The _TCC Series Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Londoner

Re: The _TCC Series Thread

Post by Londoner »

Alex Martin has left the BTCC :dance: :dance: :dance:

Do feel sorry for the poor souls in the Carrera Cup who will have to put up with him this season...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Samster

Post by Samster »

The Autosport show has given us our usual collection of announcements.

Disappointingly Motorbase didn't go with Ant Whorton-Eales like I thought they were heading. Instead a rather underwhelming choice in Martin Depper and Luke Davenport who's name sounds familiar but I can't quite place him.

Fortunately AWE will be on the grid, albeit stuck in probably the weakest car on the grid in AMD's second S3.
Samster

Post by Samster »

And it has actually happened. Go blow yourself Plato. :facepalm:

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/colin-t ... o-seasons/
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Who's taking his place? Another Andy Neate comeback perhaps? It'll be somebody equally uncompetitive I expect.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

This really does leave Turkington in a lurch; the only teams I can think of likely to have space this late are WSR, Eurotech, HARD, and Team Parker. The only competitive one of those four is WSR, and something tells me he won't want to re-sign for the same team for the fourth time in his career (that must be a record), while HARD and Eurotech would surely require more money, which Turks has often failed to muster. It would be rather brilliant for Team Parker Racing to finally get a competent driver after suffering with Alex Martin, and Turkington is one of the most competent out there, although the chances of this happening are next to zero.
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
andrew

Post by andrew »

I personally think he may retire, would be sad to see him go.
I was watching some oldish reviews the other day and is it me, but in the 2009 finale was Matt Neal diving like an absolute turd?
Samster

Post by Samster »

andrew wrote:I personally think he may retire, would be sad to see him go.
I was watching some oldish reviews the other day and is it me, but in the 2009 finale was Matt Neal diving like an absolute turd?

Matt Neal drove like a turd pretty much his entire stint with Vauxhall. :P

For Turks I'd say either WSR again or retirement. As for his replacement I could see Ashley Sutton moving over as he is still in the BMR family I believe, and he probably won't threaten Lord Plato too much.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Samster wrote:
andrew wrote:I personally think he may retire, would be sad to see him go.

Matt Neal drove like a turd pretty much his entire stint with Vauxhall. :P

For Turks I'd say either WSR again or retirement. As for his replacement I could see Ashley Sutton moving over as he is still in the BMR family I believe, and he probably won't threaten Lord Plato too much.

Suttons quick, but then again that could be a logical move. What about josh cook for a move over?
This Could Be You

One more seat has been filled for 2017, with Jack Goff now confirmed at Eurotech; he should be quick (he was the last time he was in a FWD car, and the Civic's better than the '15 MG6), although his lack of large sponsors will make the car even more hideous than the standard Eurotech colour scheme.

Disappointingly, it doesn't look like Aron Smith or Colin Turkington will get a seat anywhere despite strong performances last year, essentially due to Plato getting them sacked; Turkington could end up at WSR, while the only places I see Smith going are HARD (unlikely as they are likely to confirm Jake Hill soon enough) or 888 if one of their drivers moves to BMR.
Your Signature Here

andrew

Post by andrew »

This Could Be You wrote:One more seat has been filled for 2017, with Jack Goff now confirmed at Eurotech; he should be quick (he was the last time he was in a FWD car, and the Civic's better than the '15 MG6), although his lack of large sponsors will make the car even more hideous than the standard Eurotech colour scheme.

Disappointingly, it doesn't look like Aron Smith or Colin Turkington will get a seat anywhere despite strong performances last year, essentially due to Plato getting them sacked; Turkington could end up at WSR, while the only places I see Smith going are HARD (unlikely as they are likely to confirm Jake Hill soon enough) or 888 if one of their drivers moves to BMR.

To be fair to Plato regarding smith, he was asking to get sacked for not getting out of the way when Plato was up for a championship.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Yes! Stephen Jelley is finally back in the series. :)

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/stephen ... abbatical/

Also Jake Hill is confirmed in the third TGR.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Are you cheering because of the reject possibilities?

As my recollection is that he was utterly awful most of the time. The one time I went to see BTCC in 2008 I spent a lot of time laughing at his terrible driving.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Barbazza wrote:Are you cheering because of the reject possibilities?

As my recollection is that he was utterly awful most of the time. The one time I went to see BTCC in 2008 I spent a lot of time laughing at his terrible driving.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jelley have a few wobbles in the early season. Still, he can't be any worse than Alex Martin, right?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Samster

Post by Samster »

He was indeed awful in 2008 but somehow everything clicked for him in his 2nd year and he ran a consistent season where he eventually won twice at Rockingham actually outperforming Turkington in the same car that meeting. Sadly RAC leaving WSR meant he didn't get the chance to build on that.

That said I don't see him being better than midfield with Team Parker but he'll certainly fare better than Derptra did.
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Samster wrote:.....That said I don't see him being better than midfield with Team Parker but he'll certainly fare better than Derptra did.

I think we're all agreed on that! Jelley might not be the best driver in the world but he's certainly not in the habit of putting his fellow racers in danger on a regular basis....
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Ataxia wrote:

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jelley have a few wobbles in the early season. Still, he can't be any worse than Alex Martin, right?

I apologise to you Ataxia that its taken a day and a half for anyone to appreciate this.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

I apologise to you Ataxia that its taken a day and a half for anyone to appreciate this.

I wonder if they didn't reply because they were too busy thinking, "I scream at puns like this?"
Last edited by dr-baker on 04 Feb 2017, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

watka wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

Yaaaaay, someone noticed! I think people are starting to get sick of my puns...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:Yaaaaay, someone noticed! I think people are starting to get sick of my puns...

