The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Barbazza

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by Barbazza »

FullMetalJack wrote:Showing your age there, i've never known us not to have overseas players, although when I got into Football in the turn of the century, at our squad, they were limited. One of them was a name you'll be familiar with, and one of my all-time favourites, Stan Lazaridis.

When I started watching West Ham almost the entire squad was either English or Scottish. Frankie was the exception.

I remember Stan! Not the best player in the world by any means but I liked him, he would never 'do a Payet' that's for sure.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

For underdog lovers like ourselves, this season's FA Cup is already proving to be one for the ages, as for the first time ever, two non-league sides have reached the last 16 of the competition. Sutton United and Lincoln City both defeating Championship opposition to advance to round 5, Not only that, but the two sides who fell to them, Brighton and Hove Albion, and Leeds United could both be Premier League sides come the end of the season.

Can either of them go even further? Maybe they'll draw each other.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

After 14 matches, Inter had only 17 points and were in the bottom half of the table.

We're now 4th, 9 points off the top and only 4 points off a Champions League berth. 9 wins on the bounce. Next league game is again league leaders Juve.

Diego Simeone? Who needs him? #ForzaPioli :glasses:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

So I just checked the United Counties League Division One table...

...and my two favourite Northamptonshire rejects are once again doing football rejectdom proud. After 26 games, Woodford United are third from bottom with 9 points and a massive -94 goal difference, and their successors to the reject crown, Stewarts & Lloyds Corby, are bottom with 6 points and -57. Only Burton Park Wanderers (7 points, -57) are keeping them company as the 16 teams left above these three this season are streaking off into the distance.

Never mind the Premiership or Serie A, the race for the UCL wooden spoon is going to be a great one!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dinizintheoven wrote:So I just checked the United Counties League Division One table...

...and my two favourite Northamptonshire rejects are once again doing football rejectdom proud. After 26 games, Woodford United are third from bottom with 9 points and a massive -94 goal difference, and their successors to the reject crown, Stewarts & Lloyds Corby, are bottom with 6 points and -57. Only Burton Park Wanderers (7 points, -57) are keeping them company as the 16 teams left above these three this season are streaking off into the distance.

I may have to keep an eye on that league. Lowest league I pay any attention to is the Northern Premier League Premier Division, which unlike other divisions at that level (Level 7), a few sides are quite local to me. Not to mention unlike the others, it has an ex Football League club, Workington.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Leicester, Lincoln, Millwall... I feel like at some point British football just went "ah, bathplug it".
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

What I love most about this particular upset is that Burnley are supposed to be excellent at home. Less than a week ago they held inevitable champions Chelsea to a 1-1 draw at Turf Moor.

Anyways, congratulations to Lincoln, can't be easy balancing a cup run with a potential league title to go with it. A Sutton victory against Arsenal would top things off nicely.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

FullMetalJack wrote:What I love most about this particular upset is that Burnley are supposed to be excellent at home. Less than a week ago they held inevitable champions Chelsea to a 1-1 draw at Turf Moor.

Anyways, congratulations to Lincoln, can't be easy balancing a cup run with a potential league title to go with it. A Sutton victory against Arsenal would top things off nicely.

Everyone except Liverpool fans like me would like a Sutton win given Sutton have a one off deal with the S*n. As for me I hope Arsenal crush them for that
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:What I love most about this particular upset is that Burnley are supposed to be excellent at home. Less than a week ago they held inevitable champions Chelsea to a 1-1 draw at Turf Moor.

Everyone except Liverpool fans like me would like a Sutton win given Sutton have a one off deal with the S*n. As for me I hope Arsenal crush them for that

That's a fair point, associating with that rag is the only damper on their amazing cup run.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

The somewhat professional Irish leagues have started their 2017 seasons tonight, and Athlone Town's game (in the 2nd tier) was postponed for 45 minutes thanks to a classic case of "pay your light bill"...and they won, and left me 5 euro poorer.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
AdrianBelmonte_

Meanwhile in Spain:

