The "we are still using doping" Cycling-thread!

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
tommykl

Re: The "we are still using doping" Cycling-thread!

Post by tommykl »

A bit of a bump just to brag about the fact that I'm going to see the Liège-Bastogne-Liège in person for the fourth year in succession. I'm lucky enough to live in a place where the race passes withing 2km of my house twice (morning and afternoon).
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

tommykl wrote:A bit of a bump just to brag about the fact that I'm going to see the Liège-Bastogne-Liège in person for the fourth year in succession. I'm lucky enough to live in a place where the race passes withing 2km of my house twice (morning and afternoon).

Avoid any contact with either cyclist sweat or used bidons. You might start to feel high and with better resistance.

Just joking. :lol:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Another bump- Anybody watching the Giro d'Italia?
TORA! TORA! TORA!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Another bump- Anybody watching the Giro d'Italia?

Crikey, I didn't realise that had already started.

With Evans loosing 37s in the TTT it'll be hard for him to claw that back unless he can somehow dominate Wiggins in the mountains.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
takagi_for_the_win

Stramala wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:Another bump- Anybody watching the Giro d'Italia?

Crikey, I didn't realise that had already started.

With Evans loosing 37s in the TTT it'll be hard for him to claw that back unless he can somehow dominate Wiggins in the mountains.

All I've heard about it is off BBC Sports' hopeless red button news, from which I have ascertained that Sky dominated the TTT, and something about Basso having a lump on his arse and having to withdraw.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Final few kilometres of (today's) Stage 4

Wiggins apparently lost time because of a crash near the end but I don't see where. Possible time adjustment to the rest of the peleton would happen if it's true. It's too early yet for any big moves.

Image Image
Rasmus

Post by Rasmus »

Wiggins didn't lose much time. Just a little split in the peloton I guess.

Anyway, I'm hoping Nibali is qoing to win overall. If not him then Sanchez. Exceptionel riders.
Blog about all things motorsport - http://motorsportist.wordpress.com/
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Rasmus wrote:Wiggins didn't lose much time. Just a little split in the peloton I guess.

Anyway, I'm hoping Nibali is qoing to win overall. If not him then Sanchez. Exceptionel riders.

As a Dane, I'm surprised you're not backing Saxo Bank!

Image Image
takagi_for_the_win

Just checked the GC, Urán Urán (who has one of the best surnames in cycling :P ) is actually in second :shock: I knew he was talented, but that is more than what I expected from him tbh
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Rasmus

Post by Rasmus »

Stramala wrote:
Rasmus wrote:Wiggins didn't lose much time. Just a little split in the peloton I guess.

As a Dane, I'm surprised you're not backing Saxo Bank!

Well. I am, but they don't have any real contenders in the squad. Only Majka who is able of a good overall result. Realistically I hope for a under 25 jersey for him :D

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Just checked the GC, Urán Urán (who has one of the best surnames in cycling :P ) is actually in second :shock: I knew he was talented, but that is more than what I expected from him tbh

Not too much to put into this at the moment. Just 4 stages with one of them being a TTT which Sky won. He has talent though, and is definitely into the top 10 in the end.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Rasmus wrote:Not too much to put into this at the moment. Just 4 stages with one of them being a TTT which Sky won. He has talent though, and is definitely into the top 10 in the end.

Depends how much he has to sacrifice himself later on, he's obviously there as a domestique for Wiggins.

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Just a small note on how Robert Gesink has managed to avoid a huge crash until now. He did, though, had a minor fall yesterday. Gesink sure makes Menchov look like an expert in handling a bike!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

DanielPT wrote:Just a small note on how Robert Gesink has managed to avoid a huge crash until now. He did, though, had a minor fall yesterday. Gesink sure makes Menchov look like an expert in handling a bike!

Gesink is a great rider on his own, but somehow he can't ride in a peloton very well. He usually gets shoved out of the way by more agressive riders, which sometimes results in a crash for Gesink.
He, like my other Dutch riders, might be better off in another team from another country. The team formerly known as Rabobank is a bit like Toyota in F1 was, huge budget but achieving little to nothing.
takagi_for_the_win

Rasmus wrote:Anyway, I'm hoping Nibali is qoing to win overall. If not him then Sanchez. Exceptionel riders.

After stage 9, Nibali is about half a minute clear of Evans, so you could well be happy :)

EDIT: Guys, hit the big one thousand! :D :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Rasmus

Post by Rasmus »

Very impressed by Rafal Majka on today's stage! Great to see Nibali a bit agressive as well and Evans fighting for his podium. Would've thought more of Scarponi but he can still get a stage winner later on.

Disappointed with Hesjedal and Sanchez. :/
takagi_for_the_win

Well there goes Sir Brad's hopes of winning in Italy...

Meanwhile, Cav's picked up a second stage win, and Nibali has a nice gap over Evans now
TORA! TORA! TORA!
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

The awful weather continues as tomorrow's stage that should finish on the Galibier has been shortened. Both the Galibier and Mont Cenis are out. http://www.gazzetta.it/Giroditalia/2013 ... 2863.shtml
I'm wondering what the weather will be next Friday, when they are crossing the Gavia, 25 years after the famous/notorious stage won by Erik Breukink after a snow storm on the Gavia. Image
Purple jersey wearer (points classement leader) Johan van der Velde in short sleeves (!) on the Gavia in 1988
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Bradley Wiggins' withdrawal from TdF doesn't seem likely to dent Team Sky's chances of the Maillot Jaune. Froome has just taken GC victory at the Critérium du Dauphiné, usually considered the 'warm-up' for the big event.

Image Image
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Chris Froome is taking leadership in the sky team for the Tour de France this year. Shame that Wiggins can't defend his title.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

What happened to Wiggins???
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

JeremyMcClean wrote:What happened to Wiggins???

Injuries and illnesses have prevented him from participating in the Tour de France this year. Sad, I know. But we still have Froome to cheer on!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

go_Rubens wrote:

Injuries and illnesses have prevented him from participating in the Tour de France this year. Sad, I know. But we still have Froome to cheer on!

Froome is the favourite for winning the Tour this year, especially with Team Sky behind him. This might be an unpopular opinion here, but I don't like Team Sky.
Their 'Sky Train' of last years Tour and this years Dauphiné (and probably this years Tour as well) was impressive and might be scientifically best, but is extremely boring to watch.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

The tour starts in the next 6-7 hours. Get ready for a hopefully awesome Tour de France!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Orica-Greenedge tried to neutralise the sprint finish...by crashing their bus into the finish line :shock:

Hasn't worked however, they're moving the finish to the 3KM to go banner, announcing it with only 6KM to go in the stage! Crazy stuff...

Edit: OH FFS. They redacted that decision after just getting the bus out, with 2K to go to the new finish, the organisers told everyone to go to the original finish, cue MASSIVE crash due to cascading effect of a sudden acceleration of half the field while the rest stay still. What a joke! They've got to neutralise this stage and give Lars Boom the green jersey.

Image Image
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Well, Kittel wins the stage after Sagan and Cavendish were in the crash, and Greipel broke his bike.

Anyway, congrats to Kittel! After atrocious luck for the others he got his chance and took it.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

So, Kittel said he had no idea there was a bus stuck at the finish, and no idea the finish had been temporarily moved to 3KM. You could tell he wasn't lying by the expression on his face!!

Image Image
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

I didn't think anything could be as farcical as the 2nd stage of the F1 Rejects Giro d'Italia, but I have been proved wrong today by real life!
Message me on Discord.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Shadaza wrote:I didn't think anything could be as farcical as the 2nd stage of the F1 Rejects Giro d'Italia, but I have been proved wrong today by real life!

What, the Stage 2 crash?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Hilarious. All the green jersey favorites riding the failboat today. Looks like we will be waiting a bit for a proper sprint finish.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

F1000X wrote:Hilarious. All the green jersey favorites riding the failboat today. Looks like we will be waiting a bit for a proper sprint finish.

