Favorite Racing Book?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Favorite Racing Book?

Post by Wallio »

We have a thread about racing films, what about books? They could be fiction or not. Here's mine.

The Mechanic's Tale by Steve Matchett
The Chariots Makers by Steve Matchett
Tales from the Drag Strip by Don Garlits
A Complete Race History of the GT40 by Ronnie Spain
The Ulitmate Guide to American Muscle Cars by Jim Glastonbury
Super Stock by Larry Davis
Deadly Obsessions by Phil Shirley
They Call Them Supercars by John Gunnel

Whats your favs? Mods, if this already exists, feel free to delete/merge.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AndreaModa

Re: Favorite Racing Book?

Post by AndreaModa »

I have an absolutely knackered paperback copy of Damon Hill's 'Grand Prix Year', his account of the '94 season. I was given it as a youngster, probably around 95, 96, and have read it so many times since! Speaking of which, it could use a re-read about now! :lol:

I also recently bought Bernie's biography written by Tom Bowyer, entitled 'No Angel' which is turning into a great read, very fascinating. It's quite a big read, but definitely worth it. I never knew quite how Bernie rose to where he is now, and it gives a great account of how he managed it.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Not strictly books in the classic sense, but I quite much enjoy the few Michel Vaillant comics I have.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

It's one of the few books concerning racing that I actually own, but I found Jackie Stewart's autobiography Winning Is Not Enough to be quite a good read.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Tom Rubython's biographies on Senna and Hunt are absolutely brilliant reads.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

My Fav books are;

Overdrive; Formula 1 in the Zone by Clyde Brolin.... for the reasons I had already stated in the 'Senna Film' Thread (i.e. reading it massively improved my racing ability. Mainly from discovering alot about how to prepare & manage one's mind during a long distance race). Also Deadly Obsessions by Phil Shirley, for simliar reasons.

Winning is Not Enough, the autobiography by Sir Jackie Stewart....When I read what that poor wee Scotsman went through & how he acted (i.e. remaining classy throughout his life). Words could not even begin to describe how much respect I have for JYS ' the man'. Truly great read, which I found very inspirational.

The Lost Generation by David Tremayne....The book is biography of three British Formula One drivers: Tony Brise, Tom Pryce and Roger Williamson. It is well researched, well written & very heart-warming and moving to say the least.

Memories of Ayrton by Christopher Hilton...Great tribute to the man. The book is simply pages of small stories told by those who ever came into contact with Ayrton, from his early go-karting days...to that tragic weekend in Imola 1994. It's the sort of book you can just pick up when you have 1 hour free, flick to a page & instantly become ingrossed into a particularly funny, or heart wreching tale. Brilliant idea for a book IMO.

The Mechanic's Tale by Steve Matchett...I loved the accounts Steve gave from inside the F1 pitlane. Brings a different perspective on F1. Also Steve is a master at explaining techincal/difficult things in a clear & concise way. I don't think I've read The Chariots Makers by Steve Matchett what is that like?

Gerald Donaldson's biography of Gilles Villeneuve...I'm a massive fan of GV (if you haven't already noticed) so I was always going to love this.

Gerald Donaldson's biography of Juan Manuel Fangio...Ditto above point

Murray Walker Autobiography; Unless I'm Very Much Mistaken....It's Murray Walker's autobiography, need I say anymore? Except perhaps ditto the above.

Grand Prix Sabotuers by Joe Saward....Brilliant book which tells the tale of 3 racing drivers who in the outbreak of WW2 left their life of luxury & comfort to join the SOE & fight against the Nazi's. Their are many tales of daring adventures which gives the reader just a small glimse into the many dangers a resistance fighter would have to regularly face in wartime Paris. I read the book two or three times, in succession, cover to cover. I loved it that much. In fact after reading this book I was inspired to learn more about the SOE & WW2, so much so, that I've now pretty much watched any documentaries & films related to either.

Now I feel like a book critic, after all of that.
Last edited by ibsey on 04 Mar 2012, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

...Ah forgot to mention EJ's autobiography as well. Even though I hate EJ on the BBC coverage as much as the next man. Believe or not his book is actually a pretty good read. Fully of funny tales of his early racing days & clever F1 deals (including ones where EJ wasn't involved in).

