drawcards. They've been using safety cars since 1988 and still haven't gotten the hang of that, so any idea they will get parity sorted is comical to say the least.
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Nah, we obviously need Montoya in a V8 Supercar next year :P

Remember what he did at Daytona with a jet dryer? Now in Australia he'd do that while flipped upside down.

Yes, because it was totally JPM's fault.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Leyton House wrote:
the Masked Lapwing wrote:

Agreed. This Warburton is clearly trying to pass himself off as Ecclestone, scheduling the 'official preseason test' on the same day as the Bathurst 12 hour and telling every V8 driver he must attend, thereby robbing the 12 hour of it's major drawcards. They've been using safety cars since 1988 and still haven't gotten the hang of that, so any idea they will get parity sorted is comical to say the least.

And then there's the broadcasting contracts...
Seriously, I have a feeling Warburton is gonna ruin the V8's. Either that, or he already has...
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

RealRacingRoots wrote:Yes, because it was totally JPM's fault.

Some believe he could have steered it elsewhere, but even I believe it was little more than a mechanical failure in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Still, I think JPM is a bit disillusioned of tin tops.
the Masked Lapwing

R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
the Masked Lapwing

East Londoner wrote:The Old Fart is considering jacking in his full-time gig at Lucas Dumbrell, to become a co-driver for the enduros...

Remember what happened the last time he said that. He wound up driving full time for LDM :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
the Masked Lapwing

Frosty, not content with choking away the title, is now choking away second :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TheFlyingCaterham

So, the WHINCUPWINSLOL steamroller won the title on the 2nd race yesterday, beating Skaife's record of most V8 titles (was 5, now 6) and most titles in a row, which was also held by Skaife (3, now 4)

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

dont forget the REDBULLWINSLOL factor
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Damn :|
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
the Masked Lapwing

So, if an AFL game can force an actual race to be postponed a bit, why can't they move a test session again?
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

RIP in peace Ford?

Maybe this is the reason why Penske may only be running one car next season?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
RonDenisDeletraz

aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I can hear the cheers from Australia over here in England: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116862
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Leyton House

Post by Leyton House »

watka wrote:I can hear the cheers from Australia over here in England: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116862

I don't know, I think Dahlgren like Premat before him is better than he's been able to show.
I think getting more overseas drivers into the sport will attract more interest from other parts of the world, and may get some more manufacturers interested to fill the void left when the local factories sadly close.
RonDenisDeletraz

watka wrote:I can hear the cheers from Australia over here in England: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116862

I actually quite liked Dahlgren, he wasn't great but it's not like David Wall is a shining star either

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The pre-season test is now officially compulsory for all V8 Supercar drivers next season

In other news, James Warburton is a bathplugging imbecile...
the Masked Lapwing

Most sought after seat on the grid goes to a pay driver. Normally Garry is quite good with driver decisions when left to his own devices (as long as we don't mention Andrew Jones :lol: ), but this is just awful. And to think, this idiot has any seat at all and Scotty Pye will probably miss out.

On the other hand, when GRM are getting support from Volvo, win 4 races and reach popularity levels not seen since they challenged the Walkinshaw Empire, it's a major problem when they need a pay driver just to get a sponsor. And people think F1 is bathplugged :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TheFlyingCaterham

the Masked Lapwing wrote: it's a major problem when they need a pay driver just to get a sponsor. And people think F1 is bathplugged :lol:

Considering Warburton seems to be getting career advice from Bernie, Ima have to agree with that :?

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Looks like Penske are only running the one car next year

Scotty Pye's been totally screwed for next season. :(
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

I wouldn't be too surprised if he ends up at LDM replacing Ingall, who surely cannot be continuing for another season.

In other news, Lee Holdsworth has gone to Charlie Schwerkolt's car and Ash Walsh is replacing him. Also, Super Black Racing has basically been confirmed as entering next year, with Andre Heimgartner at the wheel. There's even some rumours that Dragon Racing is going to run full time next year, rotating four drivers in a LDM-supported car, which I imagine would result in some serious rejectfulness, if it actually happened, which I imagine is unlikely.
the Masked Lapwing

To the surprise of no one, Ford are gone after 2015. Which means are now one step closer to the death of the V8 Supercar.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

And to the surprise of everyone, Percat could be losing his drive for next year
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
the Masked Lapwing

Well, at least the V8s haven't been completely killed off. Of course, given that Datsun and Volvo want 4-cyl turbos and Holden and will have followed Ford by then...

And as an added bonus:
Dear god that's awful.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TheFlyingCaterham

the Masked Lapwing wrote:And as an added bonus:
Dear god that's awful.

I can safely say that I prefer the original logo a lot better than this one :P

AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:
the Masked Lapwing wrote:And as an added bonus:
<Censored>
Dear god that's awful.

I can safely say that I prefer the original logo a lot better than this one :P

That looks like something I'd design.

Given my highly limited artistic abilities, that isn't a good thing.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
TheFlyingCaterham

Lucas Dumbrell Motorsport is running 2 cars next year.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/cham ... rs-in-2015

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Nissan have painted Michael Caruso's Altima in the colours of their factory GT-R.

And yes, it looks like somebody's dad painted the family car to imitate his favourite team:

mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

Good racing at Adelaide.

Also that was terrible driving by Whincup on the final lap there.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

simonracer wrote:Good racing at Adelaide.

Also that was terrible driving by Whincup on the final lap there.

Yes because vanishing into thin air is a thing that he can do. How dare he not do that thing.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

After seeing the replay the second time it didn't look anywhere near as bad. It still looked like he could have backed off a bit though.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Surprise, surprise... no penalty. Roland Dane's cheque to CAMS will be in the mail ASAP tomorrow morning.
This is a cool spot.
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

In fairness, Mostert did cut across on him. And maybe Whincup was past the b-pillar.