The _TCC Series Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Samster

Re: The _TCC Series Thread

Post by Samster »

The musical chairs continue at TGR as Michael Caine has left the team. Carl Boardley finally gets his shot in the main game for Knockhill having been a front runner in Ginetta Supercup for what seems like forever. Likely to be a one-off while that series takes a break as he's battling Charlie Ladell for the championship there, so Gilham will need yet another driver for the final two meetings. Though I'd be surprised if Boardley wasn't full-time for the team next season.
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

Samster wrote:The musical chairs continue at TGR as Michael Caine has left the team. Carl Boardley finally gets his shot in the main game for Knockhill having been a front runner in Ginetta Supercup for what seems like forever. Likely to be a one-off while that series takes a break as he's battling Charlie Ladell for the championship there, so Gilham will need yet another driver for the final two meetings. Though I'd be surprised if Boardley wasn't full-time for the team next season.

Shades of 2013....
andrew

Post by andrew »

Turkington only gets a warning for ruining Jelly’s day.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Driving an additional BMW for the Misano DTM rounds, the Great Alex Zanardi kept his cool in changing weather conditions to finish a sensational P5!
Samster

Post by Samster »

andrew wrote:Turkington only gets a warning for ruining Jelly’s day.

For sure Turks got very lucky this weekend, 1. for getting away with only a strike for punting off Jelly and 2. that his two closest rivals for the championship both got excluded from race 2. Now he has a 43 point advantage despite having only won once this season, its actually possible for him to win the title at Silverstone if Ingram and Sutton have a bad enough weekend there.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Ahh Tony Gilham, don't ever change
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Samster

Post by Samster »

The BTCC will see its first 21st century baby make his debut as 17 year old Ethan Hammerton is the latest in Gilham's merry-go-round replacing Carl Boardley's one off appearance. Hammerton's only experience so far is being runner-up in the short-lived under subscribed Clio Cup Junior championship earlier this year and racing in the VW Cup since then. More fodder for the back then.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

This is great news. At this rate we'll all get a go! I don't drive, but that doesn't seem to be a hurdle. Just as long as it's not scheduled for the Brands Hatch finale as I think I'm in the Sugababes that week.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Carrera Cup GB gains a significant addition for Brands Hatch, well significant for us at least as none other than 70s F1 Reject Mike Wilds joins Redline Racing. He is 72 now.

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2018 ... nds-hatch/
Samster

Post by Samster »

Eurotech are done, they have sold their Civics and TBLs to an unnamed team.

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2018 ... -the-btcc/
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

How about a change of scheduling?
Get the touring cars on first and get them finished first. If the stragglers want to hang around for the Porches or whatever so be it. It was getting dark at Brands last week cos guess what? The last race was late.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Spectoremg wrote:How about a change of scheduling?
Get the touring cars on first and get them finished first. If the stragglers want to hang around for the Porches or whatever so be it. It was getting dark at Brands last week cos guess what? The last race was late.

As we discussed last week, that might help with the traffic situation leaving the track (although to be fair, we had no real problems). It is unsurprising that Brands Hatch suggests going to the restaurant to avoid the rush leaving the circuit...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Everyone's favourite Essex geezer Shaun Hollamby has been making some waves during the off-season. He's brokered a deal with Trade Price Cars to run the Audi A3s for 2019 and 2020, transferring two TBLs to TPC while continuing to run the cars. So effectively, he's now getting paid to run the A3s. Not bad for a car which has never looked like becoming a contender. :P

But that's not all for Shaun, as he's managed to nab the two ex-Eurotech Honda Civics to replace the geriatric MGs. Really hoping the lineup's gonna be Jack Goff/Jake Hill, that would be amazing.

Somehow, I still don't think we've seen the end of the MG6 in the BTCC. Fully expecting some tinpot independents to rock up with them at Brands come the spring. :pantano:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The wise prophet East Londoner wrote:Somehow, I still don't think we've seen the end of the MG6 in the BTCC. Fully expecting some tinpot independents to rock up with them at Brands come the spring. :pantano:

Called it! :dance:

Pretty sure these are the only NGTC cars from 2012 still racing at this point. It'll probably take a nuclear missile or the heat death of the universe to finally kill off these kekwagons. :pantano:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

East Londoner wrote:
The wise prophet East Londoner wrote:Somehow, I still don't think we've seen the end of the MG6 in the BTCC. Fully expecting some tinpot independents to rock up with them at Brands come the spring. :pantano:

Called it! :dance:

Pretty sure these are the only NGTC cars from 2012 still racing at this point. It'll probably take a nuclear missile or the heat death of the universe to finally kill off these kekwagons. :pantano:

Hope the actual livery is as good as that artists impression.
Samster

Post by Samster »

No one else has announced any drivers, yet Gilham has already confirmed his four car lineup. Because he does things his way.:geek:

Bushell and Thompson remain and are joined by Carl Boardley, making his full-time debut after many years in the Ginetta Supercup, and Michael Crees who won the Am Class in the same series.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Speedworks becomes a factory team next season and will be known as Team Toyota GB with Speedworks . They will switch to the new Corolla.

http://www.speedworksmotorsport.co.uk/a ... _5L6Oj7TIU
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

If Speedworks can do the same development job with the Corolla as they did with the old Avensis, the rest of the field should be very, very worried indeed. :dance:

Also, a new factory BTCC effort which doesn't involve Jason Plato? The times they are a changing...
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

East Londoner wrote:If Speedworks can do the same development job with the Corolla as they did with the old Avensis, the rest of the field should be very, very worried indeed. :dance:

Also, a new factory BTCC effort which doesn't involve Jason Plato? The times they are a changing...

