The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
takagi_for_the_win

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

TORA! TORA! TORA!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I am so happy that I don’t let football control my life anymore because with the way Liverpool are going right now I’d be on the verge of mental breakdown. Seeing that elusive Premier League trophy washed it all away.

And I see our old F1 coverage lead Jim Rosenthal now does football on Amazon prime. I’m not going to lie but that’s genuinely the first time I’ve seen him since he left F1 ITV at the end of 2005. What’s he been doing in that time?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Jim Rosenthal does voiceovers now mainly - he's the voice of Union Jack's various radio stations.

He did also make a cameo (voice only) appearance in his son's sitcom 'Friday Night Dinner' as.....an F1 commentator!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I am so happy that I don’t let football control my life anymore because with the way Liverpool are going right now I’d be on the verge of mental breakdown. Seeing that elusive Premier League trophy washed it all away.

Mightn't finish in the top 4 this season, my heart bleeds :P

Also, pretty sure Jim Rosenthal does functions and the like. He was MC'ing at that Manchester United end of season function where van Gaal got really mashed a few years back.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I am so happy that I don’t let football control my life anymore because with the way Liverpool are going right now I’d be on the verge of mental breakdown. Seeing that elusive Premier League trophy washed it all away.

Mightn't finish in the top 4 this season, my heart bleeds :P

Also, pretty sure Jim Rosenthal does functions and the like. He was MC'ing at that Manchester United end of season function where van Gaal got really mashed a few years back.

It was fun being champions while it lasted. At least all the fair weathers have jogged on back to support Man City now. I find it funny seeing the social media fans melting down at every poor run of form to the point where I wonder if these people actually have lives outside of football

Since I asked that question I’ve actually remembered seeing Rosenthal presenting rugby on the weekend of the 2007 F1 title decider. Even so that’s still 12 years apart (I first saw him on amazon on Boxing Day 2019)
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

R.I.P football. I’ve given up my support of Liverpool FC for selling their soul for money. I never wanted to believe it but the big 6 have officially proved that they do not care about anything other than the money.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Belgium being a hypcrite in being against the Superleage but wanting to run Belgian football with a Beneleague ugh.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:R.I.P football. I’ve given up my support of Liverpool FC for selling their soul for money. I never wanted to believe it but the big 6 have officially proved that they do not care about anything other than the money.

Good news! City of Liverpool FC are just down the road in Ellesmere Port, and - by the looks of the colour of their kit - accept disenchanted supporters from both sides of the Liverpool divide. They would be playing at level 8 in the Northern Premier League Division One North West, but the season was abandoned in February, for reasons which nobody needs to repeat.

Or, if you like a bit of communism in your football (and all that entails), there's also AFC Liverpool. They were mid-table in the level 10 North West Counties League Division One North before that season was also kyboshed. This is the same division that the reconstituted Bury AFC play in...

And then there's always Vauxhall Motors... who I now find are the owners of the ground where City of Liverpool FC are playing until they find themselves a home of their own inside the boundaries of Liverpool.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:R.I.P football. I’ve given up my support of Liverpool FC for selling their soul for money. I never wanted to believe it but the big 6 have officially proved that they do not care about anything other than the money.

Good news! City of Liverpool FC are just down the road in Ellesmere Port, and - by the looks of the colour of their kit - accept disenchanted supporters from both sides of the Liverpool divide. They would be playing at level 8 in the Northern Premier League Division One North West, but the season was abandoned in February, for reasons which nobody needs to repeat.

Or, if you like a bit of communism in your football (and all that entails), there's also AFC Liverpool. They were mid-table in the level 10 North West Counties League Division One North before that season was also kyboshed. This is the same division that the reconstituted Bury AFC play in...

And then there's always Vauxhall Motors... who I now find are the owners of the ground where City of Liverpool FC are playing until they find themselves a home of their own inside the boundaries of Liverpool.

But that'd imply that people actually want to see lower-league football with Soul™. They merely want the top teams to never change their business approach so they can delude themselves that they are watching a fair sport where "everyone has a chance".
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

The regular season of the JPL in Belgium has ended so i'm gonna do a team-by-team review. Though there will still be some play-offs to be held. I will discuss both 1A and 1B

Before the season.
-As you all know some kind of virus happened. This led to the competition being cancelled one day before the end of the regular competition, the play-offs were cancelled, and the promotion play-offs were also cancelled.
This means that last-placed team Waasland-Beveren and the teams playing for promotion Beerschot and OH Leuven were all fighting for one spot, so in the end the compromise was reached to temporary go from 16 to 18 teams.
A shorter form of the playoffs would be held, with the 3 first places battling for the CL1, CL2, CF1 spot and the 4th team will play for the CF 2 spot against the winner of PO2, which are places 1-8

-The usual license problems saga, whilst all 1A teams got their license after appeal, plenty of 1B clubs didn't, with 2 clubs promoting to 1A and no team replacing, they were left with only 4 teams, including 1Am champion Deinze as Virton failed to get licence and Lokeren and Roeselare filed for bankrupcy altogether. So they had to pick up from 1Am whomever got obtain a licence, regardless of position. The lucky ones were Seraing (3rd), RWDM (6th) and Lierse (11th), however, as they needed 8 teams, Club NXT (the u23 selection of Club Brugge) was hastily put in as well.

