The not-so-rejectful YouTube Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
TomWazzleshaw

Re: The not-so-rejectful YouTube Thread

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Not bad, though for 17 minutes of video I expected a bit more footage from 50s/60s/70s. Good choice of clips though.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The utterly insane set of laps that decided the 2009 BTCC title

God I wish I was following BTCC back in 2009. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I like the way Snrub thinks!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Pretty damned impressive quali lap from Button, Montreal 2004.
Not every day you see someone lap a full second faster than a F2004 equipped Schumi. Also, V10 orgasm noises. :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

A rapidly moving but very hilarious MLG parody on the outcome of the final race. Aernando Flonso. Ron Dennis - "Kevin is clearly the better driver" etc. :lol: :lol:
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

On-board lap of Moreno at Magny Cours in 1991 - with commentary from the man himself!

Never heard him before, so quite surprised how high pitched his voice is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-UDtYygv-Q
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Yeah, so the next F1 engine spec should be 28.3 litre normally aspirated in-line 4s: http://wtf1.co.uk/100-year-old-fiat-start-up/
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

It's more than twice the size of an HGV engine. A quick look revealed the DAF XF - the largest of their trucks and presumably designed to haul 44-tonne loads across continental Europe - has a 12.9-litre inline-six diesel.

So let's up the stakes a bit... Australian forumites should be familiar with road trains. Wikipedia says the largest of all these, designed for hauling 460 tonnes of gold and copper ore across the Northern Territory, has a 19-litre 600 hp engine of indeterminate configuration at the front, and another 400 hp engine - neither capacity nor configuration specified - at the back. If the front engine was (say) a V12, it could easily be shortened to a V8 for the back which is two-thirds the power output (so, logically, two-thirds the cylinders). This would mean a total of 31.6 litres and 20 cylinders... so the Beast Of Turin's engine would have slightly less capacity but spread over only four...

How did they do this... in 1911?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dinizintheoven wrote:It's more than twice the size of an HGV engine. A quick look revealed the DAF XF - the largest of their trucks and presumably designed to haul 44-tonne loads across continental Europe - has a 12.9-litre inline-six diesel.

So let's up the stakes a bit... Australian forumites should be familiar with road trains. Wikipedia says the largest of all these, designed for hauling 460 tonnes of gold and copper ore across the Northern Territory, has a 19-litre 600 hp engine of indeterminate configuration at the front, and another 400 hp engine - neither capacity nor configuration specified - at the back. If the front engine was (say) a V12, it could easily be shortened to a V8 for the back which is two-thirds the power output (so, logically, two-thirds the cylinders). This would mean a total of 31.6 litres and 20 cylinders... so the Beast Of Turin's engine would have slightly less capacity but spread over only four...

How did they do this... in 1911?

IIRC, it was some kind of old aircraft engine.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

TheFlyingCaterham, I have found a video that matches your username perfectly! :D :P

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

good_Ralf wrote:TheFlyingCaterham, I have found a video that matches your username perfectly! :D :P

It's beautiful :)
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

#FreeGonzo
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Talk about skill! That's insane!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Superb. Maybe slightly controversial, I don't know, but those cars from 83/84 with the tiny sidepods, the cars looking almost 'arrow' shaped from above, and those enormous rear wings look bloody magnificent to me. Short, wide cars with big fat tyres and lots of horsepower - brilliant!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I love 'em too - you can't beat the bucket wings!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

AndreaModa wrote:

Superb. Maybe slightly controversial, I don't know, but those cars from 83/84 with the tiny sidepods, the cars looking almost 'arrow' shaped from above, and those enormous rear wings look bloody magnificent to me. Short, wide cars with big fat tyres and lots of horsepower - brilliant!

A lot of them look badass, but that Ligier looks even more ugly in action than it does on photos. It would have been a beautiful car had they gone for the Tyrrell/Brabham/March/Osella arrow-shape and it would have been reasonable if they went for the Toleman/Williams short-sidepod style. I've seen both the Tyrrell and Ligier in action in a historic race, and that Tyrrell really looks really cool in reality.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I love the clip of Eddie Cheever where it looks like he's turning round to face the camera! (presumably, he wasn't) and the sad sight of the pure white Arrows.

What is that gadget on top of the Brabham though - presumably some prototype telemetry?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

This wrote:A lot of them look badass, but that Ligier looks even more ugly in action than it does on photos. It would have been a beautiful car had they gone for the Tyrrell/Brabham/March/Osella arrow-shape and it would have been reasonable if they went for the Toleman/Williams short-sidepod style. I've seen both the Tyrrell and Ligier in action in a historic race, and that Tyrrell really looks really cool in reality.

I agree that the Tyrrell looks wonderful. In fact, they pretty much all do except for (yes, you guessed it) the Ligier. I love the look of the Spirit - millions may disagree - and in particular the ATS. I always had a soft spot for them, and would will that car to finish. If it had done, there would have been points in many races. It very rarely did, of course!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Barbazza wrote:
This wrote:A lot of them look badass, but that Ligier looks even more ugly in action than it does on photos. It would have been a beautiful car had they gone for the Tyrrell/Brabham/March/Osella arrow-shape and it would have been reasonable if they went for the Toleman/Williams short-sidepod style. I've seen both the Tyrrell and Ligier in action in a historic race, and that Tyrrell really looks really cool in reality.

I agree that the Tyrrell looks wonderful. In fact, they pretty much all do except for (yes, you guessed it) the Ligier. I love the look of the Spirit - millions may disagree - and in particular the ATS. I always had a soft spot for them, and would will that car to finish. If it had done, there would have been points in many races. It very rarely did, of course!

Oh yeah, i always forget about the Spirit :lol: Altough i prefer their 1984 version.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

The 1955 Belgian Grand Prix on the classic 14 km Spa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xWL0wCfIFU
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AndreaModa wrote:

Can't say I liked all of those cars, particularly the 1984 cars.

The Brabham from 1983 looked amazing though, and to a lesser extent the Ligier too.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

Just remembered this. I HAD TO post it, a bit rejectful, but fabulous enough to go here, not to the reject YT thread.

There are 11 episodes, each very well worth your time. :D
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Fans of Clive James will like this - he made a guest appearance on Eurosport's coverage of the 1996 German GP qualifying.

As a bonus they have a quick mention of Forti around the 45 minute mark.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Brilliant save by Ajo in last weekend's Moto3 race, crossing the line on both knees! :shock:

https://youtu.be/m_bIaupAeSE
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

This has probably been posted before but I can't remember watching it!

Senna's McLaren vs Porsche 911 vs Honda Concerto at Estoril. Also featuring Allan McNish.

https://youtu.be/mCbR-iq4kBQ

McLaren just did something similar at Silverstone but this one is so much better.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I recently found a YouTube channel which reviews old F1 races and adds humour in the form of satire and foreshadowing!

CookP1 on Rubens Barrichello in Italy 1999 wrote:Put this guy in a championship-winning car and he'll be the No.1 driver for sure!

CookP1's channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwR_Mid7eJWq_2DHnx1eN3w/videos

Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Bobby Doorknobs

Monza at a simpler time, and with a nice jazz soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P-I6SzMmlo

It's quite a bumpy ride!
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

A year ago, I posted a video in this thread called "This is Formula One". Not surprisingly, it got taken down by FOM after it had garnered over a million views, despite the fact that it did a far better job of promoting the sport than FOM themselves. However, the original uploader has put it up again and edited quite a bit of it, but it is still amazing to watch and I would highly recommend it to anyone remotely interested in F1.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eafjQDr22kU
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

The 1982 Leinster Trophy. Ireland's most coveted motorsport prize is won at Mondello by a young Brazilian named Ayreton da Silva. He was blisteringly quick and dominated almost the whole race. It's a shame we never saw this Ayreton da Silva chap in F1...
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'll be willing to bet Mondello Park has had a few trackside upgrades since then...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Bobby Doorknobs

The 1953 Ulster Trophy at Dundrod. Unfortunately, it's missing that wonderful 1950s newsreel voiceover.
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Presenting an old episode of Top Gear - I mean really old, the one where William "Captain Very Much More Sensible Than James May" Woollard was presenting.

Sure, this may be a review of the 1989 Mazda 323, but at the end there's a weird McLaren that looks like a 1987 MP4/3 with Honda decals all over it. A test hack, maybe, or a show car?