I'm sure there are some other books which currently have slipped my mind also.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ibsey wrote:Grand Prix Sabotuers by Joe Saward....Brilliant book which tells the tale of 3 racing drivers who in the outbreak of WW2 left their life of luxury & comfort to join the SOE & fight against the Nazi's. Their are many tales of daring adventures which gives the reader just a small glimse into the many dangers a resistance fighter would have to regularly face in wartime Paris. I read the book two or three times, in succession, I loved it that much. In fact after reading this book I was inspired to learn more about the SOE & WW2, so much so, that I've now pretty much watched any documentaries & films related to the two.

That's a book I haven't read but would love to do so.

A bit nerdy, but the only F1 books I currently have with me at uni are Grand Prix Who's Who by Steve Small and Grand Prix Data Book by Davids Hayhoe and Holland. Murray Walker's Grand Prix Years from the mid-1990s were excellent books.

Will add to this list when I next go home to add to this.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

dr-baker wrote:That's a book I haven't read but would love to do so.

Oh I honestly couldn't recommmend it highly enough. Joe Saward the writer apparently spent years researching & writting it. I found it extermely moving & I am not afraid to say the book made me cry on many occassions.

After reading that book, I was inspired to learnt more about the SOE & particularly other SOE agents/employee's, some of which crop up in that book, but who weren't the books main focus . People like Henri Dericourt who apparently was a 'triple' agent (working for SOE, SIS & the Nazi's). Or 'Garbo' who help win the war, by constantly feeding bad intelligence to the Nazi's before, during & even after the DDay landings. Or an agent called Popov (sp?) whom the character James Bond was based on & whom tried to warn the CIA about Pearl Harbour before it happened. But J Edgar Hoveer (the head of the CIA) thought this particular agent was a Nazi spy (for no real reason), so he wouldn't listen to his very valid intelligence!!!

Some of the secrets & stuff I learnt was simply mind blowing. For instance the 'brains' behind the Apollo space mission which successful landed on the moon, were the Nazi's whom were responsible for the V2 rockets. But the Americans snatched them from under the Russians noses in the last days of WW2 & never punished them for their crimes (using Jewish slaves to build their rockets). Instead they got them working on the Apollo mission.

Honestly. I have the book to thank, for kick starting this journey of learning about WW2 & its many hidden secrets. It is fair to say that after F1/motorracing my main passion is discovering 'secrets' from WW2. Thanks in no small part to Grand Prix Sabotuers.
Last edited by ibsey on 05 Mar 2012, 02:07, edited 2 times in total.

midgrid

Post by midgrid »

ibsey wrote:After reading that book, I was inspired to learnt more about the SOE & particularly some of the other SOE agents/employee's that crop up in that book, but who weren't the books main focus . People like Henri Dericourt who apparently was a 'triple' agent (working for SOE, SIS & the Nazi's). Or 'Garbo' who help win the war, by constantly feeding bad intelligence to the Nazi's before, during & even after the D Day landings. Or an agent called Popov (sp?) whom the character James Bond was based on.

Some of the secrets & stuff I learnt was simply mind blowing. Honestly. For which I have the book to thank, for kick starting that journey. It is fair to say that after F1 my main passion is discovering 'sercrets' from WW2. Thanks in no small part to Grand Prix Sabotuers.

Agreed, I studied history at university and espionage during WWII was one of my favourite subjects. It's great to see authors like Ben Macintyre investigating particular aspects of it, e.g. Agent Zigzag, Operation Mincemeat, and producing popular books and TV specials which have a wide appeal and audience.

Back on topic, some books I would recommend that haven't already been mentioned. All are fairly recent and should be easy to get hold of.

Inside the Mind of the Grand Prix Driver, by Christopher Hilton. I imagine that this is similar in scope to Overdrive, and it contains some interesting testimonies from Grand Prix drivers past and present (it was published c. 2003) about various aspects of their careers, many of which I had not read about in detail before, e.g. Karl Wendlinger's rehabilitation following his crash at Monaco in 1994.

Memoirs of a Racing Man, by Jo Ramirez. Very entertaining and insightful, from the days of the Rodríguez brothers, through stints at Eagle, Fittipaldi (and others), to managing the Senna-Prost relationship at McLaren.

Crashed and Byrned, by Tommy Byrne & Mark Hughes; Flat Out, Flat Broke! by Perry McCarthy. Two entertaining accounts of promising careers stymied by lack of finance, and adventures in the lower end of the F1 grid (or off it completely in McCarthy's case).

Bernie's Game, a.k.a. Bernie Ecclestone: King of Sport, by Terry Lovell. Written by an investigative journalist some years before the recent publication of the biographies by Susan Watkins and Tom Bower. I haven't read the latter two books, but I have read reviews by those of have which cast Lovell's work in a favourable light.

Next, three excellent racing biographies: Enzo Ferrari: A Life, by Richard Williams; Piers Courage: Last of the Gentleman Racers, by Adam Cooper; and Jochen Rindt: Uncrowned King, by David Tremayne.

I also like to buy large-scale photographic books (e.g. the Haynes series of ____ in Camera), and Autocourse annuals.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I forgot about "No Angel". Awesome book, but the facts they got wrong they got wayyyy wrong, like saying water cooled brakes occurred after the Imola boycott, instead of being the reason for it.

Grand Prix Sabotuers sounds awesome, and I can only guess its what the video game "The Sabotuer" is based off of. In it you play as a Grand Prix Driver who aids Le Resistance. Great game, I'll have to get the book.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
inchworm

Post by inchworm »

Grand Prix Saboteurs is a great book - I'd recommend to anyone.

Perry McCarthy's autobiography "Flat out flat broke" is fantastic. Lot's of brilliant rejectfulness and a very, very funny read.

What I'm on the look out for is a good biography of Mario Andretti, but I can't find one - any ideas?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

For a less serious read, EJ's autobiography is pretty good. David Coulthard's is another I have, and although it starts quite well, he does have to pad it out a bit towards the end.

In more serious terms, look no further than 'The Life of Senna' or Jackie Stewart's autobiography. Very informative, and both read like movie scripts with tons of drama in both.

I do have a great many F1 related books. A good book that deals more in the whole history of motorsport (up to about 2007) is 'The Chequered Flag' by Ivan Rendall. It includes loads of pre-war pictures and accounts too.

The worst racing book I have is Lewis Hamilton's 'autobiography'. My mum bought it for me (despite not being a fan of Hamilton at all) and it makes me wonder why he even bothered, seeing as it was released after his first F1 season. And it's padded out with pictures and some blank pages as well. Not worth the effort, really.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:The worst racing book I have is Lewis Hamilton's 'autobiography'. My mum bought it for me (despite not being a fan of Hamilton at all) and it makes me wonder why he even bothered, seeing as it was released after his first F1 season. And it's padded out with pictures and some blank pages as well. Not worth the effort, really.

To cash in, seeing as Lewisteria was at it's peak. It's like those books released by X-Craptor contestants about 4 months into their career, talking about stuff that I couldn't care less about. I haven't read it as a principle, because I just knew it wouldn't be worth it.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:David Coulthard's is another I have, and although it starts quite well, he does have to pad it out a bit towards the end.

Yeah. I know what you mean. How many times does he use the phase "it is what it is", throughout the book. Gets beyond annoying IMO. Having said that I did enjoy some aspects of it. Like how reckoned Mclaren were always favouring Mika over him as well as some of the non F1 related stories. Like when Heidi (DC's ex) got really drunk then was sick in the garden at dinner with some important guests.

Just wanted to add Nigel Mansell's autobiography (Co written by James Allen IIRC) is also a pretty decent read. Although as you may expect, he does come across as a bit of a windger in it. Particularly IIRC from his Lotus days. Nevertheless there are some interesting stories in it, like how he earnt Keke Rosberg's respect in 1985 & on how Prost was trying to get his Williams drive in 1992 etc.