Whilst i know some of you loved my meanwhile in Belgium series, a team like Virton got so absurd that i couldn't even put it into words.

The season
First we Start by the teams that made Playoff 1:
1. Club Brugge
It's hard to tell whether Club were dominant or the competition were just underwhelming. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. They were the only team who could perfom consistent so nobody ever seriously threatened their lead.
They also got an acceptable European Campaign, though they could have done better in my opinion. With points halved for the play-offs, they probably have enough reserve to take the title, even if a lot goes wrong.
2. Antwerp
The only other team that didn't embarrass themselves in Europe, however had an inconsistent season, not being able to bring out the full potential of the team. I didn't help that coach Ivan Leko left in the middle of the season for Arabic moneys and that Franky Vercauteren's conservative style didn't mesh well with the players. They're unlikely to give away a European cualification spot, however it remains to be seen which spot it will be, depending on that, their season will either be a sucess or a failure.
3. Anderlecht
Somewhat surprising to see them this high, as they started terribly. Trainer-player Vincent Kompany finally decided to stop playing and focussing more on the coaching, however this is what the problem is, his decisions were always really weird and unrealistic. It doesn't help that Anderlecht has serious financial problems and had to sell some players. A good late season form gives them some hope though, slowly things are finally gelling together for them. Strong contender in the Play-offs.
4. Genk.
Inconsistency was also the word here. First coach Hannes Wolf was sacked and his replacement Jess Thorup decided Copenhaguen was a better option so in the end John Van Den Brom took over. Genk had some periods where they were by far the best playing team in the league, but also some moments of lesser form and players seemingly being incompatible. They still got a lot to sort out on that front. What their form in the play-offs will be is currently unknown, but if they find their best form again, they'll be able to go for that elusive second place. They'll play the cup final tomorrow and will be favourites for that.
Teams who made play-off 2:
5. Oostende
Lot of financial problems made the season very insecure, but everything seemed to fall in its place after a buy-out and what a season did they perform. By the end of the season they were the only midfielder to realistically threaten the top 4. Well done, however missing out on that PO1 spot might hurt a little. They're favourites to win the PO2, but will they be able to? The somewhat unknown coach Alexandre Blessin made a good first impression.
6. Standard Liège
Anyone who knows a bit about football knows Standard is a type of team where everything can happen and it usually does. Another team being hit by financial problems, they did manage to start the season pretty decent, but then slided downwards. A trainer change from Philippe Montanier to Mbaye Leye didn't change fortunes much and they're lucky to even make it to place 6, courtesy of many other teams also underperforming. Their European campaign was also pretty dire. One also doubts wether they really want to keep Leye on as coach but i think he deserves a chance. But does Standard deserve him? Well Standard can still save its season if it wins the cup tomorrow, but they're the underdogs here.
7. AA Gent
Oh dear, when it comes to underperforming and trainer caroussels Gent really. When the season started dramatically they sacked the popular Jess Thorup, to replace him with the unpopular László Bölöni, who fared no better and played a style that didn't fit gent at all. When he was sacked, his assistent Wim De Decker got a chance, until he too was sacked when their former succes coach Hein Vanhaezebroeck was available again. Nothing changed though, and only in the latter stages did Gent start to look like a football team again, but still underwhelming. The less said about their European campaign, the better, it was just embarassing.
8. KV Mechelen
Surprisingy, this is only their first ever play-off appearance. Their season started poorly, not because of their own fault though, as bad luck just kept haunting them. But they kept their heads cool, didn't sack Wouter Vrancken and near the end they stood where they were supposed to stand. Still too inconsistent to be a favourite for the PO2 win, but never say never. At least they're not in a massive crisis like Gent and Standard.
The rest:
9. Beerschot
Maybe purely on enthuasiasm, their start of the season was impressive. Hernán Losada's style was interesting as at one both they had both the most goals for and most goals against. But he left too for moneys, in his case the MLS. Many people had doubts over Will Still who took over and Beerschot defenitely couldn't keep up their impressive form. Overall not a bad season as they'e finally in 1A, but some dissapointment will be present as they just nearly missed out on PO1.
10. Zulte-Waregem
ZW started the season dramatically and people have been worrying about their state for awhile now, and the calls for Francky Dury to finally step down were growing louder each day. Didn't help that their team mostly consists of has-beens like Olivier Deschacht or Jelle Vossen. But around the mid-point of the season, their form improved and in the end they did a midfield season as they should do. But how long can this playing with fire continue?
11. OH Leuven
The other new team in 1A had a somewhat similar story, other than that Marc Brys didn't leave. Starting well and surprising everyone, but fading out towards the end. The sentiment will also be the same, happy they're back and had a season without any worries, but dissapointment of narrowly missing out on PO2
12. Eupen
The team noboby cares about performed another season nobody cared about.
13. Sporting Charleroi
Charleroi started the season well, leading, but then it all broke down and they never showed any sign of recovering. Their breakdown just happened to coincide with their last EL qualifying game so no group phase for them. Charleroi's been punching above their weight for a while and it was inevitable that a lesser season would follow.
14. Kortrijk
Another grey season for Kortrijk, we're used to it by now. Sacking Yves Vanderhaeghe didn't really help much. They were never in any relegation danger though, but nobody can be satisfied with a season like this. It doesn't help that owner Vincent Tan just doesn't give a crab about this team. (or any of his other teams)
15. STVV
A team known for playing with fire every season and narrowly avoiding degradation. However in the current ownership they additionally suffer from Japanese corporate culture, meaning that decisions can only be taken super slow. Owners DMM are very good at marketing the team in Asia but seem to forget to do anything more than a minimal effort for the competition. The soul also seemed to be gone this year. Hiring the totally unknown Kevin Muscat was a mistake, when Peter Maes took over things improved a little but this only seems to be a delay of excecution for them. Sooner or later they'll get relegated again.
16. Cercle Brugge
The AS Monaco B-team, i mean Cercle did another underwhelming season, not much else can be said about it. Still in the league because of others failing.
Relegation play-offs:
17. Waasland Beveren
After the juridical fight to even remain in 1A took so long, they kinda entered the season horribly unprepared and it showed. They could never truly escape the bottom of the standings. Though uncharacteristically, they didn't sack coach Nicky Hayen, he did what he could: not ending last and avoiding a straight degradation. They'll have to do a match against 1B's number 2. There is some hope but they're probably better off restructuring a bit in 1B.
Relegation:
18 Mouscron
Shady as shady can be, it's a miracle how Mouscron could always obtain a licence for 5 years in a row in the courts. Sportingly, they never looked good. A last place and degradation is honestly where they belong.