Inb4 they decide to expand to two cars with Plato annouced as the second driver :lol:
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Two visits to Thruxton next year - May/August - YEEESSSS!!
Samster

Post by Samster »

Continuing the BMR saga, it seems Warren Scott has filed for bankruptcy. Despite that BMR still have their two TBLs for next season though that could change by the time the season begins.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3155909

Also next season will be the last for the Clio Cup. A massive shame as its the closest the BTCC has to an actual feeder series. I just hope they aren't replaced by yet another Ginetta series.

And in the driver front, Jake Hill has been confirmed in one of AmD's Audis while Tom Oliphant will move to WSR.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Samster wrote:
Also next season will be the last for the Clio Cup. A massive shame as its the closest the BTCC has to an actual feeder series. I just hope they aren't replaced by yet another Ginetta series.

When I saw this news on Twitter, some people were suggesting that the Mini Cooper Challenge (or some other Mini series) could fill the void.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

dr-baker wrote:
Samster wrote:

When I saw this news on Twitter, some people were suggesting that the Mini Cooper Challenge (or some other Mini series) could fill the void.

Or maybe we’ll finally be getting the B-TEC Development Series!

Who am I kidding :lol:
Samster

Post by Samster »

AmD confirm Rory Butcher and Sam Tordoff in their ex-Eurotech Civics.

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018/12 ... c-assault/
Waris

Post by Waris »

I know stock cars aren't exactly touring cars, but for some reason I can't find a NASCAR thread anywhere on the forum (I'm sure there used to be one?), so forgive me for posting this in this thread:

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-euro/news/villeneuve-go-fast-full-time-mustang/4313822/

Looks like it's YEE-HAW racing time for ol' Jacques again... He is 47 years old FFS! Is he never gonna stop? But then again, if I were him, I'd never want to stop racing either, so good on him.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Samster

Post by Samster »

Waris wrote:I know stock cars aren't exactly touring cars, but for some reason I can't find a NASCAR thread anywhere on the forum (I'm sure there used to be one?), so forgive me for posting this in this thread:

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-euro/news/villeneuve-go-fast-full-time-mustang/4313822/

Looks like it's YEE-HAW racing time for ol' Jacques again... He is 47 years old FFS! Is he never gonna stop? But then again, if I were him, I'd never want to stop racing either, so good on him.

The NASCAR thread is all the way down on page two of the sub-forum under its full un-abbreviated name, so its easy to miss. Not been posted in since March, in fact most of the non-F1 threads seem to have suffered quite the decline recently. Even the Indycar thread is on page two. :(
Samster

Post by Samster »

The old PARAS Infinitis live on. :D The Moffats have their hands on them and it seems they will enter them in Stewart Lines' new Touring Car Trophy.

https://twitter.com/aidenmoffat16/statu ... 33344?s=21

As for this Touring Car Trophy, I really hope it takes off and suceeds where that BTEC championship failed. It allows old NGTC cars, TCRs and even S2000s to compete together. I've heard Team Dynamics are looking into it too and I believe HMS are entering 'Sherman', Rob Austin's old Audi A4.
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

Samster wrote:The old PARAS Infinitis live on. :D The Moffats have their hands on them and it seems they will enter them in Stewart Lines' new Touring Car Trophy.

https://twitter.com/aidenmoffat16/statu ... 33344?s=21

As for this Touring Car Trophy, I really hope it takes off and suceeds where that BTEC championship failed. It allows old NGTC cars, TCRs and even S2000s to compete together. I've heard Team Dynamics are looking into it too and I believe HMS are entering 'Sherman', Rob Austin's old Audi A4.

So my joke turned out to be sort of accurate then?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Does anyone know when and where the BTCC Media/Test Day is? I thought I read recently that it was at Brands Hatch, but cannot find it again.

EDIT: I found what I had previously read in a thread on Twitter:

MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

The Mini Challenge has been announced as the Clio Cup's replacement on the TOCA package. Honestly the best series they could have chosen, it has regularly had big grid numbers and moving onto the BTCC package will help it become the main feeder series.

And Motorbase have hired the wrong Jackson. :lol:
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/140952
Samster

Post by Samster »

The other Hamilton is back. As much as I like him, I wish he was driving with a team like AmD again rather than wasting a Motorbase Ford. :facepalm:

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2019 ... motorbase/
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

BTC Norlin have confirmed Chris Smiley for 2019. A smart move, he certainly came on really strong in the second part of 2018.

Meanwhile, having seen his streak of winning at least one race in each season of BTCC he's raced in come to an anonymous and inglorious end in 2018. BTCC's most decorated driver has maintained radio silence for almost a month on Twitter, although he has made an update to his Twitter header, containing the date "20/02/19" and part of a poorly-drawn logo. Looking at the seats available, surely it's Power Maxed or bust for the old man, unless he's scrounged together yet another works deal out of nowhere...

In addition, the BMR clown show might finally be reaching the encore. Warren Scott has apparently been declared bankrupt, Ash Sutton doesn't seem too confident that he'll be racing this season, and the whole team just seems to be circling the drain.

Trade Price Cars are apparently announcing Jake Hill's team mate tomorrow morning, and it seems to have sent the rumour mill into overdrive.
Samster

Post by Samster »

East Londoner wrote:BTC Norlin have confirmed Chris Smiley for 2019. A smart move, he certainly came on really strong in the second part of 2018.

Meanwhile, having seen his streak of winning at least one race in each season of BTCC he's raced in come to an anonymous and inglorious end in 2018. BTCC's most decorated driver has maintained radio silence for almost a month on Twitter, although he has made an update to his Twitter header, containing the date "20/02/19" and part of a poorly-drawn logo. Looking at the seats available, surely it's Power Maxed or bust for the old man, unless he's scrounged together yet another works deal out of nowhere...

In addition, the BMR clown show might finally be reaching the encore. Warren Scott has apparently been declared bankrupt, Ash Sutton doesn't seem too confident that he'll be racing this season, and the whole team just seems to be circling the drain.

Trade Price Cars are apparently announcing Jake Hill's team mate tomorrow morning, and it seems to have sent the rumour mill into overdrive.

Its Mark Blundell! :shock:

https://us8.campaign-archive.com/?e=&fb ... d07e972d22

Not sure I like this, feels like a gimmick to me even more so than Lewis' brother racing at this level. Its kind of like when PARAS had Martin Donnelly race for them. When was the last time Blundell even raced? Should have brought back Whorton-Eales.

As for Plato, the rumour has him at PMR in place of Proctor. Smiley was pretty much a formality for BTC, the team is pretty much centred round him. Unfortunately I keep hearing James Cole's name mentioned for the second car rather than someone like Goff or Mat Jackson.

And last I heard, Sutton was intending on staying with BMR out of loyalty, he pretty much only made it into BTCC because of them funding him. Warren Scott was declared bankrupt a while ago (back in November I believe) yet they still have their TBLs for this season. God knows who would take the second car, pretty sure Plato is done with them and not many drivers out there are willing to risk their cars at this point. Maybe Proctor if he's out at PMR? He was also a BMR junior earlier in his career.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Samster wrote:
Its Mark Blundell! :shock:

https://us8.campaign-archive.com/?e=&fb ... d07e972d22

Not sure I like this, feels like a gimmick to me even more so than Lewis' brother racing at this level. Its kind of like when PARAS had Martin Donnelly race for them. When was the last time Blundell even raced? Should have brought back Whorton-Eales.

That's such a left-field choice they've probably ended up leaving the field entirely. :badoer:

Pretty sure Blundell's last full-time gig was in 2000 with PacWest, which was so long ago CART was still a thing. He's done a bit of sportscar racing since then but yeah, he's gonna struggle big time this year. Certainly would've preferred Whorton-Eales or Goff in that seat.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Samster

Post by Samster »

Sutton remains with BMR. Also it wasn't mentioned earlier but Josh Cook has moved to BTC Norlin so we might finally be spared another season with James Cole wasting good cars.

So just three cars (second PMR, second MG and Parker) left unfilled with over a month before the season begins. Jack Goff has sadly confirmed he won't be on the grid this season so my guess is these seats are filled but awaiting announcement. I expect Parker Racing to be keeping Stephen Jelley, the other two are anyone's guess.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Rob Collard is confirmed in the second PMR Astra. It will be his first time in FWD since 2007 I believe. Quite a surprise as I thought he would end his career after his concussion issues.

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2019/02 ... cing-seat/

WSR have announced a switch back to the 3 series. As someone who prefers saloons to hatches, I approve. :D
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/141 ... c-for-2019
Samster

Post by Samster »

Clio Cup midfielder Sam Osborne completes the 2019 grid in the second Excelr8 MG. Have to say, this years crop of rookies are rather underwhelming, not one of them have won a championship in anything (no I'm not counting Crees winning the Ginetta GT4 Am Class, that just means you're the best of the back half of the grid). :(

BTC Racing are rumoured to be announcing a switch to the Fk8 Civic tomorrow.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Just seen on Team HARD's facebook page that Jack Goff will be racing in BTCC this season after all in place of Mike Bushell.

Elsewhere Speedworks have revealed their livery for their new Corolla and its dreadful. :mrgreen:
https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2019 ... e-sponsor/