The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
AxelP800

Re: The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

Post by AxelP800 »

andrew wrote:Due to the incident they are switching to the f1 layout

Benefit of this is increased run-off area and considering bikes, they don't have much problem at chicanes nor overtaking.
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

RIP Luis. He had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, motorcycle racing will always be dangerous.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

My reaction to the winner

PS: I'm not his fanboy

And some heart-warming tribute by some riders
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Rest in peace Luis Salom
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Where is the celebration guys? Jack Miller won in Assen!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Dj_bereta wrote:Where is the celebration guys? Jack Miller won in Assen!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

:shock: Okay this race I absolutely have to see. How did that even happen? First time anyone not on a factory Honda or Yamaha has won since Stoner was racing for Ducati and first satellite rider to win since Toni Elias at Estoril 2006!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Samster wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Where is the celebration guys? Jack Miller won in Assen!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

:shock: Okay this race I absolutely have to see. How did that even happen? First time anyone not on a factory Honda or Yamaha has won since Stoner was racing for Ducati and first satellite rider to win since Toni Elias at Estoril 2006!

Haven't followed MotoGP for a little while, so the first time I heard this I was like so what, he's one of the best riders in Moto3. Only now have I realised he's in the top class!

Toni Elias is one of my favourite riders ever, his style was pretty wild and Estoril 2006 has to be my favourite race ever! The +0.002 that Rossi finished behind Elias ended up costing him the title.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Samster wrote:

I missed the race, but this if I remember well, Jack Miller is outstanding in wet conditions, plus the race as pretty chaotic.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Marquez makes everyone else look silly. Lorenzo embarrasses himself in wet conditions again. Crutchlow puts in a long overdue solid ride. Fascinating race.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
RonDenisDeletraz

Definitely seems like Marquez is the championship favourite. Good to see Jack Miller continuing his strong form, 7th is decent considering he had the wrong strategy in the changeable weather conditions
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I usually don't follow MotoGP, but this news bit caught my eye: http://yle.fi/uutiset/finland_set_to_ho ... 18/9032183

A major international circuit racing event in Finland for the first time in 20 years? I'm down with that! :dance:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Talking about lower classes, Khairul Idham Pawi has very interesting sheet of results: two dominant wins in wet races and apart from that, his best is 14th.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Nuppiz wrote:I usually don't follow MotoGP, but this news bit caught my eye: http://yle.fi/uutiset/finland_set_to_ho ... 18/9032183

A major international circuit racing event in Finland for the first time in 20 years? I'm down with that! :dance:

The track layout looks quite interesting, the twisty bit reminds me a bit of Valencia (the race track, not the street circuit) :

http://en.kymiring.fi/motorsport/
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Bleu wrote:Talking about lower classes, Khairul Idham Pawi has very interesting sheet of results: two dominant wins in wet races and apart from that, his best is 14th.

He doesn't have good help in setting up the bike, that is clear.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Ianonne and Ducati won! Yes yes yes and yes again!
RonDenisDeletraz

andrew wrote:Ianonne and Ducati won! Yes yes yes and yes again!

And Cructhlow won next time out in Brno, been a good MotoGP season

Samster

Post by Samster »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:

Up until Assen, Spies and Marquez were the only new winners of the decade yet in the last four races we have three more. What is this season? :D
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Samster wrote:
RonDenisDeletraz wrote:

Up until Assen, Spies and Marquez were the only new winners of the decade yet in the last four races we have three more. What is this season? :D

Michelin deserves a thank you note.
Samster

Post by Samster »

And now Vinales has gone and done it. :D
andrew

Post by andrew »

I had completely forgotten Spies was ever in MotoGP.

Congratulations to 2016 MotoGP world champion Marc Marquez and also to Moto3 champion Brad Binder. Just Moto2 left to decide, and it looks like it will be a straight fight between Zarco and Rins.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Just a quick reminder, as this thread has been so quiet (no posts for 5 months!) that the MotoGP 2017 Season starts this weekend, as well as the F1.

For those in the UK without BT Sport, ITV4 have dropped their coverage, much like with Formula E.

So, Channel 5 now have the highlights package, it's on Monday at 7pm.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

madmark1974 wrote:Just a quick reminder, as this thread has been so quiet (no posts for 5 months!) that the MotoGP 2017 Season starts this weekend, as well as the F1.

For those in the UK without BT Sport, ITV4 have dropped their coverage, much like with Formula E.

So, Channel 5 now have the highlights package, it's on Monday at 7pm.

Well, that means no more MotoGP for me, unless I get BT Sport to log in again (After the mess of the WRC & FE coverage, I simply don't trust C5 to do a good job)
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Missed the F1 race, but managed to see this one. It's the first MotoGP race i've seen since 2014/5, and I must say I was really impressed. Not too sure about all the delays, but once the race got going it was exciting and entertaining from start to finish. It's good to see that Vinales is doing so well - i've been following him since he did well in Moto3 a few years ago. Also, I don't know who this Zarco bloke is, but I can see big things in store for him!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Rob Dylan wrote:Missed the F1 race, but managed to see this one. It's the first MotoGP race i've seen since 2014/5, and I must say I was really impressed. Not too sure about all the delays, but once the race got going it was exciting and entertaining from start to finish. It's good to see that Vinales is doing so well - i've been following him since he did well in Moto3 a few years ago. Also, I don't know who this Zarco bloke is, but I can see big things in store for him!

Zarco won the supporting moto2 championship in the last 2 years. I think he was once involved in a dead heat finish,
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Rob Dylan wrote:Missed the F1 race, but managed to see this one. It's the first MotoGP race i've seen since 2014/5, and I must say I was really impressed. Not too sure about all the delays, but once the race got going it was exciting and entertaining from start to finish. It's good to see that Vinales is doing so well - i've been following him since he did well in Moto3 a few years ago. Also, I don't know who this Zarco bloke is, but I can see big things in store for him!

I watched the highlights on Channel 5 last night and it appears to be exactly the same package as ITV4 had been showing in previous years, presumably something BT Sport knock up themselves, though we did get a bit of onscreen Gavin Emmett rather than just as a voice-over.

The actual race itself was, as Rob says above, very enjoyable, and good to see so many different machines running competitively at the front.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Aleix put in a hell of a shift to drag the Aprilia up to 6th place. In comparison to the top manufacturers, Aprilia have so few resources and it's great to see them up there.

Zarco was bloody magic until he dropped it, he got off the line brilliantly well and rode past Marquez, Vinales and all that with consummate ease. Very impressive from him.

Definitely worth the wait after the delayed start!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

RIP Nicky Hayden, the best number 69 holder ever

http://www.elmundo.es/deportes/motocicl ... b45cc.html (in spanish)
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Goodbye Kentucky Kid :(

Godspeed!
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Terrible news about Hayden. 2006 was right when I was really into MotoGP before I came back towards F1. Still remember the championship going down to the wire after Pedrosa wiped him out. He was livid! And then coming back in Valencia and winning the title after Rossi stacked it. Incredible scenes. He'll be missed.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

R.I.P. Nicky.

Such a shame.

The BBC Website has a nice selection of tributes :

http://bbc.in/2qOMfr5
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It seems like every time I turned on the news today, I saw something terrible. This hit me hard. Such a shame.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Unconfirmed reports suggest Hayden went through a stop sign before being hit.

Source: http://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/201 ... b456f.html
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

AndreaModa wrote:Terrible news about Hayden. 2006 was right when I was really into MotoGP before I came back towards F1. Still remember the championship going down to the wire after Pedrosa wiped him out. He was livid! And then coming back in Valencia and winning the title after Rossi stacked it. Incredible scenes. He'll be missed.

Likewise, that was the season I got really into MotoGP and Nicky Hayden was one of the main reasons for that. RIP Nicky
RonDenisDeletraz

Rest in Peace Nicky Hayden.

Marco

Post by Marco »

Valentino Rossi just won the GP in Assen, his 10th win on this track and his 115th since 1996.

With Vinales falling off, Rossi is also just 7 points behind Dovizioso(!) who took the lead in the championship.

Meanwhile Lorenzo switched to wet tires in the light drizzle while the podium stayed on slicks, and so he was lapped...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I have two questions: Are you watching MotoGP this year? And if not, then why not?

This is already easily one of the best seasons I've watched. The competition has been super varied, with teams and riders having such fluctuations in form and luck. We have a new front-runner in Vinales, and both Zarco and Folger are seriously promising newbies at the top level. The racing has been great, and there has been pretty much no chance of predicting what will happen at each race. Top season.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

For those who've not seen it yet, I won't spoil anything, but the final race of the season, in Valencia, is well worth watching if you get the chance.

It's been a good season overall, pretty much the same as Rob Dylan mentions in the post above throughout the whole year.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I'm so gutted x didn't win x, God knows they had been waiting a while for it. Great season, though, I'll do my ROTY podium for it soon I think.