1B
Promotion:
1. Union SG
If any team's been impressive, then it was defenitely Union. Champion with 20 points loose. The sleeping giant is waking up. It's good to have the 11 time champion and 3rd most succesful team of all time back, for the first time since midway in the seventies. Their accomodation is a protected historic building so they're somewhat limited, but theres no argument that they belong in F1. Sportingly, there's no argument either. Impressive stuff.
Promotion play-offs:
2. Seraing
At the start of the season they could pressure Union a little bit, but the difference in quality was just too big. Their second place never really got in danger though and the season's been rewarded with a duel against 17th places 1A team Waasland-Beveren. Both teams seem evenly matched so we'll see. Though one still wonders if Seraing actually has fans. They haven't been spotted since the nineties.
3. Lommel
Like so many teams they started with financial problems and just barely made it into the season. Thankfully the season went alright, but like many others, the aim was that second spot so narrowly missing out must taste a bit bitter.
4. Westerlo
Considered the favourite for the second place, they well always trailing behind Seraing, and even being overtaken by Lommel, this is a big dissapointment.
5. Deinze
Very ambitious, maybe they expected more than a 5th place without really ever threatening the top 4, however, it must be said it's their first season in professional football, if they have patience, they'll certainly become something.
6. RWDM
And the third team from Brussels (with Union and Anderlecht) is also back in professional football. They finally got their derby against Union again, only for Covid to ruin it. Unfortunately a team like RWDM really relies on the fans to push them forward and they never really showed to be able to get more than a 5th or 6th place. Still the future looks alright for them and they should keep building the team back into a good financial state first.
7. Lierse
Being promoted after a season of being almost relegated isn't a good sign of things to come. And Lierse was underwhelming all season. Maybe next year they have some time to prepare, but their results aren't promising. They're lucky that 1Am was cancelled so there will be no relegation this season.
8. Club NXT
Totally unprepared, this season was always gonna be hard. Being a B-team of a team not really known for its youth players is also not great. Couldn't even get close to Lierse and people wonder if B-teams have a place in 1B or if they should be in 1Am. But with Covid being there and 1Am being cancelled, their presense for next year is guaranteed and we'll see how they fare if they can properly prepare for a season.

Dishounourable mention for Virton for them refusing to play, pay wages, going to all possibl courts, and these courts being inconclusive. The trade courts said they're forced to have a spot in 1B for next year, all sporting courts said they should by no means get a professional licence.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Watching UEFA Euro semi-final, I realized there is a number surname combination which we have had in F1 29 years ago.

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Necromancy alert!

I have no idea what happened to the wee Scotsman who used to run this place - real life intervened, I suspect - but I've never forgotten what he called the Italian football team from Turin who aren't Torino and who play in black and white stripes. I even started using the name myself after a while.

But I saw an article today on our lovely and not at all flawed state broadcaster that made me think of that name.

Rubentus are up to their old tricks again.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Jarvis

Post by Jarvis »

Eric ten Hag must be a relieved man after today's 0-0 draw at Anfield against Liverpool after their embarrassing loss against Bournemouth and the exit from European football.
My F1 Favorites: Fav Track | Fav Driver | Fav App