I agree the Lewis Hamilton book was awful. Suprisingly I also found Micheal Schumacher's book (also written by James Allen) to be fairly dull as well. Particularly given all the incidents Schumacher was involved in. Rather than an honest 'no holding back' account of his views on matters. To me the book felt more like 500 pages of PR speak, praise how great Schumacher was instead. To say James Allen does some a*se licking in this book, would be a massive understatement.

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Ah just remember another good book, which is worth a mention here. Chequered Conflict by Maurice Hamilton. In it Maurice gives an enjoyable account of the 1986 & 2007 F1 seasons, (including some good insight into 'Spygate').

However more interestingly he compares the two seasons. Drawing parallels with the championship battles in those years. You would be suprised just how simliar they both are, like Hungary 1986 & 2007. In both races a aggrevied 'Latin' former WC tries to stuff over his new 'British' teammate. Along with how the sport has changed in two decades.

Even though this book is well worth a read. You get the feeling Maurice doesn't quite expose everything he knows behind the Spygate. I guess that's understandable given he has to work in the F1 paddock. But it does leave you wanting more.

Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

OK...quite a few books that might be in this list when I get around to reading them, including one of Steve Matchett's, biogs of Enzo Ferrari, Stirling Moss, and James Hunt. Oh, and '1982' by Christopher Hilton.

Of the ones I've read, I love Murray Walker's Grand Prix Year books (NOT the ones after his name disappeared, when they thought a 'laddish' tone would be hilarious)
The 2 other factual books I refer to regularly are a paperback copy of 'The Grand Prix Who's Who' by Steve Small (2nd Edition) and 'The Guinness Book of International Motor Racing' by Peter Higham - I think there was only ever one edition of that, but it's really good.

My absolute favourite though is 'Echoes of Imola' by David Tremayne - there are lots of lovely reminiscences by drivers in that about Grands Prix down the years. I can read this again and again, but cannot get through Erik Comas' account of 1994 without crying my eyes out.

Sounds like I need to get 'The Lost Generation' then - I keep meaning to. Is 'Grand Prix Battlegrounds' any good?
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Barbazza wrote:'1982' by Christopher Hilton.

That is a book I am desperate to read.

Not F1 but would recommend...

Le Mans 24 Hours: The Official History of the World's Greatest Motor Race 1970-79

The photo's contained in it are simply stunning. They actually make you so jealous, that you weren't their driving those beatiful cars yourself.

midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Barbazza wrote:Sounds like I need to get 'The Lost Generation' then - I keep meaning to. Is 'Grand Prix Battlegrounds' any good?

It's alright, but I would recommend The Lost Generation over it any day of the week.

ibsey wrote:Not F1 but would recommend...

Le Mans 24 Hours: The Official History of the World's Greatest Motor Race 1970-79

The photo's contained in it are simply stunning. They actually make you so jealous, that you weren't their driving those beatiful cars yourself.

Yes! Also available in 1950s and 1960s volumes, with more hopefully to follow.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
F1 Adam

Post by F1 Adam »

There were two F1 season reviews from 1998 and 1999 that I can't remember the exact name of (probably something hugely exciting like 'Formula 1 1998/1999'). Pretty standard books, but at the back they both had written a mock review of what would happen the following year. It was basically a giant piss-take of the season and my childish sense of humour always found that very funny.

I can't even remember some of the stuff they said now, it was so long ago. It did inspire me to write my own version for 2009 though.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Another book I should mention thats worth checking out is Martin Brundle's Working the Wheel.

In it Martin talks about what it takes to succeed at most of the GP tracks he's ever driven in F1 as well as the Le Mans track. What makes it enjoyable, is Martin also gives his various race experiences at those tracks (even his testing experiences also). If you've ever watched any of his commentaries, you'll know how frank & witty Martin can describe things, which is exactly what he does in this book.

A good example is his race at the Adelaide circuit in 1989. Where he spun halfway down the back straight a few times, but managed to find 1st gear & contiune. As Martin, accelrated away, he suddenly realised he couldn't recall how many times he had spun. Therefore, given that he was virtually blinded by the severe wet conditions. He wasn't sure if he was driving down the straight in the correct direction or not.

Stories like this made me giggle on more than a few occasions. Furthermore I was lucky enough to meet him, when I brought my (signed) copy & he seems a throughly decent fella.
Last edited by ibsey on 06 Mar 2012, 10:30, edited 3 times in total.

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I've only read Steve Matchett's: The Mechanics Tale. But there's loads of books you guys have mentioned I would love to read. The WWII Espionage book sounds like a fantastic read, as does books About Imola, Jackie Stewart, Martin Brundle, Tommy Byrne (read a massive interview about him once) and especially Perry McCarthy. Must hunt on Amazon later and place an order or two.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

My favourite racing book is "Overdrive: Formula 1 in the Zone" by Clyde Brolin because it really gives a sense of how racing drivers (and other top-level sportspeople) think.

EJ's autobiography is very funny, and the biography of him by Timothy Collings is also interesting.

I have read "Bernie's Game" (but not the updated "King of Sport" version) and if you can tolerate its sometimes heavy, humourless tone, it is extremely interesting and full of detail.

I'm currently reading Tom Rubython's "The Life of Senna" and enjoying it, though I would probably enjoy it more if I hadn't got the impression I'd read half of it back when he was publisher for Formula 1 Magazine...

BaconLettuceNinja, if you want truly terrible reading (and Lewisteria-filled to boot), try Lewis Hamilton - The Rise of F1's New Superstar by Ian Clarke and Adrian Spragg. 64 pages long (without being aimed at children the way at least one short book about Lewis is), going into very little detail and with pretty standard photos. Also, it stops right after Hungary, without mentioning anything about Fernando except that he got beaten by the kid from Stevenage a lot. Got it for 99 p at a discount shop in mid-2008 and still felt short-changed.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Alianora La Canta wrote:BaconLettuceNinja, if you want truly terrible reading (and Lewisteria-filled to boot), try Lewis Hamilton - The Rise of F1's New Superstar by Ian Clarke and Adrian Spragg. 64 pages long (without being aimed at children the way at least one short book about Lewis is), going into very little detail and with pretty standard photos. Also, it stops right after Hungary, without mentioning anything about Fernando except that he got beaten by the kid from Stevenage a lot. Got it for 99 p at a discount shop in mid-2008 and still felt short-changed.

I've got that! 50p in a charity shop, half what you paid and still a rip-off. Anyone who paid full price for that must have felt like a total clot. It was cashing in at its most flagrant.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
DSedgwick

Post by DSedgwick »

Here's my top F1 reads:

Recently read a book about the 1961 season entitled 'The Limit' - some interesting
stuff abot Ferrari and Hill/Von Trips partnership - manages to evoque the era
pretty well and definitely worth a read.

Another favourite I'd recommend is the excellent 'Viking Drivers' which charts the
careers of Ronnie Peterson and Gunnar Nilsson. Really good read - there's a lovely
bit which describes how the young Nilsson was watching the Monaco GP (must have
been in the '60s) and apparently he leapt off the family sofa and declared his
ambition to be a racing driver! Highly recommended.

A third title is one that I have sadly lost somewhere: Nigel Roebuck's excellent
portrait of his favourite drivers: Grand Prix Greats. As ever with Nigel some really
insightful portraits. If you have read Nigel's work then the usual suspects are here:
Villeneuve, Pironi, Prost together with some unexpected additions such as
Patrick Depaillier. Superb read.

And finally, I quite enjoyed Malcolm Folley's 'Senna versus Prost'. I was particualrly
pleased to read a book that was more pro Prost than most literature written about
this fantastic partnership. Certainly maanged to bring back memories - especially
of the professpr churning out fastest lap after fastest lap as he slowly but surely
wound in the hare ahead.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

ibsey wrote:
dr-baker wrote:That's a book I haven't read but would love to do so.

Oh I honestly couldn't recommmend it highly enough. Joe Saward the writer apparently spent years researching & writting it. I found it extermely moving & I am not afraid to say the book made me cry on many occassions.

After reading that book, I was inspired to learnt more about the SOE & particularly other SOE agents/employee's, some of which crop up in that book, but who weren't the books main focus . People like Henri Dericourt who apparently was a 'triple' agent (working for SOE, SIS & the Nazi's). Or 'Garbo' who help win the war, by constantly feeding bad intelligence to the Nazi's before, during & even after the DDay landings. Or an agent called Popov (sp?) whom the character James Bond was based on & whom tried to warn the CIA about Pearl Harbour before it happened. But J Edgar Hoveer (the head of the CIA) thought this particular agent was a Nazi spy (for no real reason), so he wouldn't listen to his very valid intelligence!!!

Some of the secrets & stuff I learnt was simply mind blowing. For instance the 'brains' behind the Apollo space mission which successful landed on the moon, were the Nazi's whom were responsible for the V2 rockets. But the Americans snatched them from under the Russians noses in the last days of WW2 & never punished them for their crimes (using Jewish slaves to build their rockets). Instead they got them working on the Apollo mission.

Honestly. I have the book to thank, for kick starting this journey of learning about WW2 & its many hidden secrets. It is fair to say that after F1/motorracing my main passion is discovering 'secrets' from WW2. Thanks in no small part to Grand Prix Sabotuers.

I got that book for my father and I borrowed it later. Superb book and a great piece of exhaustive and through research.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

ibsey wrote:Another book I should mention thats worth checking out is Martin Brundle's Working the Wheel.

In it Martin talks about what it takes to succeed at most of the GP tracks he's ever driven in F1 as well as the Le Mans track. What makes it enjoyable, is Martin also gives his various race experiences at those tracks (even his testing experiences also). If you've ever watched any of his commentaries, you'll know how frank & witty Martin can describe things, which is exactly what he does in this book.

A good example is his race at the Adelaide circuit in 1989. Where he spun halfway down the back straight a few times, but managed to find 1st gear & contiune. As Martin, accelrated away, he suddenly realised he couldn't recall how many times he had spun. Therefore, given that he was virtually blinded by the severe wet conditions. He wasn't sure if he was driving down the straight in the correct direction or not.

Stories like this made me giggle on more than a few occasions. Furthermore I was lucky enough to meet him, when I brought my (signed) copy & he seems a throughly decent fella.

I'm just re-reading that now!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Four good books that haven't been mentioned:

"Life of Spice: The Autobiography of Gordon Spice" - very good book on an under-rated driver and very good businessman.
"Forza Minardi!" - self-explanatory and contains some great stories and anecdotes.
"Echoes of Imola" - great book on the history of the Imola circuit, not entirely dominated by Senna's accident.
"March: The Rise and Fall of a Motor Racing Legend" - very complete, good photos and lots of anecdotes.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Erm, see above for my thoughts on 'Echoes of Imola'!!
Blue Brazil

Post by Blue Brazil »

Tricky one, but I'd probably go for the Cevert book by Jean-Claude Halle. Cevert was a driver who had intrigued me since I first got into racing. To me, he was the epitome of the romantic image of a racing driver. The great thing about the book is that a lot of Cevert's own words are used. Halle clearly had good access and made good use of it. Compare that to something like the absolutely hellish Ronnie Mutch abomination that was Niki and the Grand Prix Gladiators. The Cevert book was also published not very long after his death and so gives a fascinating snapshot of a period in F1 history. Only downside is it's pretty rare and therefore commands high prices. The French language version can be picked up far cheaper.

Other books I have thoroughly enjoyed are the Tommy Byrne autobiography, The Lost Generation and Remembering Elio. The latter is by no means one of the all time great racing books, but just a nice tribute to a nice man, with some great images. The book about Gilles by Gerald Donaldson was also a very good read. I recently acquired a copy of Memories of Ronnie Peterson. Really well produced with some fantastic pictures, it could easily be read in one sitting.

Worst book I have read is probably Tom bloody Rubython prattling on about Senna. Either that or the aforementioned Ronnie Mutch's 'masterpiece.'
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Barbazza wrote:Erm, see above for my thoughts on 'Echoes of Imola'!!

I stand corrected, good sir.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I'm really enjoying "In the Name of Hope and Glory" about the 1976 fight between Hunt and Lauda (and McLaren/Ferrari). Makes me wish I'd been around to see it then! :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I just bought Niki Lauda's old autobiography 'To Hell and Back' on eBay. I'm looking forward to reading it.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

One of the best F1 related books I have read is Unraced... by S.S Collins. It tells the story of unraced f1 cars, including the secret Honda works efforts, the DAMS cardboard box, the 1997 lola, and the Mclaren MP4/18, among others. The book goes into detail about the development of the cars and why they were never raced, along with colour photos!! :lol: another good book is Wheel to Wheel by Alan J
Henry, detailing the rivalries between drivers. Although it is a bit old ( the newest rivalry is Hill v Schumacher) it is still a good read
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

pasta_maldonado wrote:One of the best F1 related books I have read is Unraced... by S.S Collins. It tells the story of unraced f1 cars, including the secret Honda works efforts, the DAMS cardboard box, the 1997 lola, and the Mclaren MP4/18, among others. The book goes into detail about the development of the cars and why they were never raced, along with colour photos!! :lol: another good book is Wheel to Wheel by Alan J
Henry, detailing the rivalries between drivers. Although it is a bit old ( the newest rivalry is Hill v Schumacher) it is still a good read

I have 'Unraced' and I didn't think much of it. The photos are decent but nothing out of ordinary and the text is not dissimilar from anything that can be found online. Maybe I expected too much because even just here we have discussed pretty much all of the cars mentioned in the book, but I suppose not everyone that would have bought the book had access to the kind of discussions that we have around here and in other forums.
Last edited by Faustus on 26 Apr 2012, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Faustus wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:One of the best F1 related books I have read is Unraced... by S.S Collins. It tells the story of unraced f1 cars, including the secret Honda works efforts, the DAMS cardboard box, the 1997 lola, and the Mclaren MP4/18, among others. The book goes into detail about the development of the cars and why they were never raced, along with colour photos!! :lol: another good book is Wheel to Wheel by Alan J

I have 'Unraced' and I didn't think much of it. The photos are decent but nothinh out of ordinary and the text is not dissimilar from anything that can be found online. Maybe I expected too much because even just here we have discussed pretty much all of the cars mentioned in the book, but I suppose not everyone that would have bought the book had access to the kind of discussions that we have around here and in other forums.

Well, I did read the book before I discovered the treasure-trove of F1 information, F1 Rejects.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Faustus wrote:

I have 'Unraced' and I didn't think much of it. The photos are decent but nothinh out of ordinary and the text is not dissimilar from anything that can be found online. Maybe I expected too much because even just here we have discussed pretty much all of the cars mentioned in the book, but I suppose not everyone that would have bought the book had access to the kind of discussions that we have around here and in other forums.

Well, I did read the book before I discovered the treasure-trove of F1 information, F1 Rejects.

You flatter us, sir.

Looks like I might have to get 'Wheel to Wheel'. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm looking at buying Ken Tyrrell's autobiography (if I can find it) for my father and later borrow it to read it.
runningboots

Post by runningboots »

Two books that any racing fan should read are Niki Lauda's two books; "To Hell & Back" and then "For The Record". They both go into great detail about his early career, then March, BRM and Ferrari etc. His relationships with Ferrari, Forghieri[sic], Audetto, Willi Dungl etc. are really well explained and he goes into detail with many technical aspect of his physical training, how the 1980s TAG turbo development went, up to the 1984 Estoril decider and 1985.

I'd definitely go back and re-read one day.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

runningboots wrote:Two books that any racing fan should read are Niki Lauda's two books; "To Hell & Back" and then "For The Record". They both go into great detail about his early career, then March, BRM and Ferrari etc. His relationships with Ferrari, Forghieri[sic], Audetto, Willi Dungl etc. are really well explained and he goes into detail with many technical aspect of his physical training, how the 1980s TAG turbo development went, up to the 1984 Estoril decider and 1985.

I'd definitely go back and re-read one day.

I've got "To Hell & Back", great book.
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

I can warmly recommend Adam Parr's The Art of War. It was damn funny while still being very insightful.