Favorite Racing Book?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
14 Hundred Hours

Re: Favorite Racing Book?

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

I'm steadily working my way through The Science of Formula 1 Design by David Tremayne. I read the first couple of chapters in a day, then lost a bit of interest. Then I skipped to the transmission section, read that, and then lost my book. I'm now finally getting round to reading about the engine and electronics! I've also read the Haynes Manual for the RB6, which I thought was great. Both of these are great books to flick through if you're doing physics A-level:
Teacher- "Does anyone know anything about lift? Or downforce? Anything?"
*blank faces in the class bar one person*
Me (or the other F1 knowledgable people out there)- "ah-ha, good sir, let me explain..."
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
HonoraryNortherner

Post by HonoraryNortherner »

Wish I hadn't found this thread.... I already have too many motorsport books, and now I want so many more! :lol:

Some I'd give a recomend:

"Against all Odds" - Account of 1976 from James Hunt's persepctive, co-wriiten with Eoin Young. Excellent book, offering a real insight into the mind and thoughts of Hunt. Can be a little hard to find nowadays though, as it was written in period. It's interesting to read Hunt's opinions on the rest of the grid...

"The Chequred Flag" - Refernce/history book from Ivan Rendall. A truly excellent work, with lots of information going right back to the turn of the century as well. IMO the best of any motorsport encycopedia.

"American Zoom" - Now this is a little gem, although not F1 related. I found it at Race Retro 2012, and have never seen it since. It's about the development of Nascar, and basically is a series of interviews with influencial people within the sport, from Petty to Smoky Yunick, Dale Earndhardt and everyone inbetween. Written in the early '90's, it provides a fantastic insight into the inner workings of people who race/work in racing. Reading it you realise that we're all slighty barmy for wanting to do what we do!

"Working the Wheel" - Fantastic book by Martin Brundle. I would recomend it to anyone!

"The Pirana club" - Really interesting look at the powerbrokers in F1, with an eye opening (for me atleast) account of the Schumacher-to-Benetton affair of '91. It's then that you realise Bernie has such an influence on everything in F1.

EDIT:

"The anatomy and development of the Formula 1 racing car from 1975" - I found this book a few years ago, and was highly impressed. By former Brabham engineer Sal Incandela (sp?), it proved a goldmine of an account of F1 racing cars from 197 to c.1990 (written 1990). The depth of the book is brilliant, detaining the the through behind behind why cars of that age were designed in the way they were, along with full incepth case studies of influencial cars. Utterly fantastic. If you're intreseted in the technical aspect of the sport (amittedly past), get this book!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Personally, I found Tom Rubythons biography of Ayrton Senna to be a decent enough read. Plenty of interesting content, and very well written, but he has an annoying habit of recycling facts and quotes, possibly in order to flesh the book out a bit more.
My favourites though are the good ol' F1 Yearbooks by Luc Domenjoz.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

runningboots wrote:Two books that any racing fan should read are Niki Lauda's two books; "To Hell & Back" and then "For The Record". They both go into great detail about his early career, then March, BRM and Ferrari etc. His relationships with Ferrari, Forghieri[sic], Audetto, Willi Dungl etc. are really well explained and he goes into detail with many technical aspect of his physical training, how the 1980s TAG turbo development went, up to the 1984 Estoril decider and 1985.

I'd definitely go back and re-read one day.

"To Hell & Back" is going next on my to buy list then. As I am particularly interested to read about Niki's recovery following his 1976 Nurburgring crash. Especially how he overcome the mental side of things so quickly, the aftermath of Japan 1976 (when he decided not to race) & his decision to leave Ferrari before the end of 1977. Sounds like it would be well worth a read.

DSedgwick wrote:And finally, I quite enjoyed Malcolm Folley's 'Senna versus Prost'. I was particualrly
pleased to read a book that was more pro Prost than most literature written about
this fantastic partnership. Certainly maanged to bring back memories - especially
of the professpr churning out fastest lap after fastest lap as he slowly but surely
wound in the hare ahead.

Just got this book for xmas & I'm really looking forward to reading it based on what you have said. It would be great to hear a more pro-Prost side of this story. Particularly as books appreciating Prost seem (to me at least) to be in short supply, especially in comparison to the number of 'Senna appreciation' books.

However reading it will have to wait, since I also got 1982 by Christopher Hilton for xmas, a book I had be desperate to read for a while. I will die a happy man, once I have finished reading this book. So far I've only read a bit of it, but I can tell it going be up there with my all time favorite books. As it seems to give a great insight into the main stories of each race weekend (& in 1982 there was plenty happening).

Aside from the main stories it also seems to cover the guys at the back of the field also. Like how Brian Henton when to South Africa 'fishing' for a drive & picked up Tambay's vacant Arrows drive. Or Teo Fabi breaking the drivers strike at South Africa. Etc.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

The new edition of 'Grand Prix Who's Who' by Steve Small arrived today. Bloody hell, it's a huge book - you could do someone (or yourself) a serious injury if you wave it about without a care.

It is a thing of beauty, well worth getting if you can afford it. You can guess who I flicked to first, and amusingly the picture used is that one over there ------> !!!!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I've just started reading 'Ken Tyrrell: The Authorised Biography' by Maurice Hamilton. I'm looking forward to it.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Barbazza wrote:The new edition of 'Grand Prix Who's Who' by Steve Small arrived today. Bloody hell, it's a huge book - you could do someone (or yourself) a serious injury if you wave it about without a care.

It is a thing of beauty, well worth getting if you can afford it. You can guess who I flicked to first, and amusingly the picture used is that one over there ------> !!!!

What happens when you change your avatar?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I used to have Nigel Mansell's autobiography, now seemingly out of print, and while I was never a fan of his, it was a great read. As you'd expect, he's whingy in it but also very candid.