Nah, puns are punny, particularly by the punnet.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

Josh Cook has confirmed he is leaving 888.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:Josh Cook has confirmed he is leaving 888.

So does this leave Turkington another opportunity to find a seat?
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

dr-baker wrote:

Possibly. He drove an Mg when he first started for the rather brilliantly named team atomic kitten.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Possibly. He drove an Mg when he first started for the rather brilliantly named team atomic kitten.

That was about the time I started to get interested in the BTCC... But it was WSR running the MGs then, wasn't it?
MCard LOLA
This Could Be You

Yep, although Turkington did drive for Triple Eight (who run the MGs now) in 2005, under the guise of VXRacing, so he will still have only ever competed for three teams in the BTCC (WSR 2002-4, 2006-9, 2013-14 Triple Eight 2005 and BMR 2015-16)
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Dan Lloyd has a full-time BTCC seat this year! :D :D :D

Aron Taylor-Smith (no idea why he's changed his surname) has the other MG seat, so it looks like Sutton is off to BMR Subaru, and Cook ends up with no seat at all.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

East Londoner wrote:Dan Lloyd has a full-time BTCC seat this year! :D :D :D

Aron Taylor-Smith (no idea why he's changed his surname)

he got married innit
Samster

Post by Samster »

East Londoner wrote:Dan Lloyd has a full-time BTCC seat this year! :D :D :D

Aron Taylor-Smith (no idea why he's changed his surname) has the other MG seat, so it looks like Sutton is off to BMR Subaru, and Cook ends up with no seat at all.

Really hope BMR pick up both of them and dump Cole (or Plato :P ). Happy to see Lloyd finally get a proper shot in the series.
andrew

Post by andrew »

They could be serious dark horses for this season.
This Could Be You

Sutton's been confirmed at BMR... but so has James Cole :facepalm:

Interestingly, Warren Scott has not been confirmed however, with rumours of him stepping down from his racing seat, leaving space for a paying driver (does Josh Cook have any money? Otherwise it'll be someone like Neate won't it)
Your Signature Here

Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

This is excellent news - I don't like Sutton's driving or his attitude so he's a perfect fit for that team given that I already hate Plato and the ugly car that they drive.

As for the MGs, not keen on those cars either but very pleased that both Aron Smith and Dan Lloyd have got drives as they deserved them. Doesn't look like there's anywhere for Turks to go now, and if Josh Cook is out too then that will be a shame.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Barbazza wrote:This is excellent news - I don't like Sutton's driving or his attitude so he's a perfect fit for that team given that I already hate Plato and the ugly car that they drive.

As for the MGs, not keen on those cars either but very pleased that both Aron Smith and Dan Lloyd have got drives as they deserved them. Doesn't look like there's anywhere for Turks to go now, and if Josh Cook is out too then that will be a shame.

Probably WSR for Turks as they are now the only team with open seats left. I would assume him and Collard for them, I've not heard anyone else rumoured with them, I wouldn't begrudge them taking on Cook instead of either though.

Team BMR, frick me they are fast rivalling Dynamics for least likable team on the grid given how they seem to be completely giving themselves over to Lord Plato. Sutton is good but unlikely to get near Plato in the championship. I'm just frustrated they have gone and given Cole yet another chance, he's not even that well funded. So must be in aid of making sure Plato is unchallenged within the team. Presumably the 4th car will just be Warren 'gravel eater' Scott again. :facepalm: Though not confirming that with the rest of the lineup gives me some hope of maybe getting Cook.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Samster wrote:Probably WSR for Turks as they are now the only team with open seats left. I would assume him and Collard for them, I've not heard anyone else rumoured with them, I wouldn't begrudge them taking on Cook instead of either though.

I'm happy to say that Turks has signed to return to WSR (according to Autosport).
MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

dr-baker wrote:
Samster wrote:Probably WSR for Turks as they are now the only team with open seats left. I would assume him and Collard for them, I've not heard anyone else rumoured with them, I wouldn't begrudge them taking on Cook instead of either though.

I'm happy to say that Turks has signed to return to WSR (according to Autosport).

Couldn't resist. :P
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Delighted that he's found a seat, and as a bonus, that he will probably do better than Jordan (one of the most over-rated drivers of recent times, if you ask me)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:Delighted that he's found a seat, and as a bonus, that he will probably do better than Jordan (one of the most over-rated drivers of recent times, if you ask me)

I would just like to see Turks do better than Plato...
MCard LOLA
This Could Be You

Collard has now been confirmed at WSR, so the only seat left in the BTCC for 2017 is the one at BMR, which unfortunately will probably go to Warren Scott anyway.
Your Signature Here

Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

This Could Be You wrote:Collard has now been confirmed at WSR, so the only seat left in the BTCC for 2017 is the one at BMR, which unfortunately will probably go to Warren Scott anyway.

Ive heard a few rumours that the fourth BMR seat coud be Mark Howard
This Could Be You

peteroli34 wrote:
This Could Be You wrote:Collard has now been confirmed at WSR, so the only seat left in the BTCC for 2017 is the one at BMR, which unfortunately will probably go to Warren Scott anyway.

Mark Howard in a rear wheel drive car? I shudder at the thought... (however, I wonder if he could beat his previous best points total of -3? :facepalm: )
Your Signature Here

Samster

Post by Samster »

peteroli34 wrote:

Jesus effing christ hope not. He makes Warren Scott look like Turkington. :facepalm: