The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by FullMetalJack »

Forest Green Rovers, the world's first all vegan football club won promotion to the Football League for the first time yesterday.

Apparently Dale Vince has claimed that promotion again will be easy. I'm not too sure. There's more promotion spots, but with all the money they spent, they didn't half struggle to eventually reach this level.

Their losses are staggering for that level too. If he was to ever pull out, yikes. I suppose Rushden & Diamonds did reach the Second Division (League One as it's known now), so who knows?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

FullMetalJack wrote:Their losses are staggering for that level too. If he was to ever pull out, yikes. I suppose Rushden & Diamonds did reach the Second Division (League One as it's known now), so who knows?

...and look where they are now.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dinizintheoven wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:Their losses are staggering for that level too. If he was to ever pull out, yikes. I suppose Rushden & Diamonds did reach the Second Division (League One as it's known now), so who knows?

...and look where they are now.

That's kinda the point I was trying to make.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

With pretty much everything in this season's football tied up (with only a few promotion play-offs to be decided), it's time for the Official Reject Of The Year Awards for the top ten levels of the English football pyramid!

It should not come as a massive surprise that these all come from the nether regions of those league tables which are accessible from Wikipedia - where amateur teams are plentiful and ridiculous mismatches are far more likely to occur where any given club might only be able to field half a team on a particularly bad day.

Dishonourable mentions: Gornal Athletic of the West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division (which is at level 10, not 9) scored only 9 points all season with a mere two wins, and conceded 130 goals - but Wellington Amateurs, who finished one place above them with 23 points (and were also relegated) conceded 149. Hailsham Town of the Southern Combination Football League Premier Division (level 9) went one worse than Gornal, finishing with 8 points from 38 games, 22 points behind their nearest rivals, 28 points from safety and 158 goals in the back of their own net (which still wasn't the worst record of them all). Meanwhile, football in Cornwall may be rather isolated from the rest of the country (Truro City excepted) but in the South West Peninsula League Premier Division (again, level 10, not 9), St Blazey - home of the Eden Project - managed to do even worse, picking up only 7 points in 38 games, and were one of five teams in the division who conceded a century of goals; Newquay, one place above them and reprieved from relegation by the resignation of Tiverton Town Reserves, conceded more. Then there's Epsom Athletic, who either won or lost all their games in the Combined Counties League Division One (level 10), never being satisfied with a draw - thing is, they only won two games and finished with 6 points. Also, they only played 33 games rather than the full 34 - "two matches were left unplayed because the visiting clubs were unable to raise teams" - I'll bet that Epsom were one of those away teams, and it's not as if it'd have made much difference to their season anyway.

Bronze: Burton Park Wanderers, of the United Counties League Division One (level 10).
Their record for the season: played 36, won 1, drew 4, lost 31, scored 20, conceded 128, 7 points.
Ordinarily this would stand out on its own, but Burton Park Wanderers beat Epsom into the reject medal table because of the league they're in and the company they keep. This was a genuine three-way race for the wooden spoon with two other clubs I've noted the continuing woes of in recent seasons - second from bottom Stewarts & Lloyds Corby (9 points) and third from bottom Woodford United (12 points). These three were 23 points adrift of the rest of the field, and if Whittlesey Athletic hadn't resigned from the league and every team had had two more games to play, the gap might have been even wider. It's as if the United Counties League have their very own equivalents of Caterham, Marussia and HRT, all vying to be the first to the bottom. And with these three teams all taking points off each other (for instance, Burton and Stewarts beat each other once each, and Burton drew with Woodford) this makes Burton's race to the bottom even more rejectful than Epsom's self-inflicted downfall.