-Real Madrid fans (and the vast majority of sports media here) are ridiculously mad with Celta Vigo after their match was cancelled after damage in Celta's stadium happened, they blamed everyone for the cancellation (the club, the league, the mayor of Vigo (which had several brainfarts after cancelling it, to be fair)...), just because Celta had a cup match few days ago and had to align several non-starters, typical Real Madrid behavior...
-The only chance of them playing that match was Shakhtar Donetsk knocking out Celta from the Europa League, just imagine the scenes in Madrid after the ref called penalty for Celta in the last minute...
-We somehow are back in business (despite being knocked out from the cup), maybe not too much points-wise, but feeling-wise, a win this weekend vs Barça can put us in a very good position
-My dream of seeing Valencia being relegated ended last Wednesday, with their win against, yeah, Real Madrid (imagine the scenes... again!...)

And in Not Spain...

-The one, the only, Claudio Ranieri, is (inexplicably) gone, i know their run this season wasn't good, but come on, at least wait till the end of the season, and if there's relegation, kick him out
-Also, i'm thoroughly disappointed with this forum: 2 days ago, we had a friggin' SAN MARINO-ANDORRA and NO ONE in this forum talked about that match, really?
-Wayne Shaw (the back-up GK at Sutton that went viral for being "a bit" stout) was fired, and the reason wasn't his form, was eating a pie, but not the mere act of eating while a match is underway, but they say there's a thing on bet-fixing or something

I think that's all, let's see what happens this weekend...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:-Also, i'm thoroughly disappointed with this forum: 2 days ago, we had a friggin' SAN MARINO-ANDORRA and NO ONE in this forum talked about that match, really?

Actually, quite a few of us were discussing it in the chat. Yes, even me...
#FreeGonzo
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Meanwhile in Belgium Some Genk fans are planning to travel by plane to their next opponent in the Europa League. At first sight, this is normal. But when you consider their opponent is Gent... :facepalm:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:-Also, i'm thoroughly disappointed with this forum: 2 days ago, we had a friggin' SAN MARINO-ANDORRA and NO ONE in this forum talked about that match, really?

Given the result, I'd like to pretend it never happened.

:(
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

RIP Leyton Orient FC?

It's now looking increasingly likely that Leyton Orient could become the first club to liquidate whilst part of the Football League since Maidstone United and Aldershot both went under in 1992.

As recently as 2014, they were one game away from promotion to the Championship, and at this rate, relegation to the Conference seems like the best case scenario.

I assume they'll reduce the number of relegation spots from League Two downwards rather than an extra promotion spot.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Belgian logic
With the regular season of 1B over, the champion Lierse will promote to 1A. Or... it doesnt...
Actually, because of reverting to only 8 teams, they split the competition in half, meaning that the period champions (Roeselare and Antwerp) will play a final for promotion. Before the season, everyone was asking: "but what if another team scores more points during the whole season?". Well that's exactly what happened... The team that diserved promotion the most doesnt get promotion. They do get to play in Playoff 2 of division 1A...
Wait what, that doesnt make sense? No it does indeed make no sense, but the 3 highest ranked 1B teams that did not get promoted do get to participate in the playoff 2 of 1A, which is an idiot system to begin with. (see way earlier in this thread). This however leads to the cool but absurd situation that 4th placed 1B team Union could in theory still qualify for the Europa League.
Theres also a play-downs included for the other 4 teams, starting with half points.

Meanwhile currently it's looking like 3 of the 'big 5' are missing out on playoff1 in 1A (top 6). Which i think is pretty cool. It's not a surprising seeing Standard or Genk failing (again), but my expectations of Gent were higher.

Meanwhile in amateur divisions: everything is normal and logical.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

FullMetalJack wrote:RIP Leyton Orient FC?

It's now looking increasingly likely that Leyton Orient could become the first club to liquidate whilst part of the Football League since Maidstone United and Aldershot both went under in 1992.

As recently as 2014, they were one game away from promotion to the Championship, and at this rate, relegation to the Conference seems like the best case scenario.

I assume they'll reduce the number of relegation spots from League Two downwards rather than an extra promotion spot.

I was not previously aware of this but I've no sympathy. No doubt that idiot Hearn will blame it on West Ham - that's his default mode.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Barbazza wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:RIP Leyton Orient FC?

I was not previously aware of this but I've no sympathy. No doubt that idiot Hearn will blame it on West Ham - that's his default mode.

I'm guessing related to the Olympic Stadium?

Anyway, maybe starting from the 9th tier is the way to go. Look at Hereford, their fans must be having some their best moments supporting them right now. I never like seeing teams liquidate, although admittedly if MK Dons went bust i'd be delighted, and I wouldn't be at all bothered if Crawley Town did too.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

FullMetalJack wrote:I'm guessing related to the Olympic Stadium?

Yes...he wouldn't stop banging on about it, laughably saying that they should have the stadium. Him and Daniel Levy were insufferable, but you know what they say - pricks of a feather stick together. Or something like that...
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

5-bathplugging-1. In both legs. If Wenger hangs on to start the 2017/18 season I'm changing my avatar to a random French microcar.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Regenmeister94 wrote:5-bathplugging-1. In both legs. If Wenger hangs on to start the 2017/18 season I'm changing my avatar to a random French microcar.

I think finishing 5th/6th may be the best thing that could happen to Arsenal long term.

Without Kroenke's precious Champions League money, they may realise change is needed.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Regenmeister94 wrote:5-bathplugging-1. In both legs. If Wenger hangs on to start the 2017/18 season I'm changing my avatar to a random French microcar.

I think finishing 5th/6th may be the best thing that could happen to Arsenal long term.

Without Kroenke's precious Champions League money, they may realise change is needed.

I wonder if Newcastle and Leeds fans were told the same thing when their teams dropped out of the top 4...and eventually the Premier League. :facepalm:
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Regenmeister94 wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:

I wonder if Newcastle and Leeds fans were told the same thing when their teams dropped out of the top 4...and eventually the Premier League. :facepalm:

Leeds and Newcastle aren't stagnant and in desperate need of something at the club to change. Admittedly it's not just Wenger, Kroenke is only concerned with getting the Champions League money every year.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Reject of Champions League to PSG already?
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
AdrianBelmonte_

'Nuff said
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

RIP Ugo Ehiogu, 44 is no age at all these days.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Woah, Union SG is on a roll in Play Off 2! Shame they don't have a European license.

Now standard on the other hand :facepalm:
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I never thought i'd find myself saying this after our first half of the season, but I think we're down. Today's defeat to Villa was really hard to take.

I guess League One at least has a few terraces, so there's that.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

FullMetalJack wrote:I never thought i'd find myself saying this after our first half of the season, but I think we're down. Today's defeat to Villa was really hard to take.

Looking forward to welcoming you to Kingsmeadow, although there's not a lot of space for away fans!

Really sad news about Ugo Ehiogu, far too young and we didn't get to see what a good coach he could have been.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

watka wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:I never thought i'd find myself saying this after our first half of the season, but I think we're down. Today's defeat to Villa was really hard to take.

Looking forward to welcoming you to Kingsmeadow, although there's not a lot of space for away fans!

Looking forward to going there, i'm already assuming we will.

Even if we stay in the Championship, there's always the FA Cup.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

To echo FullMetalJack's woes somewhat: can anyone explain what in the name of HWNSNBM has happened to Coventry City? Have they been the victim of another Venky's-type debacle while I wasn't looking for the last... 12 years or so?

It's just occurred to me that it'll be nearly 30 years to the day that they won the FA Cup - back in the days when, perennial strugglers though they may have been, they were in a 34-year stint in the top division. Although in the 1986-87 season, they finished an unusually high 10th in the league - one place above Manchester United.

Now they find themselves looking at a spell in the basement, where they'll have a league fixture against, of all teams: Achkhxkhchkxhkcrington Stanley? 'Oo are they? Only a team that were playing in the North West Counties League Division One - six levels further down the pyramid at the time - when Coventry lifted that famous cup.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dinizintheoven wrote:To echo FullMetalJack's woes somewhat: can anyone explain what in the name of HWNSNBM has happened to Coventry City? Have they been the victim of another Venky's-type debacle while I wasn't looking for the last... 12 years or so?

It's just occurred to me that it'll be nearly 30 years to the day that they won the FA Cup - back in the days when, perennial strugglers though they may have been, they were in a 34-year stint in the top division. Although in the 1986-87 season, they finished an unusually high 10th in the league - one place above Manchester United.

Now they find themselves looking at a spell in the basement, where they'll have a league fixture against, of all teams: Achkhxkhchkxhkcrington Stanley? 'Oo are they? Only a team that were playing in the North West Counties League Division One - six levels further down the pyramid at the time - when Coventry lifted that famous cup.

A hedge fund by the name of Sisu. It'd take a long time to explain why/how they're killing the club, so take a look at this if you get the chance. It may be worth noting, Sisu did almost purchase Southampton instead. Their fortunes would have changed drastically.

No top 6 finish in any form since 1970 i'm reliably informed; on the plus side, they can get promoted in 7th place in that league, which I believe Wimbledon did last season.

As for Accrington Stanley, don't rule out promotion that they just missed out on last season. It's unlikely seeing as they're currently 13th, but they can still make playoffs. It'll be three out of Exeter, Blackpool, Stevenage, Mansfield, Wycombe, Carlisle, Cambridge, Colchester, Accrington and Grimsby joining Luton in the playoffs.

Also, Cheltenham are still at risk of relegation, and would be the first team to drop straight out of the Football League since promotion from the Conference became automatic. I wouldn't put money on that though. Shortest spell I can remember any team having was Kidderminster, although that would have been partly when it was 1 up 1 down.
AdrianBelmonte_

Osasuna has become the first team to be relegated from La Liga this season, just saying
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Blackburn Rovers relegated to League One. Venkys have evidently seen SISU's efforts at Coventry and those loony Belgians at Charlton and thought "we can match you". :badoer:

Meanwhile, Birmingham stay up, but Villa manage to cost Brighton the league title.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

East Londoner wrote:Blackburn Rovers relegated to League One. Venkys have evidently seen SISU's efforts at Coventry and those loony Belgians at Charlton and thought "we can match you". :badoer:

Meanwhile, Birmingham stay up, but Villa manage to cost Brighton the league title.

Apparently when they took over, they thought there was no relegation from the Premier League.

On another note, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!

If you read this, sorry AndreaModa.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Although it's tragic, it was depressingly inevitable. If not this season it would have certainly been next, probably with a complete collapse and an embarrassingly low points total.

Although he didn't have a great record at Coventry I hope we keep Tony Mowbray and that he's given a bit of money to spend. Otherwise I fear we're in deep shite. A lot of the squad were loanees that are unlikely to be around next season.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AndreaModa wrote:Although it's tragic, it was depressingly inevitable. If not this season it would have certainly been next, probably with a complete collapse and an embarrassingly low points total.

Although he didn't have a great record at Coventry I hope we keep Tony Mowbray and that he's given a bit of money to spend. Otherwise I fear we're in deep shite. A lot of the squad were loanees that are unlikely to be around next season.

Hope you can get rid of Venky's, it's ridiculous how they're allowed to run a football club.

It's quite a shame QPR's form picked up a couple of months back. I'd much rather them had gone down rather than any of us three.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

The further thought occurs: wasn't there supposed to be some sort of "fit and proper person" test, or whatever it might be called, to weed out those who should no more be allowed to run a football club as Gary Glitter should be to open a creche?

Or was that just in Italy after the debacle with Rubentus and more than a handful of others?

Or is it that those who are in charge of enforcing the rules choose to look the other way when a large brown envelope reaches their doorstep postmarked from India? (or China, Malaysia, Brazil, Russia, or any other "New Money" economy that's producing all these shady billionaire owners...)

Someone, somewhere along the line, is not doing their job.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dinizintheoven wrote:The further thought occurs: wasn't there supposed to be some sort of "fit and proper person" test, or whatever it might be called, to weed out those who should no more be allowed to run a football club as Gary Glitter should be to open a creche?

Someone, somewhere along the line, is not doing their job.

There is, but Shaun Harvey basically admitted that it only decides who has the money to run a club, and doesn't determine whether or not they can run it properly. Obviously trying to force B teams into competitions is more important than not letting football clubs die.

And yet, Stephen Vaughan of Chester City infamy, still managed to fail it.