It's a shame no-one's done a good book on Schumacher, although I might give James Allen's one a try. He did a semi-autobiography with Sabine Kehm which was OK, but too clean and not candid enough. I suppose as he's a very private person the likelihood of a proper autobiography is unlikely, although he may do something like it in a few years when the dust has settled on his career a bit. I've also read Christopher Hilton's one which also left me wanting more.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Barbazza wrote:The new edition of 'Grand Prix Who's Who' by Steve Small arrived today. Bloody hell, it's a huge book - you could do someone (or yourself) a serious injury if you wave it about without a care.

What happens when you change your avatar?

Oh, that'll never happen. Or if it does, I'll just have to demand that they do a special reprint of the book!!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I recently completed No Angel: the Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone by Tom Bower which I picked up at Dublin Airport. I must say I found it very interesting, it makes Ecclestone a lot more understandable. If you have nothing better to do, this book might be interesting for you.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Has anyone read Eddie Irvine's book, 'Life in the Fast Lane'? Is it worth reading?
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Does anybody on here know of any sites where I could pick up the Luc Domenjoz F1 yearbooks (pre-1996) in good nick for cheap?
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

ibsey wrote:...Ah forgot to mention EJ's autobiography as well. Even though I hate EJ on the BBC coverage as much as the next man. Believe or not his book is actually a pretty good read. Fully of funny tales of his early racing days & clever F1 deals (including ones where EJ wasn't involved in).

I'm sure there are some other books which currently have slipped my mind also.

I just bought this on eBay and I'll start reading it as soon as I get it. I'm looking forward to it.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Formula 1: All the Races by Roger Smith is good. I think the publisher is Haynes.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

For my 18th birthday last week, a friend of mine got me 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' by Garth Stein on the recommendation of another friend of mine. I must say it is one of the best books I've ever read, and I'd highly recommend it for all you guys. :D
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I know it's going to be hideously expensive, but I'll probably find myself asking for the Encyclopedia of Racing Drivers for Christmas. 3 volumes. 2 500 biographies. 923 000 words. Hell to the yes.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Last week, I received £50 to spend at Waterstones for my birthday, and so I took this thread as a bit of inspiration for what to buy. I was disappointed not to be able to find Grand Prix Saboteurs available there. :(
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Relating to my post in the "School life" thread, I need some help to find sources for my school-end paper. I'm wondering if any of you know any good books relating to the Formula One car design, preferably in English?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

tommykl wrote:Relating to my post in the "School life" thread, I need some help to find sources for my school-end paper. I'm wondering if any of you know any good books relating to the Formula One car design, preferably in English?

In "The Concise Encyclopedia of Formula One" by David Tremayne and Mark Hughes, there's a great section on innovation and design that could be quite handy. Certainly worth getting if you don't have it...I've owned a version of it for about 14 years, and I think it's the book that's influenced my interest the most.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Try The Science of Formula 1 design, by David Tremayne. The latest edition was published in 2009.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Thanks to you guys, I've got four books (I already have Racing Cars by John Tipler at home, and I'm also ordering Autocourse History of the Grand Prix car 1966 - 1985 by Doug Nye if I can find it), so I only need one more. Any help?

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I've just got a book that I had been trying to find for ages. I had found a copy at Chaters Motoring Books but they wanted silly money for it, so I kept looking on eBay and eventually one turned up in France, brand new and sealed, for a very decent price. I haven't read it yet but it will look lovely in my bookcase:

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Ataxia wrote:
tommykl wrote:Relating to my post in the "School life" thread, I need some help to find sources for my school-end paper. I'm wondering if any of you know any good books relating to the Formula One car design, preferably in English?

In "The Concise Encyclopedia of Formula One" by David Tremayne and Mark Hughes, there's a great section on innovation and design that could be quite handy. Certainly worth getting if you don't have it...I've owned a version of it for about 14 years, and I think it's the book that's influenced my interest the most.

I have 2 copies of that book at home, both of witch were handed down to me. I also have quite a few F1 season reviews and a programme from the 2009 British GP :mrgreen:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Flat Out...Flat Broke for me. I think Perry McCarthys life story would be funny no matter what path he'd followed.
Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I quite enjoyed Shunt when I read it some months back - really great insight, not only into James Hunt's life, but the state of F1 as a whole at the time as well.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

midgrid wrote:
ibsey wrote:Not F1 but would recommend...

Le Mans 24 Hours: The Official History of the World's Greatest Motor Race 1970-79

The photo's contained in it are simply stunning. They actually make you so jealous, that you weren't their driving those beatiful cars yourself.

Yes! Also available in 1950s and 1960s volumes, with more hopefully to follow.

Sorry for replying to a post made in 2012, but there is a 1980s one now, which I am a proud owner of. I also have the 1960s one, and both are very in depth books on each tram that ran cars in the race. And there are photos in there you'd never find on the internet. Like Nielsen's crash in practice for the 1985 Le Mans, as I'm pretty aure I never found those photos on the internet. The guy who has put those books together is incredible at finding these pics. Unfortunately, he isn't in good health, but he's trying to get a 1990s one together. I wonder what I'm missing from the 50s and 70s, as I know a lot about those decades, buy not everything.

As for my favortie racing book, it's fictional. It's called The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. It was a fantastic read. I couldn't put it down. I sadly can't refeal much about it, but I'll reveal this much: A dog named Enzo lies upon his deathbed, and looks back upon his life with his owner Denny, an up and coming racing driver, which describes all the hardships he had to endure in his life. The dog is a great narrator, and I remember one of the quotes he made in it being my sig for a while. Read it, I tell you. My favorite fictional book that I've had the pleasure of reading.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I got Lunches with Legends by Maurice Hamilton for Christmas, that's a brilliant read. I'd seen most of the interviews in F1 Racing, but there's extra bits in there and some that I hadn't read. He's a fantastic journalist, Hamilton.

It's been mentioned in here before but Race Without End is another of Maurice's which is good. I really enjoyed that.