Silver: Southam United, of the Midland Football League Division One (level 10).
Their record for the season: played 38, won 0, drawn 5, lost 33, scored 12, conceded 195, 5 points.
I am reminded of a scene in Atletico Partick (for those of you who remember this epic tale of Glaswegian Sunday League football in 1995 starring Gordon "National Lottery, and also Hudzen 10" Kennedy) in which the goalkeeper, Pettigrew, has to play a match in his carpet slippers, because his witchcraft-obsessed wife has put a curse on his football boots. I can think of no other explanation for how any defence can be quite so leaky; Southam United conceded more goals than any other club in any of the top ten levels in English football - and considering the far and wide spread of the pyramid, that's a lot of divisions. The next worst record I can find for goals conceded in the top ten levels is in the 160s - still a lot, but 30 fewer than Southam managed. No wonder they finished 29 points below also-relegated Pelsall Villa and never won a game all season.

Gold: Ellistown & Ibstock United, of the East Midlands Counties Football League (level 10).
Their record for the season: played 42, won 0, drew 3, lost 39, scored 23, conceded 158, 3 points.
I said there were a lot of divisions in the first ten levels of the English football pyramid; I counted, and there are 47 - some of the leagues have divisions at level 11 or below, but I haven't counted those. Give a round of applause, if you will, for the first team (this is an important distinction) with the worst record in any of these 47 divisions. Along the course of suffering more defeats than any Premiership club will play league fixtures all season, Ellistown & Ibstock United recorded the heaviest home defeat of the season - 11-0 when Birstall United came to visit, had the longest losing run in the division at 10 games (neither end of which was marked with a win) and only managed to finish within 15 points of their closest challengers because Greenwood Meadows had 18 points deducted and had fallen to second bottom behind Gedling Miners Welfare, with a still-unimpressive 24 points. Amazingly, Ellistown & Ibstock United didn't take the hardest away thrashing of the season - that dishonour went to fourth-bottom Graham Street Prims, who came to Dunkirk FC (yes, the team representing the small residential part of Nottingham I live in) and headed home after a 13-0 battering. Over the course of the season, though, Ellistown & Ibstock were more consistently terrible.

And yet, even they are overshadowed...

Extra-Special Platinum Award: Ferring, of the Southern Combination Division Two.
Their record for the season: played 28, won 0, drew 0, lost 28, scored 14, conceded 300, 0 points.
Technically, Ferring shouldn't be part of this round-up because Division Two sits at level 11, but their record is so dismal it can't be ignored. Genuinely, they may as well have stayed at home for every match as their points record was equalled by AFC Roffey Club who resigned from the league in August without playing a match - and didn't have to take a leathering every single match day. Ferring shipped an average of more than ten goals per game - but just to hammer the point home, I've found their full results list for the season, and if any Blackburn Rovers or Coventry City fans are reading this, just be grateful your results list didn't look like this:

20th August 2016: Jarvis Brook 18 Ferring 0 (att: 75)
23rd August 2016: Ferring 1 Bosham 15 (att: 18)
27th August 2016: Ferring 2 Rottingdean Village 9 (att: 16)
29th August 2016: Worthing Town Leisure 18 Ferring 1 (att: 50)
3rd September 2016: Cowfold 18 Ferring 0 (att: 42)
17th September 2016: Ferring 0 Alfold 3 (att: 120)
24th September 2016: Westfield 9 Ferring 0 (att: 41)
1st October 2016: Ferring 1 Lancing United 12 (att: 13)
8th October 2016: Rottingdean Village 5 Ferring 3 (att: 15) - what a result!
15th October 2016: Rustington 5 Ferring 0 (att: 45)
22nd October 2016: Ferring 0 Montpelier Villa 11 (att: 17)
29th October 2016: Roffey 13 Ferring 1 (att: 58)
12th November 2016: Ferring 0 Rustington 8 (att: 12)
19th November 2016: Ferring 1 Clymping 7 (att: 12)
26th November 2016: Bosham 16 Ferring 1 (att: 35)
3rd December 2016: Ferring 0 Westfield 5 (att: 12)
10th December 2016: Ferring 1 Sidlesham 5 (att: 35)
17th December 2016: Lancing United 13 Ferring 0 (att: 10)
26th December 2016: Upper Beeding 14 Ferring 0 (att: 35) - "we wish you a Merry Christmas... nah, only joking!"
2nd January 2017: Ferring 0 Worthing Town Leisure 8 (att: 25) - "...and a Happy New Year... or maybe not!"
7th January 2017: Clymping 8 Ferring 0 (att: 18)
14th January 2017: Montpelier Villa 13 Ferring 0 (att: 5) - those five were probably Montpelier Villa fans
28th January 2017: Alfold 8 Ferring 0 (att: 27)
4th February 2017: Ferring 0 Cowfold 12 (att: 14)
11th February 2017: Ferring 0 Upper Beeding 17 (att: 16)
18th February 2017: Sidlesham 12 Ferring 0 (att: 16)
4th March 2017: Ferring 2 Jarvis Brook 11 (att: 18)
11th March 2017: Ferring 0 Roffey 7 (att: 60)

...the league continued until 29th April, but Ferring had played all their games six weeks before the end of the season, lost them all, and were probably glad it was all over. Possibly, someone in the league management knew this might happen - it's entirely possible they had the kind of meltdown that caused Woodford United to crash to such a horrific string of results a few years ago - and made sure all their fixtures were piled up as early as possible. Jarvis Brook, who scored 29 goals against Ferring in two games, won the division.

Amazingly, the 120 people who watched Ferring only lose 3-0 to Alfold - who finished second bottom - was the highest attendance for any match in the division that season; it's almost as if there were people who wanted to see the only chance Ferring might have of a decent result... either that or it was gallows humour as the two worst teams in the division fought for the scraps at the bottom of the bird table. The lowest attendance of them all was Upper Beeding's 3-0 home victory against Worthing Town Leisure in late August, which nobody went to watch.

And finally...

Would Have Been An Extra-Special Platinum Award If It Hadn't Been For Ferring: Wantage Town Reserves, of the Hellenic League Division One East, who also lost all 26 of their games this season; however, I'm going to let them off one of these awards, because they're a reserve team, hence why I said Ellistown & Ibstock had the worst record for a first team. Wantage Town's first team, incidentally, were relegated from the Southern League Division One South & West (the division won with minimal effort by Hereford), which suggests they shouldn't be fielding a reserve team at all next season.

After all that, I'm off for a late-night pie and a mug of Bovril.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dinizintheoven wrote:Bronze: Burton Park Wanderers, of the United Counties League Division One (level 10).
Their record for the season: played 36, won 1, drew 4, lost 31, scored 20, conceded 128, 7 points.
Ordinarily this would stand out on its own, but Burton Park Wanderers beat Epsom into the reject medal table because of the league they're in and the company they keep. This was a genuine three-way race for the wooden spoon with two other clubs I've noted the continuing woes of in recent seasons - second from bottom Stewarts & Lloyds Corby (9 points) and third from bottom Woodford United (12 points). These three were 23 points adrift of the rest of the field, and if Whittlesey Athletic hadn't resigned from the league and every team had had two more games to play, the gap might have been even wider. It's as if the United Counties League have their very own equivalents of Caterham, Marussia and HRT, all vying to be the first to the bottom. And with these three teams all taking points off each other (for instance, Burton and Stewarts beat each other once each, and Burton drew with Woodford) this makes Burton's race to the bottom even more rejectful than Epsom's self-inflicted downfall.

All that whilst their namesake Burton Albion enjoy their best ever season. A club their size somehow reaching the Championship and generally climbing up the leagues on merit *cough*Fleetwood*cough* *cough*Crawley*cough*, and even surviving with a game to go. Even we didn't manage that.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

So Manchester United just won the Europa League today...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:So Manchester United just won the Europa League today...

To be fair, it looked like anyone could win the Europa League this year.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
AdrianBelmonte_

This wrote:To be fair, it looked like anyone could win the Europa League this year.

Well, if United did it this year, absolutely ANYONE can win in the future
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
This wrote:To be fair, it looked like anyone could win the Europa League this year.

Well, if United did it this year, absolutely ANYONE can win in the future

We have unfinished business from 2011/12 after all. Getting 10 points in the group and still not getting through.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Andorra guys
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Andorra guys

Which also leads me to question 'what on earth is hungary doing?' I can't remember them being that bad...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

This wrote:

Which also leads me to question 'what on earth is hungary doing?' I can't remember them being that bad...

They were OK at Euro 2016, they finished top of their group and with a bit more luck would have beaten eventually champions Portugal. Andorra seem to be on a bit of a roll; three consecutive clean sheets!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

This is the same Hungary that topped their group at Euro 2016 and who oh so nearly knocked Portugal out of the tournament while doing it? What a difference a year makes

Congrats to Andorra though. 3 games without defeat. Beat San Marino in a friendly and drew their previous qualifier 0-0 with Faroe Islands. Elsewhere Gibraltar were just 3 minutes away from picking up their first qualifying point until Cyprus scored to win 2-1. Not often a Cyprus win isn't that special
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

watka wrote:
This wrote:

They were OK at Euro 2016, they finished top of their group and with a bit more luck would have beaten eventually champions Portugal. Andorra seem to be on a bit of a roll; three consecutive clean sheets!
it's not just andorra, with their current form, the battle for third could be between Andorra and Faroe Islands!
(somehow Latvia also mixes into this)
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Since this is Rejects forum, here's one rejectful performance from last week, by Hugo Lloris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snLgY1x50gQ
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Some of the most rejectful football i've ever seen. Thing is, this would have most likely been a Division 1/Championship fixture as well; seeing as Ipswich have been stuck in this league for years, and Tranmere used to be pretty good.

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

FullMetalJack wrote:Some of the most rejectful football i've ever seen. Thing is, this would have most likely been a Division 1/Championship fixture as well; seeing as Ipswich have been stuck in this league for years, and Tranmere used to be pretty good.

Did anyone do anything right in this play?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

tommykl wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:Some of the most rejectful football i've ever seen. Thing is, this would have most likely been a Division 1/Championship fixture as well; seeing as Ipswich have been stuck in this league for years, and Tranmere used to be pretty good.

Did anyone do anything right in this play?

Yes, the commentator. Even though it wasn't live it's still an achievement that he didn't burst out laughing.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

And the European comeback of Rangers ended in a glorious defeat against Progres Niederkorn, 4th placed team of Luxembourg. Oh Scotland, how much have you fallen. :facepalm:

The european debut of kosovar teams didn't end in glory either, champion Trepça lost against Faroëse champing Vikingur and Prishtina is suffering a more logical defeat against Norrkoping.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

This wrote:And the European comeback of Rangers ended in a glorious defeat against Progres Niederkorn, 4th placed team of Luxembourg. Oh Scotland, how much have you fallen. :facepalm:

The european debut of kosovar teams didn't end in glory either, champion Trepça lost against Faroëse champing Vikingur and Prishtina is suffering a more logical defeat against Norrkoping.

That Rangers result was glorious. I thought it would be difficult to top Celtic getting done over in one leg by Lincoln Red Imps.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

This wrote:The european debut of kosovar teams didn't end in glory either, champion Trepça lost against Faroëse champing Vikingur and Prishtina is suffering a more logical defeat against Norrkoping.

An important point to make here: Trepça '89 are the champions of Kosovo who lost against Vikingur; Trepça (formed in 1932) finished second from bottom of the Kosovo Super League and were relegated. Not a lot of people know that.

watka wrote:That Rangers result was glorious. I thought it would be difficult to top Celtic getting done over in one leg by Lincoln Red Imps.

And neither side will ever let the other forget their respective European ignominy. And then, Celtic fans will continue to gloat about that season Rangers had to play against the likes of Elgin City, Annan Athletic and the now-non-league East Stirlingshire, while Rangers fans will also continually invoke the headline "Super Caley Go Ballistic Celtic Are Atrocious" any time the green and white hoops have to make their way north for a match in Inverness. A lot of people know that, even outside Glasgow.
AdrianBelmonte_

This is Montilivi, the stadium of Girona FC, hours before hosting a match against Atlético Madrid

This has Furiani written all over it... :facepalm:
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

In early-season reject news, I have to recall a couple of previous posts:

dinizintheoven, 7 August 2014 wrote:In further football reject news: I was wondering what would become of Woodford United at the end of last season. Relegated two divisions after being whitewashed in 2012-13, they managed one solitary win in the 2013-14 United Counties League Division One, and a lot of heavy defeats, shipping 200 goals in the season. Where would they be relegated to this time? Oblivion in some Northamptonshire Sunday league?

dinizintheoven, 21 May 2017 wrote:Bronze: Burton Park Wanderers, of the United Counties League Division One (level 10).
Ordinarily this would stand out on its own, but Burton Park Wanderers beat Epsom into the reject medal table because of the league they're in and the company they keep. This was a genuine three-way race for the wooden spoon with two other clubs I've noted the continuing woes of in recent seasons - second from bottom Stewarts & Lloyds Corby (9 points) and third from bottom Woodford United (12 points). These three were 23 points adrift of the rest of the field, and if Whittlesey Athletic hadn't resigned from the league and every team had had two more games to play, the gap might have been even wider.

Unfortunately, there's been a further twist in this saga, as Woodford United's struggle against the odds that I've been tracking for over three years has seen them drop out the United Counties League - which they hadn't done at my end-of-season round-up. I now have my answer as to which obscure Sunday League they find themselves in - the Northamptonshire Combination Premier Division. Worryingly for their current crop of players, and anyone who might blunder into the team in the future, the Northamptonshire Combination has four further divisions for them to drop through until they find themselves playing against the likes of Corby Hellenic Fisher, Great Doddington, Thrapston Venturas and West Haddon Albion Reserves. Never mind Accrington Stanley, who are they? Meanwhile, their erstwhile rivals for the UCL wooden spoon, Stewarts & Lloyds Corby and Burton Park Wanderers, have both lost their first two games and are sitting on goal differences of -11 and -18 already. Burton are in this position courtesy of their second game, a 15-0 devastation at home to Harrowby United. Life is tough at the bottom of this league.

Still, attendances in these English minor leagues are positively buoyant compared to one I've seen recently. In the same post I've quoted above I also recorded the ordeal of Ferring's season in Southern Combination Division Two, an eleventh-level league that very rarely had an attendance in three figures and one game had no attendees at all. You'd think that would never happen in a higher division, right? The evidence I give you is these following fixtures from Cyprus, which were the lowest-attended in the division for that season:

18 February 2017: AEZ 0 Ermis 4 (att: 2)
25 January 2016: Doxa 2 Ayia Napa 0 (att: 4)
7 January 2015: Doxa 1 Ermis 3 (att: 7)
11 May 2014: AEK Kouklia 0 AEK Larnaca 0 (att: 2)
23 April 2014: AEK Kouklia 1 Ethnikls 4 (att: 2)

...did I mention this is the Cypriot First Division, home to APOEL, Omonia Nicosia and Apollon Limassol, clubs we're familiar with in major European competitions (even if they don't get very far)? I dread to think how many Cypriot Second Division matches are unattended, though I don't have any data for those that I can find.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Belgium is so screwed in Europe this year.
-Bruges embarrassed itself twice in both the CL and EL qualis (hardly surprising to see Bruges embarass themselves though)
-Gent also embarrassed themselves in EL preliminaries
-Oostende's loss could be forgiven because of lack of European experience and at least they showed something.
-Anderlecht has qualified for CL automatically and altough being in the same group as fellow rejects Celtic gives them a chance of third place, their JPL form doesnt suggest anything good.

Leaving all our nations hope in the hands of cup winners Zulte Waregem in the EL :? Though their competition start was good and the team is decent, they won't embarass themselves, but carrying the whole nations hope? They're a little too average for that.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

You want some more WS Brussels news? Well, in the meanwhile they
-Got kicked out of their stadium by the police
-Got suspended due to not being able to pay ex-players.
I'd say 'this soap keeps on being rejectful' but at the moment it looks like the team is finally in its death-throes and nobody is feeling sorry for it.

