The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Aguvazk

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by Aguvazk »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Nobody's going to talk about Virgil Van Dijk's transfer record?

Is insane!!! If a young defender worth that much... How much values Messi? O Cristiano Ronaldo? And before... Maradona, Pelé, Beckenbauer, Cruyff??

By the way, i prefer using that money for buy Manor, :D
I'm not a serious person
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

FullMetalJack wrote:Too high up the football pyramid. Although for dinizintheoven, the Northern Premier League is too high up to be worth discussing.

I apologise for nothing! The further you go up the pyramid, the less likely you are to find rejectful shenanigans worthy of Life and Andrea Moda preparing cars in Superleague Formula. Isn't that right, long-suffering fans of Woodford United?

Actually, have they got any fans left?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

dinizintheoven wrote:I apologise for nothing! The further you go up the pyramid, the less likely you are to find rejectful shenanigans worthy of Life and Andrea Moda preparing cars in Superleague Formula. Isn't that right, long-suffering fans of Woodford United?

Well, Benevento Calcio is our own Lighthouse of Alexandria on top flight

BENEVENTO UPDATE: They won their second match of the season (back-to-back wins!) at home against Sampdoria! maybe the greatest relegation escape ever is on the cards?
Last edited by AdrianBelmonte_ on 07 Jan 2018, 06:28, edited 1 time in total.
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dinizintheoven wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:Too high up the football pyramid. Although for dinizintheoven, the Northern Premier League is too high up to be worth discussing.

I apologise for nothing! The further you go up the pyramid, the less likely you are to find rejectful shenanigans worthy of Life and Andrea Moda preparing cars in Superleague Formula. Isn't that right, long-suffering fans of Woodford United?

Non-league can be fascinating at times, if you ignore the media acting as if the only non-league teams that exist are Salford City and Billericay Town.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

FullMetalJack wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:

Non-league can be fascinating at times, if you ignore the media acting as if the only non-league teams that exist are Salford City and Billericay Town.

Have you seen the Billericay owner's Twitter account? Textbook definition of a knob.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Have you seen the Billericay owner's Twitter account? Textbook definition of a knob.

Agreed. To paraphrase Kevin Keegan, I would love it if Dulwich beat them to the title this season, love it!.
AdrianBelmonte_

The glorious UEFA Nations League division D, evribaday
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

So many heavy-hitters! Not only do we get guaranteed matches between these teams for a while, but one of the 16 will be at Euro 2020. Bloody good stuff, sir.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
AdrianBelmonte_

tommykl wrote:So many heavy-hitters! Not only do we get guaranteed matches between these teams for a while, but one of the 16 will be at Euro 2020. Bloody good stuff, sir.

Looking forward to the Luxembourg-San Marino and Liechtenstein-Gibraltar
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

So bets on who will get that qualifying spot? I vote Faroe Islands
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'll bet on Latvia, seeing as they've been to a major tournament before.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AdrianBelmonte_

I'll put my money on Azerbaijan
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I'd love to see the Faroes get it, and they have made huge leaps forwards recently, but it's hard to look past the might of Latvia.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
girry

Post by girry »

I would not bet on Latvia, after their 2004 glory run Latvian football has mainly crashed down and burned due to clashes between the native Latvians and Russians in the country.

IMO: Safe bets would be on the solidish Georgia & Belarus, secondary picks on the high-investing Azerbaijan & Kazakhstan, and the dark horse choices on the giant-teasing Luxembourg & of course the low-experience but high-potential Kosovo team full of youngsters in decent European clubs. :dance:
when you're dead people start listening
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fiorentina captain Davide Astori has been found dead in his hotel room this morning. He was only 31. :(

All Serie A matches including the Milan derby have been postponed as a mark of respect.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

As the forum's resident Viola fan, it goes without saying that I was very shocked and upset when I heard the news earlier.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Isthmian Premier (level 7) table toppers Dulwich Hamlet have been kicked out of their Champion Hill ground. Not only that, but Meadow are even preventing them from using their own name, as they have trademarked it.

Still no news as to who they'll groundshare with for the remainder of the season.

All this in the same week as a 3-1 victory away at title rivals Billericay Town; a result I really enjoyed.
AdrianBelmonte_

AC Milan 0-1 Benevento Calcio

THERE'S STILL HOPE!!!1

Update: There's no hope, they're relegated already, f*ck sake, Crotone, why did you have to win against Udinese???????
Last edited by AdrianBelmonte_ on 23 Apr 2018, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Gainsborough Trinity were relegated from the National League North this weekend after a 3-2 defeat at the hands of AFC Telford United.

Whilst this may not be considered big footballing news, it is the first time in their history that they have been promoted or relegated.