I've also read The Mechanic's Tale by Steve Matchett which I have to say, I wasn't impressed with. I know he's covered his time at Benetton in other books as well but the whole thing really glossed over F1 and he struck me as being quite petulant, and by the end of it hating the whole idea of being an F1 mechanic entirely! I got the impression that despite wanting to have his say over the whole saga of 1994, and F1 around that time in general, he actually wasn't that bothered about F1 at all, in other words, it was just another job for him. This makes all his publications after he finished as a mechanic seem like just another 'means to an end', that he was just cashing in on the fact that he was around during Schumacher's time at Benetton, and he wasn't writing his books because of his passion for the sport which judging by his comments in The Mechanic's Tale, were virtually non-existent. Contrast that with someone like Maurice Hamilton or any number of other passionate F1 journalists and authors and the difference is huge.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AndreaModa wrote:I got Lunches with Legends by Maurice Hamilton for Christmas, that's a brilliant read. I'd seen most of the interviews in F1 Racing, but there's extra bits in there and some that I hadn't read. He's a fantastic journalist, Hamilton.

It's been mentioned in here before but Race Without End is another of Maurice's which is good. I really enjoyed that.

I've also read The Mechanic's Tale by Steve Matchett which I have to say, I wasn't impressed with. I know he's covered his time at Benetton in other books as well but the whole thing really glossed over F1 and he struck me as being quite petulant, and by the end of it hating the whole idea of being an F1 mechanic entirely! I got the impression that despite wanting to have his say over the whole saga of 1994, and F1 around that time in general, he actually wasn't that bothered about F1 at all, in other words, it was just another job for him. This makes all his publications after he finished as a mechanic seem like just another 'means to an end', that he was just cashing in on the fact that he was around during Schumacher's time at Benetton, and he wasn't writing his books because of his passion for the sport which judging by his comments in The Mechanic's Tale, were virtually non-existent. Contrast that with someone like Maurice Hamilton or any number of other passionate F1 journalists and authors and the difference is huge.

You're 100% right about Matchett, but honestly if you talk to pretty much any racing mechanic in pretty much any form of racing, they all end up like him, bitter and fed up (I personally know 4 off the top of my head). Honestly the job sucks. And be fair, Matchett does talk about the great friendships and awesome travels he had due to F1, so its not all bad.

As for his post-F1 work, he was the only watchable one on SPEED for awhile (Hobbs got better), and is quite good on NBC still, although they have noticeably dumbed down his "chaulk-talk" sessions. He's there to see things only somebody who has been there can see. Well that, and Ross Brawn STILL takes his calls!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Since I have nothing to do right now and that this is the closest thread I could find without making a new one, I decided to write out the complete results of every event described in every Michel Vaillant, including any short stories...

24 Heures du Mans
Ret. Henri Vaillant/Margaret Randson (Vaillante)

Rallye de Monte Carlo
1st: Mansart/Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Grand Sport)
Also driving: Henri Vaillant/Jean-Pierre Vaillant (Vaillante Grand Sport)

24 Heures du Mans
1st: Jean-Pierre Vaillant/Paul Delarivière (Vaillante Le Mans Sport)
2nd: Mansart/Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Le Mans Sport)
3rd: ???/??? (Aston Martin)
4th: ???/??? (Jaguar)
Ret. Willy Peters/??? (???) +6 hours/Differential

Marathon de la Route (Liège-Rome-Liège)
1st: Michel Vaillant/Jean-Pierre Vaillant (Vaillante Marathon)
Also competing: ???/??? (Iris)

Grand Circuit d'Hiver (6 Hours of Montlhéry)
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Marathon)
2nd: ??? (Ferrari)
3rd: Mitchum (Iris)

Gran Premio de la Republica Argentina (Buenos Aires)
1st: Steve Warson (Vanwall VW5)
2nd: ??? (Ferrari)
3rd: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Grand Prix)
???: ??? (Maserati) +2 laps
???. ??? (Maserati) +2 laps

"Grand Défi": Warson 1 - 0 Vaillant

Indianapolis 500
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Grand Prix)
Ret. Steve Warson (Novi Special) +2 laps/Engine
Also driving: unknown drivers (John Zink Special, Bob Estes, Belond Special, Dean Van Lines Special)

"Grand Défi": Warson 1 - 1 Vaillant

Grand Prix de Belgique (Spa-Francorchamps)
1st: Peter Collins (Ferrari 801)
2nd: Steve Warson (Vanwall VW5)
Ret. Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Grand Prix) +6 laps/Asphyxia/Exhaust leak
Ret. Art Berckmans (BRM P25) +9 laps/Collision
Ret. Henri Gillon (Maserati 250F) +9 laps/Collision

"Grand Défi": Warson 2 - 1 Vaillant

24 Heures du Mans
1st: Michel Vaillant/Jean-Pierre Vaillant (Vaillante Le Mans)
2nd: Jacques Swaters/Lucien Bianchi (Ferrari Testa Rossa) +1 lap
5th: Steve Warson/Bob Hertman (Lister Jaguar) +6 laps
Ret. Bill Rix/Willy (Jaguar D-Type) +9 hours/Accident
Ret. Gascard/Chapuis (Aston Martin) +12h30/Collision
Ret. Dehayes/von Haelen (Porsche 1500) +12h30/Collision

"Grand Défi": Warson 2 - 2 Vaillant

Großer Preis von Deutschland (Nürburgring Nordschleife)
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Grand Prix)
2nd: Evanni (Maserati 250F) +0.2
Ret. Steve Warson (Vanwall VW5) +1 lap/Accident

"Grand Défi": Warson 2 - 3 Vaillant
Michel Vaillant becomes the First Driver in the World, but declines the title.

Vaillant wins a few hillclimbs in the meantime.