Meanwhile, many years ago i called Charleroi the Andrea Moda of football, nowadays they kinda got their shite together and are actually leading the standings. Just shows what kicking out a few rotten apples in the management can make a difference.
Meanwhile it also is going from bad to worse with Standard, Gent and Oostende all being at the bottom of the table.. The last time anyone called Standard a top team is looooooong ago. Also Anderlecht and Genk missed their start, but less dramaticly so and so did Mechelen but they weren't a top team to begin with. Also random reject teams like Mouscron, STVV, Beveren and Antwerp (altough they have money now) seem to be doing pretty good. Basically the only teams being at a position you'd expect them are Brugge, Z-Waregem, Lokeren and Eupen. it's gonna be an interesting year, that's for sure.
And oh, our national team qualified for the world cup in what is a very undewhelmingly weak group.
In the lower leagues, theres now also 2 teams claiming to be the successor or La Louvière. Then again it leaves me wondering why you'd even fight for the dubious title of being their spiritual successor...
AdrianBelmonte_

https://twitter.com/ChelseaFC/status/910861681101873152

FINALLY

Words can't describe how much excited i am...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:https://twitter.com/ChelseaFC/status/910861681101873152

FINALLY

Words can't describe how much excited i am...

Happy to sell the diva back to you for a tidy £15m profit, not to mention only £1m shy of what was paid for Morata.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Belgian teams in europe: 0 wins, 4 draws, 8 losses. Awtch, our coefficient is gonna get a hard hit.
UncreativeUsername37

I'm not asking for another sporting upset until... well, until the next World Cup qualifying starts. But not until then!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Congrats on Iceland and Panama going to make their world cup debut.
The only major upset is that there's not going to be USA, as they only ended up behind Panama and Honduras. But i guess that's karma for calling the sport soccer instead of football. So far the biggest loss is that chili didn't qualify. Also somehow Switzerland failed to win their group despite winning 9/10 games...
The war-plagued Syria got far but eventually lost their barrages against Australia.

In the reject regions, Andorra scored a wholly of 4 points this campaign and Faroe Islands 9 points!

Still 9 places to decide.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

George Weah, best known for being Ali Dia's 'cousin' is the favourite to become the new president of Liberia.

Whilst it's fair to speculate whether or not he's qualified for the job; Jordan Henderson plays for England on a regular basis. So I doubt he'd be less qualified than that.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

FullMetalJack wrote:George Weah, best known for being Ali Dia's 'cousin' is the favourite to become the new president of Liberia.

Whilst it's fair to speculate whether or not he's qualified for the job; Jordan Henderson plays for England on a regular basis. So I doubt he'd be less qualified than that.

I played a quiz tournament yesterday which mentioned George Weah as 'almost being elected President' of 'this country'. This clue was dropped far too early for British audiences. I wasn't the first to buzz.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
UncreativeUsername37

IT'S ANOTHER GREAT DAY IN NORDIC FOOTBALL
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

And another rejectful day in the Italian football. The national team hit the rock bottom this time. Italy needs to make a completely overhaul to be a strong team again.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
AdrianBelmonte_

Dj_bereta wrote:And another rejectful day in the Italian football. The national team hit the rock bottom this time. Italy needs to make a completely overhaul to be a strong team again.

Meh, just sack Ventura already
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Italy can join Netherlands in the corner where it hurts.

To be honest, to me it looked like an Italian DNQ was bound to happen sooner or later.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

This wrote:Italy can join Netherlands in the corner where it hurts.

To be honest, to me it looked like an Italian DNQ was bound to happen sooner or later.

Yeah, their record in the World Cups since 2006 is dreadful. Finished bottom of a relatively easy group in 2010 containing Paraguay, Slovakia and New Zealand, and then in 2014 also failing to make it out of a group of England, Costa Rica, and an admittedly pretty good Uruguay side. Interesting to see who they get in charge, heard rumours Conte might come back for round 2.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
UncreativeUsername37

When I first looked at the European groups, Denmark was the one country I was cheering for that I expected to qualify, but anyway, it's great to see all three succeed, especially after how things went last time
AdrianBelmonte_

Nobody's going to talk about Virgil Van Dijk's transfer record?
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Nobody's going to talk about Virgil Van Dijk's transfer record?

Too high up the football pyramid. Although for dinizintheoven, the Northern Premier League is too high up to be worth discussing.