Well, that won't be tomorrow :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Bleu

Post by Bleu »

The Dutch Bear wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

Froome is the favourite for winning the Tour this year, especially with Team Sky behind him. This might be an unpopular opinion here, but I don't like Team Sky.Their 'Sky Train' of last years Tour and this years Dauphiné (and probably this years Tour as well) was impressive and might be scientifically best, but is extremely boring to watch.

I don't like the team either.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Stramala wrote:So, Kittel said he had no idea there was a bus stuck at the finish, and no idea the finish had been temporarily moved to 3KM. You could tell he wasn't lying by the expression on his face!!

This makes me wonder whether there was any rider whose last information was that the finish is at 3 km.
Anyway, same time for everyone was a good decision. Hopefully, tomorrow's stage will have less crashes.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Well, I wasn't expecting the jersey holders to last very long :lol:

EDIT: A RadioShack rider won by 1 second. Uh, who?

Anyway, the RadioShack rider gets the Yellow Jersey.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

The yellow and green jersey competitions are now over, calling it now.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

F1000X wrote:The yellow and green jersey competitions are now over, calling it now.

I wont say they are over. Froome only has a 1:25 second lead on Valverde. Not much for Tour de France standards.

The green jersey I think will go to Sagan again, seeing he has been the best overall sprinter, seeing he is better on mountains than his rivals, making him get ahead. But it's not over until it is over.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

takagi_for_the_win

go_Rubens wrote:
F1000X wrote:The yellow and green jersey competitions are now over, calling it now.

I wont say they are over. Froome only has a 1:25 second lead on Valverde. Not much for Tour de France standards.

The green jersey I think will go to Sagan again, seeing he has been the best overall sprinter, seeing he is better on mountains than his rivals, making him get ahead. But it's not over until it is over.

No, its a one minute 25 second lead, which after 9 stages is pretty handy. He's also a better time-triallist than Valverde, so in essence the gap is even bigger.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

go_Rubens wrote:

They're NEVER going to change hands again, those gaps are NEVER going to shrink. That's nothing but over.
Don't get me wrong, I hate tremendously that this is the case, but Froome has the best support team in SKY by far. The idea that Valverde or Contador can do anything to fight back without comparable support is ridiculous.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

F1000X wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

They're NEVER going to change hands again, those gaps are NEVER going to shrink. That's nothing but over.
Don't get me wrong, I hate tremendously that this is the case, but Froome has the best support team in SKY by far. The idea that Valverde or Contador can do anything to fight back without comparable support is ridiculous.

Really? Froome won Stage 8 with no one near him on his team and in Stage 9 he only had one or 2 teammates in the first chase group. For me, the fact he is going without teammates half the time is saying that he can win without much support from his domestiques, but the Tour is only in Stage 9! There are 20 odd stages in this year's tour. Anything can happen, like Evans cracking in the final stages last year.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

go_Rubens wrote: Really? Froome won Stage 8 with no one near him on his team and in Stage 9 he only had one or 2 teammates in the first chase group. For me, the fact he is going without teammates half the time is saying that he can win without much support from his domestiques, but the Tour is only in Stage 9! There are 20 odd stages in this year's tour. Anything can happen, like Evans cracking in the final stages last year.

Yes and no. He had Richie Porte with him almost the whole way, who only dropped off of Froome after they had both dropped everyone else. Based on his performance on Stage 9, Porte had completely destroyed himself that day to put Froome in position to win the stage. That's about the best support you could ask for.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

F1000X wrote:
go_Rubens wrote: Really? Froome won Stage 8 with no one near him on his team and in Stage 9 he only had one or 2 teammates in the first chase group. For me, the fact he is going without teammates half the time is saying that he can win without much support from his domestiques, but the Tour is only in Stage 9! There are 20 odd stages in this year's tour. Anything can happen, like Evans cracking in the final stages last year.

Yes and no. He had Richie Porte with him almost the whole way, who only dropped off of Froome after they had both dropped everyone else. Based on his performance on Stage 9, Porte had completely destroyed himself that day to put Froome in position to win the stage. That's about the best support you could ask for.

Froome was also by himself basically the whole of Stage 9. No one else could bring themselves back up. At least they have a rest day so they can recover.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool