The Marcus Grönholm Rally Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
DemocalypseNow

The Marcus Grönholm Rally Thread

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Figured I should port this from the Rantbox to somewhere more appropriate.

Ogier signs for VW

Well, it's clear to see what his intentions are now. He's aiming to be the next Loeb with a different manufacturer, by signing early he can get the team to mould everything around him.

So who will be the new lead driver at Ford? Will Latvala be promoted to #1 with Mads Ostberg as his team-mate? Will Solberg and Wilson finally let bygones be bygones and have the last driver to beat Loeb to the championship have a crack at beating him in a factory team? Or will someone appear completely out of the blue to take the other Ford seat? I would highly doubt any of the current Stobart regulars being promoted.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The World Rally Championship thread

Post by DanielPT »

It was long overdue, I guess...

Here goes my small take on the Ogier to VW matter.

I won't dare to guess who is going to replace Latvala at Ford, since I assume he will replace Hirvonen as team leader. Malcom Wilson, I think, came forward a few weeks ago before Hirvonen signed for Citroen saying that Latvala was ready to fight for the championship, so I guess this is the line the team will follow. Perhaps they might promote Ott Tänak since Hanninen belongs to VW (through Skoda). If not I can only see them promoting one of the drivers from Stobart. After all that was the path of Latvala. So and judging from the overall standings this year and results, I would say the best bet is Mads Ostberg.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:If not I can only see them promoting one of the drivers from Stobart. After all that was the path of Latvala. So and judging from the overall standings this year and results, I would say the best bet is Mads Ostberg.

Somehow it slipped my mind Ostberg was driving for Stobart. I don't know why, but the team structure at M-Sport always confuses the hell out of me.

Here's a suggestion from way out of nowhere - Toni Gardemeister. I doubt he has a contract anywhere for next year and he has lots of WRC experience.
Nasser Al-Attiyah? Another M-Sport driver after leaving the VW setup.

Image Image
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Al-Attiyah is rumoured to drive a private Citroën for next season, maybe operated by PSWRT. Can't see Gardemeister doing a comeback either, he haven't been very active (or fast) lately. Ostberg has not been blindingly fast either. He was surprisingly good in Sweden but that's it.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Myrvold wrote:Al-Attiyah is rumoured to drive a private Citroën for next season, maybe operated by PSWRT. Can't see Gardemeister doing a comeback either, he haven't been very active (or fast) lately. Ostberg has not been blindingly fast either. He was surprisingly good in Sweden but that's it.

And he was also second in Wales. One point in favour of Ostberg was that this year, when having a problem free rally, we was the faster Stobart driver. Is he faster than Solberg? I don't know, but I think that from the Stobart crop he has the biggest potential. Besides, he is still young (two years younger than Latvala).
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Considering the financial problems PSWRT had at the tail-end of this season, I don't think it is at all safe to assume we will see him in a Citroen next year? It's why I still think he's the most likely candidate to move to Ford despite the history between them.

Image Image
jpm

Post by jpm »

Still of the opinion that it was a little short-sighted of Citroen to let Ogier go. However, I've always been a Mikko fan and look forward to seeing how he compares to Loeb in the same car. Latvala is now clearly a championship contender, that much is clear. I can' wait for 2012!

kostas22 wrote:Here's a suggestion from way out of nowhere - Toni Gardemeister. I doubt he has a contract anywhere for next year and he has lots of WRC experience.

Gardemeister did IRC this year in an old spec Skoda and failed to set the world alight. There are several big names in the IRC who may be attracted to the WRC, but only the SWRC, which was dominated by Hanninen this year. Andreas Mikklesen is one to watch, along with Thierry Nueville (rapid Belgian Peugeout driver in the IRC) Ott Tanak (Markko Martin's protege) and Jarkko Nikara (the best Pirelli driver the programme ever produced). Sadly, Guy Wilks hitting the big time hasn't really happened, and he had a dreadful year in the IRC.

I am also looking forward to seeing how Mini fare in a full season - Sordo and Meeke are obviously very capable drivers, and can develop the car to a good standard. As for my hero Petter Solberg, I reckon he'll join VW too, as he has previously indicated that his team will fold.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

kostas22 wrote:Considering the financial problems PSWRT had at the tail-end of this season, I don't think it is at all safe to assume we will see him in a Citroen next year? It's why I still think he's the most likely candidate to move to Ford despite the history between them.

Well, Petter is 99% sure not to drive a Citroën next year, some information is easy to pick from the norwegian sources ^^
But that doesn't mean his guys can't be paid to operate a car for someone else ;)

@Daniel: The only non works driver capable of mixing it into the top three without any retirements today are Petter, and I guess the second works Ford seat comes down to money just as much as speed if they can't get Petter og Ogier(which they can't now).
Mads on his side does have some good contacts regarding sponsors in Norway, but he is not as likable as Henning, and well, a big part of the norwegian rally fans dislike both him and his father (well, rather hate than dislike), after some episodes in the national championship the last 15 years.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Hmmm....hard to say who will fill in for Ford. Naturally as an American, I want to see Ken Block get the seat. Even if he is a car breaker. I'll be rooting for Latvala next year of course. I think he has what it takes to take on Loeb now.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I know just the man for the job. The ultimate F1 reject who went on to have a crack at rallying... Pedro Chaves!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

dinizintheoven wrote:I know just the man for the job. The ultimate F1 reject who went on to have a crack at rallying... Pedro Chaves!

On a slightly more serious but equally rejectful note - Stéphane Sarrazin! He actually has top level WRC experience! OK, so he was the tarmac 'expert' for Subaru for a couple of seasons, but it still counts for something!

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Good news everyone!

Ogier to compete full 2012 schedule in a Skoda Fabia S2000.

Although he won't fight for wins...

Myrvold wrote:@Daniel: The only non works driver capable of mixing it into the top three without any retirements today are Petter, and I guess the second works Ford seat comes down to money just as much as speed if they can't get Petter og Ogier(which they can't now).
Mads on his side does have some good contacts regarding sponsors in Norway, but he is not as likable as Henning, and well, a big part of the norwegian rally fans dislike both him and his father (well, rather hate than dislike), after some episodes in the national championship the last 15 years.

I am afraid the problems Norwegians might have with Mads should reveal themselves quite irrelevant in Ford choices. On the contrary, Petter history with Ford might be in itself slightly more problematic. It is true that Solberg is perhaps the most talented to deal to pose a threat to Loeb (after Ogier, of course), but somehow I cannot see it happen.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant if Ford decides to pull out of WRC (this is quite possible at this time).
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

kostas22 wrote:On a slightly more serious but equally rejectful note - Stéphane Sarrazin! He actually has top level WRC experience! OK, so he was the tarmac 'expert' for Subaru for a couple of seasons, but it still counts for something!

I thought of him as well, but hasn't he moved on to endurance racing? Still, at least none of us mentioned that other F1 driver with rally experience.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dinizintheoven wrote:
kostas22 wrote:On a slightly more serious but equally rejectful note - Stéphane Sarrazin! He actually has top level WRC experience! OK, so he was the tarmac 'expert' for Subaru for a couple of seasons, but it still counts for something!

I thought of him as well, but hasn't he moved on to endurance racing? Still, at least none of us mentioned that other F1 driver with rally experience.

Because we are having a serious conversation over here! :lol:

Otherwise I would say that Michèle Mouton performances in the F1RMGP WEC could be enough for Ford to bring her back into rallying! :D
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

DanielPT wrote:I am afraid the problems Norwegians might have with Mads should reveal themselves quite irrelevant in Ford choices. On the contrary, Petter history with Ford might be in itself slightly more problematic. It is true that Solberg is perhaps the most talented to deal to pose a threat to Loeb (after Ogier, of course), but somehow I cannot see it happen.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant if Ford decides to pull out of WRC (this is quite possible at this time).

Neither can I, Petter has showed to be a bit to full of himself in the interviews over phone on norwegian TV lately.
The problem for Østberg is that I can't see him getting a drive purely on merit, and I'm not sure he has enough backing in Norway to actually get in the seat. Mainly it is his father that works for sponsorship, but he is even less liked that Mads in Norway.
Anyway, someone in Norway had some information on the "new" second team for Ford, or rather, a full lineup.

Visit Qatar Citröen Total W.R.T.
Sebastien Loeb/Daniel Elena (F/MC) Citröen DS3 WRC
Mikko Hirvonen/Jarmo Lehtinen (FIN) Citröen DS3 WRC
Nasser Al-Attiyah/Giovanni Bernacchini (QA/I) Citröen DS3 WRC

Ford (Abu Dhabi) W.R.T.
Jari-Matti Latvala/Miikka Anttila (FIN) Ford Fiesta RS WRC
Ott Tänak / Kuldar Sikk (EE) Ford Fiesta RS WRC
Khalid Al Qassimi/Michael Orr (UAE/GB) Ford Fiesta RS WRC

MINI WRC Team (maybe 10 WRC events, all European rounds)
Daniel Sordo/Carlos del Barrio (E) MINI John Cooper Works WRC
Kris Meeke/Paul Nagle (GB/IRL) MINI John Cooper Works WRC

Adapta M-Sport Ford Rally Team Norway
Mads Østberg/Jonas Andersson (N/S) Ford Fiesta RS WRC
Petter Solberg/Chris Patterson (N/GB) Ford Fiesta RS WRC
Henning Solberg/Ilka Minor (N/A) Ford Fiesta RS WRC

FERM Power Tools World Rally Team
Denis Kuipers/Frédéric Miclotte (NL/B) Ford Fiesta RS WRC

Czech Ford National Team (10 WRC events, all European rounds)
Martin Prokop/Jan Tomanek (CZ) Ford Fiesta RS WRC

Monster Ford World Rally Team (6 WRC events)
Ken Block/Alex Gelsomino (USA/I) Ford Fiesta RS WRC

M-Sport Dealer (6 WRC events)
Jari Ketomaa/Mika Stenberg (FIN) Ford Fiesta RS WRC

World Rally Team Brazil
Daniel Oliveira/Carlos Magalhães (BR/P) MINI John Cooper Works WRC

Motorsport Italia (Prodrive)
Armindo Araujo/Miguel Ramalho (P) MINI John Cooper Works WRC

Van Merksteijn Motorsport (PH Sport)
Peter van Merksteyn Jr./Eddy Chevaillier (NL/B) Citröen DS3 WRC

Oh well, on a different note, just discovered a fresh new article here in norway.

"Approaching Ford
Both Petter (37) and Henning Solberg (38) is working for a factory ride in Ford for next season.

The wet dream for Norwegian rally fans can finally become a reality. Bot the brothers are in touch with team boss Malcolm Wilson trying to get the second seat beside Finn Jari-Matti Latvala.

Last season, Ford had three cars in the factory team. The main driver Mikko Hirvonen has signed a contract with Citroën for the coming season. That opens a spot for a new top driver.

Also, Volkswagen is a possible solution, but the newly established team will use 2012 to develop a competitive rally car and has already written a three-year contract with the shooting star Sebastien Ogier from Citroen.

Without the full WRC effort and with a young, rising star in the team, it seems that option is not quite as interesting to the younger brother Solberg - although the parties have been at the negotiating table.

The disadvantage of a possible Ford deal is that the world champion from 2003 have buy a place. That can easily cost some ten to twenty millions, and even more..

The third option is to continue with a private team from last year - even though it practically has proven too difficult to win both the World Championships and WRC events that way.

Something of the same Ford-solution can open up to big brother Henning Solberg. If he increases his own contribution by 5-10 million, the 38-year-old can get the third car, which this year has been driven by Arab Khalid Al Qassimi.

The third prize in the season finale increased opportunity for just that.

- I'm working for the second or third car in the Ford. With even better position in the team, I will get greater priority and more test run. I'm glad I got it through this season without any priority or any tests at all, says Henning Solberg.

For the third consecutive year the duo show off for tens of thousands of spectators inside the Fornebu with Solberg Extreme Motor Show this Saturday afternoon.

Finnish Latvala have to cancel due to test drives, but Kris Meek, Mads and especially IRC champion Andreas Mikkelsen will make it to the show with the Solberg brothers."

That was a very quick translate of that news :)

dinizintheoven wrote:

He has, and drives for Peugeot in asphalt rallies in the IRC if it doesn't clash with testing of racing for Peugeot in endurance :)
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

I wasn't exactly shocked with Ogier's signing with Volkswagen, in fact I was pondering the possibility just hours before! It's a shame that he has to go back to a Skoda S2000 car for next season though, which all but guarantees Loeb a 9th title now that Hirvonen has signed to be the number 2/backup driver for Citroen. (I can't see Latvala or the Mini's being consistent enough to put up a championship challenge, sadly).

I think Ott Tanak would be a great choice for the second Ford seat - he's already proven that he has pace at Rally GB, using tyres that had never been run on WRC cars before and he did quite well in the SWRC this season. I can't really see any of the drivers from the privateer Ford teams stepping up to the factory seat, possibly with the exception of Ostberg.

Also, please check out my set of photos from Rally Australia this year [/self-promotion].
This is a cool spot.
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Next season is going to be a Loeb walkover with Hirvonen probably allowed to win in Sweden and Finland. I can see Latvala challenging the Citroens but he needs to learn to put together perfect weekends, otherwise he won't have a chance since the Fiesta is obviously the inferior car.

I think Ogier made the right choice by moving to VW. Now he can develop the Polo to his liking and atleast he gets paid for the next 24 months while probably fighting for the title in 2013. After all, Ford has not committed themselves to the championship for 2012 as of this day (correct me if I'm wrong) and there is only so much M-Sport could do by themselves. Plus, M-Sport are on a budget anyway. There's also rumours that Ford's main sponsor Abu Dhabi won't stick around for another season, which would be a really bad hit for the teams already strained financials. I think the second Ford seat will go to Henning (yes, but he has backing atleast) or Tänak. If it comes down to Östberg or Tänak I think we all know who is the more promising driver out of the two.

Besides Ogier, the VW driver pool consists of Mikkelsen and Hänninen. What Vag should do is to get Ogier, Hänninen and Mikkelsen all compete in the 2012 SWRC with a Fabia each, then Vag have a really good measurement of who to employ as their second manufacturer driver for 2013. I also believe Hermann Gassner, Jr. could be up for contention, atleast for a 3rd car, once the 2013 season rolls around since he is supported by Red Bull, has driven the Fabia and is a young promising German.

What I'm looking forward to in 2012 is MINI's progress. If they continue working hard I could see Sordo challenge Loeb on the tarmac events.

I don't know what Petter should do. Maybe, as a poster mentioned above, he should run a two car DS3 team with Al-Attiyah bringing in the sponsorship from Qatar?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Benetton wrote:Next season is going to be a Loeb walkover with Hirvonen probably allowed to win in Sweden and Finland. I can see Latvala challenging the Citroens but he needs to learn to put together perfect weekends, otherwise he won't have a chance since the Fiesta is obviously the inferior car.

I think Ogier made the right choice by moving to VW. Now he can develop the Polo to his liking and atleast he gets paid for the next 24 months while probably fighting for the title in 2013. After all, Ford has not committed themselves to the championship for 2012 as of this day (correct me if I'm wrong) and there is only so much M-Sport could do by themselves. Plus, M-Sport are on a budget anyway. There's also rumours that Ford's main sponsor Abu Dhabi won't stick around for another season, which would be a really bad hit for the teams already strained financials. I think the second Ford seat will go to Henning (yes, but he has backing atleast) or Tänak. If it comes down to Östberg or Tänak I think we all know who is the more promising driver out of the two.

Besides Ogier, the VW driver pool consists of Mikkelsen and Hänninen. What Vag should do is to get Ogier, Hänninen and Mikkelsen all compete in the 2012 SWRC with a Fabia each, then Vag have a really good measurement of who to employ as their second manufacturer driver for 2013. I also believe Hermann Gassner, Jr. could be up for contention, atleast for a 3rd car, once the 2013 season rolls around since he is supported by Red Bull, has driven the Fabia and is a young promising German.

What I'm looking forward to in 2012 is MINI's progress. If they continue working hard I could see Sordo challenge Loeb on the tarmac events.

I don't know what Petter should do. Maybe, as a poster mentioned above, he should run a two car DS3 team with Al-Attiyah bringing in the sponsorship from Qatar?

Or perhaps finally give Patrik Sandell his big break at the top level of WRC after spending half a decade in the lower classes. And, yet another Scandinavian driver...Eyvind Brynildsen. And if VW decides to run a full junior team, Yeray Lemes is worth a look imo.

Image Image
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Would be fun with Brynildsen, but no, there are way more talented guys out there sadly.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96585
A minor blip or the beginning of a series of unfortunate events?

I wouldn't imagine news like this would make a huge difference to the Ford execs who decide whether to continue funding a works programme, but you never know...

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

kostas22 wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96585
A minor blip or the beginning of a series of unfortunate events?

I wouldn't imagine news like this would make a huge difference to the Ford execs who decide whether to continue funding a works programme, but you never know...

If one of the reasons for Ford to think about pulling out is the future of WRC and its current commercial direction it, these might turn out to be good news. But let's wait for the Ford suits decision...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

News that I think is wonderful: Petter Solberg signs for a works team!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:News that I think is wonderful: Petter Solberg signs for a works team!

Now I am can stay more positive about next year WRC. Solberg was, after all, the last WRC champion who is not called Sebastian Loeb. And I presume this also confirms Ford for another year in the sport. I am relieved then!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:
dr-baker wrote:News that I think is wonderful: Petter Solberg signs for a works team!

Now I am can stay more positive about next year WRC. Solberg was, after all, the last WRC champion who is not called Sebastian Loeb. And I presume this also confirms Ford for another year in the sport. I am relieved then!

It does indeed, for another two years.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

It does indeed, for another two years.

That means 2013 is shaping up to be a good year (finally!) for rallying with Citroen (unless they pull out), Ford, Mini and VW (hope these two become competitive). It is a neat prospect.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

What we must not forget however is the fate of the satellite Ford team is not sealed yet. Stobart's deal expired at the end of this season and as far as I'm aware they haven't found a replacement. Henning should be ok with his Expert & Hurtigruta Carglass sponsorship, but the boss' son actually isn't guaranteed a drive for once & Mads Østberg hasn't got anything signed yet, but is making the right noises regarding finance so far.

Ott Tänak has a contract with M-Sport, but it doesn't specify what he will do with them from season to season. If they can't find enough money to give him a customer car will he spend another season in SWRC? He might be the only driver capable of stopping Ogier from winning it in 2012.

Image Image
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Neuville will drive 10 rally's for Citroën Junior team. Will also continue to drive the Peugeot here and there (including Ypres, which is very logical for a Belgian driver)
(my source qoutes La Derniere Heure as source)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

2013 sounds like it could be an interesting year in WRC.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

kostas22 wrote:Henning should be ok with his Expert & Hurtigruta Carglass sponsorship, but the boss' son actually isn't guaranteed a drive for once & Mads Østberg hasn't got anything signed yet, but is making the right noises regarding finance so far.

Henning doesn't have that much support from Expert anymore, and LUDO isn't a very rich company.
As I've said, Østberg father&son is not too popular in Norway, and they are finding it a bit tougher than usual to get sponors, because, well, Anders Grøndal, Eyvind Brynildsen, Petter Solberg, Henning Solberg and Andreas Mikkelsen are more popular, honest and nice guys.

Btw, reading in Norway about this. Loeb and Hirvonen get payed to drive. Latvala doesn't get any money, while Petter pays for his ride (but he might as well have private sponsors that pays him salary, but, he have to pay to drive for Ford). There are also sources that says that Henning is secure almost whatever backing he has, and that Petter wouldn't have the seat, if it hadn't been for Henning (but the guy who reports this cannot say his sources).
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

This wrote:Neuville will drive 10 rally's for Citroën Junior team. Will also continue to drive the Peugeot here and there (including Ypres, which is very logical for a Belgian driver)

Yes, I also found out about this and the person who said it makes it kind of hard to discredit;
Thierry Neuville Promoted To Citroen Junior Team, Van Merksteijns Retained

Image Image
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

kostas22 wrote:
This wrote:Neuville will drive 10 rally's for Citroën Junior team. Will also continue to drive the Peugeot here and there (including Ypres, which is very logical for a Belgian driver)

Yes, I also found out about this and the person who said it makes it kind of hard to discredit;

:lol: :lol: :lol:

On another note, I think Neuville deserves his shot at the WRC. After all, he was still mathematically able to take the title with one race to go, and only retired from the rally due to a mechanical failure.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

tommykl wrote:
kostas22 wrote:
On another note, I think Neuville deserves his shot at the WRC. After all, he was still mathematically able to take the title with one race to go, and only retired from the rally due to a mechanical failure.

I'm not out of it, in IRC he performed brilliant, but the years before that, i found him somewhat average for being 'the next big thing', i guess that's maturity?

and don't laugh about my source, it did not have so much information :P
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Actually Neuville showed a lot of talent in the final seaosn of the JWRC when driving a Citroen C2 S1600. He was very very fast, but he would usually end up destroying the car at some point during Day 2. If he can fix that, he's got potential.

Image Image
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I'm actually going to try and follow the WRC properly for the first time next year, with all these driver changes, as well as Mini being in it and VW coming in for 2013.

Does anyone know if it's going to shown on free-to-air TV in the UK for 2012?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

No. I think ESPN still have the rights for next season.

However, I know somewhere on the internet where you can watch ESPN for free. PM me if you want the link. The daily highlights will appear on their TV schedule at tv.espn.co.uk

Image Image
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

kostas22 wrote:Actually Neuville showed a lot of talent in the final seaosn of the JWRC when driving a Citroen C2 S1600. He was very very fast, but he would usually end up destroying the car at some point during Day 2. If he can fix that, he's got potential.

perhaps, the thought of him being dissapointing in belgian rallys was probably because loix was simply outstanding in belgian rallys, which is something we are used to, and considering only recently he started to have good european results, it's easy to think that someone like Neuville isn't that special. However it seemed IRC got the Belgians going again. Also with the dissapearing of the old guys like Thiry, Duez, Snijers and the stubborn decisions of Duval, and Tsjoen winning everything simply by running a C4 WRC when others run S2000's, Gr N's or Porsches there is some need to support fresh talent, thankfully it seems to work. Having a team like Kronos is not a bad thing either.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

But I think we should fully expect them to compete in 2012, judging by that article. Just need to resolve a few issues between Prodrive and BMW.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

And here we were,saying good things about next season... One cannot be too complimentary these days. :?
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Hayden Paddon has signed for Skoda in SWRC. Give it 12 months and I bet he is Ogier's team-mate at VW...

Image Image