Not bad for a club that has existed since 1873.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Well, today it starts. As in this forum the interest is mainly on underdogs, I assume Panama is the team to watch.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

I'm still more of an Iceland fan, after all they're still the least populated country to have ever qualified for a world cup.

Tho i'd defenitely root for Panama in the games that they don't have to face Belgium. (which is likely the most overrated team in the tournament)
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

Ok, Matchday 1 is over, let's do a mini recap:

Podium:

Teams

3. Russia: A really good performance from the hosts in the first game. Yes, Saudi Arabia is a strong candidate for the worst team of the tournament, but not everyone could score 5 goals in a WC debut.

2. Japan: An impressive triumph against a good team like Colombia, showing us why the breach between good and average teams is reducing every year.

1. Mexico: WOW, i was watching the game saying "In anytime Germany will score..." because.. it's Germany, right?. The defending champions, the mighty germans will eventually scored and win the game, but never happened that and Mexico wins the game. Amazing!

HM: Senegal, Belgium, Iceland.

Players

3. Diego Costa: A good perfomance for the spanish player, reediming himself for the 2014 fiasco, but his 2 goals were not enough for winning vs Portugal.

2. Harry Kane: There's only one Harry Kane, right? Well, Kane might be the man who takes England to the next level. With 2 striker's goals in the debut, Harry give a deserved but almost elusive win for England.

1. Cristiano Ronaldo: Well, the most anticipated game for this matchday, and this guy stole all the limelights with a hat-trick, the third goal a masterpiece. A man with as many talent as arrogance (and, by the way, it's a lot!)

Hm: Denis Cheryshev, Romelu Lukaku, Yuya Osako

And the counter-podium (a reject podium, perhaps...?)

Teams

3. Brazil: Ok, maybe the strongest candidate to win the WC before the Begin of the tournament, facing a good-average team like Switzerland... easy win 2-0, playing at 75% of their capacities, right? Wrong!!! An soul-less performance derivated in a 1-1 draw.

2. Argentina: Another South American team, not as candidate as Brazil, but faced, imho, a more weak rival. I don´t expected an easy game, not for Iceland, for Argentina itself, and my fear became real: an argentinian side with no ideas for beat the Iceland rock (10 men defending, wtf!) and missing a penalty. Argentina have (we have, i´m argentinian, btw) the best player in the world, but they can't make him shine like in Barcelona (this is a recurrent topic here) In Messi we trust.

1. Germany: The champions... well, if anyone would tell me before the game "Mexico 1- Germany 0" i would say it "go home, you´re drunk" but, that happened the sunday. A displicent first half with a counterattack for Mexico and one down for the germans, then a second half when the germans push and push, but with not a real fear for Ochoa. Well, Moscow is not a friendly place for the germans, right?

Hm: Saudi Arabia, Panama, Poland

Players

3. Lionel Messi: A not-so-good performance for the star of the south american team, could salvage the game with a penalty, but... awful. I repeat, In Messi we trust

2. David De Gea: The spanish GK gifting Ronaldo a goal is not what Spain need. The draw, and the fact that Morocco and Iran are the others team in the Group minimized the mistake, but a really amateur mistake.

1. Carlos Sanchez(COL): 3 minutes in the game, a handball, a penalty, a red card and one goal down, enough said. This error cost the game for Colombia, and maybe the qualification for the next round.

Hm, The Saudi Arabia centredefenders duo, Szczesny and the polish defender, Kyle Walker.
I'm not a serious person
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

To be fair, Panama did rather well, Belgium had to take an unplanned extra rest day because they did push us to the physical limits. It didn't show in results for them, but i think they'll be able to leave the tournament with their heads held high.

And well Iceland played like that at the Eurocup too and defetead England, drew against Portugal, Hungary and Austria and only got defeated by the french when they were reaching their physical limit. Iceland never played pretty, but it was still hype because well it's a country with a similar amount of inhabitants as Luxembourg... It's mostly their fans who made an impression though.

Whilst theres been some surprises, there was nothing that i considered impossible. Germany had a bad preparation, Switzerland had a supreme qualifying campaign, Russia has the home benefit. Only surprised me just how poor Saudi-Arabia was.. It seems at least the Saudis underestimated the physical effects of the Ramadan (muscle loss) and looked totally physically unprepared.
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

Matchday 2

Podium

Teams

3. Germany: In the brink of elimination, the teutons show they skills and win the cruccial game. Always attacking and with confidence, they're alive in the WC.

2. Belgium: An exhibition from the belgians, 5 goals, and a lot of opportunities to score even more goals. When Hazard and DeBruyne are connected the game is a delight to see.

1. Croatia: An excellent perfomance, showing a mature team who knows how to defence and how to attack. A dark Horse, maybe?

Hm: England, Uruguay, Mexico

Players

3. Luca Modric: Always seems to manage the tempo of the game and a beatiful goal proves the quality of the croatian player.

2. Harry Kane: A hat trick for an excellent striker, now leader in the race for the golden boot, 2 games and 5 goals, and England is in the next round.

1. Toni Kross: The greats players tend to appear in the moment when his team need it, and Toni Kross did it. Control the attack of Germany with patience and what a goal in the last minute. Amazing!

Hm Romelu Lukaku, Chicharito Hernandez, Ahmed Musa

Counterpodium

Teams
3. Panama: The guys from Panama simply go to Russia for tourism, 2 penalties (maybe had to be more) a lot of deconcentration, simply awful.

2. Poland: Well, Poland, a seed in the draw but today nothing far from that. A defeat 0-3 in a "final" game is really bad.

1. Argentina: A soulless perfomance from the argentinian. They show no ideas for beat the well balanced croatian team, and 0-1 they lost all the confidence and trew away the game. The only positive for this day come the next day with the Nigeria's win, giving one more chance for Argentina.

DHM: Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Egypt

Players

3. Lionel Messi: Showing nothing. This isn't the best player in the world.

2. Robert Lewandosky: One of the best striker in the WC with one of the worst perfomance in the tournament. 1 game left and he's out.

1. Wilfredo Caballero: Showing a lack of concentration in the game (and in the tournament). A really amateur mistake putting Argentina in the brink of the elimination. Is a bad GK, never catch a ball, always giving rebounds. I don´t undestand why is starter. Put Armani in!!!!!!!!!!

DHM: Eiji Kawashima, The others players from Portugal who doesn't named "Ronaldo"
I'm not a serious person
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Poland really gave the impression that they didn't want to be there. In my opinion that's the worst possible way to fail. Be it ineptitude or an Argentinean drama soap, at least the other teams have showed emotions. Poland couldn't even show the slightest bit of emotion or interest...
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

Yes, Poland seems displicent. I like so far Belgium, Japan (my favourite underdogs) Croatia (despite cause me bitterness the other day)
I'm not a serious person
girry

Post by girry »

ROTT settled then. Never seen any team as hapless as Germany!
when you're dead people start listening
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

What is it with reigning champions going out in the group stage?!
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

As I follow a lot of ice hockey, it is familiar that the losing side will remove their goalie late in the game and get extra attacker. More often than helping, it ends with the opponent scoring into the empty net.

Well, in football it's not possible as such, but the goalie can join the attack. Which happened with Neuer today, Republic of Korea was able to set an empty-netter.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Welp, Germany have themselves ROTC. Though I'm also, and I feel like a jerk for saying this, disappointed in Iceland; they were a shoo-in for Most Heartbreaking Group Stage Elimination, but they lost it to Iran.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Just terrific, belgium-england, a game where both teams try to not win and play with a b-team. Our coach seeming slighlty worried when Januzaj scored and we accidentally won :D Weird athmosphere.
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

Matchday 3

Podium

Teams

3.Sweden: An excellent game for Sweden, 3-0 to Mexico and qualify for the next round. What else want?
2.Croatia: Stellar first round for the croatians: 9 points, now facing Denmark.
1.Uruguay: The South american team dominated the host, showing severity while scoring 3 goals (a rare feat for the charruas)
HM Argentina, Colombia, Belgium

Players

3.Lionel Messi: In Messi we trust, and now he saved us! What a incredible goal, the control of the ballwas perfect and the strike(with the rigth foot)too. Above all that, he gave all in the pitch.
2.Cho Hyun-Woo: A clean sheet for Korea against Germany, enough said.
1.Philippe Coutinho: With Neymar in another place, Coutinho took the mantle and firmly takes Brazil to the next round with a excellent perfomance vs. Serbia

HM Ludwig Augustinsson, Luis Suarez

Counter Podium

Teams

3. Denmark/France: Booooooring! At least take some shots.
2. Egypt: They have a moment of deconcentration and lost the game vs Saudi Arabia, finishing last in the group. Awful
1. Germany: The germans didn't play well in the WC, but with the combinations of results they could qualify with a goal against South Korea. But not only they didn't score, also lost the match. Truly the ROTWC

DHM Mexico, Spain, Portugal

Players

3. Michy Batshuayi: Oh, man! I see the video of that blooper over and over and over.
2. Thomas Muller: M.I.A. Anyway, all the germans play hide and seek in their last game, but Muller stand above all.
1. Manuel Neuer: Ok, you're a really good keeper, you can play well with your feets, but... Why you go to the other area and leave the goal alone?? A rejectful homage to Higuita antics in Italy '90

DHM Robert Lewandosky, all the VAR critics.

Let´s the carnage begins!
I'm not a serious person
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

Matchday 4

The second round gave us some of the best matches in the WC, like France vs Argentina and Belgium vs Japan

Podium

Teams

3. Belgium: When the japaneses scored their second goal was a shock, but the belgians could recovery the form and win the match in literally the last ball of the day.

2. France: France show all their class in an excellent game vs Argentina. Mbappe was brilliant, Griezmann was a good sidekick and the amazing goal from Pavard, all of that shows the variants on the french attack.

1.Uruguay: A flawless defensive performance from the uruguayans, neutralizing Ronaldo all the time, but the key to win the match was the effective attack for the duo Cavani-Suarez. A strong candidate.

Hm. Russia, Japan

Players

3. Danijel Subasic: The croatian gk had an mistake in the Denmark's goal but in the penalty shoot-out was stellar, saving 3 penalties! giving the spot in the final 8 to Croatia.

2. Edinson Cavani: 2 goals for the triumph of his team in a really good performance, outshining Cristiano Ronaldo and also his team-mate Suarez.

1. Kylian Mbappe: Literally a locomotive! The french youngster do what he want with the argentinian defence: 2 goals, the foul derivated in the penalty. Cleary a new superstar in the football's cosmos.

Hm. Kasper Schmeichel, Igor Akinfeev

Counter podium

Teams

3. Argentina: Maybe the momentum from the match vs Nigeria and some shining moments from their stars could save a really chaotic team, with a more caotic coach. But no, the reality strikes hard: Argentina never got the control of the game, despite going ahead in the score for a while. A sad farewell for a good generation.

2. Mexico: From more to less in the WC, their slip vs Sweden really cost too much. Against Brazil there's nothing they can do.

1. Spain: A game with no nets for Spain, having the possesion for nothing. If you wanna win, you have to score, and if you wanna score, you have to shoot to the goal!! An stupid mistake, a penalty, a goal, and missed some penalties and you're out!

DHM: Japan (that final corner), Sweden vs Switzerland (boooring)

Players

3. Cristiano Ronaldo:
The chances for Portugal to win the WC was related to the performance of their star, and the star didn't shine. Game over

2. The argentinian defence: France is a really great team, but 4 goals in a knockout game? Come on!!

1. Gerard Pique: An amateur, almost stupid mistake, that cost the draw and the eventually elimination for Spain.

DHM: Sampaoli (a knockout game without a striker, enough said), David De Gea.

Heading the quarterfinals
I'm not a serious person
AdrianBelmonte_

Wow Belgium

WOW
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

Matchday 5

The quarterfinals bring us a (little) surprise

Podium:

Teams

2. England: A solid performance in all the lines for the english players. It's a deserved semifinal for England.

1. Belgium: The belgians show the balls neccessaries for eliminate a giant like Brazil and reach the semifinals. Well done for a classy generation.

Players

3. Thibaut Courtois: A brilliant performance, denying Brazil in various occasions. A good team needs a good keeper.

2. Antoine Griezmann: The french guy takes the spot between the uruguayan area and the midfield circle and, from there, leads the attack for his team, with brilliants moments and a goal (assisted)

1. Eden Hazard: The master of the ball. He got the ball and was impossible to stole it for the brazilians. remind me a lot to Zidane in the '06 quarterfinal vs Brazil (Zidane was perfect in that match, Hazard was close)

Counter podium

Teams:

2. Sweden: The swedish team reach their limit in this wc. They can't going further with this tactics, needing some more firepower to progress.

1. Uruguay: The absent of Cavani proves to be too much for Uruguay. Suarez was a little absent too, and the mistake from Muslera was the nail of the coffin. For reach semifinals they need a more depth bench.

Players:

3. Mario Fernandes: Yes, he scored the equalizer, but, he missed the penalty and by far. That's not acceptable for a professional player IMHO

2. Luis Suarez: Really absent in the game. Another one bite the dust, lol

1. Fernando Muslera: Awful mistake for the keeper, after that France was out of reach (anyway, they didn't going to score a goal)

So, now we have 2 and 2, my sister predicted a new winner a week ago, could she will be right?
I'm not a serious person
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Sure you meant De Bruyne as best player of Belgium and not Hazard this time. It was Hazards least game this world cup (because his pass accuracy was horrible this time, fancy footwork doesnt mean a lot if you can't create danger), but De Bruyne finally shone like we expected. Also interesting to see Lukaku playing not deep Of course, Martinez still knows Romelu from his Everton days.

Here in Belgium we have a feeling 'France will be difficult, but England will be a piece of cake' I wonder what Croatia can still do.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I don't really follow football or this thread, but having heard a certain song on the radio, I was reminded of an old phrase on this forum...

Football, go home!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

i think my world cup is broken, i need a new one.

enland save us from the borefest that is the french national team! (god depending on england is the last thing you'd want in football, okay, croatia, you save us instead!)
AdrianBelmonte_

So it's not coming home then...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

And with a score of two deserved goals and one iffy goal to two deserved goals, France win the World Cup!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in