Grand Meeting Motonautique de Monaco, trophée John Ward (speedboats)
Heat 1
1st: ??? (Italian)
2nd: Michel Vaillant
3rd: ??? (Belgian)
4th: Paul Victor

Heat 2
Ret. Paul Victor (Accident)
Ret. Michel Vaillant (Accident)

Grand Prix de Monaco
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1)
2nd: Francisco Godia (Maserati 250F)
3rd: Jack Brabham (Cooper T45) +35.0
6th: Anonymous (Jean-Pierre Vaillant) (Vaillante Mystère) +2:00.0
Also entered: Jean Behra (BRM P25)
Harry Schell (BRM P25)
Ron Flockhart (BRM P25)
Paul Emery (Connaught B)
Keith Campbell (Maserati 250F)
Wolfgang von Trips (Ferrari D246)
Giorgio Scarlatti (Maserati 250F)
Gerino Gerini (Maserati 250F)
Luigi Taramazzo (Maserati 250F)
Giulio Cabianca (O.S.C.A. 1100)
Luigi Piotti (O.S.C.A. 1100)
André Testut (Maserati 250F)
Joakim Bonnier (Maserati 250F)
Cliff Allison (Lotus 12)
Bruce Kessler (Connaught B)

Grand Prix de Belgique
1st: Anonymous (Jean-Pierre Vaillant) (Vaillante Mystère)
2nd: Lucien Bianchi (Ferrari D246) +30.0
???. Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1) +2 laps
Ret. Auguste Dubois (BRM P25) Accident

Grand Prix de l'ACF (Reims-Gueux)
1st: Nicolas Narkine (Zvezda)
2nd: Yvan Nassiev (Zvezda) +0.5
3rd: Lucien Bianchi (Ferrari D246) +40.0
???: Anonymous (Jean-Pierre Vaillant) (Vaillante Mystère)
???: Steve Warson (Novi Europ)
???: Jean Behra (BRM P25)
???: Chapuis (Aston Martin DBR4)
Ret. Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1) +4 laps/Accident

Gran Premio d'Italia
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Mystère)
1st: Steve Warson (Vaillante Mystère) tied
???: ??? (Maserati)
???: Yvan Nassiev (Zvezda) +3 laps
Ret. Nicolas Narkine (Zvezda) +35 laps/Suspension
Ret. ??? (Aston Martin DBR4) +34 laps
Ret. Lucien Bianchi (Ferrari D246) +65 laps/Piston

12 Hours of Sebring
1st: Michel Vaillant/Jean-Pierre Vaillante (Vaillante Sport Sebring)
2nd: Steve Warson/??? (Corvette SS)
3rd: Art Berckmans/Karel Vanham (Lister-Jaguar)
4th: Yvan Nassiev/??? (Volga) +4:00.0
5th: Dino Falconetti/Evanni (Ferrari Testa Rossa)
6th: von Richter/Sollinger (Porsche RSK)
7th: Bill Rix/Gascard (Aston Martin DBR1) +4 laps
8th: Alex Sparkia/??? (Skoda Sport)
10th: Sacha Motkov/??? (Skoda Sport)
???. Domingo Pérez/??? (Bocar xP5) (Running)
???. Nicolas Narkine/??? (Volga)
???. Serge Popsky/??? (Volga)
Ret. Chuck Danver/??? (Scarab Sport) Accident
Ret. Louis Cartier/??? (Devin SS) Collision
Ret. Juan Pérez/??? (Durlite Sport) Collision

Rally of Spain (San Sebastian-Barcelona)
1st: Steve Warson (Corvette GT) 13:22:54.0
2nd: Dino Falconetti (Ferrari GT) +13:06.0
3rd: Alex Sparkia (Tatra) +14:18.0
4th: Art Berckmans (Mercedes 300SL) +22:56.0
5th Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Ouragan Grand Tourisme) +24:30.0
6th: Chuck Danver (Lincoln)
7th: Sacha Motkov (Tatra)
8th: Louis Cartier (Ford Thunderbird)
9th: Nicolas Narkine (Tchaika)
10th: Bill Rix (Aston Martin DB4)
Ret. Juan Pérez (Buick)
Ret. Domingo Pérez (Chrysler)
Ret. Yvan Nassiev (Volga M21)
Ret. Serge Popsky (Warszawa FSO)
Ret. von Richter (Porsche Carrera) Accident

Polish Grand Prix (Warszawa)
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Mystère)
2nd: Art Berckmans (Cooper T45)
3rd: Karel van Ham (Maserati 250F)
4th: Dino Falconetti (Ferrari D246)
5th: Louis Cartier (Scarab F1)
6th: Bill Rix (Aston Martin DBR4)
7th: Steve Warson (Scarab F1)
8th: Juan Pérez (Daytona F1)
9th: Alex Sparkia (Syrena F1)
10th: Serge Popsky (Pobieda F1)
11th: Yvan Nassiev (Zvezda)
12th: Domingo Pérez (Belond F1)
Ret. Chuck Danver (Scarab F1)
Ret. Nicolas Narkine (Zvezda)
Ret. Sacha Motkov (Syrena F1)

Europe-USA-USSR challenge standings
Drivers
1. Michel Vaillant - 7
2. Art Berckmans - 9
3. Steve Warson - 10
4. Dino Falconetti - 11
5. Alex Sparkia - 20
6. Bill Rix - 23
7. von Richter/Karel van Ham - 24
8. Louis Cartier - 28
9. Yvan Nassiev - 30
10. Sacha Motkov - 32
11. Nicolas Narkine - 33-39
12. Chuck Danver - 36
13. Domingo Pérez - 36-38
14. Serge Popsky - 34-40
15. Juan Pérez - 38

Teams
1. Europe - 20
2. USSR - 49
3. USA - 51

No competition for Vaillante. Mention of the Monaco Grand Prix featuring Maurice Trintignant.

24 Heures du Mans
1st: Michel Vaillant/Steve Warson (Vaillante Le Mans Sport)
2nd: Lucien Bianchi/Claude Dubois (Vaillante Le Mans Sport) +3 laps
3rd: Jean-Pierre Vaillant/Marcel Guillou (Vaillante Le Mans Sport) +3 laps
DSQ: Tyler Jo (Bob Cramer)/Jack Trinity (Jack Moore) (Bocar) +7 hours/Too many laps per stint
DNS: René Carrière/Yvon Brunellière (Vaillante Le Mans Sport)
Also competing: various Maseratis, Ferraris, Jaguars, Lotuses, Corvettes and Aston Martins
Performance Index: ???/??? (DB Panhard)

Special International Grand Prix of Texas (4 Hours of Fort-Worth)
1st: ??? (Corvette)
2nd: ??? (Corvette)
3rd: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Le Mans Sport)
4th: Jack Moore (Bocar)
5th: Bill Rix (Vaillante Le Mans Sport)
10th: Steve Warson (Vaillante Le Mans Sport)

Carrera Panamericana (Tuxtla Gutiérrez-Ciudad Juarez
Stage 1: Tuxtla-Gutiérrez-Oaxaca
1st: Bob Cramer (Chevrolet)
2nd: Miller (Maserati)
3rd: Monti (Ferrari)
4th: Pérez/Pérez (Ferrari)
5th: Mauro Bianchi/Bill Rix (Vaillante Le Mans GT)
12th: Michel Vaillant/Steve Warson (Vaillante Le Mans GT) +2:30.0

Stage 2: Oaxaca-Puebla
1st: Michel Vaillant/Steve Warson (Vaillante Le Mans GT)

Stage 3: Puebla-Mexico City
No results, Warson/Vaillant in 15th, Bianchi/Rix in 2nd.

Stage 4: Mexico City-Leon
Bianchi/Rix 2nd, Vaillant/Warson 7th

Stage 5: Leon-Durango

Stage 6: Durango-Parral
Ret. Bob Cramer (Chevrolet) Accident

Stage 7: Parral-Chihuahua
Vaillant/Warson reach 4th place overall.

Stage 8: Chihuahua-Ciudad Juarez

Final classification
1st: Mauro Bianchi/Bill Rix (Vaillante Le Mans GT)
3rd: Michel Vaillant/Steve Warson (Vaillante Le Mans GT)
Ret. Bob Cramer (Chevrolet) Accident
Also competing: Miller (Maserati)
Monti (Ferrari)
Pérez/Pérez (Ferrari)
various Ferraris, Maseratis, Corvettes, Porsches and Sunbeam-Talbots

Steve Warson wins five more American races.
Michel Vaillant wins at Daytona in front of Warson.

Grand Prix de Bruxelles
Competing: Michel Vaillant (Emeryson-Vaillante disguised as Floretti) Camera car
Mauro Bianchi (Bianchi-Maserati) Camera car
Bill Rix (???)

Grand Prix de Reims
Competing: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1)
Bill Rix (Vaillante F1)
Mauro Bianchi (Emeryson-Maserati disguised as Floretti) Camera car

Critérium Neige et Glace
3rd: Michel Vaillant/Nicolas Olensky (Vaillante Junior Sport)
5th: Yves Douléac/Aldo Bruni (Vaillante Junior Sport)
7th: Willy Claes/Bernhart van Dooren (Vaillante Junior Sport)
???. René Trautmann (Citroën DS)
Vaillant/Olensky win one stage (Chamrousse)

Rallye Lyon-Charbonnières
1st: Mauro Bianchi/??? (Abarth)
Also competing: Michel Vaillant/Roy Johnson (Vaillante Junior Sport)
Stephan von Homburg/Philip Davis (Vaillante Junior Sport)
Willy Claes/Yves Douléac (Vaillante Junior Sport)

Tulpenrallye
1st: Claude Dubois/Gérald Langlois van Ophem (Volvo)
2nd: Nicolas Olensky/Willy Claes (Vaillante Junior Sport)
3rd: Roy Johnson/Stephan von Homburg (Vaillante Junior Sport)
???. ???/??? (Porsche)

Course de Côte du Col de la Faucille (Round of the European Hillclimb championship)
1601-2000cc category
1st: Roy Johnson (Vaillante Junior Sport)
???. Nicolas Olensky (Vaillante Junior Sport)
???. Yves Douléac (Vaillante Junior Sport)
???. ??? (Vaillante Junior Sport)

Coupe des Alpes
1st: Nicolas Olensky/Bernhart van Dooren (Vaillante Junior Sport)
???. Yves Douléac/Willy Claes (Vaillante Junior Sport)
???. Philip Davis/Aldo Bruni (Vaillante Junior Sport)
Ret. Roy Johnson/Stephan von Homburg (Vaillante Junior Sport) Accident

Marathon de la Route (Liège-Sofia-Liège)
Passo di Resia checkpoint
Willy Claes/Bernhart van Dooren and Roy Johnson/Nicolas Olensky have a 2 minute 6 second deficit.

Hotavlje checkpoint
Johnson/Olensky have a deficit of 4 minutes and 10 seconds to Bianchi/Harris.

Passo di Resia
Johnson/Olensky have a deficit of 55 seconds to Bianchi/Harris.

Final classification
1st: Roy Johnson/Nicolas Olensky (Vaillante Le Mans GT)
2nd: Lucien Bianchi/Georges Harris (Citroën DS)
4th: Bernhart van Dooren/Willy Claes (Vaillante Le Mans GT)
5th: Aldo Bruni/Philip Davis (Vaillante Le Mans GT)
Ret. Stephan von Homburg/Yves Douléac (Vaillante Le Mans GT) Accident

Rallye Féminin Paris-Saint-Raphaël
1st: Agnès de Chanzy/Françoise Latour

Grand Prix de Monaco
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 64)
2nd: Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 64) +1 lap
NC: Yori Yoshisa (Lotus 33-Honda) +15 laps/Overheating
Ret. Jim Clark (Lotus 33) +51 laps
???. Bill Rix (Vaillante F1 64)
???. Graham Hill (BRM)
???. Dan Gurney (Brabham)
???. John Surtees (Ferrari)

Standings
Vaillant - 9
Warson - 6
Yoshisa - 0
Clark - 0

Grote Prijs van Nederland (Zandvoort)
2nd: Jim Clark (Lotus 33)
5th: Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 64)
Ret. Yori Yoshisa (Lotus 33-Honda) +45 laps/Water pump
???. Graham Hill (BRM)

Standings
Vaillant - 18
Warson - 8
Clark - 6
Yoshisa - 0

1st: Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 64)
2nd: Yori Yoshisa (Lotus 33-Honda)
3rd: Jim Clark (Lotus 33)
Ret. Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 64) +18 laps/Fuel pressure
???. Graham Hill (BRM)

Standings
Vaillant - 18
Warson - 17
Clark - 10
Yoshisa - 6

Grand Prix de l'ACF (Reims-Gueux)
1st: Yori Yoshisa (Lotus 33-Honda)
4th: Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 64)
???. Graham Hill (BRM)
Ret. Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 64) +26 laps/Accident

Standings
Warson - 20
Vaillant - 18
Yoshisa - 15
Clark - 14

British Grand Prix (Aintree)
1st: Jim Clark (Lotus 33)
2nd: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 64)
3rd: Yori Yoshisa (Lotus 33-Honda)
Ret. Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 64) +3 laps

Standings
1. Vaillant - 24
2. Clark - 23
3. Warson - 20
4. Yoshisa - 19

Großer Preis von Deutschland (Nürburgring Nordschleife)
1st: Yori Yoshisa (Lotus 33-Honda)
2nd: Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 64)
3rd: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 64)
4th: Jim Clark (Lotus 33)

Standings
1. Vaillant - 28
=. Yoshisa - 28
3. Clark - 26
4. Warson - 26

Großer Preis von Österreich (Zeltweg)
2nd: Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 64)
5th: Jim Clark (Lotus 33)

Standings
1. Vaillant - 37
2. Yoshisa - 32
3. Warson - 32
4. Clark - 28

Gran Premio d'Italia (Monza)
2nd: Bill Rix (Vaillante F1 64)
3rd: Dan Gurney (Brabham)
4th: Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 64)
Ret. Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 64) +68 laps/Collision
Ret. Yori Yoshisa (Lotus 33-Honda) +68 laps/Collision

Standings
1. Clark - 37
2. Vaillant - 37
3. Warson - 35
4. Yoshisa - 32
Rix - >6
Gurney - >4

United States Grand Prix (Watkins Glen)
2nd: Bill Rix (Vaillante F1 64)
4th: John Surtees (Ferrari)
5th: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 64)
Ret. Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 64)

Standings
1. Clark - 46
2. Vaillant - 39
3. Yoshisa - 36
4. Warson - 35
Rix > 12
Gurney > 4
Surtees > 3

Gran Premio de México (Mexico City)
4th: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 64)
Ret. Yori Yoshisa (Lotus 33-Honda)

Standings
1. Clark - 50
2. Warson - 44
3. Vaillant - 42
4. Yoshisa - 36
Rix > 12
Gurney > 4
Surtees > 3

South African Grand Prix (East London)
2nd: Yori Yoshisa (Vaillante F1 64)
5th: Jim Clark (Lotus 33)
Ret. Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 64) +35 laps/Collision
Ret. ??? (???) +35 laps/Collision

Final World Championship Standings
1. Warson - 53 (World Champion)
2. Clark - 52
3. Vaillant - 42
4. Yoshisa - 42
Rix > 12
Gurney > 4
Surtees > 3

Bringing an end to the first 10 books out of 70...
Part Deux coming soon!
Last edited by tommykl on 03 May 2014, 13:23, edited 2 times in total.

W12

Post by W12 »

Just finished reading Caracciola's autobiography, and thought I would recommend it here, althought it is about pre-F1 racing.
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Michel Vaillant: Part Deux
Continental 2000km of Daytona (World Sportscar Championship/American Drivers' Championship)
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante GT-X1 Prototype)
2nd: Steve Warson (Vaillante GT-X1 Prototype)
3rd: Jones (Ford GT)
4th: Dan Hawkins (Scarab)
5th: Donald Payntor (Cheetah-Chevrolet)

Los Angeles Times Grand Prix for Sports Cars (Riverside, American Drivers' Championship)
1st: Steve Warson (Vaillante GT-X1 Prototype)
2nd: Jones (Ford GT)
3rd: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante GT-X1 Prototype)
Ret. Donald Payntor (Cheetah-Chevrolet) Collision
Ret. Dan Hawkins (Scarab) Accident

Indianapolis 500 (American Drivers' Championship
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Spéciale Indianapolis)
2nd: Steve Warson (Vaillante Spéciale Indianapolis)
Ret. Bob Cramer (Novi) Collision
Ret. Donald Payntor (Novi) Collision
???. Jones (Lotus-Ford)
DNS. Dan Hawkins (Novi) Place taken by Payntor
Also entered: ??? (Harvey Aluminum-Chevrolet)
??? (Cooper-Aston Martin)

Michel Vaillant wins the American Drivers' Championship.

24 Heures du Mans
1st: Michel Vaillant/Steve Warson (Vaillante Prototype)
Also competing: Mauro Bianchi/Yves Douléac (Vaillante Prototype)
Willy Claes/Bill Rix (Vaillante Prototype)
Philip Davis/Nicolas Olensky (Vaillante Prototype)
Bob Bondurant/??? (Ford Cobra)
In the pre-race celebration: Lucien Bianchi, Aldo Bruni, Dino Falconetti, Bernhart van Dooren, Stephan von Homburg, Marcel Guillou, Agnès de Chanzy, Françoise Latour, Gabriele Spangenberg

Großer Preis von Deutschland (Nürburgring Nordschleife) Rd. 6 of the World Championship
Competing: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 65)
Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 65)
Bill Rix (Vaillante F1 65)
Mauro Bianchi (Alpine-Vaillante F1)
Karel van Ham (BRM)
Dino Falconetti (Ferrari)
Olaf Jörgenssen (???)
Jo Siffert (Brabham-BRM)
Jo Bonnier (Brabham-Climax)
Willy Mairesse (BRM)
Lucien Bianchi (BRM)
Graham Hill (BRM)
Richie Ginther (Honda)
Dan Gurney (Brabham)
John Surtees (Ferrari)

Grand Prix de Monaco
1st: René Marceau (Lotus)
2nd: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 66)

In late 1966, Chuck Danver breaks the world land speed record at Bonneville with the Sonic Bird (1 250 km/h)

Motor Trend 500 (Riverside, NASCAR Grand National Series)
1st: Dan Gurney (Ford)
2nd: Chuck Danver (Vaillante Gil-Ford)
3rd: A.J. Foyt (Ford)
4th: Steve Warson (Vaillante Gil-Ford)
5th: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Gil-Ford)
6th: Donald Payntor (Dodge)
???. Roy Johnson (???)

Daytona 500 (NASCAR Grand National Series)
1st: Steve Warson (Vaillante Gil-Ford)
2nd: Chuck Danver (Vaillante Gil-Ford)
3rd: Mario Andretti (Ford)
4th: David Pearson (Dodge)
8th: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Gil-Ford)
9th: Bob Cramer (Dodge)
10th: ??? (Plymouth)
???. Donald Payntor (Dodge)

Southern 500 (Darlington, NASCAR Grand National Series)
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Gil-Ford)
Ret. Donald Payntor (Dodge) +2 laps Collision
Ret. Bob Cramer (Dodge) +2 laps Collision
Ret. Steve Warson (Vaillante Gil-Ford) +12 laps Accident
Ret. Chuck Danver (Vaillante Gil-Ford) +15 laps Accident

The Formula 1 Vaillantes are driven throughout the season by Michel Vaillant, Steve Warson and Mauro Bianchi.

Grand Prix de Monaco
1st: Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 68)

1st: Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 68)

Grote Prijs van Nederland (Zandvoort)
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 68)

Großer Preis von Deutschland (Nürburgring)
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 68)
2nd: Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 68)

Grand Prix de France (Rouen-les-Essarts)
1st: Jacky Ickx (Vaillante F1 68)

Standings
1. Steve Warson - 30
2. Michel Vaillant - 26
3. Jacky Ickx - 23
4. Sam Lynton - 22

Gran Premio d'Italia (Monza)
1st: Jacky Ickx (Vaillante F1 68)
2nd: Sam Lynton (???)
3rd: Jean-Pierre Beltoise (Matra)
6th: Steve Warson (Vaillante F1 68)
Ret. Michel Vaillant (Vaillante F1 68) +65 laps/Accident
Also competing: Chris Amon (Ferrari)
Johnny Servoz-Gavin (Matra)
Henri Pescarolo (Matra)
Lucien Bianchi (Cooper)
Jackie Stewart (Matra)
Denny Hulme (McLaren)

24 Heures du Mans
1st-2nd: Michel Vaillant/Yves Douléac (Vaillante Prototype)
1st-2nd: Chuck Danver/Jacky Ickx (Ford GT 40)
Ret. ???/??? (Leader) +10 minutes/Accident
Ret. ???/??? (Leader) +1 hour/Collision
Ret. Steve Warson/Dino Falconetti (Vaillante Prototype) +1 hour/Collision
Ret. ???/??? (Leader) +1 hour 30/Accident
Ret. ???/??? (Leader) +1 hour 37/Engine
???. Nicolas Olensky/Willy Claes (Vaillante Prototype)
Other entered cars: Turbine Hownet, Ford Mustang, Alfa Romeo 33, Alpine 3000, Chevrolet Corvette, Ferrari P3, Porsche 2200

Ontario drag racing
Competed: Ted ???, Steve Warson (badly)

Indianapolis 500
1st: Michel Vaillant/Steve Warson (relief driver) (Vaillante-Ford STP)

Medal of Honour Firecracker 400 (Daytona, NASCAR Grand National Series)
Ret. Steve Warson (Ford) Collision
Ret. Dan Hawkins (Dodge) Collision
Ret. Bob Cramer (Dodge) Collision
Also competing: Richard Petty (Ford)

TAP Rallye de Portugal
Jarama speed stage, Heat 5
1st: ???/??? (Porsche)
2nd: ???/??? (Porsche)
3rd: Gilbert Staepelaere/Nicole Sol (Ford 20M)
4th: Betty Kid/Billy "Terror" Kid (Ford Cortina)
5th: ???/??? (Porsche)
6th-7th-8th: Michel Vaillant/Françoise Latour (Vaillante Commando)
6th-7th-8th: Steve Warson/Candida Maria de Jésus (Vaillante Commando)
6th-7th-8th: Jacky Ickx/Brigitte Lecharme (Vaillante Commando)

Porto speed stage
1st: Jacky Ickx/Brigitte Lecharme (Vaillante Commando)
2nd: Steve Warson/Candida Maria de Jésus (Vaillante Commando)

Final classification
1st: Steve Warson/Candida Maria de Jésus (Vaillante Commando)
???. Jacky Ickx/Brigitte Lecharme (Vaillante Commando)
???. Claude Collaer/Cuvelier (???)
???. Francisco Romãozinho/"Jocames" (Citroën DS 21)
???. Chavan/Robert Loyens (Datsun 1600 SSS)
???. Tony Fall/Henry Liddon (Lancia Fulvia)
???. Antonio Montero/Delfina (Porsche)
???. Jaime Mas/Ramos Silva (BMW)
Ret. Gilbert Staepelaere/Nicole Sol (Ford 20M) Fuel pressure
Ret. Betty Kid/Bobby "Terror" Kid (Ford Cortina) Accident damage
Ret. Michel Vaillant/Françoise Latour (Vaillante Commando) Carter
Also competing: various Alfa Romeos, Lancias, Porsches, BMWs, Minis, Triumphs, Citroëns and Alpines

Trial bikes (Belgium)
9th: Jean-Pierre Beltoise (Vaillante)
18th: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante)
Ret. Joël Robert (Vaillante) Stage 6/Withdrawal
Ret. Steve Warson (Harley-Davidson) Stage 2/Accident
???. Delvione (???)
???. Denis (???)
???. Mick Andrews (Ossa)

Moto-cross de Laguépie (Motocross)
1st: Joël Robert (Vaillante)
5th: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante)
Ret. Steve Warson (Vaillante) Accident

Rallye de Monte-Carlo
Competing: Michel Vaillant/Steve Warson (Vaillante)
Gilbert Staepelaere/??? (Vaillante)
Mikonen/??? (Citroën DS)

Westlake Hillclimb (motocross)
Finished: Michel Vaillant, Steve Warson and Joël Robert (Vaillante)
Failed: Jack ??? (Ossa)

Westlake Short track (motocross)
1st: Joël Robert (Ossa)
Ret. Jack ??? (Ossa)

Western Motocross Rodeo (Westlake)
1st: Steve Warson (Vaillante)
2nd: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante)
3rd: Joël Robert (Vaillante)
Ret. Jack ??? (Ossa)

Daytona 500
1st: Michel Vaillant (Vaillante Gil)
Ret. Donald Payntor (Dodge) Accident
Also competing: Steve Warson (Vaillante Gil)
Jacky Ickx (Vaillante Gil)

4 Hours of Monza (European Touring Car Championship)
1st: Michel Vaillant/Yves Douléac (Vaillante Commando-Ford)
2nd: Gary Green/Donald Payntor/Bob Cramer (Chevrolet Camaro)
3rd: Steve Warson/Yvette Fontaine (Vaillante Commando-Ford)
6th: Dino Falconetti/Philip Davis (Vaillante Commando-Ford)
Ret. ???/??? (BMW) Accident
Ret. Bob Cramer/Dan Hawkins (Chevrolet Camaro) Engine

German Motorcycle Grand Prix, 500cc
1st: Jean-Pierre Beltoise (Vaillante)
???. Giacomo Agostini (???)
???. Jean Auréal (???)
???. Chris Jako (Honda)
???. Steve Warson (Vaillante)
Ret. Michel Vaillant (Vaillante) Accident

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

You're coming to my favourite era of Michel Vaillant. 'Le Secret de Steve Warson', 'Les Jeunes Loups, 'Le Prince Blanc', 'La Révolte des rois', 'Le Galérien', 'Steve Warson contre Michel Vaillant' and 'Rififi en F1'. Great sequence of albums. 'Steve Warson contre Michel Vaillant' and 'Rififi en F1' are really good and I have some 1/43 models lined up to do some of the fictional cars in the album.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Time to resurrect this thread, as I got "Forza Minardi" for my birthday and I've been reading through it today. I'm up to 2003 so not much more to go now. It's a great book and goes into lots of depth on the team, but I have to say I'm slightly disappointed with it in some respects. It glosses over completely the late 90s, aside from Nurburgring 1999, and doesn't feature a single picture of the 1998 car either. It then proceeds to go into immense detail after Stoddart's take over, to the point where you had a single page review of the 1998 season, and 13 covering 2002 alone! Clearly access to images was a problem as quite a few are re-used throughout the book with different effects applied to them, and overall the book gives off an impression of being "unofficial" and a bit low budget. Still, I'd recommend it for any Minardi fans (of which I assume we all are!) and despite my comments on images, there are some nice ones in there, especially from the early days, and some interesting stories from a lot of the old drivers and team personnel.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

AndreaModa wrote:Time to resurrect this thread, as I got "Forza Minardi" for my birthday and I've been reading through it today. I'm up to 2003 so not much more to go now. It's a great book and goes into lots of depth on the team, but I have to say I'm slightly disappointed with it in some respects. It glosses over completely the late 90s, aside from Nurburgring 1999, and doesn't feature a single picture of the 1998 car either. It then proceeds to go into immense detail after Stoddart's take over, to the point where you had a single page review of the 1998 season, and 13 covering 2002 alone! Clearly access to images was a problem as quite a few are re-used throughout the book with different effects applied to them, and overall the book gives off an impression of being "unofficial" and a bit low budget. Still, I'd recommend it for any Minardi fans (of which I assume we all are!) and despite my comments on images, there are some nice ones in there, especially from the early days, and some interesting stories from a lot of the old drivers and team personnel.

I had the same impression as you, that they almost wanted to gloss over the late 90s. It's a shame that there's nothing really from Tuero, it would have been nice to have some insight from him at least. But, as you also say, it is a pretty good read!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

BUMP

I've recently picked up three F1-related books that I'm currently reading Firstly, The Powerbrokers: The Battle for F1's Billions by Alan Henry, which documents Bernie's rise to power and the struggle between him and the car manufacturers for control of F1 in the first few years of this century. It's almost like a prequel to No Angel, Bernie's biography.

I've also picked up Max Mosley's autobiography, and The Limit by Michael Cannell, which is a very interesting book. It's about the lives of Phil Hill and Wolfgang von Trips, up until the fateful 1961 Italian Grand Prix. It was a very chance purchase from a small bookshop in Southwold. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Salamander wrote:It's one of the few books concerning racing that I actually own, but I found Jackie Stewart's autobiography Winning Is Not Enough to be quite a good read.

Fantastic book from beginning to end.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

About the only good thing to come out of the Pocono Indy race was that I was able to buy an original copy of The Heavily Censored History of Hesketh Racing from the Andretti Autosport trailer of all places. According to the merch guy, Lord Alexander and Mario were friends, and he spent a summer in '70s at Nazareth and left Mario a few cases of the things. He's been selling them ever since.

The book is a damn good read, talking about the development of the 308 and James and Alexander's rise together. The pictures of the 308 in detail alone were worth it. Lord Hesketh was very much the Zoran S. of his day, showing up drunk to races and vowing to return with cars. And then doing it! Also interesting is the book details a strong falling out between Hesketh and Surtees. Apparently, Lord Alexander was either going to buy Surtees outright or buy in and become the works team, the book leaves the details vague, do to "legal reasons" but openly talks in distain for the Surtees outfit.

Considering they went after Connew as well, can we consider Surtees are the horses arses of F1?

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I bought Mark Webber's autobiography last week but I haven't started reading it yet.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Faustus wrote:I bought Mark Webber's autobiography last week but I haven't started reading it yet.

I find the fact that you are having trouble starting it, to be delicious.

I'll get my coat.....

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Never mind best what about worst? Years and years ago I bought this little beauty, admittedly for about a £ but even so nothing could prepare me for such a snore fest...

And I'm sure one of the pictures in it was of a young Nick Heidfeld visiting Frentzen which probably added to the boredom-factor without me even realising it at the time.
Just For One Day...